adjusting tips

megann831

It is fascinating to me that everything is a conspiracy theory, you guys spend way too much time worrying about who gets what.

When you go out to a restaurant at home and you leave your 15 or 20 or whatever percent, do you ask how that is distributed, do you ask what percentage the runner who brings your food gets, how about the busses, or the bartender, do you ask how much they get?

WOW, i am throwing my hands up and walking away from this one. I guess I have better things on vacation to worry about.

Most good companies have an employee welfare fund (it is called different names, at different companies) and it is funded by our purchases. I wonder if those that complain about NCL's welfare fund being funded by the DSC, complain to these other corporations that do the same thing, because last time I made a purchased, no one asked me if I cared if a portion of my purchase went to the employee welfare fund. What people don't get is that we pay for everything with our purchases, etc., the company doesn't pay a darn thing.

You ask YOURSELF. I have better things to do than wonder how they distribute my fare. (room charge + port + taxes + service charge = Fare)

If people aren't being adequately compensated, they'll leave.

I don't question Mercedes as to who gets what percentage of the cost of my car, and I don't question the Toronto Transit Commission to ask what percentage the bus driver gets, vs. the subway driver vs. the supervisor. I pay my fare, and the rest is between those fine people.

a) Chick fil a = bad.

b) This isn't quite true. Coupons are the responsibility of the Franchisee, as a portion of their local marketing budget. The company devises the plan, sets out the discount parameters, funds from central marketing the national advertising, distribution and artwork for the coupons. The franchisee pays for local distribution, and the redemption value.

But for the franchisee, their cost isn't the same as face value. In a typical restaurant, food cost is about 30% of the price. Facilities are 30% and Labor is 30% with 10% as the pre-tax profit.

Stephen

Sorry used CFA. I know better.

Most good companies have an employee welfare fund (it is called different names, at different companies) and it is funded by our purchases. I wonder if those that complain about NCL's welfare fund being funded by the DSC, complain to these other corporations that do the same thing, because last time I made a purchased, no one asked me if I cared if a portion of my purchase went to the employee welfare fund. What people don't get is that we pay for everything with our purchases, etc., the company doesn't pay a darn thing.

It's not relevant. When I shop in a store there is no part of the price that is a tip which is discretionary that can be removed for the asking.

Whenever I make a voluntary contribution I have a right to know where it's going. If there is no answer or the answers are vague I don't have every right not to give. Easy.

I do have firsthand knowledge.

When you go out to a restaurant at home and you leave your 15 or 20 or whatever percent, do you ask how that is distributed, do you ask what percentage the runner who brings your food gets, how about the busses, or the bartender, do you ask how much they get?

Unless you are a server on NCL or work in the corporate office what is your "first hand knowledge"?

I've never been to a restaurant that charges a discretionary service charge and also expects a gratuity on top of that....

Unless you are a server on NCL or work in the corporate office what is your "first hand knowledge"?

It is probably the same as those who say it is a money grab, but have no proof. No one here knows how the systems works, no matter what they say. Edited by NLH Arizona

We sent in the paper work to adjust tips on our recent cruise. No big deal, we prefer to use cash and left some for the behind the scenes people. I'm not looking for a debate on tipping, however it's been 2 weeks and still no refund. I guess I'll adjust through the credit card. Anyone else have this happen?

Mine took 18 days. I got a confirmation email when I sent in my form.

I called after 2 weeks with the confirmation number on the email and they said they had it and it was processing. A few days later I had the refund. It was very easy.

if you never received a confirmation email resend your form. maybe they missed it.

I've never been to a restaurant that charges a discretionary service charge and also expects a gratuity on top of that....

What if one of your best friends works for NCL? That should count more than people who have zero knowledge, shouldn't it?

How much of the cost of your new car was discretionary when you drive it off the lot?

Do they ask you to contribute to a bus drivers welfare fund when you get off the bus in Canada?

100% of the cost of the car is discretionary. I chose to purchase it, and I negotiated the purchase price. How that price is in turn allocated to the Rep, the Dealer, the transport company, the warehouse, the manufacturer, designer, etc. is none of my concern.

Sorry used CFA. I know better.

I know. ;)

The only person who had posted on here about doing the paperwork got his refund in two weeks. But I'd suggest you wait at least two more weeks since refunds of any sort are often slow.

I doubt you'd be able to get an adjustment for it through your credit card for this type of refund.

It took 19 posts before someone replied with a legitimate answer to the legitimate question posted in the base note. In between were 18 comments about "drama" and "hot buttons" all of which were entered by those who object to anyone not paying the DSC.

As of this post, there are 122 posts in this thread. The only posts that actually answer the question asked are # 19, 21, 22, 24, 44, 81, and 116. 7 out of 122. Roughly 5% of the posts actually addressed the question that was asked.

It's a darn shame this forum is being overrun with this sort of nonsense.

Edited by PATRLR

Ok you adjusted your dsc, why do you need to announce it? You said you're not looking for a debate but what did you think was going to happen?? People on both sides feel strongly about this.

The only thing in question here is if anyone else didn't get their refund in a timely manner.

The rest of the posts are mostly those trying to start arguments.

Maybe your children are all way better behaved and less accident prone than mine ever were, but I always thought I should tip extra for the youngest ones, not less, and we usually did. I felt like I was forever asking for things that required extra work, i.e., kid threw up or had an accident, need sheets changed; kid spilled soda, dropped food on the floor, or knocked over something on table, all requiring clean-up; kid's aim is bad and he missed toilet and hit wall and floor, or towels, need extra bathroom clean-up (and more towels); kid didn't want anything on dinner menu and I had to ask for something special; kid lost pool towel and we need another (now they charge you for them -- before you could just get another one), and on and on. Plus, when our kids were young the cabin was always a pigsty, with their toys and other stuff strewn all around, making it more difficult for the stewards to clean. I hate to think it was just our kids, but maybe it was....

Terry

I am so glad our kids never encountered your kids!!;)

What bothers me is if they removed certain positions from the DSC why did they raise the price? It should have gone down since its being distributed to less people.

My thoughts exactly, and confirms to me that the "double grab" mentioned by some other posters is indeed the NCL policy. I believe that those who are arguing the rationale for this actually do realise it does not stand up to scrutiny.

It took 19 posts before someone replied with a legitimate answer to the legitimate question posted in the base note. In between were 18 comments about "drama" and "hot buttons" all of which were entered by those who object to anyone not paying the DSC.

As of this post, there are 122 posts in this thread. The only posts that actually answer the question asked are # 19, 21, 22, 24, 44, 81, and 116. 7 out of 122. Roughly 5% of the posts actually addressed the question that was asked.

Wow, 122 posts has suddenly been reduced by 10 or more....moderator at work?

Yep. And if you notice many of the posts are folks arguing with each other, totally ignoring the original question.

Edited by NMLady

You must be having a really slow day at work. ;)

Exactly. They make more of a mess, use towels, sheets and dishes. So why not tip? Hmmm I never understood this logic that kids don't need to tip as much or at all

Geri

So for a 7 night Escape cruise if we get great service I was planning on giving the cabin steward an extra $70 cash on top of the service fee for my mom, my son and me. Is this add'l cash amount in the range of what others leave?

What is funny is that my mother is a neurotic clean freak and travels with travel size cleaning kits everywhere she goes - this room steward will not have much to do as she even makes the beds and cleans the bathroom each morning and night. On the first day of the cruise I will have to leave the door open as that is full can of Lysol day :confused:

Edited by duchesslt

Typical of any question about tipping, though the abuse has been slightly less than normal.

Why are so many who post on these boards concerned about how others tip ??

In my opinion it's caused by the same issue that causes many of the things wrong in the world today.

We live in a society that is all about "me me me".

And if you aren't tipping my way, you are saying I'm wrong and because it is all me me me I can't be wrong so I'm upset because you say I am.

So you must do it my way.

Why are so many who post on these boards concerned about how others tip ??

Might not a better question be: why are so many who don't tip or pay the DSC, so concerned in letting others know?

I tip the way I decide I want to, nope not gonna say how that is. However, I will say that to me, the DSC has naught to do with tips and everything to do with business as usual IMO. That's just how I do things.

Edited by All-ready2cruise

Might not a better question be: why are so many who don't tip or pay the DSC, so concerned in letting others know?

I tip the way I decide I want to, nope not gonna say how that is. However, I will say that to me, the DSC has naught to do with tips and everything to do with business as usual IMO. That's just how I do things.

O it's not a better question because even if someone says something like "I want to remove the DSC and tip in cash" (they're not saying they aren't going to tip) the tipping police attack.