Baggage - Perth to Fremantle Captain Cook "cruise"

bazzaw

We are doing this years Princess 46 day Indian Ocean cruise - flying to Perth from Brisbane and have booked an overnight hotel in Perth, close to the wharf with a the aim of a leisurely trip to Fremantle. We were just about to book the Captain Cook cruise (Ferry) from Perth to Fremantle, and suddenly thought " Oh dear! What about our cases"??

I have seen people here recommending this form of travel to the ships berth - but no mention of luggage .

Anybody here done this???

Thanks

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

On our cruise from Perth the hotel we stayed in was close to the station we just caught the train to Fremantle with our luggage in tow. It only cost a few bucks each and the Fremantle station is very close to the cruise ship terminal. When we returned to the port we just caught the train back to Perth.

While not as scenic as taking the ferry the train was quick and inexpensive.

Cab is very easy. Train is pretty easy. In August we considered, but chose not to do the river ferry because it was relatively expensive, and only ran like every other hour, or something like that. Plus you would need to drag your bags a healthy walk, although the walk from the train station is also pretty healthy, but not as far as from the ferry dock.

If you have time in Perth the cruise up the Swan River to the wineries is fabulous too.

I don't want to deter you from the cruise, but at both ends you will have to walk with your own luggage, as well as carrying it on and off the boat. For a 46 day cruise I assume you will have substantial luggage. The ferry stops further down the dock, maybe 200 metres?

Cheers

Rosie

We are doing this years Princess 46 day Indian Ocean cruise - flying to Perth from Brisbane and have booked an overnight hotel in Perth, close to the wharf with a the aim of a leisurely trip to Fremantle. We were just about to book the Captain Cook cruise (Ferry) from Perth to Fremantle, and suddenly thought " Oh dear! What about our cases"??

I have seen people here recommending this form of travel to the ships berth - but no mention of luggage .

Anybody here done this???

Thanks

Barry

What a great idea. Might do it on our Sydney to Fremantle cruise next year. It sounds like a better and cheaper option than the cruise line transfer to Perth airport with tour of city included. We are fine with walking with our luggage.

However, can someone tell me - at the Perth end of the Capt Cook cruise, is it far to the airport. We would need to catch a taxi and I suppose taxis would not be lined up there and I would need to ring for one.

Rosie

What a great idea. Might do it on our Sydney to Fremantle cruise next year. It sounds like a better and cheaper option than the cruise line transfer to Perth airport with tour of city included. We are fine with walking with our luggage.

However, can someone tell me - at the Perth end of the Capt Cook cruise, is it far to the airport. We would need to catch a taxi and I suppose taxis would not be lined up there and I would need to ring for one.

Rosie

http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au/fremantle-cruises

We are doing it simply because we have never done it before. We have deliberately booked into a hotel in Perth which is within walkable (for us) distance from the wharf in Perth (1 klm, even pulling bags).

Re - taxis to Perth airport - we will probably get a taxi direct to the airport upon our return. I think that after 46 nights we will probably have had enough of "boats" !! :) But the wharf at the Perth end is close to the centre of the city so I can't imagine too much difficulty getting a taxi there - perhaps a local could advise further here??

http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au/fremantle-cruises

We are doing it simply because we have never done it before. We have deliberately booked into a hotel in Perth which is within walkable (for us) distance from the wharf in Perth (1 klm, even pulling bags).

Re - taxis to Perth airport - we will probably get a taxi direct to the airport upon our return. I think that after 46 nights we will probably have had enough of "boats" !! :) But the wharf at the Perth end is close to the centre of the city so I can't imagine too much difficulty getting a taxi there - perhaps a local could advise further here??

Hi Barry,

At the end of your cruise I suggest buying transfers from Princess. The last price I saw was AUD$19 each, but someone else might confirm if that is still the price. It is about 45 minutes' drive from the Fremantle dock to Perth airport. The cost in a taxi is in excess of $65 and there is usually a queue for taxis.

Hi Barry,

At the end of your cruise I suggest buying transfers from Princess. The last price I saw was AUD$19 each, but someone else might confirm if that is still the price. It is about 45 minutes' drive from the Fremantle dock to Perth airport. The cost in a taxi is in excess of $65 and there is usually a queue for taxis.

Just rang Princess and reserved a transfer. The current price is $29 AUD per person per trip and is available Airport to Pier and vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...
Just rang Princess and reserved a transfer. The current price is $29 AUD per person per trip and is available Airport to Pier and vice versa.

Hi there

We will also need to purchase a transfer from Freo back to the airport. Did you ring the 1300 number on your cruise personaliser to book?

Cheers

Hi there

We will also need to purchase a transfer from Freo back to the airport. Did you ring the 1300 number on your cruise personaliser to book?

Cheers

The number I rang was 13 24 88.

They may want to use it to get to the ship as well though.:D

The post by dands152 that I was responding to mentioned a transfer "from Freo back to the airport."

Barry has booked a hotel in Perth for the night prior to the cruise so he is not wanting to book a transfer from the airport to the Fremantle dock.:)

The post by dands152 that I was responding to mentioned a transfer "from Freo back to the airport."

Barry has booked a hotel in Perth for the night prior to the cruise so he is not wanting to book a transfer from the airport to the Fremantle dock.:)

At least they are sorted then with several options.:D