Live notes from the first South America cruise on the Star

GUEST080219

Has there been any mention of the Reciprocity Fee requirement for entering Argentina in the Freestyle Daily?

Was the paperwork required to be shown either in the USA or before leaving Valparaiso?

Mike

I am from Europe so I don't have to care about that stuff. The only thing I can tell you is that there were counters labeled reciprocity at the check-in in San Diego and in the freestyle daily there was a note about seeing Michele the embarkation(?) officer for that.

Hi, Mike,

Thx for all the helpful postings.

Concerning photo downloads, is it possible on the ship computers (I.e., do the ship's computers have smart-card or USB ports)? I suppose I can use my tablet in a pinch...

Also, do the safes have punch buttons or do they have card swipes?

I'll be interested, also, in hearing about Falklands tendering process.

Thx so much!

Today in Punta Arenas I had the shore excursion named Magdalena Island Penguin Reserve. The pier of the ferry is not the pier the tender boats arrive, so there is a very short bus ride before going on the ferry. You will get a bag with snacks consisting of juice, water, sandwich, cereal bar, cookie.

Ferry

0eeb912ba606517767e69f2738539887.jpg

4151611fce57326ffa3fc00d49e817f2.jpg

42660d403a0ff41bcb7b7c949b7e5ddb.jpg

232ce2c0dcadaea8b6a117196eb90362.jpg

9ad5402152a59e01c1e20896113d7615.jpg

I am from Europe so I don't have to care about that stuff. The only thing I can tell you is that there were counters labeled reciprocity at the check-in in San Diego and in the freestyle daily there was a note about seeing Michele the embarkation(?) officer for that.

Thanks for the information. No only Yanks, Canucks and Aussies do!!

Mike

It has a while since last dry dock so most of the pictures around should still be accurate. Is there something specific you are looking for?

Hi Michael,

It's been 5 years since I was on the Sun, and I don't remember what Spa facilities (if any) it has. I keep confusing it with the Spirit. :(

Other than the salon, therapy rooms, and the gym....is there any type of spa thermal suite / interior pool?

Thanks,

Stephen

Hi, Mike,

Thx for all the helpful postings.

Concerning photo downloads, is it possible on the ship computers (I.e., do the ship's computers have smart-card or USB ports)? I suppose I can use my tablet in a pinch...

Also, do the safes have punch buttons or do they have card swipes?

I'll be interested, also, in hearing about Falklands tendering process.

Thx so much!

I just checked it. The actual computer is hidden somewhere behind the desk. You only have physical access to the monitor and keyboard and I couldn't find any USB access on there.

Thank you for checking, Michael!

I didn't realize Punta Arenas was a tender port!!! In 2003 on HAL, it was not a tender port (the ship was the Ryndam, a smaller ship). Interesting to know.

I just checked it. The actual computer is hidden somewhere behind the desk. You only have physical access to the monitor and keyboard and I couldn't find any USB access on there.

After 17 day repositioning on the Sun down to Valparaiso we yesterday started the first regular 14 day cruise around Cape Horn.

Although I am to lazy for a real live review I wanted to share some news for those doing this cruise in the next weeks.

First great news is that we have a destination lecturer on board. He did his first lecture about he first two ports this morning in the theatre and will be available for Q&A every evening near the atrium. He will do some live commentary later in this cruise as well and hold some special events. IMHO really awesome news.

Freestyle daily day 1

eb16141888ea72ea4a0dbcb9d604e97e.jpg

View of the port in Valparaiso

4d156ad92b1d5571647a03ce27ff96d3.jpg

20d75e5ba95bdfb275b983536ed566d4.jpg

This is very helpful. Thanks for posting. More more! Could you add any information on ports and any recommendations of things to do as well?