Please join us - Spain to the New World on a new ship - LIVE from Oceania Riviera

kazu

:)

So what happens if Nassau says no? Stay at sea until the ship can return to Miami? Cut the cruise short? If people are still sick who says that Nassau will allow the ship to dock there. Could be a mess.

My heavens you are a negative Nilly, aren't you?

What makes you think that the ship hasn't already checked?

I would certainly like to think so. They need clearance to dock a day early so I suspect all has been revealed.

My heavens, we are not Typhoid Maries or lepers on the ship. Most people are still healthy.

It might surprise you to know that Noro exists everywhere and cruise ships have the least amount of Noro of the enclosed spaces. Hospitals, schoos, etc. have far more cases.

Many "24 hour bugs" are really Noro or food poisoning as well.

As long as Noro is treated properly it is not life threatening. It is those who hold off getting treated that are usually at risk as they can become dehydrated.

This is not my first encounter on a Noro riddled ship and it is why I may sound critical in some aspects as I have seen how it is properly handled and I have seen it licked.

Until Bermuda, on all my Noro cruises, we were NEVER refused passage in any port.

I suspect the Captain and crew have been very forthright with Nassau. After all, they are professionals.

Kazu,

I admit to being surprised that you had difficulties getting tea, wine, etc., because we did NOT have that problem when Marina has going through this difficulty with Noro.

I suspect you are right that it may be a factor of how many crew are down with the same problem.

We have traveled on O since its onset and never ever had problems with Noro, even when other lines were. But suddenly it seems to be a more consistent problem. I wonder why that is.

It MIGHT be (as others have suggested) because an older demographic has lowered immunity. But O has always had an older demographic ...

It remains a puzzlement.

Kazu,

I admit to being surprised that you had difficulties getting tea, wine, etc., because we did NOT have that problem when Marina has going through this difficulty with Noro.

I suspect you are right that it may be a factor of how many crew are down with the same problem.

We have traveled on O since its onset and never ever had problems with Noro, even when other lines were. But suddenly it seems to be a more consistent problem. I wonder why that is.

It MIGHT be (as others have suggested) because an older demographic has lowered immunity. But O has always had an older demographic ...

It remains a puzzlement.

I don't think it is the demographic at all Mura in all honesty.

I have observed things here that would open anyone's eyes.

And I totally understand why this ship has issues.

I'll post tomorrow what I have observed assuming I don't need a flame suit ;)

I for one will be interested in what you have to say. No need for a flame suit from me!

I really don't think it's the demographic either. But I didn't see anything suspicious on Marina so I would love to hear what you observed. O ships have had sanitizer gizmos available everywhere for quite a while.

These days I travel with my own sanitizer sheets and sprays ...

Mura

The difficulty with getting wine in the terrace is they don't know you are there until you order the wine. One of the reasons they ask for your cabin number in the GDR is so they can relocate your wine before you ask for it. And specialty restaurants get your cabin number before you get there.

My experience in any restaurant (including Terrace) is that when I ask for my wine being held, I give them my room number and whether it's red or white. I many even specify which kind. I also have found it helpful to tell them in which restaurant I had it last.

I have never had a problem getting wine in Terrace (although usually we are in another restaurant). It has seemed to me that the current problems on Riviera may have more to do with reduced staff than an inability to bring a drink to the table.

That's just a guess, however.

Mura

It remains a puzzlement.

I agree Mura

this is something new to Oceania in the past year or two that the bug has joined the cruises

After your cruise in May the ship was clean until Montreal

Sometime after boarding in Montreal up to about day 5 is seemed clear as well but day 6 we noticed the crew wiping down the chairs in the Terrace ...we disembarked that afternoon because of another issue

There were a group of us staying at the same hotel in Montreal along with passengers from the Maasdam that has disembarked the day before

The ship was sick & some passenger were still sick & at the hotel

So one or more of us could have unwittingly pick up the bug

Hotels do not go around disinfecting things like on the cruise ships

It certainly is a mystery

Looking forward to reading Jacqui's observations

Lyn

While this is my first cruise on O, it is by far my first on any cruise line and I have observed and experienced some things that could account for the sanitization issues and, if not the spread of Noro, the reason it wasn't brought to a halt right away.

While sanitizers are around, until the outbreak, no one was encouraged to use them. As we board the gang way on other cruise lines, there is a crew member spritzing you to make sure your hands are clean when you board. Not so on Oceania. In fact, at two of our ports, there were NO hand sanitizers at the gangway. DH noticed that and talking to other roll call members, they agreed so his memory isn't that short :)

Culinary Classes - there is a form you must sign saying that you are not coughing, sneezing or have GI (and a couple of other things). The night before (I think I reported this already) my first cooking class I developed that nuisance cough like a tickle that goes on and on and on. I call it cruise crud. When I reported to Destinations expecting them to cancel me they shuffled me to the Chef. Chef Kelly told me I could go to the class. Huh??? You want someone coughing in your culinary class? My choice was to go or lose the money. So, I circled the applicable items on the health form and said I HAD those and was told to go anyways and signed the form after debating what to do. Once I started coughing I removed my apron, got my recipes and left the class. I subsequently cancelled my remaining classes as I did not think they were safe if that was how they did things.

While I didn't have Noro, I could have and been spreading it. Yes, I covered my mouth but just the same...

Remember yesterday I woke up way too early. I was on deck at 5:00 a.m.I went for a walk around the pool area and low and behold all the place setting were set up at Waves and Terrace Grill. When I asked, I was told they were set up the night before. In the Terrace Grill, maybe, but Waves is outside. Where people walk by, could be coughing, etc.

What I found even MORE disturbing was that all the pastries, fruits, etc. were out at both Waves & the Terrace Grill at 5:00 a.m. They were uncovered (no saran wrap or anything) sitting there fully exposed. All it would take was one person bending down to take a peak and cough or one person who is infected touching them. Breakfast is not served until 7:00 or 7:30 depending upon which restaurant you are eating at so I see no reason for the food to be out that early unprotected with no staff around. After all, they are on trays and it only takes a minute to bring trays out, right???? Personally, I found this alarming that the food was sitting out that long without a staff member around or at least a cover on the food. FWIW, I am up early on other ships and haven't seen this.

Salt and pepper shakers which are deadly are still in existence and creamers are passed from table to table in the Terrace Grill. My experience with Noro in the past has been that the salt and pepper shakers are removed and replaced with the paper containers of salt and pepper immediately.

While the laundry was closed, nothing has else has been (except they finally cancelled the culinary classes). So the library is still open to handle books,the slots are still open for everyone to touch, the computer rooms are still open for people to touch key boards, mouse, etc. The pool and hot tub never closed. For one day at Bingo, there was hand sanitizer so that you could wipe your hands after signing with the mutual pen. That was only one day. After that the cards were passed out and everyone signed using the same pen.

Basically, other than the frantic cleaning you would never know this ship has Noro as none of the things that can attribute to the spread of the illness were curtailed.

When I was at reception about my cough and the culinary class, the lady a reception said she had the same thing. (Great, I thought, you are passing out pens and in contact with guests and you have it).

There were a number of crew sick before the outbreak. One fellow was in the middle part of the Terrace Grill serving and he was constantly ducking down to cough. Certainly he was careful, but....

Servers were coughing, etc. Myself, I don't think staff should be around food if they are sick, but what do I know?

Anyways, those are Kazu's observations.

I do not think it is the demographic of the ship - after all, I am not a spring chicken. I think it is a combination of things and while leaving silverware, glasses and food might work for the Riviera (especially in Waves) in most circumstances (although I wouldn't do it at home), I do think when there is an outbreak a new strategy should be employed.

Think I can get a job with O? LOL

Just my observations.

Edited by kazu

My experience in any restaurant (including Terrace) is that when I ask for my wine being held, I give them my room number and whether it's red or white. I many even specify which kind. I also have found it helpful to tell them in which restaurant I had it last.

I have never had a problem getting wine in Terrace (although usually we are in another restaurant). It has seemed to me that the current problems on Riviera may have more to do with reduced staff than an inability to bring a drink to the table.

That's just a guess, however.

Mura

I think you are right Mura. I think it may be a staffing issue.

We were amazed how quickly we got our wine retireved in Waves and elsewhere. This was a recent development.

So, if this spotty internet will work (don't know why it is so spotty so early in the morning) here is a peak at Horizons for those that might be interested.

The smokers have a very nice area in Horizons. There is a bit of a smell as you pass by but there is another entrance to Horizons so you can easily avoid it. I didn't find the smell permeated into the main area of Horizons.

39d9d95b92a655b0af3e19931fd41a68.jpg

And here are some shots of the rest of the Horizons area. For those HAL people who may be following, Horizons is the equivalent to the Crow's Nest on HAL

7927aafdc3df4fa2c48d371463032736.jpg

3803c5f5ebf9af75c4fc9c025499b7dc.jpg

c821a2757437e365921dd36ce4de27e4.jpg

c99d61fdf0bb0efdb2e163f8468b4f06.jpg

KAZU

I agree with some of your observations

I know they are pushed for time but setting up long before opening especially when there is NORO onboard is just asking for trouble

On embarkation day I rarely go to a restaurant for dinner as people have been fondling the dinnerware at muster drill :eek:

I agree the table condiments should be removed & I usually use my sanitizer after reading the menu ..I do not trust them to wipe them down in between guests ...ANYWHERE even in land based restaurants

call me paranoid

I noticed in your photo the hot tub was empty did they shut it down or just clean it ??

KAZU

I know they are pushed for time but setting up long before opening especially when there is NORO onboard is just asking for trouble

On embarkation day I rarely go to a restaurant for dinner as people have been fondling the dinnerware at muster drill :eek:

I agree the table condiments should be removed & I usually use my sanitizer after reading the menu ..I do not trust them to wipe them down in between guests ...ANYWHERE even in land based restaurants

call me paranoid

I noticed in your photo the hot tub was empty did they shut it down or just clean it ??

One hot tub was closed for chlorination. The other one was open. Both hot tubs are open again after that one was cleaned.

KAZU

call me paranoid

sorry, I meant to add that I did notice them disinfecting the menus in the Grand Dining Room this morning at breakfast. Mind you the inside can't be done but at the least they were disinfecting the outside of the menus.

Just in case any of the roll call is on and for the fun of it.

The big ship building contest is today since it is our last sea day.

Our own kar62223 has a ship she is entering and it sounds absolutely fabulous. So come on out and cheer her on.

Pictures later - she has already agreed :)

Ship building contests are something I find kind of fun and intriguing so I am looking forward to this one and even more so, since Kathy has a ship in the running :)

<snip>

call me paranoid

Me too! I bring hand sanitizer and we all use it after handling menus anywhere. On a ship we each use it in the buffet area after sitting down with our food before touching cutlery or food since we touch the chairs, tables, serving utensils etc.

So far so good...knock on wood!

It could be enlightening to ask the Captain, or other officers, at a Q&A about the noro procedures. There could be some explanation that makes sense.

Or not.

But I don't recall a Q&A session on the Riviera, even with all those sea days on a trans-At. There would be plenty of time for it.

Was there such a session on your cruise, Jacqui?

Kazu,

I have been reading to catch up with all the posts and pictures! I wasn't on the computer much the last two days and now I have to put my running shoes on to try to catch up LOL!

Lovely ship and I appreciate you posting all these pictures. Here I thought you were enjoying Bermuda just to find your sad news that you are missing it altogether. So sorry to read the issues with noro and I agree, from my health and safety and disease transmission background, with your observations for how things could be improved.

It could be enlightening to ask the Captain, or other officers, at a Q&A about the noro procedures. There could be some explanation that makes sense.

Or not.

But I don't recall a Q&A session on the Riviera, even with all those sea days on a trans-At. There would be plenty of time for it.

Was there such a session on your cruise, Jacqui?

Yes, with 7 sea days, there certainly was time RuthC, but there has been no question and answer period that I am aware of unless it was by invitation only and I wasn't invited.

On the Prinsendam I was invited as I did the meet and greet.

In fact, there has been little done for these extra two sea days. Some said there should have been a Grand Brunch today with it being Sunday and two extra sea days.

No extra activities - large or small were planned for the extra two sea days.

And no glass of champagne/open bar for missing our two day port.

Wonder how this will effect your arrival in Miami. This will be its first call at a US port in a while. I believe that brings the USCG and health depts on board for inspections.

The ship was bound to be inspected n any case because of the long length of time from the U.S.

Some are wondering if health officials will come on in Nassau since it is so close to Miami.

I suspect it will not happen until Miami myself. I also suspect they will get us off the ship as fast as possible to start the deep cleaning.

But these are all guesses. Therer has been no communication with the passengers at all about the situation.

As one roll call member said to me, "O has a nice product, but when things go wrong, they are not good at handling them" Their words, not mine and they have sailed O a lot.

As one roll call member said to me, "O has a nice product, but when things go wrong, they are not good at handling them" Their words, not mine and they have sailed O a lot.

Actually, after being on Insignia during the fire, I would disagree with the person who said that...O handled that situation very well.

Actually, after being on Insignia during the fire, I would disagree with the person who said that...O handled that situation very well.

No question about that - I read the reports :) I think most ships handle the BIG things well. It's the smaller things that may not be handled well ;)