It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Wonder if the other cruise lines will follow with their own version of "Evening Chic'. It's 2015 folks, not 1951!

Shockingly, HAL beat X to it. They dropped formal a couple of months ago and have "Gala" nights where a jacket is no longer required. If anyone didn't see this coming on Celebrity, they've been blind to the signs.

Glad some of you don't determine my work dress code - i'd be sitting here in pantyhose, blue suit and a pillbox hat. Fashion has evolved. People like to be comfortable. Formal is not the norm anywhere anymore.

(As a i sit here in black jeans, striped t-shirt and a pair of converse - and I'm a VP in the consumer group of a global finance company)

I'll continue to wear my white Tux' or black dinner suit. I dress to impress my wife and compliment her attire on special occasions. How others choose to dress makes absolutely no difference to me. ..

I wish more people had same attitude...some others think if they even see a "under dressed" person in their peripheral vision that they need to change cruise lines.

You all are so entertaining! It's like you get your fashion cues from old reruns of dynasty!

Like everything else, fashion is in the eye of the beholder, but jeans are not evening chic just because they are expensive, and for those who think so, that's also fairly entertaining. The jeans look is chic shopping, not chic evening. Throwing a jacket over it and wearing a pair of heels doesn't change that.

Z

Like everything else, fashion is in the eye of the beholder, but jeans are not evening chic just because they are expensive, and for those who think so, that's also fairly entertaining. The jeans look is chic shopping, not chic evening. Throwing a jacket over it and wearing a pair of heels doesn't change that.

In NYC that would be evening chic for sure. Nothing to do with price of the jeans, they could be old navy for all i know, it's the total outfit and how the woman is styled. Come to the big city sometime.

Edited by Tura Lura

In NYC that would be evening chic for sure. Nothing to do with price of the jeans, they could be old navy for all i know, it's the total outfit and how the woman is styled. Come to the big city sometime.

Also kinda entertaining you think your little corner of the world is the only perspective. Go to London or Rome sometime.

Also kinda entertaining you think your little corner of the world is the only perspective. Go to London or Rome sometime.

Been there, done that. My point is modern fashion has changed. Folks don't wear mother of the bride looking bedazzled evening wear to dinner anymore.

There is a lot of variety to wear between jeans and tux! You can spend a lot of money on chic clothes that doesn't have to be gowns or tuxes but really can have a chic and sophisticated, well dressed look - welcome to the new world. :)

Thanks you for the post. I was starting to think that I was the only one who realized that. :)

I think it's good news. It's going to make hauling baggage around airports a lot easier. My husband took me to the Senior Prom many decades ago and we have dressed "to the nines" for our children's weddings. We don't feel the need to impress anyone. For people who think this is downgrading the image of Celebrity as better than an average cruise, that's nonsense. A lot of the higher price cruise lines have done away with formal wear a long time ago.

Been there, done that. My point is modern fashion has changed. Folks don't wear mother of the bride looking bedazzled evening wear to dinner anymore.

You really are missing the point. You can be fashionable at a baseball game. That doesn't make it appropriate or tasteful for an elegant dinner. I have yet to read anyone post that mother of the bride looks are what they want everyone to wear for dinner. Would you wear jeans to an evening wedding? Well, maybe you would in NYC....

You really are missing the point. You can be fashionable at a baseball game. That doesn't make it appropriate or tasteful for an elegant dinner. I have yet to read anyone post that mother of the bride looks are what they want everyone to wear for dinner. Would you wear jeans to an evening wedding? Well, maybe you would in NYC....

No, my point is that dinner on a cruise isn't an evening wedding, so you there's no need for it to be so formal. Jeans, however, can be appropriate for "evening chic" at dinner - which is what the new Celebrity dress code is acknowledging.

We travel in 3 weeks and have no email from Celebrity about these changes. I'm afraid it's too late to take anything else but our formal wear.

We'll be getting dressed up, lets have fun!

For us, the change, like many things Celebrity does has not been well thought out. Dresses have been purchased, money spent, and for cruises less than a month away. I understand there would be a slide to implementation from announcement and that is why the did it so quickly, but that still leaves a lot of room for fuzziness. Chic can meant a lot of things, and I actually think HAL did a better job in dressing down than Celebrity did.

I'm a bit ambivalent, I wear what I want, but my partner is looking for a new cruise line to become more loyal too as one of the reasons we've enjoyed cruising is to dress up. When those around you don't, it IS different.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Formal nights have already become optional. Each time I cruise, I look at what people wear on formal nights. Some people truly wear formal attire. They look nice. Most people wear nice clothing which is dressy and not formal. They look nice. Often people dress in formal attire just for dinner and change into casual attire after dinner. That is not looking very nice. It has already become a wear what you want. I was on the Silhouette Recently in Europe for 14 nights.3 formal nights. First formal night, many men wore tirs and jackets( few suits and fewer tuxedos) second formal night, fewer jackets and ties. By the 3rd formal night, many men wore a collared shirt and no tie. Woman in gowns ? There were a few and they looked out of place. Several skirts and dresses and glittery tops on the first formal night. On the other formal nights, most women wore dark pants and tops. People have already gone away from foral attire. Our lives have become casual. I seldom dress up. It has been years since I have received an invitation to a wedding that had black tie requested. I applaud Celebrity for the change. It will certainly make packing easier and cheaper. Take the money that you night have paid for new formal clothes or extra baggage fees and buy an excursion or a drink package. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the Modern Luxury. what you wear does not make or break a cruise. Years ago I had my luggage lost for most of a 2 week cruise. Wore the clothes on my back and Celebriry tees. I had a fabulous cruise.
I saw the same thing on my last Celebrity cruise. Very few formal gowns and tuxes, more cocktail and everyday dresses (lots of sundresses) on women and sports coats and slacks on men. There were even men in jeans, long sleeve shirts and no time and one woman in leggings and a mumu type dress with flip flops on. I dress down on my last cruise, was way overdressed the cruise before in gowns, and I was still over dressed. I applaud Celebrity for the change.

Just because a person is wearing valentino shoes and expensive jeans- doesn't make them look great- in fact with such high heels you might trip and break your ankle on a moving ship!

The women are well dressed in Rome on their scooters! :p

27052FB300000578-3013707-image-m-48_1427410573648.jpg

I want you all to remember all the people in these pictures are MODELS! This is not what you will be seeing. We should all think Joe the plumber including his crack and how about those little (or big) love handles squished into and oozing out of those "designer Jeans"! Not Chic at all

I wonder if Celebrity could consider designating part of the dining room for 'traditional' formal nights? It could be something you indicate when you book your cruise, e.g. 'Will your party participate in traditional formal nights' and then assign the space accordingly - maybe even put up light partitions on formal nights to separate it a bit. The dress code for that area on formal night should be strictly enforced.

It obviously means a lot to some people, and I can understand that if you are dressed 'to the nines' that you would want to be surrounded by like-minded people. The rest of the dining room could require a 'smart casual' dress code. I really think that most people aren't going to wear rags.

Celebrity has to try to please as wide a variety of tastes as possible if they want to fill their ships. Surely there must be a way for everyone to get along :)

I want you all to remember all the people in these pictures are MODELS! This is not what you will be seeing. We should all think Joe the plumber including his crack and how about those little (or big) love handles squished into and oozing out of those "designer Jeans"! Not Chic at all

But then you get dinner AND a show! :)

image.jpg1_zpsqv05yuxa.jpg

These and some PJ bottoms will allow me to be comfy and chic for my upcoming cruise! No reason in this world to fight the moving of time. Maybe some tee shirts that look like blouses. I just got some very chic flip flops they are red so they will match the outfit!

Edited by Hflors

Have you seen some of the formal attire on these ships. Some look like they haven't purchased a new formal since the 80's

I've also seen casual attire as well on a cruise that I would not work in my garden in.

Yes, I have, but I prefer to focus on the positive. I have seen young, old, slim, chubby who have taken a real effort to put on their best to look good and feel good for those they are with, including elderly ladies in their 80's formal wear. If it makes them feel elegant, and puts a sparkle in the old guy's eyes, that's what I love about formal night. I guess I am on the side that hopes they don't become just another meal on a cruise.

I really need to quit posting on this thread, because everybody has their own opinion and clearly nobody is going to change it. I'll put myself in that boat (no pun intended).

I like this point. The guy pictured in the jeans and sweater would look great in his birthday suit, actually outstanding, but that doesn't make him dressed for evening chic.

(As a i sit here in black jeans, striped t-shirt and a pair of converse - and I'm a VP in the consumer group of a global finance company)

With regards to working attire, I think it obviously differs between nations as we have a written dress code at work which stipulates no jeans, flip flops etc. Staff have been sent home to change if they are not wearing the appropriate attire. My DH works for an American company and they think it's quite strange when they visit the UK as all the office employees wear suits, smart clothing etc - no jeans allowed. Some companies are introducing a dress-down Friday for office staff, however, most still conform to business attire. Same for our schools: only school uniform permitted for reception (kindergarten) children upwards, which includes wearing a blazer at all times for high school children and suits for 6th formers (pre university) ;).

Personally, I think most pax wear what they want presently anyway (we've definitely seen a change in the clothing side of cruising since we first began sailing), so it's not going to make that much of a difference. I can't remember seeing a gown on anyone recently, and very few tuxes. And to be perfectly honest, I think I have changed my own outfits to adapt to these changes without even realising it's happening. Hopefully the majority of X's clientele possess enough 'class' to realise what is appropriate and what is not ;).

Hflors,

Please, please I beg NOT the Christmas jumpers - to be worn for fundraising purposes ONLY :D :p.