When did Margaritaville become a specialty on Escape?

dna529

I don't know which is worse - NCL pulling another fast one, or the apologists ...

Fair question lol. I don't sail on Escape until May, and I just have this sense of foreboding over what else will change (read: cost extra) between now and then... Will my UBP still be unlimited? Will there be an extra fee to make reservations? Will prices suddenly appear on the menu at O'Sheehans one day?

Unfortunately, nothing would surprise me with the way NCL is going right now. Hoping they prove me wrong and give us an excellent cruise.

Edited by Dave85

Fair question lol. I don't sail on Escape until May, and I just have this sense of foreboding over what else will change (read: cost extra) between now and then... Will my UBP still be unlimited? Will there be an extra fee to make reservations? Will prices suddenly appear on the menu at O'Sheehans one day?

Unfortunately, nothing would surprise me with the way NCL is going right now. Hoping they prove me wrong and give us an excellent cruise.

Don't forget that new thread that just popped up threatening "MDR packages".

The way it has been going, I would not be the least bit surprised if one day, soon, the only "free" dining option is the buffet.

Well the burger on the ship will come to 8.25 with the 18%. In his land based it is $20.15 with tax. So there is a rather large discount by buying it on the ship. Only you can decide if you're interested. It is an option of course not mandatory.

Sounds like there are quite a few on here that are claiming to have only booked this cruise ship for Jimmy's place? If that's so, why not skip the cruise and use some of that money to go buy his $20 hamburger on land? Like all the other complaints, there is plenty of "free" food on board, same for "free" drinks and "free" entertainment. Why not take advantage of that and let the folks that want to buy an $8 hamburger go buy one?:confused:I like the earlier post that mentions that Kevin S. wanted this to be free, but the new management wants the money. Margaritaville and the cost/no cost was not even a glimmer in the eye of Kevin. He was long gone before this was decided. It's a specialty venue, NCL charges for specialty venues. And I'm sure everyone knows a percentage of every burger goes to Jimmy, not all for NCL?

Margaritaville land menu says burgers and fries are $12.25.

Margaritaville land menu says burgers and fries are $12.25.

He just makes stuff up. He sounds all indignant and like he knows better, but he clearly doesn't.

Here's the announcement that Kevin Sheehan made of Margaritaville going on th Escape, that rvsullivan said "Margaritaville and the cost/no cost was not even a glimmer in the eye of Kevin. He was long gone before this was decided"

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Escape-getting-Margaritaville-restaurant

The new menu with pricing was just posted on another site. Burgers $6.99, most sandwiches between $6.99 - $8.99, margaritas $10.95, key lime pie $3.99.

Tracy

Why on EARTH would I pay that ON TOP of the cruise fare when I could just go to a land-based Margaritaville? And, quite frankly, I don't seek those out!

I haven't even begun to read this thread and I am just throwing my hands up yet again. I booked my cruise over a year out and everything from the top down has changed in that time. Unfortunately I still have 2 FCC's to use after this.

Since Carnival is bringing better ships and itineraries to Charleston I am regretting having bought those FCC's. I have very limited time and money to be having my pre-planned vacation changed so much since booking...

Not that I'm on the Escape, mind you. I am on the Spirit in February but I am speaking of NCL as a whole here

Edited by Medtech2

Why on EARTH would I pay that ON TOP of the cruise fare when I could just go to a land-based Margaritaville? And, quite frankly, I don't seek those out!

I haven't even begun to read this thread and I am just throwing my hands up yet again. I booked my cruise over a year out and everything from the top down has changed in that time. Unfortunately I still have 2 FCC's to use after this.

Since Carnival is bringing better ships and itineraries to Charleston I am regretting having bought those FCC's. I have very limited time and money to be having my pre-planned vacation changed so much since booking...

Not that I'm on the Escape, mind you. I am on the Spirit in February but I am speaking of NCL as a whole here

Interesting -- last time I looked at Charleston it was still "oldest ship in Carnival fleet". I'll have to check that out.

Edit: I did some poking and I can only find cruises on the Ecstasy, which seems to be 25 years old. Can you give me any other details? Charleston is the only port in my driving distance and so far the offerings seem kind of grim.

Edited by perditax

Interesting -- last time I looked at Charleston it was still "oldest ship in Carnival fleet". I'll have to check that out.

Edit: I did some poking and I can only find cruises on the Ecstasy, which seems to be 25 years old. Can you give me any other details? Charleston is the only port in my driving distance and so far the offerings seem kind of grim.

They are planning on bringing the second oldest not refurbished since '09 - I had looked into it.

They are planning on bringing the second oldest not refurbished since '09 - I had looked into it.

I guess either the cruise lines don't believe in the buying power of this region (which is weird because I see TONS of cruisers posting here from the RTP area, ~3 hrs away), or else the local SC government isn't motivated to expand port facilities.

Carnival Sunshine also some "Carnival Journeys" programs. Re-added Bermuda.

Port renovation is being held up by a small minority of deep pockets who keep suing everybody. Trust me, both the City and Carnival want the renovation!

He just makes stuff up. He sounds all indignant and like he knows better, but he clearly doesn't.

Here's the announcement that Kevin Sheehan made of Margaritaville going on th Escape, that rvsullivan said "Margaritaville and the cost/no cost was not even a glimmer in the eye of Kevin. He was long gone before this was decided"

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Escape-getting-Margaritaville-restaurant

I was also trying to figure out his math. If the burgers/sandwiches are 6.99-10.99, the fries/coleslaw/sides are 2.99 each if you had a mid-range burger, fries, and coleslaw plus the 18% that's $17.70 without desert or apps. That's not much less expensive than the $20 he's claiming a land meal to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was also trying to figure out his math. If the burgers/sandwiches are 6.99-10.99, the fries/coleslaw/sides are 2.99 each if you had a mid-range burger, fries, and coleslaw plus the 18% that's $17.70 without desert or apps. That's not much less expensive than the $20 he's claiming a land meal to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we were on the 3-night cruise, the burger was served with fries. Doesn't negate the ridiculousness of the extra charge though.

Edited by Lily815

I was in the 7 day inaugural and waited 60 minutes the first time and 90 minutes the second time. I raved about the food, but that was when it was free. I have been to it on land and hated it, but it's just something different at sea.

There is no way I would pay for this restaurant. Go to Food Republic instead.

I guess either the cruise lines don't believe in the buying power of this region (which is weird because I see TONS of cruisers posting here from the RTP area, ~3 hrs away), or else the local SC government isn't motivated to expand port facilities.

I think I read about the Charleston residents putting up a fight about a new/rebuilt port. But FYI - Crystal Cruise has plans for a SICK itinerary out of Charleston in 2017:

http://www.crystalcruises.com/holiday-cruises/round-trip-charleston--7333

The way it has been going, I would not be the least bit surprised if one day, soon, the only "free" dining option is the buffet.

That is exactly where the cruiselines are going, Never would have happened if people did not pay for what was already included in thier cruise fare:(

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

That is absurd beyond belief. you don't pay $1K per person to enter Margaritaville on land:rolleyes:

Margaritaville on land didn't advertise it self as being complimentary for over a a year:rolleyes:

If the issue was being able to provide decent service they should have upped the staff and added hours.

They branded the former Uptown Grill as Margaritaville to have a name brand to attract people to the ship. Now they flip on the charges. Pure bait and switch.

I agree with you .

Someone has said on here a few times that if NCL greeted people that were coming on board with a frying pan upside their head, there would still be people on here defending them doing it and saying what a wondrous idea that is and how innovative of them to do it!!!:rolleyes:

http://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-adds-cover-charge-to-margaritaville/

This article state that guests were notified by email of the changes. I have NOT received any notification - have you?? :mad:

I booked directly with NCL, sail today, and still no email. Maybe it will come later today. All is good because I am going to have a great time without the nachos. Hmmm, I can always try to make some with the buffet offerings. ☺

Edited by Sunset Lover 1971

I agree. The food at Margaritaville is not that good anyway.

I agree with you. In my opinion there was nothing about either Margaritaville restaurant or the 5 O'Clock bars that gave off that authentic Jimmy Buffett vibe. Same could be said for the Tobacco Road bar. To me, it's just Maltings with different signage.

Bottom line is that there are plenty of free dining options on board that offer good food.

Tracy

I agree with you .

Someone has said on here a few times that if NCL greeted people that were coming on board with a frying pan upside their head, there would still be people on here defending them doing it and saying what a wondrous idea that is and how innovative of them to do it!!!:rolleyes:

I know it is wrong but this made me crack up this morning:D

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598