Desserts

OK, Ladies & Gents.. I need to know the score on desserts on the RCI ships. I'm sailing on the Vision in March, but I think the menus are the same for all the ships (at least in the MDR).

I've previously sailed Carnival and still dream of the Chocolate Melting Cake, and the Bitter and Blanc. Does Royal have something comparable? Even better?

What desserts do you look most forward to on Royal?

Key Lime Pie.

that's a good one! In fact, there are lots of really good ones. I don't usually eat desserts, because if I have one, then I have to eat 5 more ... :D ... it is a good way to sample different desserts though ...

Desserts are the one area where I think Royal Caribbean is severely lacking. The best for me is the Chocolate Sensation in the main dining room. The apple crisp is good as well. There is a peach-blueberry crumble that is a little weird for me, but a lot of people like it.

I don't even go to the dessert bar in the Windjammer anymore. The cookies are bad. Anything that looks like a mousse or gel is made with some type of base that I find horrid. One or two dining room desserts have it too, including the mango pudding, which is nothing like I expected "pudding" to be the first time I ordered it. It's certainly nothing like mango pudding that my local Indian restaurants serve. However, the Royal mango pudding is the one "foamy" dessert, as I call them, that I can handle (now that I know what to expect) and I order it occasionally.

Other than that, I tend to really like the food. I just have an issue with the desserts. Personal preference.

Edited by emory2001

I love something with chocolate in it for dessert. On one cruise I decided not to have dessert since I noticed they did not have anything with chocolate in it on the dessert menu. After chatting with the waiter they brought me a brownie sundae. It was delicious. So if you don't see what you like on their dessert menu ask for something else.

I think I may have my picture up in the WJ's for the most complaints about their deserts...I've cruised for many years with RCI and have seen what used to be wonderful deserts to now barely edible gelatin based no taste offerings. I write/speak about this subject when ever given the chance. I continue to hope that if enough of us speak about it RCI may just hire some good southern bakers to give the desert chef's some much needed lessons !!!!

I think I may have my picture up in the WJ's for the most complaints about their deserts...I've cruised for many years with RCI and have seen what used to be wonderful deserts to now barely edible gelatin based no taste offerings. I write/speak about this subject when ever given the chance. I continue to hope that if enough of us speak about it RCI may just hire some good southern bakers to give the desert chef's some much needed lessons !!!!

Ha! This makes me feel better about bringing it up. My husband and I feel this strongly as well.

We had an absolutely wonderful cruise in August but my hubby wrote all about how disappointed he was in the desserts on the survey after the cruise. He gave everything high marks and wrote praise for great employees but it was very important to him that they hear how very disappointed he was in the desserts. My daughter and I did not find good desserts either except I liked the chocolate chip cookies and she liked the coconut ranger cookies. I hope you have better luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, Ladies & Gents.. I need to know the score on desserts on the RCI ships. I'm sailing on the Vision in March, but I think the menus are the same for all the ships (at least in the MDR).

I've previously sailed Carnival and still dream of the Chocolate Melting Cake, and the Bitter and Blanc. Does Royal have something comparable? Even better?

What desserts do you look most forward to on Royal?

On Rhapsody in Sept had a delicious chocolate molten cake. I always like cherry jubilee also. In Windjammer for afternoon snack - choose the "plainer" looking cake - usually good especially the orange flavored one. Avoid the "goopy" desserts - eg gelatin mousses.

I like the Chocolate Sensation, also.

However, I feel the desserts on the whole are very lacking. The descriptions on the menu often sound good but in reality they definitely do not deliver.

An example, is Cherries Jubilee. There's seems to be vanilla ice cream with cherries on top. It tastes good, but is nothing special.

I have often complained on the survey of my disappointment with the desserts. Especially that they lack chocolate. The desserts also lack the richness most of us look for in a good dessert.

We had an absolutely wonderful cruise in August but my hubby wrote all about how disappointed he was in the desserts on the survey after the cruise. He gave everything high marks and wrote praise for great employees but it was very important to him that they hear how very disappointed he was in the desserts. My daughter and I did not find good desserts either except I liked the chocolate chip cookies and she liked the coconut ranger cookies. I hope you have better luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect !!!! Thanks for noting that negative desert review on the survey...hopefully more cruiser's will...and just maybe RCI might eventually listen.

The best I had was warm chocolate sponge pudding with custard. This was in the Windjammer at lunch onboard Explorer. The dessert might be a British thing too.

Most of the desserts with RCI aren't very good imo and most are all very similar and vey mousse base. As another said, they look better than taste.