Not sure what to wear for formal night dress for up and coming cruise.

dx052

Going on cruise next week for 11 nights which includes two formal nights, obviously with the new changes next month I don' t really want stand like a sore thumb because everybody has started already dressing differently and not many people wearing tuxes. If I would have know this was going to happen I would have bought a different kind of suit for the trip. It's just hard to gauge how many people will still dress formal.

Going on cruise next week for 11 nights which includes two formal nights, obviously with the new changes next month I don' t really want stand like a sore thumb because everybody has started already dressing differently and not many people wearing tuxes. If I would have know this was going to happen I would have bought a different kind of suit for the trip. It's just hard to gauge how many people will still dress formal.

Even if you are the only one on the ship wearing a tux (which I HIGHLY doubt you would be), you certainly won't stand out like a sore thumb. You'll shine like a star. :)

Great question!

Until there are folks returning from 2-3-4 sailings and posting, there is truly no way to know.

But I for the first time since 1987, I am not taking a jacket, nor the wifester a cocktail dress. We are booked in Aqua and have BLU as our dinning room that has always been excluded from the requirements of the MDR.

Edited by wallie5446

The Caribbean cruises have always tended to be more casual, Europe cruises more dressy. We are also going on a Thanksgiving Holiday Cruise which would require a sports jacket for the men in the MDR on formal nights. After the announcement about the new Evening Chic ( whatever that is) starts in December for formal nights I bet most people on our cruise will start the relaxed attire earlier. Wear what makes you feel good, you are on vacation, enjoy :)

Most people on the ship will not be aware of the upcoming changes. Not everyone follows the latest news about cruise lines like CC members do. The vast majority will only know what they have read in the cruise docs they received weeks ago (IF they have even read it), and that information does not even hint at the changes.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Let's be honest, what changed in the new policy besides the name?

Formal night only required a jacket for men no tux or tie, it even allowed jeans with no rips or holes. The only thing was a jacket was the unique thing needed at night.

So now they have said, OK fine no jacket needed, just look nice.

I'm still taking my tux and dinner jacket for "Chic" night on my upcoming sailings.

Most people on the ship will not be aware of the upcoming changes. Not everyone follows the latest news about cruise lines like CC members do. The vast majority will only know what they have read in the cruise docs they received weeks ago (IF they have even read it), and that information does not even hint at the changes.

Except for the mass blast email about the change, that went out to everyone that has their email in their 'My Celebrity" profile with Celebrity. Even people without a cruise booked in 2 of the FB groups I am in got the email.

It is not just a CC bit of info.

Its very clear from my last Celebrity Cruise (disembarked Nov 9) that literally anything goes nowadays. Even on formal night in the MDR, I witnessed T. shirts, polo shirts, jeans and a huge per centage of gentleman wore neither ties, bow ties or indeed a jacket. No-one enforced anything. The formal evening as we know it is dead and buried and it will be interesting to see what and how 'evening chic' attire turns out.

Its very clear from my last Celebrity Cruise (disembarked Nov 9) that literally anything goes nowadays. Even on formal night in the MDR, I witnessed T. shirts, polo shirts, jeans and a huge per centage of gentleman wore neither ties, bow ties or indeed a jacket. No-one enforced anything. The formal evening as we know it is dead and buried and it will be interesting to see what and how 'evening chic' attire turns out.

Really it will be more casual than it is now! Just think now you won't have to go to Blu or Specialty Restaurants on Formal Nights to dress casual. LOL That will save us all some extra money.

Edited by Oxo

Really it will be more casual than it is now! Just think now you won't have to go to Blu or Specialty Restaurants on Formal Nights to dress casual. LOL That will save us all some extra money.

Except I've already bought formal wear in the sales for my next cruise!

Except I've already bought formal wear in the sales for my next cruise!

We will still dress formal. Where else does one dress up now? Hubby wears a tux and I wear gowns. We have them and will continue to wear them. Maybe some day we will wear our scrubs.

We are leaving this p.m. for our cruise beginning Monday. We discussed leaving the suit at home, but DH feels more comfortable taking it with us. I doubt we'll be the only ones dressed up.

Eclipse? If so, no we will also dress up, too,.

Except for the mass blast email about the change, that went out to everyone that has their email in their 'My Celebrity" profile with Celebrity. Even people without a cruise booked in 2 of the FB groups I am in got the email.

My email is on my profile, I have signed up for promotional emails but didn't get the email about the dress code change. I rarely get emails from Celebrity; a little disturbing with the new upgrade process:eek:

Celebrity certainly has my email, but I've received no notification at all about the change.

Please don't give it a second thought.

If you want to dress formally, dress formally, and if you don't, then don't.

It should not matter in the slightest how many others dress formally.

As you know, those who dress formally on Celebrity cruises are already in the minority, but there will still be some who do. You can confirm that just by reading the posts here, so you certainly would not be alone if you choose to dress up.

Believe me, nobody else will care in the slightest whether or not you dress formally. (You will probably just receive more compliments if you do. :) )

Recalling the old saying: 'You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do. ' :D

Wear what makes you happy.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise, whatever you decide to wear.

I did not get the email. Neither did the couple we usually cruise with. Neither of us have an upcoming cruise booked, though - our last was in February.

Clearly from the comments posted here, there was no "mass blast email" about the change. Emails most likely went out to those who are affected by the change, and only if they signed up for notifications.

I didn't get an email either. We cruise on the 5th Dec. We have our formal all sorted so not enough time to go shopping for evening chic. My DH will still wear his tux. My DD and myself will both wear long gowns on the first formal.

I didn't get an email either. We cruise on the 5th Dec. We have our formal all sorted so not enough time to go shopping for evening chic. My DH will still wear his tux. My DD and myself will both wear long gowns on the first formal.

We'll be right there with you :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Do dress the way you want to dress for dinner. It will encourage others who are even more shy than you and more desirous of not drawing attention. I for one loved it when men showed up in formal kilts, tuxedos, and dinner jackets and when women were truly dressed to the nines. I will miss this little fashion show but I think I will continue to dress up on the "chic" nights just because I want to, so I hope you will be on a cruise with us someday.

As someone said, the Caribbean cruises tend to be less formal, which is why I prefer European cruises, especially embarking from Southampton - plus you get a kettle in the room ;).

Enjoy your travels.

Beth

Just a question. Is evening chic the dress code for every night or is it the dress code for what used to be formal nights? If evening chic is just for ex-formal nights, then what will the other nights be...super casual? I really don't have a clue about this.

No change, still smart casual. In our opinion, little difference, but the cruise line considers chic nights special I guess.

Happy sailing,

Jenna