Caribbean - favourite island/port

beshears

Wow what a tough call! However I ALWAYS go back to St. Lucia. I have been twice on 2 different cruise lines and did 2 different things, but both included swimming. The first time we went to the volcano hot tub and did a mud bath (pretty awesome) then to the waterfalls and finally we went to the beach had lunch, swam, drank and the pitons were right there. Pretty awesome feel! The 2nd time we had a private beach that a guy owns on the other side of the pitons and soufriere. He cooked us a authentic lunch, we toured the garden and swam and relaxed! Spectacular. I would go back to St.Lucia time and time again. If you go, wake up early you will pass the pitons coming into port that morning (usually, both cruises we did) well worth the early wake up!

OK so if I had to say another island it would be, Aruba has great beaches. We did not relax on them cause we rented a motorcycle and explored the entire island.

Antigua has 365 beaches they say 1 for every day of the year. Great place we did go to the beach and hang out for awhile.

Dominca Republic had a great excursion that took us to a private beach we had lunch, drinks and relaxation on the way back to the ship we stopped at a show low location and found star fish. Gourgeous water and location!

Sure wish I was on one of these beaches right now! Expecially thinking about all of them! Tough call but whatever you choose will be perfect I'm sure.

We have different favorites, for different reasons.

Best beach - HMC

Best local beach, with scenic drive - St John

We also like Dominica for the feeling like we're away from it all. We really enjoyed our ATV tour on our port day in Samana, Dominican Republic, including hiking to a waterfall.

We very much enjoy Greneda and Martinique. We'd like to return to Trinidad.

Dominica was the first island that we booked a private tour on. We wanted to snorkel the Champagne Reef, but all of the ship excursions were in the afternoon (we like to be active in the morning and relax in the afternoon). So, we arranged to be picked up to snorkel Champagne Reef (not to be missed!) and then drove up to Trafalgar Falls and enjoyed the hot sulphur springs (normally part of a 6-8 hour tour) in about 4 hours. DH was then impressed and hooked on private tours!

St. Barts on the Pacific Princess was a treat - who knows when that opportunity will present itself again? The beaches are beautiful, the food is delicious and the roads are treacherous, so don't rent a car!!

:D

Oh my, thank you everyone for responding to my question.

It looks like I have several to choose from, and they all sound good to me. Today just happens to be Thanksgiving Day before I and all our family get together, so I want to wish all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving too.

Brenda/Kansas City

Sorry to thread hijack, but any ideas for sightseeing tours in St Lucia or Martinique that DO NOT stop at a beach? We are not water people.

You can google for details, but there are lots of other options, from basic tours to rain forest visits (St. Lucia) to zip-lining. No lack of things to do without stopping at a beach.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not into scuba diving, but I like the beach/sand/heat.

If you had a port/island to recommend to someone what would it be and why? If there was something special on this place to see or do that did not cost too much, what would it be?

Going to one of the private cruise ship (islands/port stops) would be at no cost and give you what you desire. :)

Edited by OCruisers

... If you had a port/island to recommend to someone what would it be and why? If there was something special on this place to see or do that did not cost too much, what would it be?

For us it's Half Moon Cay hands-down ... plenty to do and see and much of it is free (i.e., included in the cost of your cruise), although we wish HAL had not discontinued the Parasailing shore excursion on HMC which IMO was the very best shorex anywhere, anytime ...

For us it's Half Moon Cay hands-down ... plenty to do and see and much of it is free (i.e., included in the cost of your cruise), although we wish HAL had not discontinued the Parasailing shore excursion on HMC which IMO was the very best shorex anywhere, anytime ...

You're not alone with respect to the parasail excursion. My wife's father wanted to book that one.

You're not alone with respect to the parasail excursion. My wife's father wanted to book that one.

We were lucky enough to be able to do it a few (maybe 4) times before it was discontinued ... also did the Parasailing excursion on Castaway Cay ... loved every minuter of every one of them!!!

took a tour in Martinique that took us to the town that was covered by the volcano and to a botanical garden that was nicely laid out with identifying signs. there is a grocery store down the street near the pier that sells French wines and cheese at reasonable prices. Of course, with Hal's new wine policy......

St. Lucia is my favorite in the Caribbean. From my first visit on Rotterdam V in 1970 and all others since: the island's lush beauty and the friendliness of the citizens of this island have always been at the forefront in my memory when I think of the islands of the Caribbean.