No more free WOW bands on Anthem

Dave85

Upload your own security photo, check in in a few minutes via a roving agent with a tablet, Royal iQ app, Voom internet, among other things. Frankly, the WOW bands are pretty minor

I would agree with this statement, Turtles, and also add that the technology in Two70 is amazing and way more technologically advanced than what we see anywhere else. Wow Bands, although somewhat convenient to help open a door or buy a drink if you do forget your seapass in the stateroom, is really a very minor 'technology' and not even equal to the use of an actual seapass card.

Again... just my 2-cents.

Other than the roving tablet check in, all the ships have Royal IQ app, high-speed wifi- what I am saying is these were supposed to be super high-tech ships with distinguishable features from other ships. They don't seem to have much different now than the other class of ships. I am sure 270 is spectacular but not what I think of when I think of a "smart" ship.

Other than the roving tablet check in, all the ships have Royal IQ app, high-speed wifi- what I am saying is these were supposed to be super high-tech ships with distinguishable features from other ships. They don't seem to have much different now than the other class of ships. I am sure 270 is spectacular but not what I think of when I think of a "smart" ship.

I believe the Royal IQ app is only for the Quantum and Anthem right now (and the upcoming Harmony & Ovation). It wasn't connected on the Oasis for us in September.

And the super high speed wifi is only on Quantum and Oasis class. It is pretty great on the Oasis though, just like the wifi at home.

Edited by Yorkvillain

And I thinks the fact that wow band was never event a useful as a sea pass card was where they went wrong to begin with.

I would absolutely agree with this. If they actually had all the functionality of the seapass card their adoption and usefulness would have been much better for the cruisers. We had them on our Quantum cruise earlier in the year and really found no use for them. I kept mine in my beach bag in case I forgot my seapass card when I went to the pool. That is pretty much where it stayed for our time onboard.

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing them for our upcoming cruise on Anthem in December.

Edited by SnappyNappi

And I thinks the fact that wow band was never event a useful as a sea pass card was where they went wrong to begin with.

I would absolutely agree with this. If they actually had all the functionality of the seapass card their adoption and usefulness would have been much better for the cruisers. We had them on our Quantum cruise earlier in the year and really found no use for them. I kept mine in my beach bag in case I forgot my seapass card when I went to the pool. That is pretty much where it stayed for our time onboard.

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing them for our upcoming cruise on Anthem in December.

Isn't the only difference that you can't use the WOW band when you exit/enter the ship? I can't think of anything else.

I agree with you both, I will not purchase the WOW bands on my next Anthem cruise. I found them very convenient but I will not pay for them out of spite.

Isn't the only difference that you can't use the WOW band when you exit/enter the ship? I can't think of anything else.

I agree with you both, I will not purchase the WOW bands on my next Anthem cruise. I found them very convenient but I will not pay for them out of spite.

Take the one from your Quantum sailing and have them reconfigure it for your next sailing. Oh wait, this is RC. They can't get emails out to all their CA members so this request would have them scratching their heads. :D

Take the one from your Quantum sailing and have them reconfigure it for your next sailing. Oh wait, this is RC. They can't get emails out to all their CA members so this request would have them scratching their heads. :D

Haha! Good point.

I kept mine as a souvenir however Courtney tossed hers in the trash when we left the ship. We were pleasantly surprised with the WOW bands though. We didn't think we would end up using them. We ended up using them every day and found them very convenient.

Haha! Good point.

I kept mine as a souvenir however Courtney tossed hers in the trash when we left the ship. We were pleasantly surprised with the WOW bands though. We didn't think we would end up using them. We ended up using them every day and found them very convenient.

You and I have the same "type" of women in our lives. If I ever get a Wow Band Lisa would say I kept it for cruise "geekdom" aspects. Courtney might just say the same about you. ;)

You and I have the same "type" of women in our lives. If I ever get a Wow Band Lisa would say I kept it for cruise "geekdom" aspects. Courtney might just say the same about you. ;)

Absolutely! Just like how she always calls me a dork for being on Cruise Critic 25 hours a day.

By the way, my old Quantum WOW band is now wrapped around a bunch of my old sea pass cards.

Haha! Good point.

I not only kept mine as a souvenir but wore it to work when I returned so I could look down at it and keep that good cruise feeling a little longer. :)

Mine's black, it probably looks like a Fitbit to some, except is has a muster station! :p

"Alternatively, WOWbands are available for purchase from Guest Services. These can conveniently acts as your SeaPass while onboard. For more information about the WOWbands, visit guest services once onboard."

Our Set Sail Pass has changed and now shows the above after a vacation (maintenance) break earlier today, so I'm guessing someone at RCI finally got around to reading this thread. :rolleyes:.

I not only kept mine as a souvenir but wore it to work when I returned so I could look down at it and keep that good cruise feeling a little longer. :)

Mine's black, it probably looks like a Fitbit to some, except is has a muster station! :p

Lol. Very nice. He is the current state of my old Quantum WOW band:

5B477532-BE3B-4852-AAD9-AB4F3F6D50D1_zpszpvsivv8.jpg

I must agree these can serve as a very nice and strong ship's card holder but I wouldn't rate this as one of the more technical use for the WOW bands. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=369140&d=1448043750

PB200787.jpg.8c8846d9d180123fbff39934d5167714.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

"Alternatively, WOWbands are available for purchase from Guest Services. These can conveniently acts as your SeaPass while onboard. For more information about the WOWbands, visit guest services once onboard."

As I've noted elsewhere, GS was mobbed for the first few days of our cruise. So just what RCI needs -- yet more people on line there. If RCI is going to charge for the bands, why not make them for sale via Cruise Planner and have them waiting in your cabin as they are now? (As well as available for purchase on board.)

And for those who have already made final payment, I think this is a terrible way to be treated.

Absolutely! Just like how she always calls me a dork for being on Cruise Critic 25 hours a day.

By the way, my old Quantum WOW band is now wrapped around a bunch of my old sea pass cards.

5B477532-BE3B-4852-AAD9-AB4F3F6D50D1_zpszpvsivv8.jpg

Yup, full dorkdom. Now I have the perfect excuse to sail on the Quantum class. That zip lock bag of old cruise cards, wrapped with a heavy rubber band just doesn't do it anymore.

Yup, full dorkdom. Now I have the perfect excuse to sail on the Quantum class. That zip lock bag of old cruise cards, wrapped with a heavy rubber band just doesn't do it anymore.

I bet they have them on the Harmony so you can probably pick one up next year! And who knows, maybe they will be free again by then. Ok, maybe not.

Having received one of the last "free" WOW bands (we were on the TA, the last saiing before they started to charge for them), I feel as though I should mount mine in a display case. :p

Ebay! :p

This is an amusing story but are you really saying that prices in the on-board jewelry shops are negotiable?

Well, I have limited experience (i'm not really a jewelry gal, and what i do have tends to be on the more casual, bought-it-at-a-craft-show side, except for my fancy formal night jewelry which we bought at a local jewelry store we trust), but twice on ships i've gone into the more upscale jewelry shops with friends and both times the sales clerks have magically dropped prices when it appeared we weren't interested. The first time was a friend looking at diamond earrings on the norwegian gem; the second was this time on the quantum. and on a recent disney cruise, a salesclerk noticed my watch (a movado, so reasonably nice, though not uber-fancy), and tried to get me to buy a couple of some watch brand they were featuring, and said she'd give me the second one cheaper if i bought two (i didn't buy any - they weren't really my style). so i'd say, yes, in my limited experience, the prices seem to be negotiable. just don't wear your gold wow band. :D

I bet they have them on the Harmony so you can probably pick one up next year! And who knows, maybe they will be free again by then. Ok, maybe not.

Or "free" to those in suites on Harmony. ;)

It would be a perfect excuse to sail on Anthem.

Our Set Sail Pass has changed and now shows the above after a vacation (maintenance) break earlier today, so I'm guessing someone at RCI finally got around to reading this thread. :rolleyes:.

So much for it just being a test!

It makes no sense for them to not expand the technology because people aren't using the WOWbands. From what I remember the only way to read the SeaPass cards on Quantum was via RFID, staff couldnt swipe them like on other ships, so the WOWband is literally a SeaPass card, theres no different technology.

They wouldn't need 2 different portable ordering machines because they both use the same.

Maybe in the theatre give seating numbers, have one member of staff take the orders using a machine, and another one then bring the drinks to the seats listed on the receipt sent to the bar (a lot of restaurants already have systems like this), not only does it make drink orders more efficient, it would also mean more people can have orders at the same time bringing in more $$

OP returning as an absolutely fabulous 12-night cruise on Anthem comes to a close. I did not end up purchasing a WOW band, mostly out of principle, and I'm glad I did not as they seemed absolutely pointless. Seeing everyone have to take them off their wrists and hand them over to bartenders, just like I did my card, sealed the deal for me. I would have given it a shot if it were free, but absent any further investment by RCI to better utilize the technology I highly recommend that nobody purchase a WOW band on Anthem.

Now, off to sleep. Sadly disembarking in the morning!

So much for it just being a test!

Ok $5 is not an issue to me - but having to go to guest services to get it would be - lines can be very long. Why not provide them and then if used add the charge - if not used then no charge.

But please do not make me go to guest services. I agree that not having them will not affect my cruise and will not make the ship less WoW - but it does seem odd since I lot of press on this class of ship focused on the WoW band and High Speed Internet.

Wonder what the real reason for backing away from them. I assume they cost money and take human labor to provide and setup. So I get charging $5 So $5 x 4000 guests is $20,000 bucks a cruise if everyone used them. I am guess with guest services involved the number will be lower unless they have stations set up just for the WoW band.

Ok $5 is not an issue to me - but having to go to guest services to get it would be - lines can be very long. Why not provide them and then if used add the charge - if not used then no charge.

But please do not make me go to guest services. I agree that not having them will not affect my cruise and will not make the ship less WoW - but it does seem odd since I lot of press on this class of ship focused on the WoW band and High Speed Internet.

Wonder what the real reason for backing away from them. I assume they cost money and take human labor to provide and setup. So I get charging $5 So $5 x 4000 guests is $20,000 bucks a cruise if everyone used them. I am guess with guest services involved the number will be lower unless they have stations set up just for the WoW band.

Going to guest services isn't exactly how they did it. There was a table set up across from guest services in the corridor that was selling them... So assuming they stick with that plan, you won't have to actually wait on the guest services line.

I'm going to guess that many passengers were not using them, which equates to lots of wasted WOWbands and $$$. Not sure why they couldn't just offer them free for everyone, but require you to pick them up somewhere, and thus weeding out those that won't use them. Maybe there are other reasons.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser