Tiles, Medallions

bushy tail

Last year on our Australian Circumnavigation Cruise, we were not invited to any of the medal ceremonies, just to the Mariners lunch. There were 3 medals ceremonies that we were aware of during the 34 day cruise.

We had been invited to the medal ceremony during our Volendam cruise the previous year.

We were invited to the medal ceremony on board the Noordam 0ctober 31st, where 6 Bronze medals were presented. The passengers sitting next to us received their medals, they and another couple receiving the medals had over 200 days.

Were surprised that they had so many days before being presented with the medals.

On our recent Eurodam cruise, we were invited to the first awards ceremony. The second week we were not invited to either one.

On our recent Eurodam cruise, we were invited to the first awards ceremony. The second week we were not invited to either one.

If there are two ceremonies it is because there are too many people at all one time... so split to two groups. Might be first bronze for the first one and then silver, gold, platinum for the second one.

I came off the Zuiderdam Nov 9 and finally received my 100 day medallion, however it was not without alot of effort and questions on my part. I had made the 100 days in 2013 on a 21 day Panama Canal Cruise. In 2014 I took a 4 day Pacific Coastal Cruise and didn't expect to receive my medallion on that short cruise. After we boarded in Athens I went to the front desk to check when the presentations might be made. They said they would have to check with the Mariner's Society. I went back the following day and they said that Seattle said that I had received the medallion. I went back a few days later and was told there was a presentation tomorrow at 1100 and I was assured I would be on the list. I went to the reception and my name was not called. Again, I went back to the front desk and talked to Michael, he could tell by comments on the computer that I indeed been having issues, he assured me that he would get a resolution. Indeed, he did. The following morning he called and asked if I would be available at 1100 for a special presentation in the Atrium. He had arranged for Captain Christopher Turner and Hotel Director Frank Ulbricht and a photographer to present me with my medallion. I was truly impressed by Michael Bueno and the depth he went to assure customer satisfaction. I have my medallion and a great story to go with it.

Did they give you the pictures too, or did you have to pay?

Also, do the regular ceremonies happen at the Mariners' lunch or at some other time?

Edited by Wehwalt

If there are two ceremonies it is because there are too many people at all one time... so split to two groups. Might be first bronze for the first one and then silver, gold, platinum for the second one.

We have always been invited to the ceremony where they give out all the medals. We were among the 3 people with the highest number of days and 2 of us were not invited to the awards ceremony and none of the brunches/lunches on the second segment of our cruise.

The only two awards ceremonies we've ever been invited to was the one where we got our Bronze five years ago, and one on the Prinsendam.

Also, do the regular ceremonies happen at the Mariners' lunch or at some other time?

Our picture was free.

Usually the awards are given out at a smaller gathering just before the Mariners lunch, but on the Prinsendam so many awards were being given out that it was done in the main showroom, which was about 1/3 full. Once several years ago on the Noordam a few medals were given out at the lunch.

Edited by jtl513

The medals are given out at a special ceremony 1/2 hour before the brunch/lunch.

Sometimes it is in the Queen's Lounge, sometimes in the Explorer Lounge - it all depends on the ship.

A few years ago there were a couple of captains that did give out the medals during the lunch. But people were too busy eating and not playing attention as to who was getting what medal.

We have always been invited to the ceremony where they give out all the medals. We were among the 3 people with the highest number of days and 2 of us were not invited to the awards ceremony and none of the brunches/lunches on the second segment of our cruise.

On the second segment were you on one of those 'collector's cruises'?

If yes, this is right... you attend just one of those events.... ceremony/brunch ... not both weeks.

On any cruise.. any cruise.... if you think something is going 'wrong' then it takes just a second to ask someone what is happening. No excuse for sure but ... something can go wrong.

On World Cruise

Five segments of the world cruise... five Mariner events. If you are on a segment then you attend your Mariner party. If you are doing two segments then you go to two of the events. If you are going 'all the way around' then you attend ALL five parties. Then there is a final special party for those making the pax going.... 'all the way around'. (This was 1995)

If you really don't care about it and it's just a piece of tin to you, why not just give it away who may have lost theirs and would like a replacement. Just Saying. ;)

Would happily give it away if anyone wants to pay the "shipping and handling" :). DW just told me we might still have the Bronze ones somewhere so, if we could find the things I guess we could ship it as a package. There are also some medalions and pins for sale on ebay (this changes from time to time) to those who attach some kind of importance to these things. Just saw a bronze being sold for $12.50 (which includes free shipping). There is also a 1983 HAL Silver Jubilee token for sale on e-bay with the comment "very minimal wear" in the posting. Good for a laugh but there might be some collector looking for this stuff. I am going to try and find my old Orient Lines Pin (it has a faux diamond) and list it for $500! You just never know these days. Attach enough value to something and there sometimes seems to be a buyer.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

There are also some medalions and pins for sale on ebay (this changes from time to time) to those who attach some kind of importance to these things.

Hank

Not necessarily "importance", but a sense of collectibility, remembrance, or souvenir in the true sense. Many might get nostalgic upon seeing the momento and recalling the circumstances of receiving it on board ship. Of course, that doesn't apply to someone buying one on eBay!

But for anyone who has lost or misplaced their "tokens of appreciation" over the years it might be wonderful to be able to replace them.

And I write this looking at a Maasdam inaugural plate which we picked up in an antiques shop some years ago. And we've never sailed on the Maasdam.

On the second segment were you on one of those 'collector's cruises'?

If yes, this is right... you attend just one of those events.... ceremony/brunch ... not both weeks.

On any cruise.. any cruise.... if you think something is going 'wrong' then it takes just a second to ask someone what is happening. No excuse for sure but ... something can go wrong.

I was on the same cruise as KK. I did get invited to both but attended neither. I've had too many experiences that I didn't enjoy so I'm not overly excited about going.

And I write this looking at a Maasdam inaugural plate which we picked up in an antiques shop some years ago. And we've never sailed on the Maasdam.

Your are so right. Some think they are worthless. A Maiden Voyage for the old ROTTERDAM set me back over $400. I plate for the World Cruise 1961... over $200. Worthless? HAL memorabilia... will get a good price. Even simple postcard for $10. A large original poster.... close $2,000. A Nw AMSTERDAM poster from the 1950... $900. Worthless?

1285584223_nwamsterdamposter.jpg.33bfb52db4f745acc51535e3ceb33482.jpg

Nice table. Well done. Good bit of work.

I built a large paintings table in my studio.... all plain white tiles, cedar edges etc. One of the tiles cracked. Instead of heading to the hardware shop.... straight to the stack of HAL Mariner tiles.... and there it is... one single blue tile. Very 'artsy'. ;)

Being Platinum, as is KK, we have always been invited to every Medallion Reception and Brunch for all segments we are aboard. They always take a photo of us with HD and Captain and we find it in our mailbox. That is one of my two favorite mommentos from every cruise. :) To me, it is expected anyone who is Gold Medallion and above should never, ever be left out of all Mariner events on the ship. If we are aboard for two cruises, we attend two Receptions.

Edited by sail7seas

Being Platinum, as is KK, we have always been invited to every Medallion Reception and Brunch for all segments we are aboard. They always take a photo of us with HD and Captain and we find it in our mailbox. That is one of my two favorite mommentos from every cruise. :) To me, it is expected anyone who is Gold Medallion and above should never, ever be left out of all Mariner events on the ship. If we are aboard for two cruises, we attend two Receptions.

Agree and that is exactly what the Mariner Society says is supposed to happen.

However, as we know, the ships tend to do their own thing a lot.

No excuses for "having too many Mariners", either, which I've heard mentioned as the reason for not inviting some to both events.

I had that exact conversation with Mariners Society we should always expect to attend every Mariner event held while we are aboard. Seeing how much we have sailed with them, his words indicated it would be rude to not include us.

I had that exact conversation with Mariners Society we should always expect to attend every Mariner event held while we are aboard. Seeing how much we have sailed with them, his words indicated it would be rude to not include us.

Yes, but the ships and Seattle do not appear to agree on this, among other things.

Does HAL have any communication with the ships so they can understand what the bottom line is "supposed" to be. Which brings up the question: who decides what is actually done on the ships?

The Mariner's Society comes up with the program and the reward structure. I suspect they come up with the ideas for the Mariner's Brunch and the awards ceremony before.

But the ships are responsible for delivering the program and do it somewhat haphazardly. There are "operational considerations", a term a high Mariner couple we know call "the way to get out of doing things".

Edited by SilvertoGold

My six year old received his bronze medallion earlier this month.

Let me assure you, these medallions are still pretty special to young Mariners!;)

Now he has his sights set on the gold medallion because the cruise director said it really has chocolate inside!

(The photo the ship sent of him & his toothless grin with the captain and HD is quite the souvenir, if only I were smart enough to upload it!)

Edited by HALrunner

I find it kind of sad that these things are available to buy on e-bay, as I would think they would have some value to the recipient. I could not imagine selling something like that off. On the other hand, over the years of reading this forum I have occasionally been astounded at one or two posters quiet mention of their status with HAL (even Presidents Club), perhaps once or twice, whereas others seem to think it is all about bragging rights and continually find an excuse to post their status or number of days. I doubt I will ever reach such heights, but if I did I know I wouldn't be in the latter group. For those that have medallions or membership in the Presidents Club good for them! It is a testament to their being able to cruise much often than me - or in suites to get double days.:D For most, we can take pleasure and be happy for them in their achievement.

I think the Mariners Society does a decent job, but as mentioned by SilvertoGold, so much has to depend on communication between HAL HQ and the ships - and we all know HAL is not good at communicating. As to invitations to Mariner events, perhaps there are times when it is not possible to accommodate every medallion holder at every event. I know there were many on my last cruise, and many new recipients as well.

I find it kind of sad that these things are available to buy on e-bay, as I would think they would have some value to the recipient. I could not imagine selling something like that off.

Possibly they are no longer in the hands of the original recipients, regrettably, perhaps the children.

Yes, but the ships and Seattle do not appear to agree on this, among other things.

Does HAL have any communication with the ships so they can understand what the bottom line is "supposed" to be. Which brings up the question: who decides what is actually done on the ships?

The Mariner's Society comes up with the program and the reward structure. I suspect they come up with the ideas for the Mariner's Brunch and the awards ceremony before.

But the ships are responsible for delivering the program and do it somewhat haphazardly. There are "operational considerations", a term a high Mariner couple we know call "the way to get out of doing things".

A fast e-mail to Mariners Society sent by you in advance of the date of the Mariners event, likely would result in positive reaction. I think Mariners Society is one of the best departments in HAL's organization. There are not THAT many Platinum or Gold Medallion holders on most cruises that all cannot be accommodated for all Mariner Events. There are times they cannot include all Copper Medallion or even Silver but anyone with 500+ or 700+ days should never be omitted. Find a way to have them all........ it's the hospitality business!

I find it kind of sad that these things are available to buy on e-bay, as I would think they would have some value to the recipient. I could not imagine selling something like that off. On the other hand, over the years of reading this forum I have occasionally been astounded at one or two posters quiet mention of their status with HAL (even Presidents Club), perhaps once or twice, whereas others seem to think it is all about bragging rights and continually find an excuse to post their status or number of days. I doubt I will ever reach such heights, but if I did I know I wouldn't be in the latter group. For those that have medallions or membership in the Presidents Club good for them! It is a testament to their being able to cruise much often than me - or in suites to get double days.:D For most, we can take pleasure and be happy for them in their achievement.

I think the Mariners Society does a decent job, but as mentioned by SilvertoGold, so much has to depend on communication between HAL HQ and the ships - and we all know HAL is not good at communicating. As to invitations to Mariner events, perhaps there are times when it is not possible to accommodate every medallion holder at every event. I know there were many on my last cruise, and many new recipients as well.

Many of those items are very possibly part of an estate. The owners of those items have passed on and the Medallions etc may have little meaning to their heirs.

I enjoy stating how much I have sailed HAL as it has been a very large part of the life I shared with my late DH. We have wonderful memories of the great people we met, the places we saw, the things we did, the lovely evenings,,,,,,,, the love of travel we shared. I don't know why it should bother anyone else for one or all of us to recall with such fondness such lovely memories. If it disturbs anyone and you know someone like me has a tendency to comment about the many days I spent aboard, CC has a fabulous 'ignore' feature.

As to the comment about double days, a quick reminder for anyone reading this post is that Medallions are presented predicated upon actual days aboard with no consideration for double days in a suite or spending. Anyone with a Platinum Medallion sailed 700 (or more) actual days.

I'm sure many here know that but sometimes the reminder is helpful. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I don't care what anyone thinks about their Medallions as that is their private business. It does bother me when someone goes out of their way (not you Cruz Chic :)) to diminish for all others what they should think of them. It bothers me more when they insult crew about how little they think of those Medallions and take proactive action to demonstrate they think them worthless with no thought as to how hurtful that can be to crew who work so hard to give us the best cruise they can. To 'toss' them in front of them is inconsiderate and needless, IMO