What is the First Thing You Do when You Board the Ship?

Boiler Cruiser

Just a quick, and perhaps fun question...

When you first board the ship for your cruise, what is the first thing you do? Do you have any rituals you adhere to?

For me...as soon as I make my way to my stateroom and drop off my carry ons, I call to make specialty restaurant reservations for the cruise. I then go on a self-guided tour (exploration) of the ship.

How about you?

I check if the ship is in good shape!

Same as others, head to cabin to see if luggage has been delivered and drop off carry ons. Then off to the lido for lunch....never went to the MDR, will check this out next cruise. Then wait for muster and off to claim a spot near the ship sign for a sail-a-way wave.

My ritual is:

1. drop the carry on

2. use the facilities to make sure all works

3. put the needed stuff into the safe

4. go to the Lido for lunch as the chaos is great people watching

5. smile continuously

That's exactly our ritual too.

Mah Jong on the ship? Tell me more? Should I bring my card? Do they play for money?
there is usually a sign up sheet at the library desk. Some play for money but most just to kill time. We are on Euro Feb 7-21, Veendam Apr 24 and Kdam Nov 13-to Dec 3. Edited by SeaBands

If the cabins are ready, we drop off our carry-on stuff. Go to the MDR for lunch. Go back to the cabin and check any paperwork on the desk. If our checked bags have been delivered we make sure they are ours, and then say "we'll unpack later" :D Off to the aft deck for a while before muster drill.

If our cabins are ready, I drop my carry-on and then head out to explore the ship and take pictures of everywhere, because all the areas of the ship are usually accessible on embarkation day and I like to get pictures of everything. Then I meet up with the rest of my party on the Lido and have lunch.

If the cabins aren't ready, we station someone at a table in the Lido and trade off exploring the ship until the rooms are ready.

After lunch, if there's time, I'll have a nap & shower before Lifeboat drill and unpack my luggage if it's arrived.

Well, I guess we can be doing the same thing November next year in the KODM. Crow's Nest or Mix? :D

Ha! If you join us we'll postpone the activities until later and have a guided art tour instead - both are exciting just in different ways. :)

We go to our room and drop off our things, and then do a top to bottom walk through. Even though we've been on all the ships before, this is our walking ritual, exporing this ship, looking for crew we recognize or any changes. We'll take the elevators up to the Crow's Nest, and then weave our way deck to deck, top to bottom.

Once we do our walk through, we'll check on our dinner assignemnt and table, and make any changes to that if necessary. We also sign up for the thermal suite. We always come into town at least the night before, and have a leisurely breakfast so dont feel the need to rush to find food. After we do these things, we'll grab a bite in the Lido.

We've always been lucky with our luggage arriving quickly, so by this time we typically have things to unpack. My husband and I travel so well together, whether on a ship or in a hotel, we have an unpacking system that works for us. Everything in its place, a place for everything...we are such creatures of habit. We do like to put on music in our room, and travel with one of those Bose portable wireless speakers. We'll listen to some tropical music, and then end up falling asleep....right about the time the drill announcements start!

After the drill, it's definitely a nap, then shower and cocktails in the Ocean Bar before dinner.

Imagining all this is making me excited for our upcoming cruise next month!

I love the excitement of boarding a ship, the newness of having so many days ahead to enjoy the cruise. Nothing like sitting down for that first Fresh Grapefruit Cosmo, knowing there are 10-14 more days of that to come.

bingo-- that's exactly what I do--- but I do get in trouble with the family im with--they say I left them alone--- wellll deal with it :)

Yes, whenever I get on the ship, first go check the room, then go have lunch, then explore the ship, have one of them sailaway drinks. Have a few questions to those who've sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam, will be on the round trip cruise to Alaska from Vancouver, next June, have always sailed on Rcl & Princess, this will be the first time on Holland America. Do the room stewards do towel art every night, is the naturalist on board, a bridge tour that one can sign up for, will be on deck 6, does anyone know what the daily activities sheet is called, is there during the cruise, a galley tour? Will be going that is if the good Lord is willing and creeks don't rise.

Virginia

Have a few questions to those who've sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam, will be on the round trip cruise to Alaska from Vancouver, next June, have always sailed on Rcl & Princess, this will be the first time on Holland America. Do the room stewards do towel art every night, is the naturalist on board, a bridge tour that one can sign up for, will be on deck 6, does anyone know what the daily activities sheet is called, is there during the cruise, a galley tour? Will be going that is if the good Lord is willing and creeks don't rise.

Virginia

Not only are there towel animals left most nights (first night may not have one), but my recent trans-At had an invasion of towel animals around the Lido pool near the end of the cruise. There was even a crocodile!

There should be a naturalist on board for an Alaska cruise. HAL has had one on those itineraries as long as I've been around.

There may be a tour of the ship for which there is a charge. The bridge is included in that tour.

A galley tour is standard on every cruise; there is no charge for that one.

The daily program is called On Location.

I think that answers all your questions.

Can someone please explain the how to's about signing up for this tour and any details about it that they can share? It sounds perfect for my dh and fil.

"booking the Behind the Scene's ship tour"

Thanks!

It isn't always offered, and it's expensive. We did it on Zuiderdam and loved it. It's about 3 hours of walking, and they give you a goodie bag. We got cookbook, some cordial glasses, and other stuff.

On embarkation day, go to the front desk and ask about it. Sometimes it's in the "On Location," but sometimes it isn't announced at all and you have to know. THANK YOU CRUISE CRITIC! Because without reading about it here, I might not have noticed the little blurb in the On Location.

I always anticipate the first "ding" of the cruise card as I board the ship. That sound is the most welcoming sound ever. After that we find our cabin and just breathe because we are CRUISING AGAIN. [emoji160][emoji151][emoji483]

Not only are there towel animals left most nights (first night may not have one), but my recent trans-At had an invasion of towel animals around the Lido pool near the end of the cruise. There was even a crocodile!

There should be a naturalist on board for an Alaska cruise. HAL has had one on those itineraries as long as I've been around.

There may be a tour of the ship for which there is a charge. The bridge is included in that tour.

A galley tour is standard on every cruise; there is no charge for that one.

The daily program is called On Location.

I think that answers all your questions.

Hi Ruth C, thanks for answering. June is still so far away, sure can't wait to go.

Virginia