adjusting tips

megann831

OP - what was the service issue that you encountered that led you to adjust the service charge in the first place? From what I see on NCL's FAQs, they request you notify them while on board so they have an opportunity to address the situation to your satisfaction.

Or was your only issue that you didn't agree with their policy on the service charge?

If one can not afford $12-13.50 per day, for each person above the age of 3 years old - then one can't afford to cruise, period. Doesn't matter which cruise line it is - your kid / spouse or whomever going with you, is occupying public space on the ship, eating breakfast/lunch/brunch/snacks, using the lavatories and has to sleep somewhere.

Not liking that you have to pay for them? Then never pick a cruise line that has Service Charges and fare separate from each while expecting the customers to pay for both. Also, never pick one that doesn't state the who, how and when you're getting your DSC refund back in the contract either. *Shrug*

2) From the passenger contract PDF, Section 3©:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

"The charge ... subject to adjustment at your discretion"

Still don't understand why this causes such a ruckus on here. The passenger contract states that it can be adjusted at their discretion. If they feel that their child's fare shouldn't have that charge, it's their prerogative. If someone else doesn't like the redistribution system in place or lack of information on it and only feels like tipping those employees whom they've had direct contact with, so be it. If NCL or any other cruise line has issues with remunerating their employees using these discretionary charges due to those who opt out of the system, incorporate the current discretionary charge into their fare and be done with this.

Edited by MtreJ
typo

So a 3 year old should pay $27 a day in DSC according to a couple on here...:confused:

The DSC should be a flat rate per cabin and not per person....the larger the cabin the more the charge.

We have also found out that DSC means a couple of different things on NCL literature...NCL needs to change this.

Have you ever heard the word "facetious" ?

Still don't understand why this causes such a ruckus on here. The passenger contract states that it can be adjusted at their discretion. If they feel that their child's fare shouldn't have that charge, it's their prerogative. If someone else doesn't like the redistribution system in place or lack of information on it and only feels like tipping those employees whom they've had direct contact with, so be it. If NCL or any other cruise line has issues with remunerating their employees using these discretionary charges due to those who opt out of the system, incorporate the current discretionary charge into their fare and be done with this.

It can be adjusted, does not mean it should be

Edited by pieshops

Of course, one should have a reason and state why the service was subpar. Saying it is against your religion should not be a reason

IMO, not wanting to pay for your child(ren) who are 3 years old and up; falls in the religion is not an excuse category. [emoji72]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Nice guys. Derail the thread to religion. In before lock.

Equally amazed perusing through these threads how industry reform is never mentioned. Flying flags of convenience coupled with this obscure remuneration system only helps shareholders.

Want to pay in blindly to a DSC, go right ahead. Want to tip all those who provided direct service to you like the room steward, waiters, busboys and bar staff, equally your call.

Not tipping at all is really the only category that is disgusting IMO.

So a 3 year old should pay $27 a day in DSC according to a couple on here...:confused:

The DSC should be a flat rate per cabin and not per person....the larger the cabin the more the charge.

We have also found out that DSC means a couple of different things on NCL literature...NCL needs to change this.

This ambiguity is deliberate. In global relations, specifically foreign policy, it is referred to as strategic ambiguity. There are some non-academic articles on the topic of strategic ambiguity in corporate communications, but nothing scholarly. The topic might be the focus of my dissertation. The DSC would play a supporting role for sure!

This ambiguity is deliberate. In global relations, specifically foreign policy, it is referred to as strategic ambiguity. There are some non-academic articles on the topic of strategic ambiguity in corporate communications, but nothing scholarly. The topic might be the focus of my dissertation. The DSC would play a supporting role for sure!

Very interesting post Jane Doe. Thanks for the contribution.

Equally amazed perusing through these threads how industry reform is never mentioned. Flying flags of convenience coupled with this obscure remuneration system only helps shareholders.

Want to pay in blindly to a DSC, go right ahead. Want to tip all those who provided direct service to you like the room steward, waiters, busboys and bar staff, equally your call.

I have no problems paying the DSC and tipping more on top to those that serve me directly in my sight. Because no offense, if you're boohooing over $12-13.50 a day per person for a $1,500 kids sale free altogether fare for 3- 4; you need to rethink about sailing on a budget line with your kids. Because $12-13.50 a day is pocket change for services that included in the DSC like room steward, all the complimentary dining, restroom attendants, the guys that wash your bedsheets/towels. Plus, I highly doubt that those that remove will tip $3- 5 to each worker that serves them within sight, since one runs into at least at minimum 3 a day; not counting the bartenders that are paid differently.

Not liking that cruise lines are flying those flags on convenience to skirt US minimum salaries and labor laws for those workers? Then don't cruise on them especially when they sail internationally since all the lines do it. [emoji57]

I have no problems paying the DSC and tipping more on top to those that serve me directly in my sight. Because no offense, if you're boohooing over $12-13.50 a day per person for a $1,500 kids sale free altogether fare for 3- 4; you need to rethink about sailing on a budget line with your kids. Because $12-13.50 a day is pocket change for services that included in the DSC like room steward, all the complimentary dining, restroom attendants, the guys that wash your bedsheets/towels. Plus, I highly doubt that those that remove will tip $3- 5 to each worker that serves them within sight, since one runs into at least at minimum 3 a day; not counting the bartenders that are paid differently.

Not liking that cruise lines are flying those flags on convenience to skirt US minimum salaries and labor laws for those workers? Then don't cruise on them especially when they sail internationally since all the lines do it. [emoji57]

Who do you think you are? The DSC police? NCL calls the fee discretionary and that is all that matters. Your opinion is well-known and irrelevant.

How many times have you told people not to sail NCL? Do you think NCL appreciates that? You are the on line equivalent of a billboard for the competition.

Sorry, but what exactly is that claim based on? Nobody is flying a flag of convenience to skirt US minimum salaries and labor laws.

With the exception of the PoA (an exception specifically granted by legislation), a ship would have to be built in the United States in order to fly a US Flag. It has nothing to do with salaries and labor laws...once those ships are built elsewhere, they have to be flagged elsewhere.

I was referring to religion as in some people are religiously cheap, will not pay a cent more than they must, will want all the DSC refunded because they do not believe in paying more than they are required. Could one write to NCL and ask for a total refund, claiming that they just don't want to pay? What reasons would be acceptable?

You talk a lot about things you dont know.

Who do you think you are? The DSC police? NCL calls the fee discretionary and that is all that matters. Your opinion is well-known and irrelevant.

How many times have you told people not to sail NCL? Do you think NCL appreciates that? You are the on line equivalent of a billboard for the competition.

They call it discretionary so that people have a recourse if service is subpar and was not rectified on board, not so that people can remove it just because they don't want to pay it. However since that is the system put in place people will take advantage of it. I wouldn't be surprised if At some point in the future they just add it as a line item upon booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please let me know if you get your refund. I plan to tip in cash and get the auto tipping removed. After I've tipped all week in cash I would be livid if I didn't get the auto tips removed and had tipped double.

Since everything goes on my charge card I would have to dispute the charges which is trouble but I would feel I had to do it.

Children should not have to tip the same amount for the cabin attendant, it's still only one cabin to clean and vacuum and one bathroom to clean. I would tip the cabin attendant half since they did have to make the bed for the child. The dining room I would tip the same as an adult because they require the same service. I do believe NCL has raised their SUGGESTED amounts to more then what they actually distribute to their crew and will tip less then the SUGGESTED daily amount BUT I believe those I tip will actually receive more with NCL's hand not in the pot.

Maybe your children are all way better behaved and less accident prone than mine ever were, but I always thought I should tip extra for the youngest ones, not less, and we usually did. I felt like I was forever asking for things that required extra work, i.e., kid threw up or had an accident, need sheets changed; kid spilled soda, dropped food on the floor, or knocked over something on table, all requiring clean-up; kid's aim is bad and he missed toilet and hit wall and floor, or towels, need extra bathroom clean-up (and more towels); kid didn't want anything on dinner menu and I had to ask for something special; kid lost pool towel and we need another (now they charge you for them -- before you could just get another one), and on and on. Plus, when our kids were young the cabin was always a pigsty, with their toys and other stuff strewn all around, making it more difficult for the stewards to clean. I hate to think it was just our kids, but maybe it was....

Terry

They call it discretionary so that people have a recourse if service is subpar and was not rectified on board, not so that people can remove it just because they don't want to pay it. However since that is the system put in place people will take advantage of it. I wouldn't be surprised if At some point in the future they just add it as a line item upon booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silly me. I thought they called it discretionary because if they called it mandatory it would be commissionable! But hey, what do I know?

Seriously, NCL loses less revenue from the DSC removers/reducers than they would if they had to pay TA commission on the DSC for every booking. If that balance changes, the policy will change.

An example. Let's the average commission is 10% and we are on the Getaway. We are sailing with 4000 pax (for ease). 13.5 * 4000*7days=$378,000. 10% of that is $37,800. So that would mean that if less than 400 (10%) pax completely remove the DSC, it is still cheaper than paying the commission.

Edited by Jane Don

Silly me. I thought they called it discretionary because if they called it mandatory it would be commissionable! But hey, what do I know?

Seriously, NCL loses less revenue from the DSC removers/reducers than they would if they had to pay TA commission on the DSC for every booking. If that balance changes, the policy will change.

An example. Let's the average commission is 10% and we are on the Getaway. We are sailing with 4000 pax (for ease). 13.5 * 4000*7days=$378,000. 10% of that is $37,800. So that would mean that if less than 400 (10%) pax completely remove the DSC, it is still cheaper than paying the commission.

Except they already exempt certain parts of the fare from commission, such a sport fees, so why couldn't they do the same with the DSC

If one can not afford $12-13.50 per day, for each person above the age of 3 years old - then one can't afford to cruise, period. Doesn't matter which cruise line it is - your kid / spouse or whomever going with you, is occupying public space on the ship, eating breakfast/lunch/brunch/snacks, using the lavatories and has to sleep somewhere.

Not liking that you have to pay for them? Then never pick a cruise line that has Service Charges and fare separate from each while expecting the customers to pay for both. Also, never pick one that doesn't state the who, how and when you're getting your DSC refund back in the contract either. *Shrug*

I didn't see anything from the OP about not being able to afford the DSC.

NCL didn't have a problem giving the DSC as a booking bonus, so why aren't you badgering them about that instead of harassing those who decide to remove it and tip in cash ?

In response to the OP's question, I had REFUNDABLE OBC that NCL refused to handle onboard, and I was told I would get a refund in two weeks. After two months and several phone calls, I finally got the check. There is no excuse for doing business in that manner.

So, that said, I pose the question ---Why does it bother you and others on this board how others decide to handle this matter as long as it is within the guide lines established by NCL ?

YOu can pay double or more if that is your desire, but others have the right to handle as they choose, also.

Except they already exempt certain parts of the fare from commission, such a sport fees, so why couldn't they do the same with the DSC

There was a cruise line once upon time, long, long ago in 1999 they decided to piss off all the travel agents by capping commissions at $500 per cabin. Not an agent would sell a Renaissance cruise. They collectively boycotted and on Sept 30th 2001 they ceased operations. Some blame 911 - and although that was a hit for every travel company, it is not reasonable to believe that 19 days played a significant role in their demise. It was just the straw that broke the back. It was the agents that destroyed it.

You win the NCL forum if you know who was responsible for that cost saving measure.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-02-11/business/0002101154_1_travel-agents-renaissance-cruises-cruise-line