Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

Watching the CBS Morning Show now, and there will be an upcoming segment on the situation. This is what prompted me to look on CC to see if anything was posted. I can not bring myself to click on the link :(.

You probably don't want to see or hear it. From the comments you can pretty much tell what happened. I know I will see/hear that image in my mind for quite a while.

Watching the CBS Morning Show now, and there will be an upcoming segment on the situation. This is what prompted me to look on CC to see if anything was posted. I can not bring myself to click on the link :(.

Smart lady. Soooooo disturbing and I am sorry I watched it.

Thanks for the clarification.

I have to ask, and please pardon my ignorance. If you do in fact, go overboard, and know how to sufficiently swim, how hard is it to manage the currents from the ship, and the waves? Would the azipods pose any risk of pulling someone in as the ship passes? I've never understood how they lose track of the people that have gone overboard. I see that he appeared to be injured, from the blood. Maybe that contributed to the fact that he couldn't keep himself afloat?

Again, please pardon my ignorance, but I figured there are people here that are much more experienced than myself, and may have some insight.

Assuming the person had the ability to swim and was not injured or disoriented from the fall or prior to going over, the currents and waves can be handled. If the person is swimming away from the ship, not much of the body is below the surface of the water for the current to act on. It does not take a huge distance to be away from the ship to minimize the effect of the current. Now if the person is floating in a life jacket with feet directly below them in close proximity the hull, then there is more surface of the body below the water for the current to act against. The slower the ship is moving the less current created. Azipods vs propeller, I don't think there would be any appreciable difference. Waves created by the ship in this case are negligible. Modern day ships create a much smaller wave than ships of similar size in days gone by.

I think that the way he fell was contradictory. If he fell vs let go.

Okay. It appeared to me that he reached for a better grip and slipped. This is a very tragic situation. I can't even fathom getting to a point where that would seem the best option. I know the struggles are real though and feel for his family and those that witnessed this.

I think that the way he fell was contradictory. If he fell vs let go.

That and also there was no mention that he was "hanging on" and either let go or lost his grip.

There is and will be a lot of speculation. I'm glad there are witnesses, because sadly I'm not expecting a positive outcome for this gentleman.

That and also there was no mention that he was "hanging on" and either let go or lost his grip.

There is and will be a lot of speculation. I'm glad there are witnesses, because sadly I'm not expecting a positive outcome for this gentleman.

Agreed.

Wow, thanks for the insight on that.

I see someone above mentioned it, but why didn't they slow the ship when they realized what was happening? Or even stop for that matter. I feel like that would have reduced the chance of injury from the passenger striking the ship or being pulled under once in the water.

And how do you know that this wasn't being done? No brakes

And how do you know that this wasn't being done? No brakes

I don't know that it wasn't, but we also don't know that it was. I was just judging by the appearance of the water. But as someone said prior, (that I wasn't thinking about) it takes time for these beasts to slow or stop.

Horrible situation, whatever the cause. I doubt the video with last on you tube, due to its nature. What a way to go. I feel for the crew member trying to save him, not to mention the rest of the people on board the cruise.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Horrible situation, whatever the cause. I doubt the video with last on you tube, due to its nature. What a way to go. I feel for the crew member trying to save him, not to mention the rest of the people on board cruise.

Well stated. It's a topic for a separate thread, but regardless of how this gentleman ended in the ocean he adversely impacted about 5500 other innocent bystanders.

Well stated. It's a topic for a separate thread, but regardless of how this gentleman ended in the ocean he adversely impacted about 5500 other innocent bystanders.

Indeed.

I suspect it would be worthwhile to defer judgement on the cause until more facts are known. But the video and audio seems to infer this was more than an "simple accident".

We'll see.

I'm not sure what the person who posted it on YouTube was thinking, if at all.:confused: If I was that individual I might have watched to see a rescue. I doubt I would have filmed it, and if I did I never would have posted it to YouTube. My immediate though would be to delete it, but I would have saved it for ship security as well as shore side investigators.

Indeed.

I suspect it would be worthwhile to defer judgement on the cause until more facts are known. But the video and audio seems to infer this was more than an "simple accident".

We'll see.

ABC News says " the 35-year-old man jumped from the seventh deck of the ship onto a life raft below and then fell into the water, according to the Coast Guard."

Who knows why he jumped though to begin with.

Thoughts and prayers that they find him and he's ok.

Edited by LuCruise

Assuming the person had the ability to swim and was not injured or disoriented from the fall or prior to going over

From the height involved, neither of these are safe assumptions.

Even diving off a 3-meter (10 ft) springboard can cause an experienced diver to be disoriented if (s)he doesn't enter the water cleanly; not hitting the water cleanly from a 10-meter (35 ft) tower can cause disorientation in a competition-level diver.

As an experienced Underway Officer of the Deck on Navy destroyers, I can vouch for the comments that it is VERY hard, even in ideal circumstances, to locate and maneuver to recover a person that has fallen overboard - even if that "person" is the bright orange dummy we use for these drills.

What an awful situation. Prayers for the man and his family and for those who were trying to rescue him. Honestly I'm rather glad there is the video out there, because I think it stops at least some of the ridiculous speculation and it also showed how many people were trying to help this man.