Spirit Airline

DonnaK

In searching for flights JFK = FLL R/T, Spirit is less than half of all the other airlines.

I am thinking that there has to be a reason why it's so much cheaper. Does anyone with prior experience with Spirit have any insights or feedback for me? Am I crazy to be hesitant to consider Spirit?

In searching for flights JFK = FLL R/T, Spirit is less than half of all the other airlines.

I am thinking that there has to be a reason why it's so much cheaper. Does anyone with prior experience with Spirit have any insights or feedback for me? Am I crazy to be hesitant to consider Spirit?

Spirit is cheaper, but you must pay for everything a la carte- If you leave the day before, not a bad deal if the flight is delayed or cancelled. Try Southwest- they are also very reasonable and include luggage etc.

We have actually gotten great deals on Delta from time to time also.

Enjoy.

Spirit don't fly from JFK, only LGA.

Spirit are ultra low cost. I wouldn't ever consider flying them when you have perfectly acceptable options with airlines.

There is nothing wrong with them, but realize you will pay for everything. You are probably looking at their "bare fare" which means you are only paying for a seat and a SMALL personal item. This fare includes no carry on bag. You pay for both carry on and checked bags. You will also pay for a seat assignment and there is no ability to select any seat for free, even at check in. If you don't pay then the airline selects your seat during check in and they have coded the system to dole out the worst seats on the plane during check in because they want to leave as many "good" seats available for those who wish pay. If you forget to pre-print your boarding pass at home they will charge you $10 per pass for that service. Want a sip of water or soda on the plane then those cost money too. Spirit has some of the tighest pitch (i.e, legroom) so be warned that you will feel cramped.

With all the negatives, my biggest negative with Spirit is the fact they have no agreements with other airlines so if your plane is canceled/delayed they have no ability to sign your ticket over to another airline so you are stuck waiting on them in the event of a problem.

Thank you for enlightening me! Now, I can make the educated choice not to fly with them.

(And yes, I meant LGA, not JFK)

Unfortunately, Southwest and Delta are both around $600, and Spirit is $219. Since we are 6 people, it's a huge difference. I suppose I can wait a bit and see if prices come down, as the cruise I am considering is in April. Or, I can look at cruises that leave from my homeport now that I have an idea of the total cost of flying to FLL to cruise.

Edited by DonnaK

Thank you for enlightening me! Now, I can make the educated choice not to fly with them.

Unfortunately, Southwest and Delta are both around $600, and Spirit is $219. Since we are 6 people, it's a huge difference. I suppose I can wait a bit and see if prices come down, as the cruise I am considering is in April. Or, I can look at cruises that leave from my homeport now that I have an idea of the total cost of flying to FLL to cruise.

Have you looked at Jetblue? They have non-stop flights from JFK and LGA to FLL, if you want to get more adventurous then they also fly non-stop from Newark, White Plains and even Stewart Field if you fancy a roadtrip up I-87.

I'd pick Jetblue over Southwest although if you're nearer Suffolk County then the ISP-FLL route on WN may be attractive to you.

Edited by fbgd

Good Luck! We flew Spirit once .... and now I'd rather walk! We saved $, sure, but the round about way we got there in the VERY cramped seats along with the nickel and diming you to death, just wasn't worth it. It's early, there may be some sales before you have to book. We've always had good luck with Jet Blue and Southwest ... hope something works for you!

There are many who gladly fly Spirit (NK). They have made the price/value assessment and I say "good for them".

OTOH, to adapt a saying that I first heard about an Australian airline:

"Friends don't let other friends fly Spirit."

Make the value decision on YOUR needs. (But you won't find me in the seat next to you).

What dates are you looking at? I just ran a basic search on ITA Matrix, and I'm seeing lots of pricing in the $200s.

Are you searching for all 6 tickets at once? That may be putting up the price, as it will price out all 6 from the same price bucket - if there are, say 4 tickets available in a lower bucket, it won't show up on the search.

I fly Spirit quite often, and they have to be by far the worst airline in the country. You pay for absolutely everything, the staff is not very friendly, and the seats are small and cramped.

However, they are the best priced, so if you can deal with that its still a good deal.

There is nothing wrong with them, but realize you will pay for everything.

Nothing wrong with them, except they have the smallest seat pitch in the industry. If you don't mind sitting with your knees in your chest, then I guess there is nothing wrong with them, LOL.

Nothing wrong with them, except they have the smallest seat pitch in the industry. If you don't mind sitting with your knees in your chest, then I guess there is nothing wrong with them, LOL.

Any for many people, that's just fine. They've justified a few hours of being uncomfortable to save, usually, a decent amount of money. Good for them. But the fact that they are doing so well (and the fact that a previous poster said, in the same statement, that they're the worst but s/he still flies them a lot) is why airlines in the US are on a race to the bottom - low fares trump all.

Edited by Zach1213

Any for many people, that's just fine. They've justified a few hours of being uncomfortable to save, usually, a decent amount of money. Good for them. But the fact that they are doing so well (and the fact that a previous poster said, in the same statement, that they're the worst but s/he still flies them a lot) is why airlines in the US are on a race to the bottom - low fares trump all.

As long as you aren't grossly overweight or over 6'2"

But if it is the difference between going on a cruise, I agree- you have to do what works for you!

I fly Spirit quite often, and they have to be by far the worst airline in the country. You pay for absolutely everything, the staff is not very friendly, and the seats are small and cramped.

However, they are the best priced, so if you can deal with that its still a good deal.

I think this sums up the Cruise Air forum, and the US travelling public in a more concise way than I've read anywhere, ever.

Exactly. People b!tch and moan about this and that and the other thing but in the end, when they buy the cheapest flight, they are in essence saying "I prefer to sit in a cramped seat." (or put up with a lousy itinerary or whatever it is they complained about) It's the votes cast with dollars that count, not the ones cast in the form of comments on a message board. ;)

We volunteer at a USO Center at our airport and by far, we hear more complaints about Spirit from our guests than any other airline-many, many regrets. Many say, "never again".

A Spirit employee told us that Spirit has no spare airplanes, so if one has a mechanical problem which forces a flight cancellation, there is no backup aircraft available, period.

As previously stated in another post, Spirit has no network with other airlines to be able to book Spirit passengers on other airlines.

One of our fellow volunteers and her husband had booked a Spirit flight and at the last minute the hubby became too ill to fly. Because she could not work a cancellation on line and because Spirit has no phone number here, she had to come to the airport to deal with the cancellation.

I understand that many people cannot afford to fly the majors and I feel sorry that they have to endure the Spirit "process".

And as to carry-on items, I had to wait for someone near the Spirit ticket counter who was going to fly out on Spirit, and they had an employee who checked every passenger who was checking in to ensure that they had only a personal item and one carryon, and that the carry-on fit in the template device. She did her job very well, enforcing that rule.

I understand that many people cannot afford to fly the majors and I feel sorry that they have to endure the Spirit "process".

I don't. I would like the owners suite on Crystal but I can't afford it - so I don't book it. What I can afford is a decent seat on an airplane, i.e. not Spirit.

JK

I wouldn't fly Spirit. They are horrible to deal with if any changes happen to your flight. The are notorious for cancelling flights for no good reason and not re-booking you for several days and will not book you on another airline.

Surely not good for a cruise unless you fly in a few days in advance- but then the cost of spending a couple of nights in a hotel cost more then flying Delta, Southwest or jetblue!

Too much stress for me!