Worried about Royal Princess/s bad reviews???

portcbob

We had a superb time on the Royal. We liked it so much that we booked it for next year. I really don't see the negatives at all (yes, I know, no middle stairs, not a full promenade, and no aft pool) but we had a blast. She's a beautiful ship.

Our same experience too......we booked her again for a 2016 TA.....I think lots of the grumbling is from people who just like to grumble about anything.....:)

We took our first TA on the Royal this past April, and enjoyed the ship so much we booked her again for the April 2016 TA. Only change we will make is to move up to a mini from a deluxe balcony. We had a very smooth ride in our mid aft location on deck 10. Agree with the comments that often the activities in the Piazza were too loud-we just went someplace else when it bothered us. Same with the center elevators that everyone seems to complain about- walk forward or aft !!

Can't wait to go again!!

we would make one suggestion to those that are able (and willing) to use steps rather then always waiting (sometimes for more then 5 min) for an elevator.

I realize that some people have a hard time with stairs (I can do a few flights but I could not do the Great Wall of China anymore), but it seems there are always people waiting forever for the lift only to go one flight up.

we would make one suggestion to those that are able (and willing) to use steps rather then always waiting (sometimes for more then 5 min) for an elevator.

I realize that some people have a hard time with stairs (I can do a few flights but I could not do the Great Wall of China anymore), but it seems there are always people waiting forever for the lift only to go one flight up.

There are some people who can't do even one flight of stairs due to medical conditions. Perhaps they should carry a note from the doctor to show judgmental types who think they know better? :rolleyes:

I would say if someone waits all that time to go one flight up that they cannot use the stairs. We all must remember that not every medical issue is visible .

Reader

No offense meant to anyone...as I pointed out I myself have a problem with too many stairs.

My comment was meant to perhaps nudge those who can climb to do so.

Edited by skf

No offense meant to anyone...as I pointed out I myself have a problem with too many stairs.

My comment was meant to perhaps nudge those who can climb to do so.

No offense taken here, just reminding people you cannot always see a disability.

Happy Cruising!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Never waited more than a minute for a mid ship elevator or had holey sheets or thin gray towels:confused: Karen

Funny that you mention towels. We were appalled with our towels on the Regal (3 weeks ago) although this is not normally the kind of thing that we consider a make or break issue. But our towels were thin, some were ragged, and they are the kind of towel we would expect at a budget motel such as Econo-Lodges. Our bed linens were absolutely fine. We are going on a Celebrity ship in a few days, and their towels are generally about twice the size (and twice as thick) as what we had on the Regal. Speaking of the Regal, the pool towels were great (except when they ran out of them). But since they kept running out of pool towels we started joking that passengers were probably taking them to use in their cabins...since they were much nicer then the ones provided.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The Royal has received a lot of bad press right from the very start. Granted, some of the criticisms are well founded. The over crowded elevators mid ship are a big problem. The small balconies are problematic for some. The layout of the Promenade deck has turned many cruisers away.

However, there are many positives which help to offset these negatives. The atrium area is large and stunning. The buffet area is huge and very well laid out. We found the food to be quite good and there was a large variety of dining venues offered. The crew were friendly and accommodating.

As with any ship, if you want to enjoy your cruise, you will. The balconies are large enough for two people to sit out on with a small cocktail table between two chairs (more than two people would be problematic). The midship elevators can be avoided by walking to the front or the back of the ship to catch the elevator or take the stairs. In lieu of the Promenade deck there is a wonderful walking/running area up on Deck 17 which provides great views of the sea.

Was the Royal our favorite Princess ship? No. Would we sail her again? Yes, we would if the itinerary and price were right. You seem to have found an itinerary that suits your needs so give it a try and then form your own opinion. I believe that as long as you go with an open mind and the attitude that you will make the most of your cruise you will have a great trip. Enjoy!

Well said and agree 100%.

Hi

For us the Royal class of ships offers nothing, while ship is nice inside, I do not want to spend my time in the atrium,

if the ship is just to get you from port to port no issues, if you have lots of sea days or want to go scenic cruising then I would not pick the Royal,

however if price is good a cruise is a cruise.

yours Shogun

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Well said sir.....:):):)

Bob

Never go by the reviews. They are simply someone personal perspective on their experiences. What I always find odd are the reviews on the same ship and same dates.

Disagree 100%. Everyones different and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

To dismiss that because you don't agree is wrong. :(

The DW and I have been on the Royal twice and we have enjoyed the ship both times. We would not hesitate to sail her again.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Edited by ChiefBoats

I've taken two 17-day trans-Atlantic cruises on the Royal and love her. Have another 10-day cruise booked.

Some negatives are well-founded such as the lack of oceanview cabins and center stairs. The rest of the negatives never affected me. I don't care that you can't walk the length of the Promenade (you can't do that on several Princess ships without walking up and down stairs), there's no aft pool which I've never used, etc. I never sit at the pools or in the sun so whether they are small or not enough has no effect. Wish there was shade around the pools. There's none at the Retreat pool and very little at the main pool. Love the Piazza and the Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro are amazing.

While the Royal has some negatives we still sail it because of the 10 day itinerary BUT if one of the older ships fit out schedule we wouldn't hesitate to go with them.

Our major complaints are the elevators, promenade deck, no aisles in the show lounge & noisy Piazza. All irritating to one degree or another.

A good benchmark to judge a review is whether or not the writer would repeat the ship. From what I see, there are lots of people that would cruise the Royal and Regal again including us.

If I was so fussy that a couple of changes on new Princess ships would make me avoid them, then I would have ceased sailing Princess after our first cruise on the Coral Princess. One thing or another was different on each ship we sailed.

Can't wait to get on the Regal Sunday.:D:D:D

I personally LOVE to read the bad reviews - they generally give a very clear picture of the reviewer :)

I have my first cruise on the Royal next June and by reading the bad reviews I can pick out trends to be watchful of and maybe plan around to enhance my cruise. Like the subjects of small balconies and elevator placement...so now I plan on No to wild parties on the Balcony and start investigating alternate routes to various venues. But cruising is very subjective and I have found that the really happy cruisers have realistic expectations and don't sweat the small stuff; which is why I like Princess most of the passengers have the same attitude.

This is exactly our approach! :) I love my time on my balcony so knowing in advance this will feel small (probably really small as our last cruise was a full suite on HAL), but that I'll still be able to sit out there with a glass of wine, allows me to better prepare for what might have been a disappointment otherwise.

Knowing what to expect makes me feel comfortable and mitigates potentially upsetting situations.