Tiles, Medallions

bushy tail

I agree if you have medallions or multi-star mariners there is no reason showing it off. It's takes time and dedication to earn those rewards and it's a commendation from HAL that you've chose them over others.

I used to tell some of my staff, do not begrudge your managers their perks such as higher pay, more days off and special assignments because you should aspire to be a manager yourself.

It always amazed me that some individual now and then would pipe up and say "Me, Manager?, Never in a million years." And they were always the first ones to complain.

Spoiler alert! Do not read this post if you treasure your medallions.

I went to our medallion ceremony only to have something to write about. Most high level mariners did not show up for their photo op with the captain. I found the hoopla embarrassing. The medallions are the equivalent of a participation ribbon. The fact that medallions are derived from military awards make them doubly embarrassing to me. The medallions are big, clumsy, tawdry and about as subtle as a professional wrestling championship belt. I took mine off before the mariner's lunch. I will see if my son wants to offer them for sale on ebay.

I went to our medallion ceremony only to have something to write about. Most high level mariners did not show up for their photo op with the captain. I found the hoopla embarrassing. The medallions are the equivalent of a participation ribbon. The fact that medallions are derived from military awards make them doubly embarrassing to me. The medallions are big, clumsy, tawdry and about as subtle as a professional wrestling championship belt. I took mine off before the mariner's lunch. I will see if my son wants to offer them for sale on ebay.

Don't go. No one is forcing you. We respect your comments.

Military awards? Schools? Athletics? Spelling Bee? Come on... the whole world is awash with 'medals'.

I don't thing anyone really understand. I the last several years the Star award system. It was nothing to a chance to push the HAL product and give a few perks. That is all the Star awards were about.

The medals were something completely. That go back.... MANY years. It had nothing about perks. It was simply a party for repeater cruise passengers. After your first cruise you became a repeater. You were given a certificate and you were an Able Mariner. Then another later for a certificate as cadet Mariner. Then they came up with a copper medallion for those that have cruised for 30,000 miles. Then a Silver for 50,000 miles, Gold for 100,000 and then much later a platinum... heaven I can't remember what all the actual miles/represent.... you get the gist.

The thing is the 'repeaters' party was just that... a PARTY. People came and met the captain and officers... and there were some drinks... and a chance for people to have some simply fun. The medallions... were yes, everyone too part in this and it was just for fun. It was just the party... there was not luncheon. It was never intended to be serious... just good fun.

Then along came this Star business. It had nothing to have fun... it was just trying to get stars on a pin... and now it is just a trap to get you to nook another cruise... get a free lunch.

For most... the medallion was and probably still is a bit of fun. If you don't want to take part... don't go.

Military awards? Schools? Athletics? Spelling Bee? Come on... the whole world is awash with 'medals'.

I don't thing anyone really understand. I the last several years the Star award system. It was nothing to a chance to push the HAL product and give a few perks. That is all the Star awards were about.

The medals were something completely. That go back.... MANY years. It had nothing about perks. It was simply a party for repeater cruise passengers. After your first cruise you became a repeater. You were given a certificate and you were an Able Mariner. Then another later for a certificate as cadet Mariner. Then they came up with a copper medallion for those that have cruised for 30,000 miles. Then a Silver for 50,000 miles, Gold for 100,000 and then much later a platinum... heaven I can't remember what all the actual miles/represent.... you get the gist.

The thing is the 'repeaters' party was just that... a PARTY. People came and met the captain and officers... and there were some drinks... and a chance for people to have some simply fun. The medallions... were yes, everyone too part in this and it was just for fun. It was just the party... there was not luncheon. It was never intended to be serious... just good fun.

Then along came this Star business. It had nothing to have fun... it was just trying to get stars on a pin... and now it is just a trap to get you to nook another cruise... get a free lunch.

For most... the medallion was and probably still is a bit of fun. If you don't want to take part... don't go.

I remember the "repeaters" party from our second cruise to Bermuda. I think it was held on an afternoon on one of the sea days. Yes, officers were there, and they mingled. I remember a funny conversation with the ship's doctor about whether acupressure bands were just the placebo effect. It's also where I learned about crackers and ginger ale for seasickness. They did announce a few passengers who had sailed many times. The highest number was a guy who was always in a bar trying to pick up a much younger woman, and always sloshed. I'm sure HAL loved him--his bar tab probably paid the ship's fuel bill!

The highest number was a guy who was always in a bar trying to pick up a much younger woman, and always sloshed. I'm sure HAL loved him--his bar tab probably paid the ship's fuel bill!

Heavens.... this could be anyone number of friends I've sailed with!!!!!:eek:

OK Kathy.... Which cruise did you to Bermuda and the year? I might be able to narrow it down to a few.

As you point out... back in the days... it was a fun event. That is what the Mariner party was about. A bit like the old Turtle Club. (I was inducted in the Sagafjord Turtle Club.... and became an Imperial Turtle!)

Stephen

Spoiler alert! Do not read this post if you treasure your medallions.

Well, for someone who doesn't care much for them, you sure have put a lot of thought and effort to be unhappy about 'em. lol :D

Sonar....

Might see you somewhere on your Prinsendam travels. I'm starting off on 35 days in Saga Sapphire, UK to transatlantic Caribbean and back until 10 January. Look around for another dark blue ship... same size as Prinsendam!

Stephen

SAGA_SAPPHIRE2.jpg.d450f0625a4352aa245240124e3e9a5e.jpg

I had that exact conversation with Mariners Society we should always expect to attend every Mariner event held while we are aboard. Seeing how much we have sailed with them, his words indicated it would be rude to not include us.

Yes, but the ships and Seattle do not appear to agree on this, among other things.

Does HAL have any communication with the ships so they can understand what the bottom line is "supposed" to be. Which brings up the question: who decides what is actually done on the ships?

The Mariner's Society comes up with the program and the reward structure. I suspect they come up with the ideas for the Mariner's Brunch and the awards ceremony before.

But the ships are responsible for delivering the program and do it somewhat haphazardly. There are "operational considerations", a term a high Mariner couple we know call "the way to get out of doing things".

Don't always expect to get invited to the awards ceremony.

DH loves wearing his Platinum pin and medallion.

But on our last cruise, the second segment - no invite.

Heavens.... this could be anyone number of friends I've sailed with!!!!!:eek:

OK Kathy.... Which cruise did you to Bermuda and the year? I might be able to narrow it down to a few.

As you point out... back in the days... it was a fun event. That is what the Mariner party was about. A bit like the old Turtle Club. (I was inducted in the Sagafjord Turtle Club.... and became an Imperial Turtle!)

Stephen

It was 1982, Volendam, the year they did the Wednesday-to-Wednesday out of NYC, with an overnight in St Georges then on to Hamilton. It allowed us to be in Bermuda on a weekend, and people were upset because a lot of the stores were going to be closed because everyone was going to a big cricket match. We went to the cricket match and had a great time. Talk about a party! There was a guy somewhere near us yelling "two beer bet!" I don't remember what aspect of the game he wanted to bet on, but he was funny. That's one of the joys of travel, finding something "local" and special to do.

It was 1982, Volendam, the year they did the Wednesday-to-Wednesday out of NYC, with an overnight in St Georges then on to Hamilton. It allowed us to be in Bermuda on a weekend, and people were upset because a lot of the stores were going to be closed because everyone was going to a big cricket match. We went to the cricket match and had a great time. Talk about a party! There was a guy somewhere near us yelling "two beer bet!" I don't remember what aspect of the game he wanted to bet on, but he was funny. That's one of the joys of travel, finding something "local" and special to do.

Kathy,

I missed you about three weeks. I was in VEENDAM. Just a short run. Joined the ship in Bermuda to sail one way to New York. In those days were could do... one direction sailing. I then flew up to Montreal for two weeks and over to LA and Long Beach... stayed on QUEEN MARY for four days and flew back to NY and Bermuda.

1st September... I was in my new job as Queen's Harbour Master so every week I went aboard VEENDAM and VOLENDAM.... Captain Menke and Captain Uilderink. Pieter Bos was just Second Officer in VEENDAM then.

In 1984 I was headed to join Bermuda Star Line the BERMUDA STAR ex VEENDAM as Staff Captain. Made a decision I didn't like cruise ships (!) so I went painting instead!

Stephen

Edited by Topsham

Medallion question for those more experienced with them than I...we will reach 100 cruise days sailed on our next trip on the Amsterdam (at 96 days now). Will we receive our medallion during this cruise or the next one? Just wondering if we should expect an invite to the reception or if it will be next cruise. Thanks, all.

Medallion question for those more experienced with them than I...we will reach 100 cruise days sailed on our next trip on the Amsterdam (at 96 days now). Will we receive our medallion during this cruise or the next one? Just wondering if we should expect an invite to the reception or if it will be next cruise. Thanks, all.
Yes, you should get it on the cruise where you earn it.We actually got our Copper at 98 days, because that's where the Mariner Brunch fell.

It wouldn't hurt to remind them early in the cruise! :)

LOVE this post!!

I'm with you!! You capture the FUN of the Medallion idea so very well!!!!

Thanks very much for speaking for the few who fell as you do!

We regard the medal ceremonies as some harmless fun on a long sea day. It doesn't hurt anyone so I can't understand why some people get so sarcastic about it.

We were supposed to reach exactly 300 actual days at the end of our Alaska cruise next May. However, HAL changed our April cruise from a 34 day to a 33 day cruise so now we will only be at 299 days when the Alaska cruise ends.

No silver medals for us. :)

We regard the medal ceremonies as some harmless fun on a long sea day. It doesn't hurt anyone so I can't understand why some people get so sarcastic about it.

We were supposed to reach exactly 300 actual days at the end of our Alaska cruise next May. However, HAL changed our April cruise from a 34 day to a 33 day cruise so now we will only be at 299 days when the Alaska cruise ends.

It varies but I have seen when someone was short one or two days, they chose to present the Medallion to the guest(s). Given the fact they shortened the cruise by that day, you might request the office see if they can arrange for you to receive it on your cruise. Some people may wish to wait but that would be for you to decide.

Either way 'almost' Congratulations on being oh so near to your Silver Medallion.

Don't always expect to get invited to the awards ceremony.

DH loves wearing his Platinum pin and medallion.

But on our last cruise, the second segment - no invite.

My DH enjoyed wearing his Gold and then his Platinum Pin on his blazer/jacket lapel when we were on the ships. I asked it be put on his suit lapel when I buried him.

We loved HAL and had so many warm and rich memories. That pin was very meaningful as a representative of so many happy days and evenings..... of the wonderful people we met, the places we visited, the things we saw and did........

Perhaps that is why I fail to understand why anyone would demean what that little trinket represents to many of us. If they don't care about it, I don't understand why they have to be so vehement in putting down those of us who 'get it'.

Edited by sail7seas

Sonar....

Might see you somewhere on your Prinsendam travels. I'm starting off on 35 days in Saga Sapphire, UK to transatlantic Caribbean and back until 10 January. Look around for another dark blue ship... same size as Prinsendam!

Stephen

There may be a day or two of overlap. I'll wave just in case. Lol

I am so sorry! I think it would be gracious of HAL to award the medallion, but.....

Same thing happened to us. We hit 299 on a Hawaii cruise. Luckily, our next was in two months, so it was not much of a wait.

My DH enjoyed wearing his Gold and then his Platinum Pin on his blazer/jacket lapel when we were on the ships. I asked it be put on his suit lapel when I buried him.

We loved HAL and had so many warm and rich memories. That pin was very meaningful as a representative of so many happy days and evenings..... of the wonderful people we met, the places we visited, the things we saw and did........

Perhaps that is why I fail to understand why anyone would demean what that little trinket represents to many of us. If they don't care about it, I don't understand why they have to be so vehement in putting down those of us who 'get it'.

Sail: you speak for us as well and we thank you for it.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I find it kind of sad that these things are available to buy on e-bay, as I would think they would have some value to the recipient. I could not imagine selling something like that off. On the other hand, over the years of reading this forum I have occasionally been astounded at one or two posters quiet mention of their status with HAL (even Presidents Club), perhaps once or twice, whereas others seem to think it is all about bragging rights and continually find an excuse to post their status or number of days. I doubt I will ever reach such heights, but if I did I know I wouldn't be in the latter group. For those that have medallions or membership in the Presidents Club good for them! It is a testament to their being able to cruise much often than me - or in suites to get double days.:D For most, we can take pleasure and be happy for them in their achievement.

I think the Mariners Society does a decent job, but as mentioned by SilvertoGold, so much has to depend on communication between HAL HQ and the ships - and we all know HAL is not good at communicating. As to invitations to Mariner events, perhaps there are times when it is not possible to accommodate every medallion holder at every event. I know there were many on my last cruise, and many new recipients as well.

Since we have no heirs, I have no idea what will happen to our pins and medallions when we die.

That will be up to our executor to make that decision.

Being Platinum, as is KK, we have always been invited to every Medallion Reception and Brunch for all segments we are aboard. They always take a photo of us with HD and Captain and we find it in our mailbox. That is one of my two favorite mommentos from every cruise. :) To me, it is expected anyone who is Gold Medallion and above should never, ever be left out of all Mariner events on the ship. If we are aboard for two cruises, we attend two Receptions.

Guess HAL is changing the rules as to whom they are inviting to the awards ceremonies.

It has been about 2 or 3 years since we have had a picture taken with the captain. All they have been doing on our last cruises is to call out names and we raise our hands. The only people who get a picture taken are the ones getting their medals.

For the first time ever, when DH wore his Platinum pin on his jacket on Gala nights, no one said anything to him about it. Usually someone in the Pinnacle will say something to him.

He was disappointed not to have the chance to wear his medallion the second segment.

Guess HAL is changing the rules as to whom they are inviting to the awards ceremonies.

It has been about 2 or 3 years since we have had a picture taken with the captain. All they have been doing on our last cruises is to call out names and we raise our hands. The only people who get a picture taken are the ones getting their medals.

That's how it was done on the Westerdam. The only people getting photos with the Captain and HD were the new recipients. Which makes perfect sense.