The fantastic gift RCI gave everyone on board Anthem's inaugural transatlantic

Turtles06

My spouse and I returned yesterday from Anthem's inaugural transatlantic, an 8-night crossing from Southampton to Cape Liberty. The ship is stunningly beautiful with some of the most extraordinary public spaces we've ever seen, and we had a great time (despite some very disappointing food service and food quality issues). I'll be posting a detailed review, but the following made us laugh, and I just wanted to put this up now.

During the sailing, we frequently commented to each other how odd it seemed that no one associated with the ship or RCI had even mentioned that this was Anthem's first crossing of the Atlantic, a rather big deal in our minds but clearly not in Royal's. You'd never have known anything special was happening -- that a ship was being taken across an ocean, to a new continent, for the very first time. (It seemed to us that RCI was more concerned with just getting the ship to Bayonne and promoting the ship in the new market.)

Then, on our last day before disembarkation, we returned to our cabins to find our disembarkation info and luggage tags, along with this "certificate," printed on thin, plain photocopy paper (not even something nice like stock paper), and already wrinkled. The cheesiness made us laugh. Really, Royal, is this the best you could do? :)

Certificate%20of%20First%20TA%20Sailing_zpszhmatkmu.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

That's such a shame - we got one on our Allure spring crossing. It was a little creased when I got it, but it was printed on thin card (not just paper), and had our names "calligraphied" on as well - I've blanked out most of my name from the attached picture, but under the ship name you can see the start of the fancy lettering used.

I took the photo on my phone through a plastic sleeve which is a bit battered - the cert itself is pretty OK.

20151105_103127.jpg.c833017d082df59c7fb31a9fb3b3ac1c.jpg

Edited by Thoie

I've done a number of transatlantics, but never got anything until the Allure crossing, which was the technical maiden transatlantic (with passengers).

I wonder will all transatlantics/transpacifics start getting a certificate? It would be funny if I get one on the Independence next year, as I've done that trip before :)

We did a TA from New Orleans to Barcelona in 2014 on Serenade, we got one on our bed the last night. Just did a TA from Harwich,UK to Boston in Sept. 2015 on Brilliance and did not get one.

I think it depends on the ship.

So many things on Brilliance did not compare to Serenade, but that's a whole other thread.

That is a lousy gift on the ships first TA though. Our's did have our name on it though.

Edited by SAS21

CHEEZY!!!!! They could have at least laminated that. Looks like something I can make at home.

We'll be boarding on the 10th - guess we should not expect anything for the 1st full US itinerary either! I would not expect anything of huge monetary value, but a little certificate (one that at least looks professionally done) would be nice.

Edited by Sascol

It seems to me RCCL should have made a bigger deal. It's a huge brand new ship making its home in the biggest city in the world. Fanfare upon arrival, press, special celebrations during the cruise- to me, this is all free advertising. Most people I speak to locally had no idea that RCCL had a new ship sailing out of this area.

I guess this ones a little different because the first TAs are often also the inaugural cruise but, even so, seems like they want to keep very quiet about Anthem. LOL

It might be a little cheesy, at least they did something to show appreciation. We got one for the Serenades snow bird repositioning last month and I have no idea what happened to it LOL diffidently a "Cheap" sake.

It might be a little cheesy, at least they did something to show appreciation. We got one for the Serenades snow bird repositioning last month and I have no idea what happened to it LOL diffidently a "Cheap" sake.

I had relatives on that cruise. D plus. 30 years with RCI they got nothing. Cosnider yourself lucky :cool:

We did a TA from New Orleans to Barcelona in 2014 on Serenade, we got one on our bed the last night. Just did a TA from Harwich,UK to Boston in Sept. 2015 on Brilliance and did not get one.

I think it depends on the ship.

So many things on Brilliance did not compare to Serenade, but that's a whole other thread.

That is a lousy gift on the ships first TA though. Our's did have our name on it though.

We did both the Spring and Fall Serenade 16 nights TA cruises between NOLA and Barcelona in 2014 and got these for both cruises along with a certificate for our first ship crystal block on the east bound TA. :D

Edited by robtulipe

For the Oasis Eastbound TA we received a "certificate" saying:

"You have been part of the 1st Western Transatlantic crossing onboard Oasis of the Seas."

I still wonder how we managed to arrive in Barcelona :rolleyes::D!

steamboats

Hahaha....[emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk