Issues of courtesy on a river cruise

Kenster

We are usually the youngest on Viking and I think the "loud volume" on the TV has more to do with people taking out their hearing aids before bed... and then falling asleep with the TV on.

We were rafted next to another Viking ship going thru one of the locks near the Iron Gate. There was an extremely loud group on the other sundeck and we were really happy not to be sharing a ship with them.

The other travel suggestion I have: Ziploc bags. I pack a LOT of stuff in quart and gallon sized ziplocs...for one, your liquids and gels won't burst everywhere and it's a great way to keep socks and small items under control. Then I pack my souveniers in them for the return.

LOL - I was thinking the same thing about the TVs :) I should by stock in Ziploc bags - I use them for soooo much! I take a gallon sized one and fill it with all sizes!

Nearly all small appliances, at least those that you would take on a cruise (not sure about your toaster) are dual voltage so there is no worries about your laptops, phones, cameras, curling irons, etc. (don't take a hairdryer. there's one in your cabin. Avalon even loans out laptops!)

So, yes... your American extension cord will plug into your Euro adapter,, then plug your devices into the extension cord.

Oh no - I was planning on bringing my toaster :eek: Hearing some of the things people seem to need to bring on ocean cruises, I'll bet that's been tried :)

LOL - I was thinking the same thing about the TVs :) I should by stock in Ziploc bags - I use them for soooo much! I take a gallon sized one and fill it with all sizes!

I always bring some sheets of bubble wrap along with the zip locks....for that breakable thing you desperately want, is too small to ship and you just know it won't make it home in one piece in your suitcase or carry-on. Wrap it in bubble wrap and then stuff it in a shoe.

Major topic drift going on in this thread. My fault for bringing up the extension cords. Maybe we need a "helpful hints" thread and the moderator can move the off topic posts over there.

But such is the nature of a message board.

I always bring some sheets of bubble wrap along with the zip locks....for that breakable thing you desperately want, is too small to ship and you just know it won't make it home in one piece in your suitcase or carry-on. Wrap it in bubble wrap and then stuff it in a shoe.

That's a good idea! Will have to put bubble wrap on my list. I was hoping to pick up a piece of Delft in Amsterdam. Last time we were there we went to the factory in Delft, but I'm sure they have it in Amsterdam

That's a good idea! Will have to put bubble wrap on my list. I was hoping to pick up a piece of Delft in Amsterdam. Last time we were there we went to the factory in Delft, but I'm sure they have it in Amsterdam

They have it everywhere.....I bought a beautiful Christmas ornament at the factory in Delft. The only advantage I can see to the factory is the variety of pieces under one roof.

Major topic drift going on in this thread. My fault for bringing up the extension cords. Maybe we need a "helpful hints" thread and the moderator can move the off topic posts over there.

But such is the nature of a message board.

I'll try and bring it back on course here....

I concur with your suggestions for being a good cruiser.

And if you wind up with someone who is completely oblivious to all of the wonderful things going on around them, and just want to focus on the negative, TIE THEM UP WITH YOUR EXTENSION CORD that you always pack. You can use a 110v for this, no converter needed. That'll learn 'em.

;)

And if you wind up with someone who is completely oblivious to all of the wonderful things going on around them, and just want to focus on the negative, TIE THEM UP WITH YOUR EXTENSION CORD that you always pack. You can use a 110v for this, no converter needed. That'll learn 'em.

;)

Now that I really like! I am big fan of multi-use products. :)

Edited by caviargal

Back on topic, I agree with all of OP's points. It's amazing how some people have no clue about common courtesy in public places. We experienced only minor annoyances on our 2 river cruises; people were generally well behaved and considerate. One woman on our last cruise had the same croupy cough the OP mentioned, and it was painful being on a bus with her. Several people did change seats after she sat behind them, but she didn't seem to notice. She was the first one on the dance floor each night and I wanted to tell her she should go to bed and get some sleep! We tried to keep our distance from her as much as possible.

I need quiet to fall asleep, so the loud tv and talking outside my door would have made me very cranky. I would have spoken up though, asking people to take their conversation elsewhere and asking the front desk to have my neighbors turn down their tv. I don't think it's bad manners to ask people to be respectful if it's done politely. In these cases, people may not have realized they were bothering anyone.

We experienced the most obnoxious behavior though when touring Versailles. It was pretty crowded although not as horrible as I had expected and our guide did a great job of maneuvering us through until a large foreign tour group came up behind us. I actually had a man put his hands on my shoulders and try to push me aside while one of his companions used her elbows to try to shove through! I had not expected

to be involved in a wrestling match in Versailles.

I'll try and bring it back on course here....

I concur with your suggestions for being a good cruiser.

;)

I think....maybe....I might have read somewhere that there could be laws against this.....but that doesn't mean you can't think about it!! :D

Back on topic, I agree with all of OP's points. It's amazing how some people have no clue about common courtesy in public places. We experienced only minor annoyances on our 2 river cruises; people were generally well behaved and considerate. One woman on our last cruise had the same croupy cough the OP mentioned, and it was painful being on a bus with her. Several people did change seats after she sat behind them, but she didn't seem to notice. She was the first one on the dance floor each night and I wanted to tell her she should go to bed and get some sleep! We tried to keep our distance from her as much as possible.

I need quiet to fall asleep, so the loud tv and talking outside my door would have made me very cranky. I would have spoken up though, asking people to take their conversation elsewhere and asking the front desk to have my neighbors turn down their tv. I don't think it's bad manners to ask people to be respectful if it's done politely. In these cases, people may not have realized they were bothering anyone.

We experienced the most obnoxious behavior though when touring Versailles. It was pretty crowded although not as horrible as I had expected and our guide did a great job of maneuvering us through until a large foreign tour group came up behind us. I actually had a man put his hands on my shoulders and try to push me aside while one of his companions used her elbows to try to shove through! I had not expected

to be involved in a wrestling match in Versailles.

And I'm back on topic too. For the most part I've only once met someone who was totally obnoxious and that was on our last trip. This man was a racist, homophobe who insisted on talking politics (only he didn't discuss, he lectured). In his defense, he was drunk most of the time and his wife was as sweet as he was hateful. When he told a particularly offensive joke, I realized that I had two choices: throw my wine in his face or get up and leave the table....I was leaving when I saw a 4 top with only 2 people at it so I asked if I could join them and our waiter moved both my husband and I to their table, complete with our dinners and wine.

They have it everywhere.....I bought a beautiful Christmas ornament at the factory in Delft. The only advantage I can see to the factory is the variety of pieces under one roof.

Seeing them create the pieces was very interesting. And they do have quite the variety of pieces. They also had some with minor flaws that were discounted considerably!

And I'm back on topic too. For the most part I've only once met someone who was totally obnoxious and that was on our last trip. This man was a racist, homophobe who insisted on talking politics (only he didn't discuss, he lectured). In his defense, he was drunk most of the time and his wife was as sweet as he was hateful. When he told a particularly offensive joke, I realized that I had two choices: throw my wine in his face or get up and leave the table....I was leaving when I saw a 4 top with only 2 people at it so I asked if I could join them and our waiter moved both my husband and I to their table, complete with our dinners and wine.

Yes - sorry about the deviations! Wow - I wouldn't have wanted that! I think we would have changed tables as well. Discussing politics at dinner, never ends well :rolleyes:

I always bring earplugs when we travel so the TV noise wouldn't bother me much, but now I'm thinking about packing one of those face masks Asians are always wearing. I don't want to get sick, but if I do I don't want to stay in my room and miss anything. I'll have the mask to prevent someone from passing to me and for me so I don't pass it along. Do they come in nice colors - prints perhaps? There could be a market for that :)

Yes - sorry about the deviations! Wow - I wouldn't have wanted that! I think we would have changed tables as well. Discussing politics at dinner, never ends well :rolleyes:

I always bring earplugs when we travel so the TV noise wouldn't bother me much, but now I'm thinking about packing one of those face masks Asians are always wearing. I don't want to get sick, but if I do I don't want to stay in my room and miss anything. I'll have the mask to prevent someone from passing to me and for me so I don't pass it along. Do they come in nice colors - prints perhaps? There could be a market for that :)

You know Kath....that's how millions are made! I was leafing through one of those "things to make life easier now that you're old" catalogs and found these chains with clips on the end that you use to hold your napkin over your chest. They came in silver for the guys and pearls for the ladies so I bought two because quite honestly, I got tired of spending each night with the Tide stick washing dinner off DH's shirt! Anyway, everyone was impressed with them and asked about them and we started talking about how they looked familiar and finally someone blurted out "the dentist"!! And he was right...it's the same principle as the dentist's bib and somewhere somebody made a freakin' fortune by making the chains with pearls!! :D So here's my idea: they're cheap enough....sell the paper masks in boxes of multi-colors so they can be color coordinated with your outfit every day!!! :D

And there goes the thread again...off into hijack city!!! :D

Great list by the OP. I would like to add another thing to the list:

If it is obvious that you can't keep up with a tour group, for any reason, then for the next tour get into the slow group and stop bringing the other tours to a crawl to facilitate yourself. I don't care if you're in the best shape of anyone at your nursing home, if you can't keep up get into a slow group with other similar cruisers. Forget your ego, and respect your fellow cruisers with what is often uncommon courtesy!

One of my chief complaints with the cruise companies is that they allow cruisers, with readily apparent, and sometimes even after other cruisers have complained, physical problems to bring tours to a near halt. Nothing ticks me off more than having a tour guide tell us that "we can't complete the remaining 1/3rd of the tour and have to start back to the bus now, because some of the group are so slow we don't have the time." :mad: I also don't like having to help lift and carry a lady (especially when they weigh about 50% more than I) up a long flight of stairs because they can't make it, and were warned by the tour guide that a lot of stair climbing was required for that day, if they went on the regular tour!!!:mad:

You know Kath....that's how millions are made! I was leafing through one of those "things to make life easier now that you're old" catalogs and found these chains with clips on the end that you use to hold your napkin over your chest. ....

And there goes the thread again...off into hijack city!!! :D

LOL! I may have to look into that! Could make a fortune selling them in China and Japan!

And once again we veer off the track.

Let me see ... what can I say about courtesy. I haven't been on a river cruise yet, but I've been on plenty of ocean cruises. Do the balcony/veranda doors slam like they do on a cruise ship? I know people are always complaining about the door slammers.

Do they come in nice colors - prints perhaps? There could be a market for that :)

Sorry, that market niche has been filled ;-) (many options, I just picked one to post)

beesure-face-masks-earloop-floral-design-2310-2320.jpg

http://www.net32.com/ec/beesure-earloop-face-mask-plumeria-printed-floral-d-122220?utm_source=Windfall&utm_medium=ProductFeed&utm_content=dental&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CMKIgN35jckCFdgcgQodGVcPag

LOL - thanks! Now I know where to get them so I can be courteous and not sneeze on anyone on my river cruise. But that's me - always a day late and a dollar short!

I'm almost positive there is a Delft Factory store right in Amsterdam. I bought a bud vase there, the type with all the holes. Anyway they wrapped it up fantastic plenty of bubble wrap. Same with the Christmas decorations from the Kathy W store in Germany. They know how to wrap it for airline travel.

Great list by the OP. I would like to add another thing to the list:

If it is obvious that you can't keep up with a tour group, for any reason, then for the next tour get into the slow group and stop bringing the other tours to a crawl to facilitate yourself. I don't care if you're in the best shape of anyone at your nursing home, if you can't keep up get into a slow group with other similar cruisers. Forget your ego, and respect your fellow cruisers with what is often uncommon courtesy!

One of my chief complaints with the cruise companies is that they allow cruisers, with readily apparent, and sometimes even after other cruisers have complained, physical problems to bring tours to a near halt. Nothing ticks me off more than having a tour guide tell us that "we can't complete the remaining 1/3rd of the tour and have to start back to the bus now, because some of the group are so slow we don't have the time." :mad: I also don't like having to help lift and carry a lady (especially when they weigh about 50% more than I) up a long flight of stairs because they can't make it, and were warned by the tour guide that a lot of stair climbing was required for that day, if they went on the regular tour!!!:mad:

I am a slow walker and I am more than grateful that Vantage has now instituted a "slow walkers" group....they never had one before and many times my choice was not slow or regular walkers but go or don't go. I never enjoyed being at the back of the pack, but I never held anyone back and I would certainly never expect anyone to help carry me up stairs, although an offered hand is usually welcome. I don't disagree with anything you've said, but here's my question to you: how do you suggest the TD tell someone who has paid the same amount for their trip as everyone else "I'm sorry, but you can't go on this excursion because you can't walk fast enough and climb the necessary stairs to go on the tour"...all they can so is politely suggest that a person reconsider but they cannot refuse to let you go..I think one answer is what Vantage did this last time, and I know other companies do it as well: hand out a private questionnaire at the first port talk and have everyone list their physical capability as well as their interests...and then group them accordingly. We had a gentle walkers group and a shoppers group....and I get annoyed when a tour is cut short because several people want to go shopping or visit a cafe, while I want to see and do things I cannot see and do at home. It's a difficult problem.

how do you suggest the TD tell someone who has paid the same amount for their trip as everyone else "I'm sorry, but you can't go on this excursion because you can't walk fast enough and climb the necessary stairs to go on the tour"...all they can so is politely suggest that a person reconsider but they cannot refuse to let you go..

That is unfortunate IMO, that one inconsiderate guest can ruin it for everyone else. We had this happen in Ghent, where one woman insisted she be on a Limited Edition Tour noted as a level 3 of 5 for difficulty. We were late getting to the chocolate maker where they had opened before hours to accommodate us and it was due to her not being able to walk at the needed pace. More than half of us left for the 2nd half as it became ridiculous.

In our case, the enjoyment of 10 people at least was compromised by one. The tour director IMO should have handled this so as not to make more than half the group lose out.

Hydrokitty;

For river cruises, I have only been on Viking and Uniworld. Both have the same procedure. The CD has a port meeting the evening before each day and fully outlines the next day activities, the various tours, and the rigor of each tour. On those lines, a slow or gentle walker tour is always available as an option. Some cruisers refuse to take that option and willingly impose on other cruisers. I consider it extremely rude on their part.

Uniworld typically had time for shopping or more eating:confused: on each of our tours. We rarely utilized our free time for those activities. We continued to sightsee and visit (or revisit) sights either the tour didn't go to our didn't spend enough time at.

My Avalon Cruise in September also had "slow walkers" group. The CD even got special "trains & shuttles" for that group when she felt the walk (uphill) was going to be too much for this group.

Avalon was very proactive and thoughtful about this!

I agree with all three of you. In Caviargal's case, I would be furious with the TD for not making an alternate arrangement. I've been to Ghent and it's a major city....how hard would it have been to arrange a taxi to meet the bus, and take this person to the chocolate factory. I also agree that it was totally insensitive on her part, knowing the trip was a strenuous one, to insist on going without asking for some accommodation. When in Passau our TM called a taxi to the ship for those of us who could not make the steep climb to St. Stephen's but still wanted to hear the organ concert. That's what I call doing their job.

Pinotlover: Regarding shopping, I'm not talking about the hour free time spent in the market square as much as I'm talking about visiting the "preferred merchant" to buy stuff. Sometimes we've spent more time doing that than in museums...and I have complained and they seem to be cutting back on those.

J'ville: This is what Vantage did on my last trip. In Cologne there was a walking tour to the Dom or for those who preferred not to walk that distance, there was a local tram that was 1/2 block from the ship that would take us to the Dom. We had to pay, but it was worth every cent because #1 I would have died on that walk and #2 the driver pointed out that we could get combo tickets that would take us from the Dom to the zoo where we could ride the gondola across the river at a discounted rate and THAT was the highlight of our day, since we had been to Cologne before.

I get very frustrated with fellow cruisers who clearly do not meet the company's published guidelines on trip difficulty and then hold up then entire group. When the tour guide then suggests that they stop and rest in a cafe while the remainder of the group tours on, they ought to take that advice rather than struggle on holding up everyone else.

One of my pet peeves, the solution to which seems simple and obvious. When crossing a street, some folks hit the other side walk and just stop allowing others nowhere to go and requiring them to stand in the street or "fight through" to find a safe place to stand. How hard is it to keep walking to allow space for others?