Issues of courtesy on a river cruise

Kenster

Courtesy is so underrated. We appreciate most the people with good manners and thank you for sharing your reminders. Plenty of fun can be had by all without spoiling it for others. We second all the suggestions -- for everywhere all the time!

On the question of outlets: we find the newer Viking boats have multiple outlets (both 110 and 220) in multiple locations in the cabins - very handy. It seems that may not be the case on Avalon and ???

I always take a 220 extension cord with multiple outlets (easily available online) and more than one appropriate adapter for the countries I'm in. They always comes in handy in hotels and B&Bs where plugs can be in very inconvenient locations.

For onboard, I carry a charger in my purse that will refill an Ipad once in addition to my android tablet a few times before it needs a refill itself. This is handy on long flights and in boat lounges where the only outlets may be situated for vacuum cleaners (Viking) and in airports where the available outlets always seem to be busy.

Courtesy is so underrated. We appreciate most the people with good manners and thank you for sharing your reminders. Plenty of fun can be had by all without spoiling it for others. We second all the suggestions -- for everywhere all the time!

And really not difficult to do. It mostly requires you to look around you and outside your personal bubble. And to stop and think - "would I like or dislike that behavior! Golden rule works every time!

For onboard, I carry a charger in my purse that will refill an Ipad once in addition to my android tablet a few times before it needs a refill itself. This is handy on long flights and in boat lounges where the only outlets may be situated for vacuum cleaners (Viking) and in airports where the available outlets always seem to be busy.

We have those - and plan to bring them. Figure they might come in handy! We also have extra chargeable batteries for our cameras.

LOL - thanks! Now I know where to get them so I can be courteous and not sneeze on anyone on my river cruise. But that's me - always a day late and a dollar short!

Well it was a good idea while it lasted!!! At least now we know it's true: great minds think alike!!! :D But I have to admit I've never seen them for sale or being used. Have you?

As for courtesy...you're all right...it's such a simple thing and yet it's so underused, especially by the young people....nobody teaches good manners any more. I remember a newspaper column where people would right in (kind of like Dear Abby) called Ask Miss Manners....and if you weren't sure what you should do in a given situation she would tell you. Of course, things have changed and some of the things she suggested would definitely not work today.

Edited by Hydrokitty

And really not difficult to do. It mostly requires you to look around you and outside your personal bubble. And to stop and think - "would I like or dislike that behavior! Golden rule works every time!

I suspect the second sentence is the real key here. We were standing in a crowded restaurant lobby yesterday waiting for a table along with half the town [restaurant week]. This restaurant really isn't designed for the crowds it gets, so the waiting area blocks staff access to the kitchen, bar and hostess desk. Every time there was a party of 4 or more they would completely block the middle and get absorbed in their conversation to the point that they were oblivious to the problem they were creating -- even after multiple staff had politely forced their way through. [is there an emoji for "OBLIVIOUS!" ???] As Yogi said, "You can see a lot just by looking" :)

But I have to admit I've never seen them for sale or being used. Have you?

Absolutely, but then, I've been making business trips to China every so often since 2011....Much more common in Asia. But I've seen it occasionally in the US as well....

Absolutely, but then, I've been making business trips to China every so often since 2011....Much more common in Asia. But I've seen it occasionally in the US as well....

That would explain it....we had to cancel China last year but I sure could have used them in Egypt....the fine desert sand blowing in the air all the time reeked havoc on my lungs!!! :D

I suspect the second sentence is the real key here. We were standing in a crowded restaurant lobby yesterday waiting for a table along with half the town [restaurant week]. This restaurant really isn't designed for the crowds it gets, so the waiting area blocks staff access to the kitchen, bar and hostess desk. Every time there was a party of 4 or more they would completely block the middle and get absorbed in their conversation to the point that they were oblivious to the problem they were creating -- even after multiple staff had politely forced their way through. [is there an emoji for "OBLIVIOUS!" ???] As Yogi said, "You can see a lot just by looking" :)

Yogi was a very wise man. :D

On the question of outlets: we find the newer Viking boats have multiple outlets (both 110 and 220) in multiple locations in the cabins - very handy. It seems that may not be the case on Avalon and ???

Avalon ships have three outlets: One on wall near one side of the bed. One on the desk. One in the bathroom.

always take a 220 extension cord with multiple outlets (easily available online) and more than one appropriate adapter for the countries I'm in. They always comes in handy in hotels and B&Bs where plugs can be in very inconvenient locations.

220 extension cords are not necessary for small devices like phone/camera chargers, curling irons, etc. 110 cords work just fine.

That would explain it....we had to cancel China last year but I sure could have used them in Egypt....the fine desert sand blowing in the air all the time reeked havoc on my lungs!!! :D

So even in January there was fine sand blowing in the Egyptian air? That would reek havoc on DH's lungs, too. We'll have to go prepared.

Definitely much more common to see them in Asia, although I've never seen people wearing the ones with the pretty designs. ;)

So even in January there was fine sand blowing in the Egyptian air? That would reek havoc on DH's lungs, too. We'll have to go prepared.

Absolutely....the sand is so fine it's everywhere and all the time. If he has serious lung problems he should check with his doctor, he might recommend a nebulizer in case of emergency. The good news is the doctor they sent to the ship for me and one other passenger was very nice, very thorough, spoke perfect English and came prepared. I would imagine this happens a lot....and I felt much better after the breathing treatment....but a mask will make a big difference.

I second your recommendation for Ziploc bags, Bailey Swedishfish! If something does leak, it contains the damage!

And this is sort of a quirky comment about consideration for your fellow passengers... please do not frequent the "common areas" unless you are fully dressed. We had a woman on our Viking cruise who would get her cup of coffee each morning and sit in the little lounge adjoining the coffee machine... in her robe and slippers!

I second your recommendation for Ziploc bags, Bailey Swedishfish! If something does leak, it contains the damage!

And this is sort of a quirky comment about consideration for your fellow passengers... please do not frequent the "common areas" unless you are fully dressed. We had a woman on our Viking cruise who would get her cup of coffee each morning and sit in the little lounge adjoining the coffee machine... in her robe and slippers!

Dear Lightning Bug, I promise that lady was not me, BUT had my cabin been VERY close by, you would have observed me sneaking (in my robe & slippers) into the coffee lounge (at back of boat, not lobby) every single morning to get a couple cups of coffee. I'm afraid I would not have cared who I entertained in my quest for COFFEE!! :) I would not have hung around however after scoring said coffee. Ok confession over!

Edited by JVilleGal

GCT has the following in their travel handbook:

"We reserve the right for our Program Directors to modify participation, or in some circumstances send travelers home if their limitations are impacting the group's experience."

I'm sure other cruise lines have similar statements. Many people do not read this and say they the PDs have no right to send them back to the ship.

Never leave home without ziplocs....a couple of small ones...large ones and jumbo ones for my clothes....also a couple of squares of bubble wrap.

I share your comment. It amazes me when we stay in hotels with the breakfast buffet how many people will come down to b-fast in their jammies....and I'm not talking about little kids, I'm talking adult women.

Pre-Coffee it is also not a good idea to confront a non-morning-person! [speaking personally :)]

Even DH knows better than to utter more than "Hi" before I've had my coffee!!! When I was a newlywed I got up to fix him breakfast every day. This went on until the morning I poured orange juice on his cereal and in his coffee!! Now he fixes his own breakfast and cuts my bagel because I'm not allowed to touch a knife until I've had coffee!! BUT, I would still not go anywhere outside of my cabin in my robe and slippers...:D

GCT has the following in their travel handbook:

"We reserve the right for our Program Directors to modify participation, or in some circumstances send travelers home if their limitations are impacting the group's experience."

I'm sure other cruise lines have similar statements. Many people do not read this and say they the PDs have no right to send them back to the ship.

I am a Tour Director. Occasionally, there will be an activity, such as a long walk involving a hill or many steps, that will not be appropriate for someone on my tour. I will speak to them, privately, ahead of time and tell them that they might want to sit this one out and that I know a great place in the park where you can sit and read your book and enjoy the beautiful day. I've never had to insist that someone stay behind but I certainly would if their participation would impede the progress and enjoyment of the rest of the group.

I am a Tour Director. Occasionally, there will be an activity, such as a long walk involving a hill or many steps, that will not be appropriate for someone on my tour. I will speak to them, privately, ahead of time and tell them that they might want to sit this one out and that I know a great place in the park where you can sit and read your book and enjoy the beautiful day. I've never had to insist that someone stay behind but I certainly would if their participation would impede the progress and enjoyment of the rest of the group.

That's what you're supposed to do....not being snide or facetious...just complimenting you on handling an awkward situation with compassion and offering a different alternative besides "you can't go, so stay on the ship till we come back"...thank you.

I share your comment. It amazes me when we stay in hotels with the breakfast buffet how many people will come down to b-fast in their jammies....and I'm not talking about little kids, I'm talking adult women.

I applied for a temp position one time, and they made me sign a paper that said, I wouldn't report for work in pajamas. After I finished laughing, I said to the women, "This is a joke, right." She said, "Sadly, it's not." My mind was officially boggled! :)

I mean really - how long does it take to throw on a pair of pants and a top?

I am an early riser and generally am out looking for coffee no later than 6am. On my recent Uniworld cruise, the coffee machine was located all the way in the back of the boat. I ran into people in bathrobe and slippers quite often while making my coffee or tea. I would not be comfortable doing that personally, knowing there would be others around.

I am an early riser and generally am out looking for coffee no later than 6am. On my recent Uniworld cruise, the coffee machine was located all the way in the back of the boat. I ran into people in bathrobe and slippers quite often while making my coffee or tea. I would not be comfortable doing that personally, knowing there would be others around.

Yeah me neither....besides I am no longer young enough, thin enough or cute enough to get away with that!:D

Kath: An INTERVIEW??? for a JOB???? and you had to promise not to come to work in pajamas....what is the world coming to??? :eek:

Yeah me neither....besides I am no longer young enough, thin enough or cute enough to get away with that!:D

Kath: An INTERVIEW??? for a JOB???? and you had to promise not to come to work in pajamas....what is the world coming to??? :eek:

Truly - I kept asking the woman if she was kidding, and she assured me she was not. I didn't end up temping for them, so I can't say as I've seen anyone coming to work in pjs, but I guess there were enough.

I plan to get coffee from the coffee station when we're on our cruise - I promise NOT to wear pj's :) I will put on pants and a top :)

That's what butlers are for, Scenic style no need to leave your cabin at all, whatever your early morning preference delivered with a smile at whatever time you require. Mind you I like an early morning coffee and walk on the deck as well. Here's to good coffee and great cruising.