Please join us - Spain to the New World on a new ship - LIVE from Oceania Riviera

kazu

Kazu - Here is some information for you from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2015/dec2_oceania_riviera.htm

Thanks for your Oceania Riviera review and HAL comparison. It has certainly been very interesting, informative, and enjoyable!

thanks very much. I couldn't find it earlier. Really appreciate it.

I was guessing we had to be around 6% for Bermuda to refuse us, but everything has been a guess. REally appreciate the facts. Thanks so much middle aged mom :)

Kazu - Here is some information for you from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2015/dec2_oceania_riviera.htm

Thanks for your Oceania Riviera review and HAL comparison. It has certainly been very interesting, informative, and enjoyable!

That is a far cry from the 250 supposedly reported on CNN :rolleyes:

That is a far cry from the 250 supposedly reported on CNN :rolleyes:

yes it is ;) - but numbers are still early and in all honesty the crew sickness seems low unless the rest all have the bronchial thing going around?

There have been two issues. The Noro and the bronchial/Cruise Crud. some people are just coughing but others have been quickly affected with chest congestion and needed antibiotics (including our Social Hostess).

It's too bad the ship hadn't communicated with the passengers in a more forthright way to avoid all the guessing.

Jacqui...From following your posts, am I correct in assuming you are not "jumping ship" to Oceania. Seems like what I am reading, each line has it's good or bad points. The biggest good for Oceania seems to be the food, and for me, as long as HAL keeps the smaller ships I am satisfied with all else. Carol:)

Edited by c 2 c

That's very interesting that there is now a rapid test for norovirus - when we were in the midst of an outbreak of G.I. illness, a few years ago, we were told the samples had to be sent in! Much better to know immediately!:)

Hope everything settles down and your disembarkation goes smoothly!

yes it is ;) - but numbers are still early and in all honesty the crew sickness seems low unless the rest all have the bronchial thing going around?

There have been two issues. The Noro and the bronchial/Cruise Crud. some people are just coughing but others have been quickly affected with chest congestion and needed antibiotics (including our Social Hostess).

It's too bad the ship hadn't communicated with the passengers in a more forthright way to avoid all the guessing.

I would bet there are more sick people that did not report in

so jack the number to maybe 100 +

The crew need to report in for any illness

I have had that cruise cough a few times ..it is not fun took me a month or more to get rid of it

It is not a fun way to spend on a cruise

Too bad they cannot confine all passenger to their cabins the first 2 days ...would solve a lot of problems :D

I've become a believer in Zinc for colds. Started packing it for all trips, because I seem to always pick up an airline cold. It seems to nip it in the bud, shortening the duration and lessening the symptoms.

I do not know where it comes from ..we drove to the ship a couple of times & still got the "cruise cough"

will look into the zinc

Edited by LHT28

Jacqui...From following your posts, am I correct in assuming you are not "jumping ship" to Oceania. Seems like what I am reading, each line has it's good or bad points. The biggest good for Oceania seems to be the food, and for me, as long as HAL keeps the smaller ships I am satisfied with all else. Carol:)

ha! ha! I can't go on O again unless I convince DH. I'll post on the other thread eventually. Let's just say our next cruise is on HAL and I am NOT about to cancel it. ;)

I've become a believer in Zinc for colds. Started packing it for all trips, because I seem to always pick up an airline cold. It seems to nip it in the bud, shortening the duration and lessening the symptoms.

A fellow cc'er told me about zinc and now I always bring it. I swear by it too and I think it did help with my cruise cough

ha! ha! I can't go on O again unless I convince DH. I'll post on the other thread eventually. Let's just say our next cruise is on HAL and I am NOT about to cancel it. ;)

A fellow cc'er told me about zinc and now I always bring it. I swear by it too and I think it did help with my cruise cough

I do not know where it comes from ..we drove to the ship a couple of times & still got the "cruise cough"

will look into the zinc

I find that vitamin C does it for me. 500mg every day and double or triple up when I am starting to feel something coming on. May not work for everyone, but does for me.

Trying to read this s entire thread objectively, from the get go, I never felt that O stood a chance with the OP.

It felt like a "glass half empty" attitude to me. I may of course be wrong, but I detected a lot of glee over detecting flaws in O, and little joy over what was done right. Again, this s is just how I heard things. It may nhave t have been the OP's intention at all.

I wish the OP all the best in the future on HAL and the other, more perfect lines. I'm am very, very aware of imperfections on O, so I didn't learn anything new here about the line. But I sure did learn about people. How we do reveal ourselves, sometimes without realizing it!

Safe travels home from Miami, enjoy your life elsewhere. Best wishes.

Donna

I have the opposite view. Before the OP went on the trip she was very active on this board trying to learn about Oceania. I followed her trip and never felt she was trying to find fault or gleeful about faults. Because she felt Oceania did not handle the noro out brake well does not make her a bad person, maybe she is right.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I have the opposite view. Before the OP went on the trip she was very active on this board trying to learn about Oceania. I followed her trip and never felt she was trying to find fault or gleeful about faults. Because she felt Oceania did not handle the noro out brake well does not make her a bad person, maybe she is right.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I never claimed she was a "bad person." For the record.

Donna

I think Kazu was being very positive about this cruise. I have even been tempted to try O.:) I think the sickness thing is really nothing to do with the ship - more to do with the passengers! We had our noro-like outbreak on Jacqui's favourite ship (:eek:), and from what she has said about this, our experience was very similar. The lack of communication is probably policy on all the lines, even though it can be frustrating not to know what is going on.

Trying to read this s entire thread objectively, from the get go, I never felt that O stood a chance with the OP.

It felt like a "glass half empty" attitude to me. I may of course be wrong, but I detected a lot of glee over detecting flaws in O, and little joy over what was done right. Again, this s is just how I heard things. It may nhave t have been the OP's intention at all.

I wish the OP all the best in the future on HAL and the other, more perfect lines. I'm am very, very aware of imperfections on O, so I didn't learn anything new here about the line. But I sure did learn about people. How we do reveal ourselves, sometimes without realizing it!

Safe travels home from Miami, enjoy your life elsewhere. Best wishes.

Donna[/quote

thanks kazu for the comparison between the two lines. We are booked for HAL in April, and will continue to look for something on O, thanks to your reviews. I, myself feel that you were objective in your reviews. thanks again for all the effort it took to post during your vacation. I hope that you have smooth sailing for the remainder of your cruise.

Jacqui,

I, for one, have learned a great deal from this thread. i think you were quite objective. It is hard to compare a new cruise line from your favorite. I think you were quite objective and tried to report things as you saw them.

Every line has their cheerleaders and Lord knows there are plenty of them on HAL as well.

Thank you for all the time and effort you have put into this thread and the wonderful pictures you have posted. They are invaluable.

I am sorry that you had to endure the norovirus during your cruise and it had a negative effect on the journey. It certainly does color the way one experiences the cruise. I wonder some of your latter posts would have been more positive if this had not happened. I wonder if this had happened on HAL had you felt the same way.

I do think that those who feel that Oceania never stood a chance with you are being a bit unfair. Having read your posts and how you always come across so positively, I find that hard to believe.

Again, thank you for all your work in posting this thread and the time and expense this cost you. I, for one, am truly grateful you did this.

Terri

Wow, what an interesting turn of events.

For some of you that don't "know" me, feel free to read my live thread from the Maasdam when I crucified the Pinnacle Grill on board her. They fixed things after we got off for what little good that did us.

I do try to report what is going on and I do try to be objective. No cruise line is perfect. They all have positives and negatives.

We were very much looking forward to this trip and spent a lot of $ and time planning to make the most of it.

My thanks to all on the O board who were so helpful to me when I was researching. It really helped so that I was not stumbling around the first few days like a lost newbie. I was much more prepared thanks to all of you.

Terri, I have had Noro on two other cruises - on the N Amsterdam where it was handled very badly (IMO) and I have not been back on that ship and on the Prinsendam where it was handled well (IMO) and I have been back on that ship.

So, we are not new to Noro at all. It's something that always threatens to raise it's ugly head.

We try to make the best of things no matter what.

this thread is the first time I have ever been called a glass half empty person.

If reports are still wanted, I will let you know how disembarkation goes.

Edited by kazu

Kazu

thank you for posting your observations & photos of the ports

I think it started off very well in comparisons but after the noro struck it got to O vs HAL

After a recent HAL cruise yes there are differences but I was not expecting Oceania

Somethings HAL did do better than Oceania but overall I prefer Oceania

Everyone has comfort in what they know & are used to but it is good to try other lines just to see what the differences are

Safe trip home & hope you do not have much snow

Lyn

Terri, I have had Noro on two other cruises - on the N Amsterdam where it was handled very badly (IMO) and I have not been back on that ship and on the Prinsendam where it was handled well (IMO) and I have been back on that ship.

Jacqui,

I was in no way implying that you were not objective. I was on the NA and did not experience the Norovirus and will never go back on that ship for other reasons.

I think you were quite fair in your reporting and would very much be interested in your disembarkation experience.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Jacqui,

I was in no way implying that you were not objective. I was on the NA and did not experience the Norovirus and will never go back on that ship for other reasons.

I think you were quite fair in your reporting and would very much be interested in your disembarkation experience.

Terri

oops apologies Terri - my reply was general and only the Noro part was directed towards you to answer the question.

I didn't mean to imply that you implied. (is that good English? - LOL)

apologies.