A Little Worried, my Mom says....

esdoorn

Nassau sucks, whether on Carnival, Celebrity or any other cruise line. [emoji6]
The biggest problem with Nassau (or Freeport or Cape Canaveral ), is its familiarity . Experienced cruisers have had the opportunity to visit many many times . The question is did it suck the first time you visited Nassau ? I have visited 3 times and can't say it sucks although I'd prefer other ports .

Go with your expectations in mind and you will have a great time. Carnival fits our budge and needs. I'd rather cruise multiple times a year and do without all the fancy extras that don't enhance my overall experience.

Tapi, ever go to Cable Beach in Nassau?

Thanks. Yes. I actually get to stay at the Melia in Cable Beach frequently because of work, and I do agree that it's a much more relaxed and enjoyable setting than Downtown and Paradise Island. But I think that my dissatisfaction, along with that of others, doesn't stem as much from what Nassau actually has to offer, but with the cruise line's obsession to throw it in so many itineraries. On short itineraries from Florida, I understand. On longer itineraries it's insulting. I refuse to book 7 night cruises that stop there, no matter how awesome the ship is.

......that my wife and I will be very sorry to have booked a Carnival Cruise. She said that Carnival will be filled with loud drunks, the food will suck and why didn't I take her advice and book with Celebrity.

Is there that big of a difference between Carnival and Celebrity?

Our hope is for a decent room, decent food, nice staff and enjoy our ports of Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. The major reason for booking with Carnival is it fit our holiday schedule the best.

Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are highly rated ports. Try to book a cabana on the beach excursion for HMC if you can. They sell out way in advance, so don't wait. HMC has been voted best private island many times, and it is owned by Carnival Corporation.

You'll have a great time on Carnival. No worries. Be sure to try the sea day brunch.

Check out this post to learn about Carnival staff and how amazing they are:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2155601&page=8

Best wishes for a great cruise with your DW!

You could be very disappointed, or pleasantly surprised, just like someone trying a Holiday Inn for the first time, that usually goes Marriott. We stay at both hotel chains, and sail both cruise lines.

Carnival is for the young, and young at heart. That's probably the biggest difference to the country club atmosphere on Celebrity. People are outgoing, fun, and like Celebrity, relaxed. You'll see more drunks in early January, Spring Break, and shorter summer cruises. We try to sail Carnival in February, April, and the Fall.

The service and food (at least MDR dinners), are surprisingly good for the price point.

Although you ask for opinions on this board, everyone will give you just that. But opinions are all biased based upon one's likes and dislikes. On this thread, the consensus is that Carnival is just as good (or at least a better bang for the money), however, if you ask this same question on the Celebrity boards, you will receive more comments that "you get what you paid for."

The only way you will know for sure is if you try it yourself, and go into it with eyes wide open, and with any experience don't sweat the small stuff - you are on vacation, have fun.

You can read my recent review of my last Carnival cruise (see below), in which I compare it against Royal Caribbean, but remember that it is my opinion (I may like/dislike different things than you), and RCI does have some differences (from what I am told) to its big sister Celebrity.

One of my past cruises went through a hurricane (literally), and my DW and I still enjoyed ourselves. If you have an open mind, and make the best of whatever situation you are in, you will enjoy the cruise vacation, regardless of what line you chose. After experiencing Carnival, you can then make up your mind as to whether it was "worth it" or not, and you can chose accordingly for your next cruise.

I believe that there is no such thing as a bad cruise, but some cruises are better than others; however you will never know which lines/ships you like until you them try them for yourself.

The one difference I have notice about Carnival is within the line itself: the shorter the cruise, the more likely to have a party vibe. On our 4 day a while back, the neighbors had the door cracked and the "naughty" police sitting outside one morning; guess the marriage proposal to end the fight at 8 pm turned into too much celebration. And on that same cruise, a whole family reunion decided that they would pull their chairs and footstools into the hall and drink and laugh and hoot and hollar. At 11:30 pm, when I was ready to go to sleep, they still hadn't quit. But a call to the desk silenced them and either sent them to their rooms or to a bar - where they should have been in the first place. My hubby and I have agreed that until the kids are adults, we would not take them on a short cruise. It does have a more rowdy feel. We have had zero issue on any of our 7 day cruises.

I have cruised Carnival the most, Princess twice and Royal once. Carnival does have the best prices, as a general rule, especially if you have to travel at the popular times. Royal had the worst service and food. Princess was the 'nicest" experience - they were more your "Target" shopper mentality as opposed to "Walmart" if you know what I mean. They were more likely to be considerate of other guests, not push and shove or cut lines, and not have the "it's my vacation and I will do what I want" mentality I so often see stated on here. This is the best way I can describe the subtle difference in the lines and the experience - Princess just has a classier feel. And based on what I have read, the more expensive the line, the "classier" you will get. Some day I want to take the QE2 - I expect that to be 100% upscale and class.

That said, we have always enjoyed our Carnival Cruises - they are FUN - and will continue to use them as the price is right, the service is great and the food enjoyable. You will have a great time and if you find too much partying in one area, move on. It's a huge ship. And make your own!:D

Thanks. Yes. I actually get to stay at the Melia in Cable Beach frequently because of work, and I do agree that it's a much more relaxed and enjoyable setting than Downtown and Paradise Island. But I think that my dissatisfaction, along with that of others, doesn't stem as much from what Nassau actually has to offer, but with the cruise line's obsession to throw it in so many itineraries. On short itineraries from Florida, I understand. On longer itineraries it's insulting. I refuse to book 7 night cruises that stop there, no matter how awesome the ship is.

I agree that it is on so many itineraries, But that isn't the only problem. It seems that Carnival seems to be there at the strangest hours, such as arriving at 7 am and leaving by 2 pm or arriving at 1 or 2 pm and leaving at 8 pm. Many options don't work with those times in port. If you go to Cable beach the beach resort's day passes don't open until 9am and close at 5pm. Just doesn't make sense to go there and have so little time before you have to leave to go back to the ship or they close.

Yes. You will still have fun. I never had a problem with drunks and the MDR food is decent but the buffets and pizza are very poor IMHO. Stick with the MDR and you will be safe as far as food.

If you got the cruise for much cheaper , keep that in mind and set expectations accordingly. For what you pay, you get a decent time.

There is comparison, Carnival is a party barge.

Celebrity is a cocktail party.

Not Necessarily True IMHO. We are platinum on Carnival and not far from that on Celebrity. They are 2 different experiences and there are lots of reasons why people like one or the other. Sometimes depends on who you travel with. We are 60 and will be leaving next week for another Celebrity cruise. We definitely find different activities on the 2. You will find us dancing somewhere on a Carnival cruise and likely at the Martini Bar on the Celebrity. Just not as much excitement on Celebrity. But a cruise is a cruise!

What I will tell you is that you will come to like what you are most familiar with. We did RCCL last Feb and felt like "fish out of water". Just not used to the cruise line.

A cruise is what you make it. Enjoy and have fun!

Go with an open mind and don't worry about what your mom said. I have been on 5 Carnival cruises with 3 more booked. My kids have been on 1 and have 2 more booked so they are good for my kids, and I wouldn't want them exposed to the groups that your mom was warning you about.

I have only been on Carnival cruises and have enjoyed all of them! We even did the European one which is one of my favs. This year is was the San Juan cruise to all the islands. Another fav. Every year I hear that same thing too. There is so much to do that I have never been bored. We enjoy the food and there are many choices each day. Sometimes life is what you make it. With room service, great food and no cleaning for a week I'm in no complaint mode. I do think that I would check out what your ship offers so that you can plan. Just check out the daily Fun Times and bring a highliter to check off each days events. My friend went and came back and couldn't believe there were outdoor movies, comedy shows, games to play and funny lido deck contests. YES that's what I had been saying.. And the sailaway party is just the start. I know you'll be hooked too.... have fun!

......that my wife and I will be very sorry to have booked a Carnival Cruise. She said that Carnival will be filled with loud drunks, the food will suck and why didn't I take her advice and book with Celebrity.

Our hope is for a decent room, decent food, nice staff and enjoy our ports of Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. The major reason for booking with Carnival is it fit our holiday schedule the best.

You should have a great time.

It's funny how usually when I have heard this sort of statement made and I ask if the person has ever sailed on Carnival I find that they have not. People often seem to form an opinion based on things they have heard or read sometime in the past and it is very hard to convince them that they may be mistaken. Don't be surprised if this happens, even with your mother.

Have a good time and report back

And I guess that is why Carnival is such a successful cruise line.

Was that really your Mother's experience? She should have taken Carnival up on the vacation guarantee. Was there nothing good about her cruise?

Carnival is best described as an "informal" cruise line. It is very relaxed with dress code and the staff calls you by first name. Most passengers are friendly.

Some find the informality to be too relaxed and want more perks and to be treated like VIP's and not "just" guests. If so, Carnival will disappoint you greatly.

We like the informality and heavily prefer the relaxed atmosphere, so it is our cruiseline of choice.

My parents sail with Princess and the only thing different about their drunks is they paid a lot more for the privilege. Mom comes come with stories about middle aged women polishing off $75 bottles of wine by themselves... Lol.