What if this Diamond Lounge change happened...

Just out of curiosity, if you were to smoke some sticks on Quantum, where would have smoked them? Hypothetically speaking of course. :D

They had a covered smoking area on one of the outside lower decks. 5 or 6 I think. You can also smoke at any outside smoking area. It was fine but I missed the cigar lounge.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

This status thing keeps coming up.

Forked out for a suite on my upcoming first cruise. Seems we just get a bigger room. Not even a free drink. Looks like we subsidise those who do this often and get perks. Those who say you have invested money, no you haven't. You have bought holidays on cruises. You have got what you paid for. This status system is to entice some to return but has the side effect to deter others.

I've never seen anyone whine so much about status before they've even taken their first cruise. How about taking your first cruise, see how things work, and then form an opinion. You'll have a little more credibility with one cruise under your belt. You're in a suite and you don't even know what the benefits are. :confused: Happy sailing. ;)

I've never seen anyone whine so much about status before they've even taken their first cruise. How about taking your first cruise, see how things work, and then form an opinion. You'll have a little more credibility with one cruise under your belt. You're in a suite and you don't even know what the benefits are. :confused: Happy sailing. ;)

I believe it is only a JS, very limited perks

I believe it is only a JS, very limited perks

I stand by the gist of my post. ;)

I would hope so too. Unless Emerald Dollars are worth more than ordinary one's.

In one sense you would think that they would want to accommodate the newcomer more to encourage them back. The regulars are going to keep going anyway.

I will never ever be a Diamond. This whole "status" thing which seems to permeate these discussions is really putting me off. Our first cruise will be in a couple of weeks and it will most probably be our only cruise. Have learned a lot so far to prepare, some of it has been good and I can see the appeal, but a lot of stuff has left me cold. having said that we may get on board and find the impressions we have from here are not accurate and then would be back. One of the things which irks me is the class system on status levels and feeling like we are boarding as steerage passengers and an under class and made to feel we should grovel to our betters.

What I am saying is that there is a perception that there is a definite class system on board these ships. I do understand that you get what you pay for and as such I tend to book Business Seats for long haul flights now as over the 24hr+ journey the extra comfort is worth the cost. We have booked a suite on this cruise for the same reason. If there were extra facilities for the level paid for then that is not a problem. That does not seem to be the way the system works and it has evolved into the class system which is widely discussed on these boards.
I am not worried which queue and will probably join the steerage passengers. I will be able to pat their chickens while waiting. :D

Will make sure I am wearing a hat too to pay respect to those in the other lines if they have their lapel pins.

This status thing keeps coming up.

Forked out for a suite on my upcoming first cruise. Seems we just get a bigger room. Not even a free drink. Looks like we subsidise those who do this often and get perks. Those who say you have invested money, no you haven't. You have bought holidays on cruises. You have got what you paid for. This status system is to entice some to return but has the side effect to deter others.

Edited by Big_G

Sure is, but this time it just might happen in 2016.

With the addition of a Suite Lounge on Oasis Class now and the Concierge Lounge being changed to a Diamond Lounge, it's just a matter of time when other ships will follow suit.

Cruising more than one markets, I tend to disagree. This might only apply to ships sailing regularly on Diamond heavy mature markets like those sailing out of the US (Oasis, Allure, Freedom etc) and or even transatlantic sailings where you can have as much as 800 Diamonds on board.

RCCL has been expanding and is investing heavily in Asia mostly for the Chinese market where it is the fastest growing market right now along with Australia where ships ended up being chartered frequently by travel agents.

With Asia being a new market where I sail a lot. There isn't much Diamonds around so the lounge is always empty. I recall on my recent Voyager cruise last November where it is 90% Chinese guests, there are only 12 of us Diamonds vs almost 4,000 passengers.

Many times there is no top tier party because there isn't much Platinum and up members, the Chinese/Asia market is mostly just gold as they tend to take shorter 5 days or less cruises than westerners to be able to pile up the points.

But the current Legend sailing, we have more Diamonds on board at around 70 due to most guests being Westerners this time but this is unique as Legend doesn't stay in one area so its crowd is more international.

So with the exception of Legend in this sailing, there really isn't enough Diamonds in this region to implement this change.. as the Diamond lounge is always almost empty in the first place.

They also removed the Diamond lounge in Quantum and converted it into a high rollers room for this purpose.. and just had a nightly Diamond party at the Music Hall for the few D's and occasionally some D+ on board.

Edited by roquejo

Just my 2 cents:

It is already happening on 4 ships (Quantum, Anthem, Oasis, Allure) (D+ and D in the Diamond Club) and then a Suite lounge that also invites Pinnacles. The Sky hasn't started to fall yet. Do I see more changes like that coming - Yes. Liberty has already announced that it will have a Suite Lounge when the current concierge lounge is closed.

This is a perk that RCCL offers that outside of Celebrity no one else does. Eventually if a change is made and there are too many complaints, they reserve the right to cancel the perk all together - the lounges, the coupons, etc.

Just remember the Concierge Lounges on the Voyager class, which were the first ones, were originally designed for Suite Guests, and at the time Diamond Members were let in (At the time Diamond was the highest tier). Eventually due to overcrowding at the time, it lead to Diamond Clubs being put on the ships and Diamond members no longer having the perk the Concierge Lounge. If they are giving you something free, be happy with it!!

This rumor has been going on since late 2011, yes right after they created Pinnacle. I remember sitting in the OLD Concierge Lounge (Deck 8) of the Enchantment discussing it, and everyone was convinced that it was going to change the end of 2011. Then the next fall into late 2012 people were convinced by unsubstantiated rumors it was going to happen then, and same with the end of 13, and the end of 2014.. It got to the point people were saying announcements would be made on a certain date which in every case came and went. Will something be announced someday, well probably but who knows when. My point - don't worry and not have a good time about something we have no control over!

Edited by Firefighterhoop

Just my 2 cents:

It is already happening on 4 ships (Quantum, Anthem, Oasis, Allure) (D+ and D in the Diamond Club) and then a Suite lounge that also invites Pinnacles. The Sky hasn't started to fall yet. Do I see more changes like that coming - Yes. Liberty has already announced that it will have a Suite Lounge when the current concierge lounge is closed.

I do agree even though another poster here seems to feel I think otherwise. They've done the same on Celebrity with Michael's Club. I just don't think it spells doom and gloom for C&A members but then again, we prefer the vouchers anyway. We book mostly suites but have never taken full advantage of the CL on a regular basis. The most time we've ever spent in any lounge was the SL on Oasis. If you've taken advantage of an Oasis Class SL, you know it's a great venue.

If they already hold cocktail hour in alternate venues (because most DL's are way undersized for nightly cocktail parties), then what benefit would there be to closing the lounge to Diamond 24 X 7?

Seems the only ones who want perks removed from others are Diamond Plus, who admittedly got a bit of the shaft with removal of one out of two lounges. But, honestly, look for ways to maintain and enhance the benefit, not think out reasons to give RCI to eliminate it.

Just my 2 cents:

This is a perk that RCCL offers that outside of Celebrity no one else does. Eventually if a change is made and there are too many complaints, they reserve the right to cancel the perk all together - the lounges, the coupons, etc.

Just remember the Concierge Lounges on the Voyager class, which were the first ones, were originally designed for Suite Guests, and at the time Diamond Members were let in (At the time Diamond was the highest tier). Eventually due to overcrowding at the time, it lead to Diamond Clubs being put on the ships and Diamond members no longer having the perk the Concierge Lounge. If they are giving you something free, be happy with it!!

This rumor has been going on since late 2011, yes right after they created Pinnacle. I remember sitting in the OLD Concierge Lounge (Deck 8) of the Enchantment discussing it, and everyone was convinced that it was going to change the end of 2011. Then the next fall into late 2012 people were convinced by unsubstantiated rumors it was going to happen then, and same with the end of 13, and the end of 2014.. It got to the point people were saying announcements would be made on a certain date which in every case came and went. Will something be announced someday, well probably but who knows when. My point - don't worry and not have a good time about something we have no control over!

D+ out of the CL on Quantum class? Not the case when I was on Quantum last year. Anyone know definitely about Anthem? Katherine

You are Diamond. You still get the free 3 drinks on your card, but you no longer have a Diamond club to go to. You are Diamond Plus, you still have a Concierge Lounge and free drink as do Pennacle guests. As Diamond, Diamond Plus is still within reach. But as Diamond Plus, Pennacle really is not within reach. As Diamond Plus, RCL is my favorite cruise line. I really love the Diamond Club and Concierge Lounge.

If a change were to occur, this is most likely.

Have just read your post and all I can say is...huh, what?...:rolleyes:

If they already hold cocktail hour in alternate venues (because most DL's are way undersized for nightly cocktail parties), then what benefit would there be to closing the lounge to Diamond 24 X 7?

Seems the only ones who want perks removed from others are Diamond Plus, who admittedly got a bit of the shaft with removal of one out of two lounges. But, honestly, look for ways to maintain and enhance the benefit, not think out reasons to give RCI to eliminate it.

And you have taken a survey with all the D+ FOLKS AND HAVE THE FACTS AND NUMBERS TO PROVE THAT it's only D+ THAT WANT PERKS REMOVED????.....Such a ridiculous statement, am rolling doubled over with laughter here.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents:

Interesting to read your post and the outline of when all the discussion of changes began. I share the philosophy with you of the two highlighted sections above. But many others don't.

I don't cruise for the perks, although the Diamond balcony discount is very nice....the onship perks are nice, and I enjoy what I have....but since I have no control over what they do (and changes happen) I don't worry about it much....I just ENJOY my cruise!

Agree with your first point but not so much with the second.

And you have taken a survey with all the D+ FOLKS AND HAVE THE FACTS AND NUMBERS TO PROVE THAT it's only D+ THAT WANT PERKS REMOVED????.....Such a ridiculous statement, am rolling doubled over with laughter here.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Relax yourself Mr. The Trail. Breathe in. Breathe out. Slowly. Calmly. let the blood pressure come down. Woosah. Serenity now.

Agree with your first point but not so much with the second.

You don't think D+ got a bit of the shaft going from two lounges and two concierge staff to only one (on some ships)? I think that is a cutback for D+ members.

I do believe suites should have their own lounges and loyalty members their own lounges. I don't believe Diamond should be denied access to the lounges. I just think RCI already has a workable, practical solution that they use quite often so don't see the need for change.

Now, if the DL was packed ALL hours of the day I might feel differently.

You don't think D+ got a bit of the shaft going from two lounges and two concierge staff to only one (on some ships)? I think that is a cutback for D+ members.

I do believe suites should have their own lounges and loyalty members their own lounges. I don't believe Diamond should be denied access to the lounges. I just think RCI already has a workable, practical solution that they use quite often so don't see the need for change.

No, I disagree that it seems the only ones who want perks removed from others are Diamond Plus. To the best of my knowledge, so far D+ have only been booted from the CL on two ships.

As a D+ member, I don't see it as a cut back. I'm not sure how I could see it as a cut back- it's not as if something is being taken away- I still have a big lounge to go into, I still have coffee 24/7, I still have cocktails in the evening, I still have snacks at the same party- the only real difference is that the massive lounge has D members as well INSTEAD of suite members.

But that also assumes that we expect consistent service from ship to ship- and actually accept that the service that we used to get on the Allure and Oasis was MORE than what we normally got (mostly lunch with alcohol in the lounge as the addition).

We had something taken away that we probably should not have been getting. Big deal.

As a D/D+- we preferred the diamond lounge on Deck 6 over the old CL lounge. But that was just our opinion.

Given that there are so many high option suites on some of the ships- it does actually make sense to me that they get something for it. And since I'm not paying for it- then what I get should be the same on the Allure as it is on the Adventure.

We've always ended up in one lounge and not both- so having access to two people that I barely use vs. one isn't really noticed.

So all in all- this D+ member does not see it as a cut back.

No, I disagree that it seems the only ones who want perks removed from others are Diamond Plus. To the best of my knowledge, so far D+ have only been booted from the CL on two ships.

Thank you for clarifying. But you better have your survey results ready for Mr. The Trail! :D