Live notes from the first South America cruise on the Star

GUEST080219

Thank you for all the postings, great information and photos.

Which ports were tendered before Valparaiso please?

Thanks

Mike

Uff.

You might find that info in the freestyle daily because for tender ports there should be early in the morning a line for tender ticket distribution.

Out of my head I can't list them at the moment.

Hello Michael! Let me add to the list of "THANK YOU'S" for your generosity in taking time to chronicle your voyage and posting your amazing pictures!! I'm booked on this (eastbound) itinerary - December 19th cruise.

Of particular interest: Please keep commenting/recommending best shore excursions. Also, as a "solo" traveler (I'm divorced male in my 60's) I'm wondering how well attended nightly "SOLO TRAVELER" meet-ups have been? Are their many solo cruisers on this trip?

Thanks so much, and please keep your updates coming!!

Michael B

There are. I am one as well but I never went to these meetings. From sitting next to it in Windjammer I would say there is a good group who is enjoying it and one of the persons from the cruise staff seems to be there all or most evenings as well.

Michael,

Have they done a laundry special yet? I am wondering how often they will offer it on a two week cruise.

In light of the need for layers, I am hoping they do more than one laundry day.

Thanks!

It was offered on Thursday and returned on Saturday. Not sure if they do a second one but I guess it will only be useful for those doing a land trip afterwards.

Hi Michael, I'm still following and enjoying your thread. Great to see that sun even if you are using up the 40 sunny days. Im sailing next year (January, so I'm hoping the 40 days start again )

I'm assuming there is an ATM onboard. *

Can you get US $100 notes from the ATM incase I need to top up either during the cruise to pay for private tours or for my time travelling post cruise?

I have been advised NOT to try to pay for things in South America using USD100 notes, even USD50 may be hard to spend.

The other thing was to only have "pristine" notes, no writing on them, no tears and not dirty.

I don't know how true that is but I was so advised.

Mike

I have been advised NOT to try to pay for things in South America using USD100 notes, even USD50 may be hard to spend.

The other thing was to only have "pristine" notes, no writing on them, no tears and not dirty.

I don't know how true that is but I was so advised.

Mike

Thanks- many of the hotels I'm staying In have requested US. Even the one in Santiago has stated I have to pay in US, otherwise I have to pay the local tax. The private tours I'm booked on also want US dollars, except Falklands who want GBR pounds. I'm not from the US so I am exchanging my money here in Aus. It's just hard to calculate how many I will need. So far I have bought brand new notes, they're blue not green, no tears etc. I'm just so used to taking the minimum and using an ATM when I get there. I was hoping if I didn't bring enough, the ship might have been an alternative to top up. I'm not a good budgeter when I travel. I tend to top up as needed. I usually pay hotel bills with CC, but they all seem to want cash.

Sorry for repeating myself, but THANK YOU for all your wonderful photos and all the information about the tour! That's the best preparation for me.

You are right: the beautiful landscape looks almost like Norway and maybe you leave one or the other sunny day for us - we'd appreciate that.:D

As we visited the Christmas market in Munich last weekend, I wondered if the Sun is already decorated for the holidays?

HI all!

Michael ~ have a great time watching Penguins, looking forward to those pictures!:D

Thanks for all you're doing to prepare us for our Sun S. America cruises.

I noticed in the Freestyle Dailies there's often a meeting for people 31 - 40,

any idea why?

Have a lovely day!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hello! Loving your pictures and review.. I will be on this cruise on March 26th leaving from Buenos Aires.

it is really great having you showing us what we could expect from that.

how is it for solo travelers? i read that you are also traveling alone like me. how has been the solo experience on NCL Sun so far? :)

HI all!

Just bringing this thread up from page 4 so Michael can find it when he's able to post again.

I wonder if the internet is the problem or if he's too busy or not well. Sure hope all is okay.

~ Jo ~ :)

Actually I really did not feel good when coming back from the Falkland Islands. Not because I was sick but I will be honest being 27 days on the ship of the size from the Sun feels more like a prison than a vacation at that time. Probably even more so when the biggest highlights like Cape Horn are done.

I will continue with the missing pictures later in the day.

Okay so in the Falkland Islands I was on the tour named The Lagoon Bluff. Which was the second of three excursions seeing penguins.

The tour description is absolutely accurate so now to the pictures

457606ce333ddd1d469c14c28d7d56c2.jpg

c4274e0722ae2e68c137e03de6b60a04.jpg

35425f8050fc3b542a88132807d7760d.jpg

1aebf8e790f250af537a67d2871d9d0d.jpg

3fed17ef291af9dd35f30e29dc34d5da.jpg

0ff84480501657c1ddf32c34fb69cc49.jpg

I did enjoy the tour but this was one of the more expensive ones.

Hi Michael, thanks for keeping this thread up. You have been so kind to share your experience with us. Someone has suggested bringing painters booties to cover your shoes when visiting the penguins. Did you think that would be necessary?

Actually I really did not feel good when coming back from the Falkland Islands. Not because I was sick but I will be honest being 27 days on the ship of the size from the Sun feels more like a prison than a vacation at that time. Probably even more so when the biggest highlights like Cape Horn are done.

I can relate to this Michael, I was at sea for a few years working as an engineer back in the 70,s. The boats were big , not as big as the Sun but we only had 10 or 15 crew, no passengers. Gets to be a little claustrophobic for sure. I found theses feelings came and went periodically. Look forward to your next cruise and it is always nice to get home. You are doing a great job with your post and are helping lots of us in the planning of our upcoming cruises.

My last Falklands tour was in a February, the chicks were moulting their downy feathers, so we had a beautiful white carpet on which to walk! (I.e., no poop issue!).

Hi Michael, thanks for keeping this thread up. You have been so kind to share your experience with us. Someone has suggested bringing painters booties to cover your shoes when visiting the penguins. Did you think that would be necessary?
Edited by Birder1

Okay so in the Falkland Islands I was on the tour named The Lagoon Bluff. Which was the second of three excursions seeing penguins.

The tour description is absolutely accurate so now to the pictures

I did enjoy the tour but this was one of the more expensive ones.

Thanks for these....I have this one bookmarked for Stanley.

Stephen

Michael,

Have really enjoyed your posts and pictures. I certainly understand how a ship can seem confining after so long on board.

Thanks Michael- you've done a fantastic job! 27 days, that's a long time to cruise. The longest I've done is a 21 day b2b Med cruise, but we had port stops nearly every day. I must admit, by the end I'd seen enough ruins and was happy to just get off, walk around and eat food that wasn't ship food! Enjoy the rest of your cruise- your heading back to the warmth!