What is the "old" pizza?

hpugirl27

I have a 5 day Cruise planned in January on the Paradise and keep hearing people complain about the fact that it has the"old" pizza. I recently sailed on the Sensation...do they have the old or new pizza on that ship? Just wondering what all the uproar is about and if we'll like the late night pizza on the Paradise, lol.

The "old" pizza was AWESOME!! Loved it! Hate the new wafer paper thin crust and miss my goat cheese pizza!

I wouldn't quite call it awesome but in my opinion the old pizza was much better than the junk they serve now. The crust might as well be soda crackers.

However, taste in food is subjective and many love the 'new' stuff. To each their own. An option of either/or would be nice.

The new pizza is designed to be cooked to order really fast so it is very thin and there are very few topping options. I like both styles but for the old style you had to wait a few minutes for them to cook what you want if they didn't have what you want made already. The new pizza cooks in just a couple of minutes but I noticed I could see the shadow of the pepperonis through the crust.

Selection includes pepperoni, mushroom, cheese, or cheese with leafy veggies added after it's cooked.

I wouldn't quite call it awesome but in my opinion the old pizza was much better than the junk they serve now. The crust might as well be soda crackers.

However, taste in food is subjective and many love the 'new' stuff. To each their own. An option of either/or would be nice.

OHHHHHHHHH, but did you try the goat cheese pizza? It was awesome and dh says the anchovy pizza was awesome also, I like my anchovies in a caesar salad lol.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

The way that you can tell if a ship has the old pizza is to walk around the dining area and look at empty plates. If they have pieces of pizza with one bite out of them and the rest left for the trash can, it is the old pizza. Then go to the pizza area. If there is a long line of people waiting for pizza, it is the new pizza.

haha, thank you everyone for your responses to this. I think what I'm really trying to figure out though is if the Sensation has the old or new? Because we came off of there recently and we thought it was pretty good. But I keep hearing everyone say Paradise pizza is not so good. Either way, yes we will be fine, plenty of other things to eat, just curious!

You would think Carnival would learn something from Little Caesars and have a BUNCH of cheese and pepperoni pizzas hot and ready for pickup at any given time. It would cut down on the long lines and most children (and late night drunk adults) would likely choose either option. Then that would leave only the specialty pizzas to cook "fresh".

I liked the pizza on paradise more than the newer recipe, it could just be the crust though. I also like the Calzone a lot. That with a Chicken Caesar salad was a fantastic lunch or late night snack. Also I think it takes about the same time to cook both. The newer recipe is Carnival's attempt at having an artisan style pizza.

haha, thank you everyone for your responses to this. I think what I'm really trying to figure out though is if the Sensation has the old or new? Because we came off of there recently and we thought it was pretty good. But I keep hearing everyone say Paradise pizza is not so good. Either way, yes we will be fine, plenty of other things to eat, just curious!

The Sensation has the new pizza.

You would think Carnival would learn something from Little Caesars and have a BUNCH of cheese and pepperoni pizzas hot and ready for pickup at any given time. It would cut down on the long lines and most children (and late night drunk adults) would likely choose either option. Then that would leave only the specialty pizzas to cook "fresh".
It was already like that on both of my previous cruises. Basic pizzas, like cheese and pepperoni, were already waiting under heating lamps; you could take one or more slices. If you wanted a specialty menu item, you had to wait for them to make it fresh and you had to take the whole pizza. Interestingly, there were still long lines, because most people wanted the specialty pizzas. Only the post-clubbing crowd took whatever was available.

I haven't been on a Fantasy class ship yet that had the new pizza. In fact, a sous chef on the Inspiration told me the galley at the pizza place on Fantasy class ships are too small for the new ovens required to make the new thin crust pizza so they never would have the new pizza available. The chef may be wrong but he seemed to be in the know and certainly is in a position to know. Still, I'm sure someone will come along shortly to say he's all wet and they always serve the new pizza on all Carnival ships. ;)

Agree 1000%. The new crust is gross. I was on Paradise in September and they had new pizza. A thimble of tomato sauce. Not like any pizza I've ever had.