Need Texas to AU Airfare Help

knittinggirl

Which would be the best way to fly to AU? For us, it involves a flight to a hub, then to AU if we're lucky. We're thinking we'll need about a week worth of hotel in various places to get us to and from Sydney.

1. Book Coach, then upgrade long leg to a better seat. Economy Plus or Business.

2. Book Coach, then get airline credit card and use points to upgrade.

3. Book Business or Economy Plus right away.

4. Another option I haven't thought of.

Flight options:

1. DFW nonstop to Sydney if it's available. We'd probably stay in DFW before and after the long flight.

2. Home to Hawaii stay the night, then Hawaii to Sydney

3. LAX to Sydney.

4. Something I haven't thought of.

Which would be the best way to fly to AU? For us, it involves a flight to a hub, then to AU if we're lucky. We're thinking we'll need about a week worth of hotel in various places to get us to and from Sydney.

1. Book Coach, then upgrade long leg to a better seat. Economy Plus or Business.

2. Book Coach, then get airline credit card and use points to upgrade.

3. Book Business or Economy Plus right away.

4. Another option I haven't thought of.

Flight options:

1. DFW nonstop to Sydney if it's available. We'd probably stay in DFW before and after the long flight.

2. Home to Hawaii stay the night, then Hawaii to Sydney

3. LAX to Sydney.

4. Something I haven't thought of.

When are you going? Assuming it's during the southern summer/cruise season, just be advised that upgrades and business or premium economy awards are usually extremely difficult to get. I won't say "impossible" because nothing is, but "long shot" isn't strong enough. In addition, some airlines require the "underlying" coach ticket be in a fare category that's more expensive than most.

There's nonstop service on Qantas from DFW to Sydney; they offer business class as well as premium economy (which is a completely different type of seat than United's "economy plus" or American's "main cabin extra" which are just added-legroom coach) in addition to ordinary economy.

Otherwise, gateways to Australia from the North America mainland are LAX, SFO and Vancouver BC, as well as one-stop service from JFK. You can also fly from Honolulu to Australia, but usually a stopover en route will bump the price considerably.

I know this might sound strange, but if you mention where and when you're traveling before or after the Australia trip - up to a year in either direction - there might be a way to plan a series of flights using a "circle" or "round the world" airline ticket that would let you save a lot of money if you want to travel in more comfortable surroundings. But it's all in the details, so if you feel comfortable in mentioning when and where you're planning to go, it might help.

consider a flight or even from W texas, a train to LA or SF

Look at this route... Lax via Tokyo to BKK on Aisiana then Thai Bangkok to Brisbane ( way more seat options and availability for Miles....quit thinking Sydney...Brisbane is a few hours by train north.

The stoppver in Hawaii....if its on Hawaiian airlines theflight will be awful don't consider that HA is an option....terrible equipment not modern uses old seats in new planes......

Any way youcan breakup the 15 to 18 hours in a plane is going to be better.The non stop from DFW is almost 17 hours and the dehydration that results from 13 from Lax is bad but 17 is really grim....

You want to get lieflat seats... I have made this trip many times. and coach , even the premium coach seats are hell after 10 hours.... trust me you want lie flat seats. Otherwise you will spend days recovering and have a increased risk of getting sick from thedehydration its like 3% humidity.

consider a flight or even from W texas, a train to LA or SF

Look at this route... Lax via Tokyo to BKK on Aisiana then Thai Bangkok to Brisbane ( way more seat options and availability for Miles....quit thinking Sydney...Brisbane is a few hours by train north.

The stoppver in Hawaii....if its on Hawaiian airlines theflight will be awful don't consider that HA is an option....terrible equipment not modern uses old seats in new planes......

Any way youcan breakup the 15 to 18 hours in a plane is going to be better.The non stop from DFW is almost 17 hours and the dehydration that results from 13 from Lax is bad but 17 is really grim....

You want to get lieflat seats... I have made this trip many times. and coach , even the premium coach seats are hell after 10 hours.... trust me you want lie flat seats. Otherwise you will spend days recovering and have a increased risk of getting sick from thedehydration its like 3% humidity.

What's a good price for a lie flat seat?

Our cruise is Feb to March 2017.

Good point about the dehydration! Been in the hospital a few times w/ dehydration.

Edited by knittinggirl

If you each open a Citicard American Airlines Advantage Platinum card, you will accrue 50k miles each based on a current offer. (You must have your Advantage Membership # before applying). You could also check out Barclaycard's Aviator which is affiliated with American Airlines and see what mileage perk they have.

Miles required at the saver level for business class when we booked using Advantage miles this past Feb. was 62.5k per person one way, but may be more for next year. Buying miles to make up the difference if needed, use your Advantage account for your husband's outbound flights and have him use his miles + purchase for his return flights = one r/t business for him . Then pay for your r/t business. It should be a lot less cash outlay this way than having to buy two r/t business.

Good Luck!

If you are not going until Feb/Mar 2017 you won't even be able to look at flights until about April 2016.

You also don't say where you are starting from. If you are close to DFW than the DFW-SYD direct on the flying kangaroo (Qantas) would be a no brainer to me. (The less flights the better. More flights = more potential issues.)..But, if you are closer to El Paso then a hop to LAX might work better as you would have more choices of both airlines and flights to SYD. (the DFW-SYD is only 1 per day).

The price of a biz class ticket is going to run you thousands of dollars. If you are going to use miles for a biz class ticket plan on at least 280k per person RT. (that is for American and using ONeworld. United is prob going to run you close to 350k or so). I am in the process on planning on a SYD vacation myself in early 2017 and I do find the occasional 62.5k for the trip there but at finding anythig other than 140k coming back is hard. (I'm just picking dates at random to check availability as I am still about 100k miles short right now and i'm only looking for 1 person with my flexible travel dates of Jan 1 to Dec 31.)

Edited by TruckerDave

If you are not going until Feb/Mar 2017 you won't even be able to look at flights until about April 2016.

You also don't say where you are starting from. If you are close to DFW than the DFW-SYD direct on the flying kangaroo (Qantas) would be a no brainer to me. (The less flights the better. More flights = more potential issues.)..But, if you are closer to El Paso then a hop to LAX might work better as you would have more choices of both airlines and flights to SYD. (the DFW-SYD is only 1 per day).

The price of a biz class ticket is going to run you thousands of dollars. If you are going to use miles for a biz class ticket plan on at least 280k per person RT. (that is for American and using ONeworld. United is prob going to run you close to 350k or so). I am in the process on planning on a SYD vacation myself in early 2017 and I do find the occasional 62.5k for the trip there but at finding anythig other than 140k coming back is hard. (I'm just picking dates at random to check availability as I am still about 100k miles short right now and i'm only looking for 1 person with my flexible travel dates of Jan 1 to Dec 31.)

Each of you will pickup about 53,000 miles then purchase 200,000 miles at 2.2 cents from a sale they have going on at AA... plus the give a 60% bonus on top. so for about 4500.00 you can get a rt business..... that would run 6000 to 7000.

Seriously I am not a fan of the super long hauls... maybe ina 787 which has 15% humidity.... But total seat time on one plane has a terrible price on long hauls... you cant hydrate enough as moisture flows out of every pore.

Each of you will pickup about 53,000 miles then purchase 200,000 miles at 2.2 cents from a sale they have going on at AA... plus the give a 60% bonus on top. so for about 4500.00 you can get a rt business..... that would run 6000 to 7000.
Yes, but as I said above, using AA miles for premium cabin awards to Australia/New Zealand is extremely hard as availability is so limited. A big factor is that Qantas, AA's partner (and dominant carrier between the USA and Australia) allows its own frequent flyers an extra month of availability (365 instead of 330 days) in addition to being very stingy on making business class seats available at all. This is especially true during the cruise season (which is when the OP is planning to travel) as it's family summer vacation time in Oz.

Business class award seats DO come open now and then during the course of the booking window, but cruisers have date-specific needs and - generally - can't afford to play award calendar roulette with the airlines.

A couple of off-the-wall alternatives: I'm seeing business class round trips from Mexico City to Sydney for around US$3500 flying on Lan Chile (an excellent airline) via Santiago and across the southern Pacific.

Around the same price, maybe a tad less, is China Southern to Sydney from Vancouver via Guangzhou. A good quality airline (Skyteam alliance, partners with Delta) - here's a business class trip report - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1714510-china-southern-787-c-f-a380-c-between-china-n-america.html

Obviously for either of these, the OP would need to fly to MEX or YVR (maybe use miles) to "position" for these flights, but the final cost would be thousands less than Qantas or other nonstops from somewhere in the USA.

$3500 rt on LAN Flown LAN and its pretty darn good..... consider that its going to be about 1800 for coach.....and only 1700 more for business is outstanding.

I stress again, the average person has NO idea of what a 14-17 hour nonstop flight does to your body.....even in first class its not completely comfortable.

This is a time when you spend an extra$1700 to have a wonderful vacation, free from sickness and exhaustion that can easily result from being on such along haul.....it is cheap insurance for your sanity. Your probably only going to do this once so make it a good experience

I used to fly trans pacific monthly and the people I worked for insisted that I fly not less than Business or first because in coach I would be worthless to do any work either physical or mental

Other options are fly to Bangkok then to Brisbane ( 200 miles n of Sydney) and a great option Check Thai and Asiana airlines out of LAX or SFO....forget DFW

We have flown over the Pacific three times in the past three years.

My preference would be for a direct DFW to Sydney flight over any stops. Of course, price is a factor, not sure if direct flights are more expensive.

We flew Delta in 2013 and paid a little more for economy comfort. It seemed to help a little. Just dont' try doing the long flight in a middle seat.

We flew Delta in 2013 and paid a little more for economy comfort. It seemed to help a little. Just dont' try doing the long flight in a middle seat.
Of course, if the aisle seat is occupied by your darling spouse who lets you lean over and sleep on her shoulder.....

Nah, you're right....give me flat beds or give me death.....Patrick Henryflyer.

$3500 rt on LAN Flown LAN and its pretty darn good..... consider that its going to be about 1800 for coach.....and only 1700 more for business is outstanding.

I stress again, the average person has NO idea of what a 14-17 hour nonstop flight does to your body.....even in first class its not completely comfortable.

This is a time when you spend an extra$1700 to have a wonderful vacation, free from sickness and exhaustion that can easily result from being on such along haul.....it is cheap insurance for your sanity. Your probably only going to do this once so make it a good experience

I used to fly trans pacific monthly and the people I worked for insisted that I fly not less than Business or first because in coach I would be worthless to do any work either physical or mental

Other options are fly to Bangkok then to Brisbane ( 200 miles n of Sydney) and a great option Check Thai and Asiana airlines out of LAX or SFO....forget DFW

Hawaiidan, where is the Lan flt originating from for $3500? Want to make sure I understand the strategy you are sharing!

Hawaiidan, where is the Lan flt originating from for $3500? Want to make sure I understand the strategy you are sharing!

I have 2 choices...

LAN out of mexico city rt.... not far fromTexas rt $3500 fly down from SanAntonio etc

Look at BNE Brisbane or Melbourne cheaper than Sydney

amother choice is Hawaiian Lax to Honolulu coach its a 5 hour flight and not totally bad $530 RT tHEN Hawaiian to Brisbane BNE $2900....$3430 rt. OR ALL FIRST/BUSINESS ON hAWIIAN $4074 and you get a break in Hawaii going and coming... Hawaii doesn't have lie flats at last check.

Next choice is SOUTH CHINA FROM lAX $5249

I ADMIRE the guy who flew 3 times DFW to SYD on the nonstop.....what was his age? was he on meds...physical condition...

NOT me....I am 60+ and give me a lie flat or forget it....it will tear a normal middle age person up bad...

I actually found that fare, in post no. 9 above, originating in Mexico City. However if I were the OP I'd probably look instead at China Southern out of Vancouver, which for February of 2016 (which is a year before the OP is traveling, hence not super reliable) offers round trips to Sydney for US$3300. Flying to Vancouver would be easier from west Texas (around $300 RT in economy) and China Southern is a competent airline.

Note Hawaiian Airlines first/business class is similar to domestic first class in the US - recliners, not beds, and the OP asked about lie-flats.

We will have a 61 and a 69 year old flying.

Hey kiddo... here is an off the wall idea......how about looking at a cruise that is sailing from the US to Australia around that time.... fares pretty close to air and much much more comfy Too, look at a Australia to the USA you save doing it either way..... Trans pacific theway to go...I do that for Europe ...fly one way... cruise back the other. You might have a week to kill inAustralia to connect....

Think about it....think out of the box

Nah, you're right....give me flat beds or give me death.....Patrick Henryflyer.

:D

We will have a 61 and a 69 year old flying.

My mother is only just shy of the younger of those years and would be mortified that her age would be a consideration in terms of travel. You make it sound as if you're talking someone who is 161yrs old!

Hey kiddo... here is an off the wall idea......how about looking at a cruise that is sailing from the US to Australia around that time.... fares pretty close to air and much much more comfy Too, look at a Australia to the USA you save doing it either way..... Trans pacific theway to go...I do that for Europe ...fly one way... cruise back the other. You might have a week to kill inAustralia to connect....

Think about it....think out of the box

We took a freighter from Auckland to San Francisco some years ago. Best. Trip. Ever.

Stopped in Fiji en route -

fiji0301ob.jpg

... and sailed under the Golden Gate bridge on Christmas Eve -

colcalsunset2.jpg

I did Hong Kong to SFO at age 29 and it was pretty bad even then. We flew 5 hours Hong Kong to Tokyo, Tokyo to Hawaii, and Hawaii to SFO.

We're also considering a San Diego to Sydney - > Auckland crossing, mostly NZ. We'll have to see what opens up in 2017. Personally, I didn't like the Feb/March then getting on a ship in May. Also, a fall crossing will get me away from some of allergy season here. If we can get a nonstop, that's only 8 1/2 hours to HNL.

Edited by knittinggirl

Last April we needed a one way home from Sydney to Calgary. DW had experienced a broken back while in KL so she was reluctant to get home all in one day. The one way fares were actually reasonable, many being slightly over half of a return fare.

But, we booked on Jetstar(regular economy seats), a budget airline owned by Qantas. It turned out to be a codeshare...there were people beside us who had booked the same flight on Qantas and paid substantially more for the same seats. Our fare was slightly under $600. Australian. We do carry on so I cannot comment on the baggage fees but as I recall DW did pay a fee for the entertainment option.

We flew to Honolulu. Spent one night/two days there. We also had a one way home from Honolulu. Bottom line...we paid less in total for our two air fares plus our one night's accommodation (Priceline) that we would have if we had done a straight one way home.

We are using Jetstar again the winter for a flight in SE Asia. Very pleased with the flight, the service, and the pricing matrix.

Edited by iancal

Any pictures of your accommodations?;)

Cabins are small have a bed single...a desk and a head..... Meals simple.... there is a TV and games in a rec room.... no pool.... has a libairy and you can hang out on theBridge...... Hey, you could learn about the stars, navigation...stuff likethat.....things you would never think to learn.

Spent years in the Navy on the sea and air... and on 42 ft crusing sailboat... what you think today you really need....You find in reality, you don't.

When

it all boils down all you need is a shower, a bed a toilet and some coffey and hot chow.......all the rest is fluff.......nothing beats adventure like adventure.....

Cabins are small have a bed single...a desk and a head..... Meals simple.... there is a TV and games in a rec room.... no pool.... has a libairy and you can hang out on theBridge...... Hey, you could learn about the stars, navigation...stuff likethat.....things you would never think to learn.

Spent years in the Navy on the sea and air... and on 42 ft crusing sailboat... what you think today you really need....You find in reality, you don't.

When

it all boils down all you need is a shower, a bed a toilet and some coffey and hot chow.......all the rest is fluff.......nothing beats adventure like adventure.....

DH spent years in the Navy as well and often comments about how much better being a passenger is.:D And it's not about need - it's about want!

Gardyloo, thanks for posting the link. It looks like a really interesting way to see the world.

Edited by critterchick