Mariner Status on Holland America

lcimba

Those are the rules. They are not kept secret and the information is easily available.

Sorry you have to wait for the next cruise but life is full of disappointments. I sincerely hope this is one of the worst you experience.

In the meantime it sounds like you are on a fabulous trip, seeing amazing things. Forget about the minor snag and enjoy yourself. To fret about this the rest of your trip sounds like such a waste. :)

About getting the pins on board instead of being mailed to you -- I asked the Mariner Society about that (among some other details of my account) and just received this reply:

"Also, please note pins are presented on the ship they are no longer mailed to guest. You will receive recognition pins when you cross over to the next level onboard the cruise."

Dave

We just returned from 26 days on Zuiderdam and hit the 3* level early in the cruise but never expected it to matter till our next cruise.We have never received a pin for any level we have achieved and have never missed them.

I didn't notice anybody say this was a Grand Voyage. People said that if you are on a Grand Voyage, or a World Cruise, you can get your new benefits during the cruise.

Post 1 says a lower level Mariner's person says "this is a Grand cruise with segments....", as noted by cruz chic above. Thanks, CC!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Mariner Status on Holland America

Cruisers on HAL should be aware of HAL’s callous attitude towards guests who reach the next highest Mariner star level while on a cruise. They will not be able to enjoy the higher level Mariner status until sailing on the next cruise. For example, if a guest is a 2 star Mariner on a 20 day cruise and reaches 3 star level 4 days into the cruise, that guest will not be allowed to enjoy the higher level perks for the remaining 16 days of the cruise and must wait until sailing on another cruise after the current one to enjoy the higher Mariner star level.

I was very interested in booking HAL’s 89 day cruise on the Rotterdam to the Far East starting on Jan 8, 2016, from London-Singapore-London. I am currently a 2 star Mariner with 59 days credit. 3 star Mariner level starts at 75 days. With onboard spending credits, I would probably reach 3 star level at day 13, and here is where an issue began. I called HAL and was told that I would not be able to use the 3 star perks until the next cruise after this one, which means that I would reach 3 star Mariner level at about day 13 and will not be able to use 3 star perks for the remaining 76 days of the cruise. I told the Hal person on the phone that this policy is cheap and insulting, so she referred me to the President’s Office of Guest Services, which said there is nothing they can do and transferred me to the Mariners office. A lower level person at the Mariners Office relayed comments to me from higher level people who did not do me the courtesy of speaking to me themselves. He said this is a Grand Cruise with segments, the first of which ends in Dubai on day 23. I could start using the 3 star perks then, but it would be incumbent on me to go the customer service desk and request that they give me the 3 star status (there was some question as to whether the ship has to grant it.). This means that I would be denied 3 star status for 10 days after achieving it until the next segment starts. They said that granting guests the next level Mariner status at the time they achieve it would be a record keeping problem (a lame excuse in the computer age), it wouldn’t be fair to other guests who have been denied the next Mariner level (why keep perpetuating an injustice just because they have done it in the past?), and some blathering about brand loyalty. I told them their policy is cheap, niggling and petty. It is insulting and does nothing to promote brand loyalty. Rather, it promotes brand hatred! The Mariner office then relented slightly and said if I book the cruise, they would “consider” giving me the 3 star status on the day that I achieve it, but they might not do so. I’m not going to spend $20,000 to $25,000 on a cruise where HAL may consider giving me the 3 star status on the day that I achieve it, but they may not grant it. The issue here is only 10 days and a couple of discounts at a specialty restaurant, but it is a matter of principle. One should not go through such a demeaning experience when attempting to spend so much money. Apparently HAL would rather lose customers and create ill will rather than change a stone age policy. There are other cruise lines!

So....just why are you going on this lovely exciting sounding cruise? For the Mariner's Points??? If you can afford such an expensive Cruise, does it really matter when you get to use the perks for the next Mariner level? Surely you can afford to pay for them and wait for your next Cruise for your level to change?

I agree that almost all other loyalty programs operate like HAL does in this regard.

Further, I think that it would be difficult for HAL to keep up with everything, especially the points due to spending onboard, during a cruise. The onboard spending days/points really cannot be calculated until the final bill is processed. IMO, it would be quite a hassle for them to do as the OP suggests.

Edited by DaveOKC

Did you get the pins on the cruise or after you got home? (We are 2 days from 4! ) :)

We got the pins on the cruise along with a very nice card which made it clear our benefits would begin on our NEXT cruise.:)

Edited by Lizzie68

As others have said, this has been in the rules since the inception of the "Star Mariner" program on HAL, & has been discussed many times on Cruise Critic.. Most Star Mariners are aware of the rules..

If it is not a Grand Cruise, then you will not get the benefit of three stars.. Also wonder how many other companies offer credits or on board spending like HAL does?

If this is so important to you, then suggest you book with a line which will be willing to change your status in the middle of the cruise (if you can find one) ..

IMO taking a longer cruise like this would be much more exciting for me..:) Cant imagine any one being upset about this rule.. It would be an impossible bookkeeping nightmare..

Edited by serendipity1499

We are 4-star Mariners as of 5 days into our 26 day TA from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale. We received kaka. Not even a crummy fruit basket !!

We have been Mariners way back when HAL was independent. During those times, even during regular cruises (non Grand or World), the day we moved to the next level, we would receive our new pins on our bed that evening, along with a nice note & gift from the captain. After the "Carnivalization" of HAL, we are 4-star Mariners and didn't even know it until we started counting the days and credits. Thanks Carnival for cheapening a previously wonderful cruise line. But, it's all the bottom line now. We're not looking for the benefits, that's no big deal in the grand scheme of things, but just a little recognition for spending thousands of $$$ on a single company would be nice. With today's computer systems, it would be an easy thing to track a guest's Mariner status, and a simple "Thank You" from the captain would go a long way.

Edited by TAD2005

We are 4-star Mariners as of 5 days into our 26 day TA from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale. We received kaka. Not even a crummy fruit basket !!

We have been Mariners way back when HAL was independent. During those times, even during regular cruises (non Grand or World), the day we moved to the next level, we would receive our new pins on our bed that evening, along with a nice note & gift from the captain. After the "Carnivalization" of HAL, we are 4-star Mariners and didn't even know it until we started counting the days and credits. Thanks Carnival for cheapening a previously wonderful cruise line. But, it's all the bottom line now. We're not looking for the benefits, that's no big deal in the grand scheme of things, but just a little recognition for spending thousands of $$$ on a single company would be nice. With today's computer systems, it would be an easy thing to track a guest's Mariner status, and a simple "Thank You" from the captain would go a long way.

A fruit basket? Didn't you have one in your room that was replenished as you ate it? I don't understand the fuss about pins and medals. That last thing I need is more clutter. There are many Mariners. I'd rather the captain be attending to ship issues then having a one on one with me.

Had Carnival not purchased HAL more than 20 years ago, there likely would not be HAL today. :)

I agree & the Star Mariner program wasn't even in effect 26years ago, when Carnival rescued HAL.. Therefore, I have to wonder what kind of pins TAD the poster you are responding to, is talking about.. If it's the Bronze, Silver, Gold, pins which he is referring to, that is another story completely..In those times it was very easy to determine who got which pin..

It's not the same with the Star Mariner Program which is much more recent & was started way after Carnival rescued HAL.. In addition the Star Mariner program takes into consideration what your total spending is for the entire cruise, which was never done before.. As I said before that would be an accounting nightmare if the ship had to determine who was entitled to which discounts for hundreds if not thousands of Passengers...

I see nothing wrong with the way this program is being handled by HAL.. And I certainly don't need a fruit basket or a pat on the back to thank me for my business.. All I wish for is good service & good food on a cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

From the HAL website's Mariner FAQ page:

16. If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.
Edited by Boytjie

A fruit basket? Didn't you have one in your room that was replenished as you ate it? I don't understand the fuss about pins and medals. That last thing I need is more clutter. There are many Mariners. I'd rather the captain be attending to ship issues then having a one on one with me.

Totally agree! If anyone feels left out about their pins, just let me know as I have a full set of pins which have not left the drawer in years! It is not like they are fashion statements.

We will never get our pins and medallions now; if we have to depend on the ship to provide us with them. HAL Mariners Society has won't help us now. We will have go be bring our own eating utensils and towels and soap in the not too distant future if the cheapskates managing CCL have their way.

Fruit basket? I NEVER ever saw a fruit basket, Hoi polio don't get them.

We will never get our pins and medallions now; if we have to depend on the ship to provide us with them. HAL Mariners Society has won't help us now. We will have go be bring our own eating utensils and towels and soap in the not too distant future if the cheapskates managing CCL have their way.

We have had a fruit basket in every dam ship we have been on (balconies and obstructed view).

Everyone gets a fruit basket, if they want it. You might try reading the papers in your cabin.

Everyone gets a fruit basket, if they want it. You might try reading the papers in your cabin.

Right, it's now by request.

I think that's a good idea. There was probably a lot of waste when the fruit was in every cabin. We would eat some things in the basket, but not everything. We never bothered to request fruit on our last cruise, and I didn't miss it. Plenty of fruit in the Lido and I can choose what I want.

I don't look at reducing waste as "going cheap." It's practical, and I don't have to look at a sad, unwanted pear for days. (We don't like pears, WHY are there always pears??? :rolleyes:)

I think that's a good idea. There was probably a lot of waste when the fruit was in every cabin. We would eat some things in the basket, but not everything. We never bothered to request fruit on our last cruise, and I didn't miss it. Plenty of fruit in the Lido and I can choose what I want.

I don't look at reducing waste as "going cheap." It's practical, and I don't have to look at a sad, unwanted pear for days. (We don't like pears, WHY are there always pears??? :rolleyes:)

As long as I've been sailing Hal you always had to fill out the card. The only time it appears automatically is when you're in a suite, Neptune I believe.

Easiest way is to start of fruit in every cabin. If the passenger is eating then the steward can say, "Would you like more? Or a different fruit?". "Yes please, but no pears. More chocolate covered strawberries would be nice!"

I swear... I have NEVER eaten chocolate strawberries. Yuk! One even I tried one! Holy Cow! The chocolate was fine but the strawberries was large and perfectly ripe and sweet! Now I was read for the champagne!

But back to the fruit. Don't waste it. Even you have said no, you can still call Room Service and ask for some.... in a few minutes.

As long as I've been sailing Hal you always had to fill out the card. The only time it appears automatically is when you're in a suite, Neptune I believe.

I seem to alternate between Neptunes on Vistas and OV or veranda on other ships, so I can't remember when I've been given fruit and when I haven't. It isn't an amenity that I care about, so it doesn't register. There's so much "first day" paper, that some people probably don't notice the card.

Easiest way is to start of fruit in every cabin. If the passenger is eating then the steward can say, "Would you like more? Or a different fruit?". "Yes please, but no pears. More chocolate covered strawberries would be nice!"

I swear... I have NEVER eaten chocolate strawberries. Yuk! One even I tried one! Holy Cow! The chocolate was fine but the strawberries was large and perfectly ripe and sweet! Now I was read for the champagne!

But back to the fruit. Don't waste it. Even you have said no, you can still call Room Service and ask for some.... in a few minutes.

Oh, if only chocolate covered strawberries were on the list! Darn it, not you've got me craving them, and it will be at least a month until the good ones show up in the markets.