Tiles, Medallions

bushy tail

Oct 30 -- captain entertained 4 couples for pre-dinner cocktails at 7:30 PM in the Pinnacle Bar and then dinner at 8 PM in the Pinnacle Grill.

Those are such lovely evenings. Hope you enjoyed it. :)

I'm confused about the difference between medallions and lapel pins. Could you please explain? Thanks!

Before HAL started the Star Mariner Program, they had Medallion Program for Mariners. It is based on actual days sailed and not on spending or bonus days for booking suite. They present Medallions for various level of total days and along with the Medallion (which is rather large and hangs around the neck on a wide blue ribbon except for Platinum which hangs on a white ribbon) they present small lapel pins with various color representing the level of days.

When HAL started the Star Mariner Program, they initially ended the Medallion Program but many of us strongly objected because it was based on true days aboard. They listened to us and reinstated the program so they now run concurrently.

The levels for Medallions are:

100 days for Copper

300 days for Silver

500 days for Gold

700 days for Platinum

Whereas the Star Mariner Program is considerably lower days and shuts off at 500 (and that includes 'bonus days'.)

I'm confused about the difference between medallions and lapel pins. Could you please explain? Thanks!
See http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holland-America-Mariner-Society-100-Day-Award-Medallion-Ribbon-Lapel-Pin-Bag-/151866363768?hash=item235bf0cf78:g:OrkAAOSw0HVWDzcf

At each level you get both.

Edited by catl331

The Award Levels for Star Mariner Pins are:

1 Star Mariner is one completed cruise on HAL or any of the Carnival Family of Ships

2 Star Mariner is 30 Cruise day Credits

3 Star Mariner is 75 Cruise day Credits

4 Star Mariner is 200 Cruise day Credits

5 Star Mariner is 500 Cruise day Credits

There are no Medallion presented for the Star Mariner Program. They give pins which are very different than the lapel pins given for Medallion Mariner Program.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks! It sounds like the whole thing is about as clear as mud. I guess when you reach 5 star mariner you also qualify for a gold medallion. Interesting. I don't have to worry about it as I'll never make 100 days. No way, shape or form. Too many cruises on too many different lines to worry about accumulating days on any one cruise line. Been cruising since 1973 and half the lines don't even exist anymore.

Thanks! It sounds like the whole thing is about as clear as mud. I guess when you reach 5 star mariner you also qualify for a gold medallion.
Generally not! The medallions are based strictly on actual days aboard, while Star levels are based on "credits" which can be increased by booking suites and by on-board spending. Theoretically you could be 5-star with just 167 days on board, which would only merit a Copper medallion (at 100 days)

Edited by jtl513

Oops! My bad. I forgot to account for the "bonus" days with the star mariner program. Initially I didn't understand they were two separate programs but you guys helped me understand the difference. CC is still the best!

The medallion program has been around prior to its current make-up.

I have a medallion from 1992 from the old Westerdam that was based on miles

sailed. 40,000 miles -Pewter on an orange/blue ribbon.

The old program was based on number of cruises. I think it was 3,5 and 10.

I still have the hand lettered certificates that accompanied them.

My understanding is that HAL no longer gives lapel pins along with the medallions any more. At least we did not receive any lapel pins when we received our Silver Medallions. I occasionally look on eBay to see if there are any being sold. :(

My understanding is that HAL no longer gives lapel pins along with the medallions any more. At least we did not receive any lapel pins when we received our Silver Medallions. I occasionally look on eBay to see if there are any being sold. :(

You're correct. The pins are based on stars/credits. The medallions are based on actual days.

When we got our medallions 3 years ago there was no accompanying lapel pin...

The pins are based on stars/credits.
hey used to give out lapel pins that matched the medallion color, but that stopped shortly after the Star levels were introduced and they apparently ran out of the pins. Strange (IMO) that they didn't keep producing the pins, as they can't be much different in cost than the medallions.

Question... Maybe this is a good place to ask...

I am assuming the medallions/tiles are something you get for number of days at sea? Or after/during each cruise? What exactly is it and how does it work?

As a "one star Mariner" on first HAL cruise with no sea days, will I get one?

THANKS!

...I am assuming the medallions/tiles are something you get for number of days at sea? Or after/during each cruise? What exactly is it and how does it work?

As a "one star Mariner" on first HAL cruise with no sea days, will I get one?...

You will receive a 2 star pin when you accumulate 30 cruise credit days. You are credited one for each day cruised, a second for each day cruised in a suite and another for each $300 spent on shipboard activities. So theoretically you could receive 3 cruise day credits for each day cruised.

You will receive a tile at the Mariner's brunch.

Scott & Karen

When we got our medallions 3 years ago there was no accompanying lapel pin...

Did you call the Mariner Society back then and asked if they still had the lapel pin to match your medallion?

For a while after the 5 star program started, the pins were still available through the Mariner Society.

Question... Maybe this is a good place to ask...

I am assuming the medallions/tiles are something you get for number of days at sea? Or after/during each cruise? What exactly is it and how does it work?

As a "one star Mariner" on first HAL cruise with no sea days, will I get one?

THANKS!

The medallions are given at 100/300/500/700 actual sea days.

The tiles are usually given out at the Mariner Brunch, but if you choose to skip that you can ask at the front desk to have them sent to your cabin. Or you can stop in at the end of the brunch and ask for them in person. I've done both.

Edited by jtl513

So, at 1,000 days.... you melt down the 300 day silver and 700 day platinium

and you get a 1,000 day TIN!!!! :eek:

... I could be wrong but I thought tin was an element and not an alloy ... :confused:

Edited by avian777

... I could be wrong but I thought tin was an element and not an alloy ... :confused:

They do melt down the platinum and the silver.... and they keep it a vault in Seattle. Then they make the new medallions made of TIN. I should have been explained the process. Did you think that I did not know that? ;)

Hey.... I had to write SOMETHING this morning!

PS: At least of you are awake this morning.;-)

Edited by Topsham