Please join us - Spain to the New World on a new ship - LIVE from Oceania Riviera

kazu

Actually, after being on Insignia during the fire, I would disagree with the person who said that...O handled that situation very well.

No question about that.. I read the reports. Most ships handle the BIG problems well.

The smaller ones - not always so well.

I am loving all the pictures.

But I don't think I would be too happy with one part of the Horizons having a smoke area. I can detect even the slightest bit of smoke and then I start to cough badly.

Some of the chairs don't look too comfortable.

The area is mostly enclosed ..too bad they did not put a door on it though

finally an announcement that the cases are going down. That's all we have been told. It's the first real communication on our situation.

A guest that got CNN told me that they reported we had 250+ cases of Noro on board.

Just what I was told, but it does sound like the cases are dropping which is good news for those getting on in a few days.

I am loving all the pictures.

But I don't think I would be too happy with one part of the Horizons having a smoke area. I can detect even the slightest bit of smoke and then I start to cough badly.

Some of the chairs don't look too comfortable.

KK, all the chairs on this ship are very elegant looking but a lot are not comfortabble (at least for me). It seems some are planned for those of enormous size.

The charis in Horizons are VERY comfortable (at least for me).

There are two entrances into Horizons. The one on the other side avoids the smoking area all together and no one is affected at all. I think it's nice that there is an inside area for the smokers. There sure are a LOT of officers and staff there (including the captain).

Edited by kazu

Jacqui,

Not that I dispute the number of ill, however, nowhere can I find this online and I think I will wait for the official CDC reporting...that number would be very high IMHO, and not sure where they would obtain it, since Oceania has not gotten to US soil to report it. Thank you for your wonderful updates, and pictures!

That smoking area works well, I never smelt any smoke up there. Where I smelt it a lot is by the pool bar. It doesn't bother me however it is there.

Actually I smell it each time I get off the elevator at 15, but if you go in the starboard side you don't notice it at all.

finally an announcement that the cases are going down. That's all we have been told. It's the first real communication on our situation.

A guest that got CNN told me that they reported we had 250+ cases of Noro on board.

Just what I was told, but it does sound like the cases are dropping which is good news for those getting on in a few days.

This would be over 12%, which would be very high, I think they're either confused, misinformed, or just having some fun.

Kazu, I am surprised that Chef Kelly told you that you could take the class even though you were feeling something come on. When I was on Marina a couple of years ago I had the same problem and reported in to the chef. She immediately sent me to Reception to get my refund, she certainly didn't suggest I could still take the class. (Chef Kelly was not on my cruise.) OTOH, they somehow seemed to have lost my reservation even though I had a card confirming my reservation, so maybe she was happy to get rid of me!

I think you make some excellent points about food and utensils being left out in the open, even when Noro isn't going around. But when it IS, that's even worse.

I like Lyn's suggestions about using sanitizer after reading menus or just about anything else. But I can't see it being at all feasible for the ship to shut down all venues on the ship -- like the library and internet cafe. People would scream bloody murder. After all, I was very unhappy about having to eat what to me was overcooked meat when I wasn't having a problem on Marina last spring.

Sanitizer can still be used to such places ... we just have to be diligent.

(And I'm surprised as well that twice the sanitizers were not at the gangway when you returned from shore visits. I can't remember any time when that has happened in recent years.)

Maybe the staff should take "washee washee" lessons from NCL crew. You cannot get into a dining room without using the sanitizer.

These days I travel with sanitizing cloths for brushing down everything in a hotel room -- it's positively scary what germs are found on TV remotes and light switches, to mention just two!

Mura

Jacqui,

Not that I dispute the number of ill, however, nowhere can I find this online and I think I will wait for the official CDC reporting...that number would be very high IMHO, and not sure where they would obtain it, since Oceania has not gotten to US soil to report it. Thank you for your wonderful updates, and pictures!

Actually I smell it each time I get off the elevator at 15, but if you go in the starboard side you don't notice it at all.

This would be over 12%, which would be very high, I think they're either confused, misinformed, or just having some fun.

I couldn't find it on line either. but I have been known to choose the wrong search words.

I think when the CDC report comes out it could be very interesting.

Time will tell.

Just reporting ;)

thanks Mura. I will post pics of the culinary forms tomorrow for the fun of it. Just so people can see what I am talking about.

Well, people may scream bloody murder if things are shut down, but they have certainly been shut down on other ships I have been on to lick the Noro and on our TA it was licked. No one screamed because they knew it was done for their health.

I'm not saying everyone was happy about it - but the sooner the stuff is resolved, the better.

Not sure what the right answer is but there is no question that there seems to be different ways to handle Noro - aka G.I. on different lines.

LOL - on your NCL "washee washee". HAL is the same with the reminder to wash and sing the birthday song to know you have done it long enough. You can't get on the gangway/dining room or other venues without being spritzed.

O is using something called germstar. DH calls it germstarter in gest. (no harm intended).

I know sanitizers don't solve all problems and washing is the best but it can't hurt.

will try to post tomorrow. Have to take care of El Sicko (DH). No, he doesn't have Noro, he has the dam cough that is going around and it went straight to his chest. I shudder to see the bill from the medical centre when it arrives.

Hopefully he will feel better tomorrow with the anitbiotics in him.

Edited by kazu

I guess the crew on the Eurodam did not get the memo

We were never ask nor squirted entering the dining venues or re-boarding the ship

we did it without anyone supervising the entrance to the dining room

I did see many rushing by the gel dispensers to the Lido

The one at the Explorations Cafe was empty for 2 days so no one was checking that one

We used the wipes at the computer stations (which is a good idea) before paying for our coffees

No line is perfect

thanks Mura. I will post pics of the culinary forms tomorrow for the fun of it. Just so people can see what I am talking about.

Well, people may scream bloody murder if things are shut down, but they have certainly been shut down on other ships I have been on to lick the Noro and on our TA it was licked. No one screamed because they knew it was done for their health.

I'm not saying everyone was happy about it - but the sooner the stuff is resolved, the better.

Not sure what the right answer is but there is no question that there seems to be different ways to handle Noro - aka G.I. on different lines.

LOL - on your NCL "washee washee". HAL is the same with the reminder to wash and sing the birthday song to know you have done it long enough. You can't get on the gangway/dining room or other venues without being spritzed.

O is using something called germstar. DH calls it germstarter in gest. (no harm intended).

I know sanitizers don't solve all problems and washing is the best but it can't hurt.

will try to post tomorrow. Have to take care of El Sicko (DH). No, he doesn't have Noro, he has the dam cough that is going around and it went straight to his chest. I shudder to see the bill from the medical centre when it arrives.

Hopefully he will feel better tomorrow with the anitbiotics in him.

here are the parts of the Culinary Class stuff that refer to illness and who may NOT attend.

7a358b66b118a30c839c21abc933edaf.jpg

I apologize that this one is sideways. I couldn't get it turned around for you but the one above is the form where I circled what I had and said that I did have these things. The one below is the rules that came with my Culinary Class tickets.

dc4d6562dffaa88b0b41acc876a676ae.jpg

I thought the forms were pretty clear.

Edited by kazu

The pictures number 3 and 4 with the pictures of the officers is the ship entered by our own kar6223 on our roll call.

There was quite a bit of fun when the "crew" of the various boats answered some of the questions that were required for their ship building.

Question - what is your itinerary - "At Sea - only at sea" to which we all laughed.

the other answer - "anywhere they will let us dock".

Unfortunately two of the boats did not pass the cargo test.

The only two to pass the cargo test were our roll call members and the "Yea" boat (the big one)

another look at our competitors....

693129a64af0517c29e44bd8c284954e.jpg

6e5316a2b9c37aa6063e04823e941b68.jpg

and our CD interviewing "the crew" of the boats.

The ones you see here were the only crew whose boats floated with cargo.

f330bd4f8ac21e340ed96464292e2642.jpg

bbe8f89a965881d41be667edfd99d4bf.jpg

Edited by kazu

the only two ships that successfully sailed. after being loaded with cargo.

All of the ships did sail for the initial trials.

The cargo of pop cans did two in.

The two successful ships - and they were well loaded...

kar6223's ship

cb9db790e54da3b7383515dc30709e91.jpg

94c62ec12daa867b924632c452ca6565.jpg

and the "YEA" shp

a9066af245ecdddf502b0c2153660d49.jpg

And the WINNER was the "YEA" ship. Our roll call member's ship came in second. It was quite ingenious with seating, pools, etc.

A lot of fun on a sea day. Especially when it is your 7th sea day in a row. ;)

the ship is quite modern with very "clean" looking lines to it.

Some of the art objects are very nice

4ed42c3f9441ae7b544fbce069f9208b.jpg

c7fa0d98511a4c8f9b96641176e43e31.jpg

There are a lot of paintings by one artist that abound areas of the ship.

I don't care for them but I am not a huge fan of Picasso's later work either - so everything is subjective ;)

3a222c9d3682dc2396d0b570890094f2.jpg

2940058b645d42703a7d7d7bace317c1.jpg

well I showed you all pics of the Penthouse (our cabin). On our cabin crawl we saw a variety of cabins. Here's the Oceania suite and a sample of how the other half lives. They are at the front or the rear of the ship. Both our hosts reported that this was a non issue for them. Of course, our seas have been mostly very smooth

ea82377f6aaed79d4d1675d081ce7cd3.jpg

c40c6679fa6a1205030fdc21a82bb0eb.jpg

573ed0a2e17190990befce13ff3ba01c.jpg

bc4ccad3a48add4a5f0ad96fb025884a.jpg

b437f46c4fb0c84b2d4c1eb96d6e1d8e.jpg

The Vista Suite is larger with a small work out room. Didn't see the Owner's Suite as no one on the roll call admitted to having one ;)

Did you dock in Nassau today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, we are ON LAND. We are in Nassau and here for two days.

We arrived early around 8 and were cleared around 8:45.

Sitting at Senior Frogs (my first time ever at a Senior Frogs despite all the islands I have visited) for good wifi and a Kalik.

We are in port with the Carnival Fantasy and the Disney Wonder just pulled up a few minutes ago and played "when you wish upon a star" on the horns.

Nassau is going to be busy today and most likely tomorrow since one of the locals told me there were three ships in again tomorrow.

Believe it or not, that is the ships' whiste....

fun for a time, but it must have the crew climbing the walls after a few months.

Oh I thought they were tooting like the Love Boat does! Thanks Stan & Jim.