Balcony size -- Brilliance

Jay Bee

We are deciding between a hump cabin (7604) and one forward of the lifeboat "obstructed view" cabins (7540). I've read that those forward balconies are a little larger. For anyone who has sampled both, how much bigger is it?

Thanks,

Jan

I haven't been in the forward cabins you refer to...but a word of caution on the hump cabins....if you are not a night owl they tend to be VERY noisy!

We had a hump cabin on deck 8 and could hear the music from the Centrum even with the door closed until late at night...sometimes midnight or later...needless to say I'm NOT a night owl & found it very disturbing...won't book hump again on a Radiance class ship...

I haven't been in the forward cabins you refer to...but a word of caution on the hump cabins....if you are not a night owl they tend to be VERY noisy!

We had a hump cabin on deck 8 and could hear the music from the Centrum even with the door closed until late at night...sometimes midnight or later...needless to say I'm NOT a night owl & found it very disturbing...won't book hump again on a Radiance class ship...

We have had hump balconies on deck 8 many times (have one in 2 weeks) and we have never had an issue with noise. Once I got to bed, I am asleep. Any noise from the Centrum has never bothered us. We have had hump balconies on all the Radiance class ships and never have had an issue with noise. They are our FAVORITE balconies on the Radiance Class Ships b/c you can see both directions with no obstruction below

We had a hump--8596--on Brilliance. It was assigned from a GTY. We were very pleased with the cabin.

The balcony is not any larger than usual. Also, the pie shaped balcony nearby could look into part of pour balcony. The room was not noisy and the location was great. It was close to everything.

I can not comment on the forward balconies.

Thanks for all the input. Since we've enjoyed the hump in the past, we're going to risk the noise.

Incidentally, we booked this relatively late so there weren't a lot of choices. I booked a forward cabin and checked frequently to see what might open up on the hump, but nothing better did. Yesterday, I ventured to check the uk site, and there were lots of rooms not listed on the u.s. site, including a few nice hump rooms. Plugging the cabin number into the booking page on the u.s. site worked quite well.

Jan

Can you please define a "hump" cabin, I want to make sure I am not booked in one of those? Thank you!

Take a look at the deck plans, and you will see an area around the elevators near midship where the outline bulges outward. That's the hump.

We had a hump cabin on Jewel I think deck 8 and you could definitely hear the music thumping in the centrum fairly late. It didn't bother us or keep us awake, but if someone likes to turn in early and is a light sleeper I could see it being an issue for them.

We are deciding between a hump cabin (7604) and one forward of the lifeboat "obstructed view" cabins (7540). I've read that those forward balconies are a little larger. For anyone who has sampled both, how much bigger is it?

Thanks,

Jan

You would be wise to keep that hump #7604...You might be very sorry taking one of those extended balconies forward...hate that waist height plexiglass partial divider near the rail :eek:

We had a forward balcony on deck 7 on Jewel. If I remember correctly the cabin above us could look right down on us since ours extended out further. We hardly used ours at all. Have a hump on deck 8 in two weeks on Brilliance. I usually love being on the hump.

We were on the Brilliance in cabin 7046. This is the first cabin on the port side forward bump.

This is the balcony

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89869603/c70462.JPG

This is the view toward the back of the ship.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89869603/c70461.JPG

Edited by jesrestin
to correct picture

I've had both. I was in 7546 on the Radiance and 7608 on the Serenade. I loved both of them for the extra space.

The forward balconies are considerably bigger. Yes, there's a section that's not walled off from your next door neighbor, but it wasn't a problem. On Hubbard Glacier Day we were handing cameras over to our neighbors so they could take shots of us with the glacier in the background and vice/versa. On days when we wanted privacy, we sat in the more sheltered part of our balcony ... and our neighbors did as well.

On the hump balcony we could hear the music in the Centrum if we retired early (which was maybe one night), but it was muffled and it didn't disturb me.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got off Brilliance on Saturday and we had a hump cabin - 9092. LOVED it. Had no noise issues from the Centrum whatsoever. In fact one morning as I was leaving the cabin I opened the door and -- WOW -- the music was pretty loud. But I hadn't heard it 2 seconds earlier inside the cabin before I opened the door!