Where in Caribbean for HOT weather January

tricializ

Hi all:

I have decided to book a cruise in January (mid) and am feeling overwhelmed with where to go. I have done Southern, Western and Eastern before and loved them all. But one cruise I did where I went in February was pretty cold until we got past the Bahamas. I am from Omaha and need to warm up so I was thinking just fly south and do another Southern. But there seem to be so many more Western itineraries and it makes me wonder if that might be better? (I think the one I did Western on Disney years ago was in January) I know they are all warm weather destinations, but I want HOT. LOL So, any thoughts? Also any specific cruise lines you like or hated or itineraries. I don't love the idea of Mexico, Haiti etc. but it would be ok, I guess for a stop And I don't love Key West. I want beaches and Key West is not beach. Thanks so much.

Hi all:

I have decided to book a cruise in January (mid) and am feeling overwhelmed with where to go. I have done Southern, Western and Eastern before and loved them all. But one cruise I did where I went in February was pretty cold until we got past the Bahamas. I am from Omaha and need to warm up so I was thinking just fly south and do another Southern. But there seem to be so many more Western itineraries and it makes me wonder if that might be better? (I think the one I did Western on Disney years ago was in January) I know they are all warm weather destinations, but I want HOT. LOL So, any thoughts? Also any specific cruise lines you like or hated or itineraries. I don't love the idea of Mexico, Haiti etc. but it would be ok, I guess for a stop And I don't love Key West. I want beaches and Key West is not beach. Thanks so much.

Omaha? Head to the South Pacific.

Hi all:

If you are talking about a Caribbean cruise, it will be hot anywhere in the Caribbean -- but you should not expect Caribbean weather until you actually get there. The Bahamas can be cool to cold - and so can be the first and last days on a Caribbean cruise from New York - which really has to be at least ten days to get much time in the Caribbean. It sounds like you want an Eastern or Southern Caribbean itinerary - which you can get from Fort Lauderdale or Miami on a number of lines. To maximize the warmth, you might consider a Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan, Puerto Rico - giving yourself a couple of days in San Juan pre-cruise. Most eastern and southern Caribbean islands have lots of great beaches.

We always cruise in January as our winter get away. But have found that the Bahamas can be quite chilly at times, so we avoid the routes that have the Bahamas. Otherwise we have had great weather wherever we have been. This year we are doing the Southern Caribbean and are oh so looking forward to it!

Once past the Bahamas and into the Caribbean it's quite warm.

Taking a DEEP southern to the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) is hot year around.

Another option is to take a partial Panama Canal cruise which is mostly Caribbean port stops. Cartagena, Colombia is so HOT! :eek:

LuLu

Bermuda and Bahamas are NOT "Caribbean" countries, even tho the cruise lines will bill them as such. They are in the Atlantic Ocean, and are affected by US weather systems.....if it's cold in Florida, it will be cool there, too!

Once you get INTO the Caribbean Sea, you will have beautiful, warm/hot weather year round.

We did three cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale in January 2015. First was Western, next two were Southern.

We wanted to have HOT TROPICAL weather ... Ft. Lauderdale was cool & rainy this year when we were there, so that was disappointing. In previous years, most of the time it has been hot for us ... this time we were in Ft. Lauderdale before, between and after our cruises, and it never got hot.

The western cruise went as far as Cozumel, and it never got really hot. Pleasant, yes. Sunny, yes. Hot ... no.

The two southern cruises did not get HOT until we were south of Puerto Rico.

This coming January - we are cruising out of San Juan and headed south. We don't want warm ... we want to step off the aircraft and onto the jetway and feel that tropical heat!! and keep on feeling it until it's time to go home in March.

Edited by Lady Chew

We did three cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale in January 2015. First was Western, next two were Southern.

We wanted to have HOT TROPICAL weather ... Ft. Lauderdale was cool & rainy this year when we were there, so that was disappointing. In previous years, most of the time it has been hot for us ... this time we were in Ft. Lauderdale before, between and after our cruises, and it never got hot.

The two southern cruises did not get HOT until we were south of Puerto Rico.

If you are talking about the Caribbean you should know that you are not in the Caribbean until you are south of Puerto Rico - which separates the Caribbean from the Atlantic Ocean - and that San Juan is on the Atlantic, not the Caribbean, side.

Have done 4 December cruises to the Caribbean (3 Eastern, 1 Southern) & it was always 75-85 everywhere...pretty much the temp in the Caribbean all year round...guess I cannot comment on Western at that time of year (which would include Cozumel)

I do recommend Southern as those are my favorite ports ever!

I have to laugh a bit--we are from Nebraska, too. Considering what the temps will be in Nebraska in January, anything over 70 will be HOT!

Edited by KKB

Thanks everybody.

That confirms it for me. I have loved the 2 Southern Caribbean trips I have had (one on Carnival and one on Royal Caribbean). It's just sort of a pain to fly to San Juan but I am no convinced that it makes the most sense. Fly to where it's already warm and continue to soak up that sun and heat for a good long week. :) Thank you.