Curaçao's Floating bridge-gone!

Caribensun

Just back from 10 Cruise on Oosterdam.

The Queen Emma floating (walking) bridge is gone, you have to walk further past where the floating bridge was and take a ferry into the downtown. They hope the new floating bridge will be done in Jan/Feb.

The ferry runs every 30 min. It was very hot/humid and windy.

Curaçao is still a wonderful cruise port. Enjoy!

Sandipalms

Haven't been to the island since 2007, has the construction been completed near where the ships dock?

If so it must be very nice as there was a lot of work taking place in 07.

We'll be there in December on the Oosterdam

Thanks

mllewis48: Haven't been to the island since 2007, has the construction been completed near where the ships dock?

Yes. The area near the dock that goes through the Renaissance Hotel and through the fort is complete and it is really nice.

On the other hand, I think the area across bridge (ferry) has gone downhill. The cultural influence seems to have changed since 2007 and alot of the shops that used to carry embroidery and artwork have been replaced with trashy t-shirts.

Another lover of the bridge who was shocked by the thread title.

Now, if that was Ottawa, they'd probably decide to do a ferry refit at the same time. :)

Very funny!

Apparently the bridge has been towed up river where they're working on it. It's one of the cooler bridges I've ever seen. I'm a sucker for swing bridges, railroad round houses, and the like.

Another lover of the bridge who was shocked by the thread title.

Now, if that was Ottawa, they'd probably decide to do a ferry refit at the same time. :)

ha-- good one,, but that could also include Toronto and Hamilton where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing :D

Edited by maxie99

Haven't been to the island since 2007, has the construction been completed near where the ships dock?

We'll be there in December on the Oosterdam

Thanks

The Mega Pier is finished and they did a great job on Rif Fort and Renaissance. I think it's a wonderful area. We've always enjoyed our visits to Curacao and through the years, they keep getting better and better. :)

I remember the last time they moved the bridge to work on it. I think it took a few months to upgrade. During the busy part of the day the ferries run about every three minutes. Two of them back to back. That's fun too! The first time I saw that bridge was in 1968, when it was the only way across and all traffic used it. It was only after they built the big high steel bridge that the floating bridge was made pedestrian only.

I remember the last time they moved the bridge to work on it. I think it took a few months to upgrade. During the busy part of the day the ferries run about every three minutes. Two of them back to back. That's fun too! The first time I saw that bridge was in 1968, when it was the only way across and all traffic used it. It was only after they built the big high steel bridge that the floating bridge was made pedestrian only.

Thanks for that, Steelboat, as I wasn't aware of the fact that cars had once used this bridge. I was able to google it and come up with a photo:

69YFti

Thanks for that, Steelboat, as I wasn't aware of the fact that cars had once used this bridge. I was able to google it and come up with a photo:

69YFti

I wonder what year that photo was taken.

I noticed the buildings aren't painted the fun pastel colors they have been for years. Where's the bright yellow Penha building? :D Those cars look older than those still in Cuba.

Edited by sail7seas

Glad it will be back. It was certainly a big part of what makes Curacao a great cruise port of call….

Thanks for sharing the pic! I was looking forward to seeing the bridge on our January cruise… Guess I'll just have to advocate for another SoCarib in a year or two. ;)