Traveling to Italy

BirdTravels

The US Embassy in Rome issued the following advisory last night:

UNITED STATES EMBASSY ROME, ITALY

Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Potential for Terrorist Attacks

November 18, 2015

U.S. Embassy Rome informs U.S. citizens that the following locations have been identified as potential targets in Rome and Milan for terrorist attacks:

• St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City (Rome)

• the Duomo and La Scala in Milan

• General venues such as churches, synagogues, restaurants, theatres, and hotels in both cities are possible targets as well.

Terrorist groups may possibly utilize similar methods used in the recent Paris attacks. The Italian authorities are aware of these threats.

U.S. citizens are advised to remain vigilant and aware of their surroundings. We encourage U.S. citizens to monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.

Is anyone else cruising the Med worried about this situation? We are going to be on the Epic in January and had planned to spend 2 nights in Paris afterwards. We are starting to get worried about our trip. I don't want to give in to the fear. That's what they want. But I also want to be cautious.

Is anyone else cruising the Med worried about this situation? We are going to be on the Epic in January and had planned to spend 2 nights in Paris afterwards. We are starting to get worried about our trip. I don't want to give in to the fear. That's what they want. But I also want to be cautious.

We are on the same cruise as you, and yes I am worried too.

A lot can change in a few months.

I certainly understand someone being worried.

In many ways I would be more worried about places that haven't even been mentioned.

Often the attacks occur in places that haven't had then before (eg., Boston Marathon, Sydney in 2014, Madrid several years ago, and so forth).

Keith

And we are not supposed to believe there is a radical religious faction at the heart of these warnings???? I am so sick and tired of political correctness.:mad:

Personally I get tired of seeing politics mentioned on social sites whether that is Cruise Critic or FaceBook.

Oh well.

:eek:

I sail in just over 2 weeks and did have a Rome Tour book which I've cancelled, I already suffer with anxiety and can't deal with the extra stress. Also I didn't realize the Jubilee started from 8th Dec for a year so Rome will be busy as it will be starting just over a week before we go.

I know if I had kept the tour I would be worrying about constantly between now and then and it's not worth the hassle. Yes I'm doing exactly what "they" want us to do, but I'd rather have a happy holiday then a stressful one!

I have spa passed and the UBP so I guess I can take advantage of them :)

In many ways I would be more worried about places that haven't even been mentioned.

Often the attacks occur in places that haven't had then before (eg., Boston Marathon, Sydney in 2014, Madrid several years ago, and so forth).

Keith

That's my thinking, too

It boils down to this - - if you are apprehensive, scared, etc. then stay home.

You are not a coward or anything like that if you choose not to go.

All of the public manifestations of fear, and the like are exactly what the cowardly bastards who perpetrate terrorism love to read. For that is part of their mission.

Four of us are booked on the 13 January Epic sailing. We have tours booked in Rome and each and every other port Epic will touch. Our plans will not change unless NCL changes Epic's itinerary for the voyage.

Doesn't make me John Wayne of Clint Eastwood. Just makes me - - me. And I respect anyone who opts to alter their plans. It is a personal choice.

I think that whether to go or not go is a personal decision and no one should be ridiculed for their feelings. I have a cruise planned that goes to Italy and I am on the fence with it right now. I am very risk aversive. I do not find statistics about how much more likely I am to get killed in a car comforting but this is me. It is hard to have a good time when all these killer monsters are out there. Do we live life? Yes. But let's not fight amongst ourselves about people who decide to cancel based on their fears.

We just cancelled our cruise to the Med this spring. Sailing Breakaway to Bermuda instead. I just don't want to have to think about what COULD happen on an excursion in Italy or France or Spain. My vacation is about relaxation and less stress. For those who are keeping their plans for Europe, I applaud you and wish you a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Yes, it will impact pricing. What is sad is that it will impact some of the economies which since we have a global economy only hurts other places in the world as well including the USA. This is part of terrorism to change behavior.

I fully respect each persons decision on this.

Keith

Nope, not even slightly worried.

There are many things we do all the time which are far riskier than the chances of being caught up in a terrorist attack.

The real practical issue that these things cause is increased security, which is a pain.

I'm not criticising those who do decide to cancel, or are worried, but the risk itself is easily blown out of proportion. Millions of people travel every day and terrorism comes a long way down the list of risks, when it comes to the chances of it affecting your holiday.

Concerned, but not worried.

I have no plans to change plans for April.

I expect security to be pretty tight, with more inspections and longer lines. Will plan for more time at everything, and might have to cut out some sites. But with the extra the scrutiny and enhanced awareness, I feel more secure, not less.

I just hope security doesn't become so tight that it's not worth doing anything off the ship.

I am very risk aversive. I do not find statistics about how much more likely I am to get killed in a car comforting but this is me.

I don't think those statistics are quoted in order to comfort people (what they actually demonstrate is how relatively dangerous driving is, which is hardly a comfort).

What those statistics do however demonstrate is that the reasoning behind peoples decisions are often very flawed.

For example, someone may decide not to take that trip to Europe due to terrorism and instead have a beach holiday at home. By doing that, they are putting themselves at much more risk of death.

Nothing is safe, but it does seem to me a shame when people cancel the trip that they really wanted to do, because they don't feel it's safe and instead they do something else which is not only their second choice, but far more dangerous.

Having said that, if the fear of something happening will affect the enjoyment of the holiday then cancelling is by far the best plan.

I think traveling by ship is the safest way to go. If the cruise line feels a port is in danger they will not stop, if you feel unsafe in a port you may stay onboard. Flying back and forth to the ship is a different matter. Do what makes you feel good.

I agree that the terrorists are trying to destroy the economies and strike fear in the hearts of the people, but it is natural to feel afraid of such horrors. I wish there was a way to diversify economies so they could not destroy a country this way. Maybe buying products online. Who knows? I was in France in 2012 and Italy in 2013 and 2015. Loved both. Would love to go back again. Believe me, I felt absolutely heartbroken when I saw about the terror attacks and will do what I can to support the French people.

I lived in an unsafe inner city for years and was in an abusive marriage years ago so I have had my share of unsafe situations. I do not go to inner cities anymore unless there is no choice. I wish it was not such a violent world.

Yep, people need to do what feels right to them. I on the other hand am hoping that if enough people cancel I can score a super cheap cruise and airfare to the med this spring!

Agree with this approach. I have nothing to fear but fear itself.:)

You know there are plenty of places to go in France, Spain and Italy that are highly unlikely to be terrorist targets. Think about it, terrorists want to hit churches/religious sites, large venues and maybe some restaurants along the way - but these are in major cities, not in small towns or out in the country. For example, outside of Rome, there is Bomarzo and Garden di Monster - a very unique and historical Renaissance Garden that is not frequented by Americans - it is mostly Italians who go there. On a private tour from Civitavecchia you pass by aqueducts and head into the mists of Bomarzo and then the Garden is in a magical place. Early in the morning it is misty and mysterious and very memorable. If you like photography, it is a great place to photograph. If you like to walk and/or are interested in history, it has that. If you like to imagine that you live in the Renaissance, it is fun to pretend that you lived back then and are seeing this garden as a guest of the prince. It is absolutely magical and unlike anything you've ever seen before. There is a book you can buy on the garden on Amazon that, if you read it prior to your trip, will help you understand what you are seeing as what was common and widely known to Renaissance Italians, can be somewhat foreign to modern day tourists. After Bormarzo, it is possible to go to Villa Lante and see an entirely different kind of Renaissance garden and then Lake Bracchiano. All of these things, most foreign tourists don't do in Italy. All it takes is a little research to find these fascinating things to see that don't include, for example, going into Rome or Paris or a church or anywhere likely to be struck by terrorists. A private small group excursion allows you to control who you are traveling with, keeps you off of public transportation and puts you in such a small vehicle that terrorists would be unlikely to notice.

Anyway, think outside the box about what tours to go on and you will have little to no reason for concern about the possible terrorist threats.

Not any more worried than we would be cruising to/from big city areas in the USA....it is much easier to access firearms in the USA than Europe!

Everyone has a different level of risk. I lived for years with personnel guards. The situation never bothered my DH....he believes when your time is up..it's up. I was a nervous wreck the whole time. It was very hard for me to enjoy my time in Paradise. My DH loved every minute of it. My sister was going through a door to board a plane in Madrid when a bomb went off. She and her husband were thrown to the ground but unhurt. They boarded the next plane for Malaga. They paid for it and were going to enjoy it. They are going to France for 4 months this winter. They are not the least bit worried. We were in Paris in the 70's when the terrorists blew up an El Al plane at Orly. Streets were full of smoke bombs, tanks, soldiers etc. we just slipped into a MCDonalds with our 3 small children. Kids were thrilled to be in a McDonalds.

i'm not interested in visiting Europe for awhile not out of fear but the hassle factor. Security is going to be tight everywhere so I'm not interested in the hassle.