Wheelchair vs. Scooter

sross6019

We will be on the Allure with my mother in law. She usually uses a wheeled walker with a seat and we are taking a wheelchair for her. Due to the size of the Allure should we rent a scooter for her to get around the ship. She is in fairly good shape except has difficulty walking long distances.

Earlier this month on Allure there were over 20 wheelchairs for use throughout the cruise. They were lined up near guest services. I'm not sure if they are first come first serve. My mom uses a scooter and she would not be able to see a much trying to walk around the Allure.

In the past cruise lines have said wheelchairs were for embarkation only. I'm not certain if Allure is different due to the size of the ship.

We were on The Allure back in September and there was a gentleman in the cabin opposite us who had a scooter, it was outside his room for the first few nights, then he was taking it into his room from then on! don't know if he was told to take it in? but the couple struggled to get it through the door, so make sure it will fit through the door

I was just on the Allure at the beginning of this month. My mother has some mobility issues but can usually get around with her walker with a seat. We brought the walker with us but we also rented a scooter just in case as it wasn't too big of an expense in comparison to the price of the whole trip.

We are SO GLAD we had that scooter! We didn't use the walker at all, that ship is way too big for my mom. The scooter was an absolute lifesaver and my mom was able to do everything she wanted with no problem at all!

She had never used a scooter before but it was very easy to learn and she only ran over my foot once. [emoji51]

We were worried about elevators but as long as we were patient, we didn't have to wait too long for an empty-ish one. We didn't have an accessible stateroom but we were given permission to leave the scooter out in the hallway at night. There was no place to charge it but you can call guest services at night and they will take it down to charge it for you overnight and deliver it back before morning which is very convenient. We only had to do that once.

My mom is a dialysis patient and had to have her treatment three times very early in the morning, and she was able to take the scooter down to the clinic by herself and had no trouble.

My mom had a great experience on the Allure and the scooter was a big part of the reason she had so much fun. We will definitely rent again in the future. :)

I was just on the Allure at the beginning of this month. My mother has some mobility issues but can usually get around with her walker with a seat. We brought the walker with us but we also rented a scooter just in case as it wasn't too big of an expense in comparison to the price of the whole trip.

We are SO GLAD we had that scooter! We didn't use the walker at all, that ship is way too big for my mom. The scooter was an absolute lifesaver and my mom was able to do everything she wanted with no problem at all!

She had never used a scooter before but it was very easy to learn and she only ran over my foot once. [emoji51]

We were worried about elevators but as long as we were patient, we didn't have to wait too long for an empty-ish one. We didn't have an accessible stateroom but we were given permission to leave the scooter out in the hallway at night. There was no place to charge it but you can call guest services at night and they will take it down to charge it for you overnight and deliver it back before morning which is very convenient. We only had to do that once.

My mom is a dialysis patient and had to have her treatment three times very early in the morning, and she was able to take the scooter down to the clinic by herself and had no trouble.

My mom had a great experience on the Allure and the scooter was a big part of the reason she had so much fun. We will definitely rent again in the future. :)

Wow. I'm glad there was not some kind of emergency. I cannot imagine trying to navigate a narrow ship hallway in an emergency with a scooter parked outside. Very surprised they allowed this.

It was not any more narrow than when people have their suitcases outside of the rooms, or when housekeeping has their supply carts in the hallway. I saw a handful of other scooters parked outside of the rooms through the week so clearly RCI does not have a problem with it (as I said, we got permission), so neither should you.

No one here can make a single post without someone else ringing alarms and trying to police everyone.

Edited by pharaoh

It was not any more narrow than when people have their suitcases outside of the rooms, or when housekeeping has their supply carts in the hallway. I saw a handful of other scooters parked outside of the rooms through the week so clearly RCI does not have a problem with it (as I said, we got permission), so neither should you.

No one here can make a single post without someone else ringing alarms and trying to police everyone.

And you're trying to police my thoughts. I CAN feel uncomfortable knowing that a cruiseline is fine with things being parked in the hallway for indefinite amounts of time - suitcases and cleaning carts ARE removed and not left there overnight. And there ARE cruiselines that recognize that leaving scooters/strollers/etc. in the narrow hallways overnight and at all hours IS an inconvenience and hazard and require that they be put in the stateroom.

I'm not canceling my Brilliance cruise for this summer - I've got too much non-refundable stuff booked - but I am seeing more and more that gives me pause about cruising on Royal beyond that.

I recently broke my left leg and left elbow messed up to due to a fall. I plan on renting a scooter for my oasis cruise in a couple weeks. My question is how crowded did it make the cabin? We have a ocean view balcony. Also, I'm still using a wheelchair and just started with a walker yesterday. Can't put weight on left leg yet. Another question is whether I can get into the bathroom as I know it's narrow and has a step up. I guess I will figure that out...sure wish I could get a handicap room but I call 6 times since this happened on Halloween and no such luck. I even considered a JS and pay $2300 more to upgrade.

We will be on the Allure with my mother in law. She usually uses a wheeled walker with a seat and we are taking a wheelchair for her. Due to the size of the Allure should we rent a scooter for her to get around the ship. She is in fairly good shape except has difficulty walking long distances.

Hi,

If I were you I would contact RCI Special Needs dept (e-mail address is on their web site) and discuss with them whether a mobility scooter will fit into the cabin you have booked, it may mean you need an accessible cabin if you decide to take/rent one.

If your mother has never used a scooter I would get her to try one out before you rent as she may not like it. Take her to a mobility shop on the pretext of buying one.

Another source of feedback would be on the "Disability Section" on the forum.

Hope this helps

Pete

I recently broke my left leg and left elbow messed up to due to a fall. I plan on renting a scooter for my oasis cruise in a couple weeks. My question is how crowded did it make the cabin? We have a ocean view balcony.

Ooh I'm sorry about your injury. That's rough. :(

The scooter won't fit comfortably in the room OV balcony, which is the same room I had. If the configuration of your room is with the bed closest to the window, then you might get away with leaving the scooter by the couch if you move the coffee table out of the way.

If the bed is next to the closet, forget it. The space between the bed and the wall is too narrow to pass the scooter through unless you disassemble every time, which is a pain in the neck.

ASSISTIVE DEVICES Do you provide wheelchairs or scooters? We provide complimentary wheelchairs for getting on and off the ship. If you require a wheelchair or scooter during the cruise, you can bring your own or rent one from a company that provides rentals for cruises. Can I bring my own assistive devices with me? Yes, you may bring and use wheelchairs, mobility scooters, walkers, canes and other assistive devices onboard our ships. Due to safety reasons, Segways® may not be used onboard. Must I store my assistive device in my stateroom? Yes, assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation.

Can

Yes, that was already covered by another poster above, setsail, but thank you for continuing to beat a dead horse.

All I said was that we were unaware of the rule as we were told by our stateroom attendant and by guest services that it was okay for us to leave it outside, so we did so. Live and learn. No one died (SHOCKINGLY, as we created such an obstacle, I now know.)

A pride travel scooter should fit through a regular cabin door. You could also bring her walker to be used in the cabin. Check with the cruise line's special needs department. Also, if you do bring a wheelchair, try not to have a transport chair with tiny wheels. They are a bear to push over ACRES

Of carpeting, and your m.i.l. Would be totally immobile if you had to park her. At least with large wheels the occupant can move if necessary. Have fun!

My mom is quite mobile but due to significant arthritis has difficulty walking long distances. With a bit of convincing we rented her a scooter from a Fort Lauderdale shop that delivered it to the cabin and picked it up from the cabin. Incredible service. She sooooooo appreciated the scooter and it allowed her to not get overtired on excursions and tootling around the ship. I have about seven or eight toes left...but that's why we were given ten. :)

The cabin was big enough to have the scooter inside the cabin.

We have subsequently bought her a GoGo Elite traveler. It is easily taken on planes.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Yes, that was already covered by another poster above, setsail, but thank you for continuing to beat a dead horse.

All I said was that we were unaware of the rule as we were told by our stateroom attendant and by guest services that it was okay for us to leave it outside, so we did so. Live and learn. No one died (SHOCKINGLY, as we created such an obstacle, I now know.)

I was told the same on one cruise.

It seems the only thing consistent on many lines is the inconsistency.