Live notes from the first South America cruise on the Star

GUEST080219

Thanks for all of your pics, Michael! It's making us so excited for our Dec. 19th cruise. It looks like it's very cold... is it also cold on the ship? During sea days, are people wearing sweaters around the ship? This is a crazy trip to pack for!

-Melissa

I'm really enjoying the updates from the ship. I'll be on the March 12th sailing and I'm really excited about the trip :)

In Ushuaia I'm interested in going on the little railway near there. It's the most southern railway in the world.

Are you on our roll call? I'm on that trip too. Also looking forward to the railway.

Stephen

Today the shore excursion was called Wildlife Cruise & Tierra Del Fuego National Park.

One detail that might be interesting as I did not get the impression from the description is that the catamaran cruise and the bus are not each round trip. We did the cruise first and disembarked in the national park and then took the bus tour trough the park and back to the Sun. The other half had the bus tour to national park first and then the catamaran back to the cruise ship.

Now the bad news for you is that we had fabulous weather including sunshine today. As the year average of sunny days in Ushuaia is just 40 days that makes the chance slimmer for you to be here while the sun is shining.

Overall a very good tour with good photo opportunities.

Catamaran:

ac076568c38f614e9c5257c477a263c8.jpg

bf8d9c29c761be40b0b5450e86bae4a0.jpg

Islands with animals we encountered

e5158ca432a709dba2205368bd8c225a.jpg

2b3cc454b692780a4497810c5b5f630f.jpg

I just noticed hat k took nearly all of the animal pictures with my DSLR so no way to show it to you now. You have to trust me that as the catamaran gets quite close to those small islands there are really neat photo opportunities.

Okay, forget about what I wrote earlier about he course we are taking. Actually we sailed south of Cape Horn east to west and then turned around and are now on our way to the Falkland Islands. Gorgeous weather again the sun even came out for a while and the sea was very calm for this area.

7464ae0b319568e83526fe8a126f9fe6.jpg

5101059bd517d8cc095d56b93f370bd0.jpg

cd91771a027b853826bd5e6627e065b2.jpg

69329345944b46318ebf12f9fe5b4c85.jpg

5c07224095217c3de65d6580f1814086.jpg

b53aecd11d9137642943c13e2dc28d69.jpg

Not on these pictures but if you have a decent camera you should actually be able to take good pictures of the buildings and the monument on Cape Horn.

Not on these pictures but if you have a decent camera you should actually be able to take good pictures of the buildings and the monument on Cape Horn.

I'm really enjoying your report. We're on the same ship and same itinerary in January. I'm guessing you're posting photos taken with your phone. Will you later post photos taken with your DSLR? I'd love to see those!

Sam

Hello Michael! Let me add to the list of "THANK YOU'S" for your generosity in taking time to chronicle your voyage and posting your amazing pictures!! I'm booked on this (eastbound) itinerary - December 19th cruise.

Of particular interest: Please keep commenting/recommending best shore excursions. Also, as a "solo" traveler (I'm divorced male in my 60's) I'm wondering how well attended nightly "SOLO TRAVELER" meet-ups have been? Are their many solo cruisers on this trip?

Thanks so much, and please keep your updates coming!!

Michael B

Thanks for all of your pics, Michael! It's making us so excited for our Dec. 19th cruise. It looks like it's very cold... is it also cold on the ship? During sea days, are people wearing sweaters around the ship? This is a crazy trip to pack for!

-Melissa

The wind makes the whole thing of a temperature forecast meaningless. It goes from t-shirt and shorts when in the sun and wind protected to gloves, sweater, jacket when standing in the direct wind.

And don't forget enough sun blocker and protection.

I can not stress enough to dress in layers.

I'm really enjoying the updates from the ship. I'll be on the March 12th sailing and I'm really excited about the trip :)

In Ushuaia I'm interested in going on the little railway near there. It's the most southern railway in the world.

Our guide pointed the train station out when we were leaving the national park. I guess every trip that gets to the national park is very much worth it. Should be a great scenery from the train, enjoy.

Michael, thanks so much for the amazing photos (do you touch them up? - they look professional!), for the dailies and for the answers to questions. And thanks for answering my question on B2B in Valparaiso.

Thanks. No coming directly out of the phone without any editing. I agree it is pretty great what smartphones nowadays are able to do

Hi Michael,

We can't Thank You enough for your thorough reviews and info. We are sailing on December 19, 2015 and this info helps tremendously with our Preparation. If it is possible could you please send the wine list" by the glass" as we have the UDP included in our cruise package.

Save some of that sunshine for us! Marian

Hi Michael,

It's been 5 years since I was on the Sun, and I don't remember what Spa facilities (if any) it has. I keep confusing it with the Spirit. :(

Other than the salon, therapy rooms, and the gym....is there any type of spa thermal suite / interior pool?

Thanks,

Stephen

Sorry, I have no idea. I always try to keep away as far as possible from the spa and the employees waiting outside trying to sell stuff. The only time I ever was near a spa was on the Epic when the public area tour went there.

Great information. Did you think Magdalena Island was a good tour? I haven't organised anything yet for Punta Arenas.

I do think it was worth it. There should be local companies offering the tour in a different kind of boat as well for probably a fraction of what you would pay for the ships tour.

I'm really enjoying your report. We're on the same ship and same itinerary in January. I'm guessing you're posting photos taken with your phone. Will you later post photos taken with your DSLR? I'd love to see those!

Sam

Yes I will, but be warned I said the same about the North Cape trip in June and I still did not find time yet to do it for those.