Tiles, Medallions

bushy tail

Yes, you should get it on the cruise where you earn it.We actually got our Copper at 98 days, because that's where the Mariner Brunch fell.

It wouldn't hurt to remind them early in the cruise! :)

Thank you Catl, appreciate it. And good advice about reminding them, as well ;)

Edited by Infi

Guess HAL is changing the rules as to whom they are inviting to the awards ceremonies.

It has been about 2 or 3 years since we have had a picture taken with the captain. All they have been doing on our last cruises is to call out names and we raise our hands. The only people who get a picture taken are the ones getting their medals.

At the medallion ceremony during our recent Noordam cruise the Mariner with the highest number of days had her photo taken with Captain Draper. She had sailed over 1100 days, one of the other mariners present called out "Do you live on the ship":D

At the medallion ceremony during our recent Noordam cruise the Mariner with the highest number of days had her photo taken with Captain Draper. She had sailed over 1100 days, one of the other mariners present called out "Do you live on the ship":D

Aww that's nice, and certainly deserves recognition.

For the first time ever, when DH wore his Platinum pin on his jacket on Gala nights, no one said anything to him about it. Usually someone in the Pinnacle will say something to him.

He was disappointed not to have the chance to wear his medallion the second segment.

That is very sad and I'm sorry to hear/read it. Hopefully, he won't face that disappointment on your next cruise(s).

THIS I am happy to read.

Captain Draper has always appreciated all Mariners and I'm not at all surprised he would recognize that lady. Good for him and Congratulations to the lady.

DH has said that he will no longer take his pin and medallion.

ROFL! DW tosses all of our cruise line stuff (pins, medallions, etc) into a bottom drawer somewhere in the house. We used to say that once the drawer was full we would melt down all that junk for the precious metals and diamonds. But I suspect we would be very disappointed :).

Hank

P.S. The old Orient Lines had pins with a "diamond" which is as real as the Gold and Silver in HAL's medallions.

Edited by Hlitner

ROFL! DW tosses all of our cruise line stuff (pins, medallions, etc) into a bottom drawer somewhere in the house. We used to say that once the drawer was full we would melt down all that junk for the precious metals and diamonds. But I suspect we would be very disappointed :).

Hank

What a waste.

Since you feel so negatively about them, then you needn't have accepted them in the first place. At the very least, once you did accept them, you could have returned them to HAL. Someone else would have liked them.

Go ahead and make some space in the house and bring them back on your next HAL cruise.

Oh, that's right---you are unlikely to sail on HAL.

We see this on just about every HAL cruise we sail.

At the Awards Reception we have seen all gold and platinum (sometimes sliver as well) called up for photos with Captain and HD.

The highest Mariner(s) are always well accounted for, sometimes quite effusively.

• 4 months later...

Is there an official description of the 100-day medallion? I've seen them often referred to as "copper" here, but "bronze" makes more sense in a series with "silver" and "gold". I'd always assumed that "copper" was just a pet nickname that had been given to these.

But in tidying up some stuff after my last cruise, I've noticed that the box that the medallion came in has a label on it saying "bronze medallion". Yet the letter from the Hotel Director that accompanied it actually says "copper medallion". Is this a in-joke that's got out of hand? Or have I missed something?

Is there an official description of the 100-day medallion? I've seen them often referred to as "copper" here, but "bronze" makes more sense in a series with "silver" and "gold". I'd always assumed that "copper" was just a pet nickname that had been given to these.

But in tidying up some stuff after my last cruise, I've noticed that the box that the medallion came in has a label on it saying "bronze medallion". Yet the letter from the Hotel Director that accompanied it actually says "copper medallion". Is this a in-joke that's got out of hand? Or have I missed something?

Both copper and bronze are heavy, too heavy for this. Also copper isn't cheap, which is why they don't make cents out of it anymore. Probably some cheap metal under a copper coating. Likely all three medals are the same metal underneath. Sisters under the skin.

Anything generated on the ship is subject to inventive uses of the English language.

Edited by Wehwalt

HAL has in various times and places referred to them as both copper and bronze, but if you look at the color they are definitely more copper than bronze. Since the Olympics and other athletic competitions give bronze for 3rd place, many people refer to the HAL medallions as bronze.

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holland-America-Mariner-Society-100-Day-Award-Medallion-Ribbon-Lapel-Pin-Bag-/172142401968?hash=item28147c99b0:g:OrkAAOSw0HVWDzcf

From Mariner FAQ's:

6. Will I still receive medallions and pins as I have in the past?

Existing lapel pins will be replaced with brand new lapel pins for 2-Star, 3-Star, 4-Star and 5-Star Mariners. In addition, we will continue to recognize our most loyal Mariners through the awarding of a special medallion; a Bronze Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 100 days, a Silver Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 300 days, a Gold Medallion for guests achieving 500 days, and our highest level Platinum Medallion for those guests who have joined us for 700 or more days. Medallion status is calculated using Cruise Days only; Suite Bonus and Onboard Spending Bonus do not apply toward Medallion status.

Edited by catl331

Is this a in-joke that's got out of hand? Or have I missed something?

The crew used copper and bronze interchangeably on my last cruise. I like the idea that it is an inside joke and will consider it as such even if it isn't.

The medals were COPPER, SILVER, GOLD and PLATINUM

All of these are 'metals'.

Bronze is an 'alloy'.... made from copper, tin etc etc.

Sure, they will call it interchange but the COPPER is the correct medal... or metal... you get it. ;-)

When this "new" series of medallions was introduced (back in the late 90's), they were as Topsham said, copper, silver, gold, and platinum.

The first medallion was consistently and exclusively referred to as "copper" for years, until all of a sudden the reference to "bronze" started. Whether this was a mistake in some HAL publication, that just got carried forward, or some other explanation---who will ever know. Perhaps when that medallion was brought back after an absence it was misnamed???

The color is certainly closer to copper than to bronze.

I am hesitant to add a new question to this thread, but perhaps someone can let me know how/when the Star Mariner lapel pins are bestowed.

My wife and I became 2-star (just wee pups compared to many of you!) on a Nov 2015 cruise. Will the lapel pins be sent by mail or presented on our next cruise (Nov 2016)? Should I contact the Mariner Society since we have not seen or heard any hint of them?

From reading the posts in this thread, more than a few people seem to think the pins and medallions are worthless junk. I am in the camp that they are nice remembrances/souvenirs of wonderful times cruising with my bride. Ours will be displayed along with the various "trinkets" and awards from our 30+ year careers in engineering and corporate R&D.

I am hesitant to add a new question to this thread, but perhaps someone can let me know how/when the Star Mariner lapel pins are bestowed.

My wife and I became 2-star (just wee pups compared to many of you!) on a Nov 2015 cruise. Will the lapel pins be sent by mail or presented on our next cruise (Nov 2016)? Should I contact the Mariner Society since we have not seen or heard any hint of them?

You should have received them in the mail by now. Our 4* were left by the our steward on the night following the Mariner Brunch on the cruise where we earned them (11/15), but others have had them sent in the mail before us.

Does your HAL account show you as 2* and MyAccount>MyMarinerStatus have the correct info?

Edited by jtl513

HAL has in various times and places referred to them as both copper and bronze, but if you look at the color they are definitely more copper than bronze. Since the Olympics and other athletic competitions give bronze for 3rd place, many people refer to the HAL medallions as bronze.
The medals were COPPER, SILVER, GOLD and PLATINUM

All of these are 'metals'.

Bronze is an 'alloy'.... made from copper, tin etc etc.

Sure, they will call it interchange but the COPPER is the correct medal... or metal... you get it. ;-)

When this "new" series of medallions was introduced (back in the late 90's), they were as Topsham said, copper, silver, gold, and platinum.

The first medallion was consistently and exclusively referred to as "copper" for years, until all of a sudden the reference to "bronze" started. Whether this was a mistake in some HAL publication, that just got carried forward, or some other explanation---who will ever know. Perhaps when that medallion was brought back after an absence it was misnamed???

The color is certainly closer to copper than to bronze.

Great - many thanks! I knew the experts would have the answer.

Ruth,

Once a mariner moves on to Silver, Gold or Platinum or higher.... one forgets to remember what copper even remembers!!!! ;-)

Remember the ribbons.... blue with orange piping.... or orange with blue piping!

Stephen

After reading all eight pages I still have to ask. Are you suppose to receive lapel pins denoting your star level? We are currently only two star but close to becoming three star. Should have cruised Hal instead of several other lines.:D We have never received a lapel pin am wondering if somewhere along the line we have missed something. Perhaps I have misunderstood the lapel and star discussion. If we should have received lapel pins guess we will have to contact our PCC. A pin is something we would gladly wear at appropriate times. As for the medallions we are getting close to one hundred days and that medallion is on my bucket list. It would be something I would display in my trophy room at home. I doubt that I would wear it around the ship though. On our last cruise seen a couple wearing theirs in the Lido at breakfast. To each his own I guess, myself just don't like attracting attention to myself.:)

You should have received them in the mail by now. Our 4* were left by the our steward on the night following the Mariner Brunch on the cruise where we earned them (11/15), but others have had them sent in the mail before us.

Does your HAL account show you as 2* and MyAccount>MyMarinerStatus have the correct info?

Thanks for the information.

Our account does show us as 2-star and "MyMarinerStatus" correctly reflects our cruise history and onboard spending credits. Sounds like I should contact HAL....

Are you suppose to receive lapel pins denoting your star level? ... If we should have received lapel pins guess we will have to contact our PCC.
Yes. For a long while they were mailed out shortly after the qualifying cruise but in more recent years they have been given out on the cruise. Benefits still don't start until the next cruise. Call or email the Mariner Society. Edited by catl331

Remember the ribbons.... blue with orange piping.... or orange with blue piping!

I still have the one medallion from the "old, old" medallion system.

Love that ribbon, and wish that style had been kept when the medallions themselves were changed. Those were so distinctive, as compared to what is used now.

As for the medallions we are getting close to one hundred days and that medallion is on my bucket list.

Remember, the medallions are awarded for actual, "heads in beds" days. Any double days for suites, or bonus days for spending, do not count toward that total as they do for the Star system.

The Mariner Society FAQ's refers to the medallions as bronze.

6. Will I still receive medallions and pins as I have in the past?

Existing lapel pins will be replaced with brand new lapel pins for 2-Star, 3-Star, 4-Star and 5-Star Mariners. In addition, we will continue to recognize our most loyal Mariners through the awarding of a special medallion; a Bronze Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 100 days, a Silver Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 300 days, a Gold Medallion for guests achieving 500 days, and our highest level Platinum Medallion for those guests who have joined us for 700 or more days. Medallion status is calculated using Cruise Days only; Suite Bonus and Onboard Spending Bonus do not apply toward Medallion status.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action#06