Viking Crown Lounge

copi2boys

No more VCL on the Allure. If you are pinnacle or in a GS or higher you can use the old VCL which is now the Suite Lounge.

The VCL has only been replaced on the Oasis class. There is no VCL on the Quantum class, instead they have the Two70 lounge which in my opinion is a better venue anyway.

The deck 3/4 nightclubs are being removed from the Freedom and Voyager class ships with the nighttime activities being pushed up to the VCL.

Edited by Yorkvillain

It seems the VCLs are being phased out? Would be so sad, it is our go-to place for a night cap.

As a long time RCI customer who experienced my first Viking Crown experience on Song of America I am very disappointed that RCI has chosen to eliminate them in new builds and restrict access to Suite and Pinnacle guests in recent conversions of the Viking Crowns. This was a hallmark of the brand that kept many of us coming back. Too sad! :mad::confused:

As a long time RCI customer who experienced my first Viking Crown experience on Song of America I am very disappointed that RCI has chosen to eliminate them in new builds and restrict access to Suite and Pinnacle guests in recent conversions of the Viking Crowns. This was a hallmark of the brand that kept many of us coming back. Too sad! :mad::confused:

Most of the existing ships still have VCL open to everyone. Changes to Liberty coming up will leave the VCL intact. It is the card room (on 14) that is being turned into a Suite Lounge. The current CL will become the card room.

The conversion of the VCL on the Oasis class ships is the one big drawback for them. There is absolutely no other indoor public lounge to view the ocean while enjoying a drink. At least on the Freedom/Voyager you have other options.

The conversion of the VCL on the Oasis class ships is the one big drawback for them. There is absolutely no other indoor public lounge to view the ocean while enjoying a drink. At least on the Freedom/Voyager you have other options.

Whether it is "one big drawback" or an impressive feature depends solely upon whether you've booked a suite.

Agree

We book suites on NCL and sail in the Haven. So, we really dont book just for the cabin but also the Haven courtyard. On RCCL we book "regular" balconies. While its nice to have a great cabin I would also like space comparable to the Haven, which RCCL doesnt offer. From what Ive been reading it seems that RCCL is slowly trying to change to more of a suite space for its guests. If RCCL had a separate "Haven" area and pool, restaurant, bar etc, I would certainly be interested in sailing concierge.

My post is to mean that while I do enjoy the Viking Crown Lounge, I can also understand why RCCL may want to begin changing them.

Ill be sailing on Indy over NYE in an aft balcony on deck 7, and Im happy to read they still have the lounge.

Edited by js

Maybe this would be the time to fill us in as to why you think this?

Seems like they are being changed over to suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen on the Oasis class ships. Quantum and Anthem don't have a VCL. On Legend it seemed like most of that area was taken up by Izumi, but we had a good time in the lounge area anyways!

Edited by copi2boys

Seems like they are being changed over to suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen on the Oasis class ships. Quantum and Anthem don't have a VCL. On Legend it seemed like most of that area was taken up by Izumi, but we had a good time in the lounge area anyways!

So far that adds up to only 2 out of 22

Why are those of us that pay premium prices for suites so disliked?

It's not you per se. It's that to give you more, Royal is taking away things that were available to all. Most non-suiters are probably OK with you getting more as long as it doesn't mean we're getting less. When it does, then it's a problem. Good example: the new suites-only sun deck/lounge/bar above the Solarium on Oasis class. More for you, not less for me, winner winner. Unlike the Viking Crown, a signature feature, which used to be available to 5000+ guests, now limited to what, 200? Shameful.

It's not you per se. It's that to give you more, Royal is taking away things that were available to all. Most non-suiters are probably OK with you getting more as long as it doesn't mean we're getting less. When it does, then it's a problem. Good example: the new suites-only sun deck/lounge/bar above the Solarium on Oasis class. More for you, not less for me, winner winner. Unlike the Viking Crown, a signature feature, which used to be available to 5000+ guests, now limited to what, 200? Shameful.

But, from what I've read (not personal experience), it seems that a huge portion of those 5000+ guests never even stepped foot in the VCL on Oasis Class. I've seen posts about it being underutilized time and time again. I think that was the problem.

On the smaller ships, I think its a different story. Here's hoping that the VCL's remain on any classes below Oasis. To me, it seems like the VCL is a key part of the smaller-than-Oasis ships. Didn't seem like it was that way on the Oasis and Allure.

I could'nt have said it better myself!

But, from what I've read (not personal experience), it seems that a huge portion of those 5000+ guests never even stepped foot in the VCL on Oasis Class. I've seen posts about it being underutilized time and time again. I think that was the problem.

On the smaller ships, I think its a different story. Here's hoping that the VCL's remain on any classes below Oasis. To me, it seems like the VCL is a key part of the smaller-than-Oasis ships. Didn't seem like it was that way on the Oasis and Allure.

I agree that the VCLs were underutilized on oasis and allure. The new Builds all have eliminated VCLs. 3 Quantum and 4 Oasis ships - 7 so far, not just 2 ships. We will miss this space if we cruise on the new ships.

We would be very disappointed if the VCL went away on all of the ships. It is probably the place that we enjoy most on our cruises and we enjoy it on a daily basis whether its for a sale away or a before dinner drink. The past couple of cruises we've been on its been a pretty busy place. We have been on 2 Princess cruises and won't go on any more because they don't have anything comparable to VCL available to regular passengers. When we asked where we could have a drink with an ocean view we were told to go out on deck... IN THE RAIN. We use this space as a gathering place at the end of the day when we cruise with family or friends. We're looking forward to enjoying the VCL on the Indy 11/30 sailing.

We would be very disappointed if the VCL went away on all of the ships. It is probably the place that we enjoy most on our cruises and we enjoy it on a daily basis whether its for a sale away or a before dinner drink. The past couple of cruises we've been on its been a pretty busy place. We have been on 2 Princess cruises and won't go on any more because they don't have anything comparable to VCL available to regular passengers. When we asked where we could have a drink with an ocean view we were told to go out on deck... IN THE RAIN. We use this space as a gathering place at the end of the day when we cruise with family or friends. We're looking forward to enjoying the VCL on the Indy 11/30 sailing.

Slywalker's?

Our very first cruise was in 2013 on Freedom of the Seas. We loved the VCL. It was underutilized. I rarely counted more than five or six people there. We only went there during the day. Perhaps it was busier at night.

• 2 months later...