Cruising with broken ankle?

jer630

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are booked on a cruise right after Thanksgiving, but she just recently broke her ankle. The cruise is for her birthday and she still wants to make the most of it, but she will probably not be walking much, if at all, by then. If anyone has ever cruised with a broken ankle/leg, and has any tips/experiences that you wouldn't otherwise think of cruising on two legs, we's certainly like to hear!

We've seen many using a knee walker. Looks like a scooter, but knee height.

If she won't be able to put any weight on it look into using a scooter. The disability board has lots of info. Only a few can be rolled into a standard cabin. They cannot be stored outside of the cabin.

A shower stool might also be handy.

If it were me I would ask my doctor about the possibility of applying a waterproof cast before leaving for your cruise. Also make sure that she has insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.

We have vacationed with DD when she had a watercast on her wrist and she was able to swim and go boating and it really helped the whole family enjoy the vacation more. Good luck :)

Hi fellow South Carolinians! :)

I was recovering from a badly broken leg on a cruise and found using crutches to be easy and convenient. Once I got the hang of using them, I could get around very quickly.

Wishing your girlfriend a speedy recovery and to having a wonderful cruise even with the broken ankle. :)

LuLu

Though we did not cruise this past summer, we did do a land vacation with me having a broken ankle.

First of course consult a doctor. Hopefully you have insurance. If you have to cancel, make sure you get a doctor's note.

Our timing was I broke my ankle in late May on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and was operated on the following Thursday. We flew to Paris 10+ weeks later landing in Paris on our wedding anniversary. At that point I was using a walking boot on my left leg. With that I was able to get around. Ten weeks was the original time frame my doctor gave for enough weight bearing to possibly be able to make our trip. I made good progress, and at the appointment the day before we left, he gave us his ok.

It sounds to me that she is not within this time frame. But again, it's her doctor that should be giving the thumbs up or down for the trip.

BTW, if you have to fly to your cruise, you can get on your plane first when she shows them her walking boot at the boarding gate.

I hope this was helpful, and good luck.

So much walking on a ship....rent a scooter or wheelchair so she can use her energy in ports and be able to take it easier aboard....even if she is able to get into w walking cast by then the rest of the body wearies from the adjustment....hope you have a wonderful time!

You, your GF and her doctor have to make this decision.

None of us know her health otherwise or the severity of the break or what her doctor thinks is best for her.

Very sorry for this happening but hoping she makes a good recovery.

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are booked on a cruise right after Thanksgiving, but she just recently broke her ankle. The cruise is for her birthday and she still wants to make the most of it, but she will probably not be walking much, if at all, by then. If anyone has ever cruised with a broken ankle/leg, and has any tips/experiences that you wouldn't otherwise think of cruising on two legs, we's certainly like to hear!

[/size go for it if the doctor gives the ok. ask for a shower seat. went with a broken ankle four weeks after the surgey. had a travel wheel chair. you can buy one at big box store. the best vacation i ever had. did not get off the ship. could not go in the ocean with booth. but if was free. everything was handycapped accessible. i did not have this at home. if available ask for hc cabin, if not go in regular cabin but go go go

So much walking on a ship....rent a scooter or wheelchair so she can use her energy in ports and be able to take it easier aboard....even if she is able to get into w walking cast by then the rest of the body wearies from the adjustment....hope you have a wonderful time!

Scooter rentals are through "Care Vacations" or "Special Needs at Sea". Get contact info online.

My DW has rented a scooter on all of our cruises and is all over the ship in addition to all of the ports we have stopped.

If it were me I would ask my doctor about the possibility of applying a waterproof cast before leaving for your cruise. Also make sure that she has insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.

We have vacationed with DD when she had a watercast on her wrist and she was able to swim and go boating and it really helped the whole family enjoy the vacation more. Good luck :)

I need to disagree with the advice about engaging is water/beach activities. I can tell you from personal experience that sand inside a cast is nasty. And that experience did not involve salt water.

I need to disagree with the advice about engaging is water/beach activities. I can tell you from personal experience that sand inside a cast is nasty. And that experience did not involve salt water.

With a water cast you can shower or bathe or pour water down the cast if you get sand in it. It's not like a plaster of peris cast, it's meant to get wet. DD had no issues and we stayed at a lakeside cottage for a week.

The lady could just swim in the pools on board and soak in the hot tubs if her doctor says that's ok and she could choose to go to resorts with day passes on the islands and swim in the pools and rinse off in the fresh water showers. There's ways to enjoy the water that don't involve sand. :) My DD was 10 and loved it. If it were me, I would at least ask my doctor if he thought it was possible.

Edited by Karysa

Start with the Dr and get cleared to go.

Then call and see if you can get switched into an accessible room. If there is anyone who did not fill out the form that they actually needed the accessible room, they should switch you. You'll need to probably fax in a form saying you have a real need of the accessible room.

Highly recommend a scooter and shower seat. DD did one last summer in a wheelchair and managed, but a scooter would have been better.

Right up my alley. I broke may ankle last October and we had a cruise booked out of Tampa for November.

I was non weight bearing for 8 weeks, so I had to be in a wheel chair.

I don't know if you are flying or not, but at the airport they have wheel chairs with attendants to take you to and from your terminal. Soooo helpful. They wheel you right onto the plane and take you off.

Instead of renting a wheelchair on the ship, we rented a collapsible walker with a seat at our local drug store. Soooo much easier to get around the ship, getting off the ship at ports and getting around the Islands. You can even sit on it in the shower, as is is made of some kind of metal and has a waterproof seat. Worked out GREAT.

Good luck to you both. Even though there may be some obstacles, you will still have a great time. :)