Tell me about Jewel...

Starting to plan our 2017 cruise schedule, and thinking of taking the Jewel out of San Juan, for a southern Caribbean tour. Have sailed Freedom and Grandeur in the past (loved FOS, Grandeur was so-so), and going on Allure in January. Looked at reviews, but recent ones appear mixed. Would love to hear your thoughts on Jewel, and on SJ as a departure port. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Windjammer has a big outside seating area, which is marvelous. I think it's the only class that has outside Windjammer seating. The elevators have the day-of-the-week plates like the larger ships (not all the smaller classes have those, and I think they are great).

They can retract half of the glass roof.

I've been on several Radiance class ships, and while it is possible, I have never seen it open.

OP

I've been on all of the Radiance class ship (which Jewel is apart of) and love the class. Glass and ocean just about everywhere. Outdoor seating for WJ, and the full walk around promenade deck. The helipad is a fantastic place to sit and you come and and head out of a port. Many people don't find it until mid week, so get there early to enjoy it.

We have done the southern route several times. Love the trip past the fort when heading out of PR. It being all lit up at night makes it one of the truly memorable ports.

I have always enjoyed the Jewel - Have done several long and short cruises on it. It will be going to dry dock next year to get all of the upgrades (During April), so it will have some of the newer features prior to your cruise.

I was just on Jewel for the Vancouver to L.A. repositioning and had a great time. The crew was great and I wouldn't hesitate to go on it again. Actually the only reason I don't go on it more is the flight from Minneapolis to San Juan, the extra time and the extra cost (its about double of both). BUT It is nice to leave from a warm place in the winter though instead of waiting a day or 2 to get there!

The only other thing to think about is why you didn't like the Grandeur. If it was the size compared to the Freedom - the Jewel is only slightly bigger than the Grandeur so still much smaller than the Freedom.

OP...located on deck six is the Schooner Bar and was our favorite spot for a pre diner drink or two.The Safari Club is close by. The pool tables are located between the Schooner bar and the Safari Club. At the back of the ship connected to the Safari club is an area to sit and look out the big rear facing windows while enjoying a drink or two. We thought this whole area was really cool.

The only other thing to think about is why you didn't like the Grandeur. If it was the size compared to the Freedom - the Jewel is only slightly bigger than the Grandeur so still much smaller than the Freedom.

To be fair, my feelings toward the Grandeur may be marred by my experience with noro onboard, compounded by the older demographics (I'm in my early 50s, so admittedly am not a spring chicken myself!)...

Any cruise out of SJU will be great if your looking for warm weather. Many of the itineraries are 5 stops....with a day touring SJU you end up with 6!

The Jewel has a "small ship" classy feel that appeals to the traditional cruiser. If you tour each port the ship ends up being secondary. We sailed Jewel March 25 and were surprised to find very few children were on board. We will be back on board after the 2016 dry dock. The Jewel Windjammer was my favorite of any ship.

Have sailed on JOS a few times most recently did the southern caribbean out of San Juan with the Aruba..Curacao itinerary....

Loved the Seaview Cafe and will miss that classic feature when she gets the updates. However she was looking a bit tired but still maintained well.

Doing a B2B out of San Juan in May 2016 but opted for the AOS this time.

Edited by Ashland

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are going March 2017 for the St. Thomas/St. kitts/Antigua/St. Lucia/Barbados itinerary.

It will be our first cruise so we are going down to PR a day or two early and making it 6 ports!

I'm excited to see what the experience is like also!

We were originally booked on NCL Gem 10 day and changed to this to enjoy more warm weather time and more ports.

• 3 weeks later...
The Windjammer has a big outside seating area, which is marvelous. I think it's the only class that has outside Windjammer seating. The elevators have the day-of-the-week plates like the larger ships (not all the smaller classes have those, and I think they are great).

I think it'll be gone after dry dock though :(

I've been on several Radiance class ships, and while it is possible, I have never seen it open.

OP

I've been on all of the Radiance class ship (which Jewel is apart of) and love the class. Glass and ocean just about everywhere. Outdoor seating for WJ, and the full walk around promenade deck. The helipad is a fantastic place to sit and you come and and head out of a port. Many people don't find it until mid week, so get there early to enjoy it.

We have done the southern route several times. Love the trip past the fort when heading out of PR. It being all lit up at night makes it one of the truly memorable ports.

Keep in mind that the full walk around promenade involves two flights of stairs

We just got off the Jewel. She's my favorite of the Radiance class ships. We sailed Serenade and Brilliance just before dry dock as well and if I had to compare, the Jewel is in the best shape of the three before their updates. I'd sail her again anytime.

I love the Jewel of the Seas! My husband and I cruised aboard her out of San Juan for our honeymoon last year. It was my second trip on Jewel, the first was a few years before after graduating from college. Both trips were great, but the one out of San juan was just amazing. We stayed in Old San Juan for two nights before the cruise to explore the historic city and the famous forts. We stayed at a wonderful bed and breakfast, Villa Herencia, its within walking distance of the forts, restaurants, and historical buildings, in fact it's a historical building itself! We did have to take a taxi to the cruise terminal from this location. As for the Jewel itself, I highly recommend Chops. It's also one of the last ships that has a Portifino's Italian Restaurant. They did a mystery dinner on our cruise and we had a blast. My DH was not thrilled at first but as the evening went on he enjoyed it and picked it for one of his favorite nights. In the Windjammer, just keep walking toward the back especially on the first few days. There is an open seating area which is usually deserted the first few days. The Jewel is also the last ship to have a Seaview Cafe one deck above the Windjammer. I did notice that the passengers aboard this cruise were extremely friendly and knew how to dress! Formal night was like a New York gala! It was awesome!!

Edited by SharkCruiser24

Our last 3 cruises have been on the Radiance class [Jewel, Radiance, and Serenade in that order] and frankly, I would not go out of my way for any of them. Of the 3 I enjoyed Radiance the most and Serenade the least with Jewel a close second at the bottom end of the scale. If the itinerary is good, they are acceptable -- that is the best I can say. The "all that glass" gushing is way over blown. There is a lot of glass, but most of it is crusted with sea spray. I much prefer being out on deck. And I have not been on any ship [RCI or otherwise] that you cannot find a good view (inside or out) if you want one [have not yet cruised Quantum or Oasis class]. I did enjoy the outdoor seating in the Jammer [and it is NOT going away with the new renovations -- Serenade has been through the renovations and the outdoor area is still there]. Amazingly, Serenade has been through the recent refurbishing and is still tired. A lot of rust, frayed and beaten up furniture, chipped paint and beaten up surfaces in our cabin and, as some one is a recent review mentioned, a lot of surfaces, bar tops, table tops, etc. just seemed sticky as if not quite clean. In general the absolute worst service I have received on any RCI ship has been on Jewel and Serenade. Keep in mind our Jewel cruise has now been a while and staff's change.

Anyway, if the itinerary appeals to you, go for it [and I will defer to those who have been there for comments on San Juan (but I would like to try it)], but I would not walk across the street for a Radiance class ship.