Compensation for Riviera Nurovirus Cruise

RJB

We were on the original TA on the Riviera and experienced it first hand. There seems to be widespread agreement that regardless of whether the Noro was their fault or not, they handled the situation poorly. For comparison, let me tell you a story about a company that got it right.

In June of 2013 we were on a river cruise on the Danube, Vienna to Amsterdam, with Uniworld. We were two days out of Vienna when the worst flood in European history struck.

JMO but that is an unfair comparison

Oceania did step up on several occasions in the past due to natural disasters & other things out of their control

Iceland Volcano, Earthquake & fire on the Insignia just a few

While I do agree they should have provided free medical to those with NORO symptoms if only to get people to report in it probably would have saved a lot more people from becoming ill

It does sound like the cruise from hell

Edited by LHT28

You are joking, aren't you??

We are today getting off the "Plague Ship" called Riviera. The odour of Chlorine and antiseptic assails our senses. I feel VERY sorry for those getting on. Norovirus is Still on the ship with 3 more cases yesterday. Compensation? Try $100 each! That's for 3 weeks of bad service and a continued fear of catching the bug. Some Vacation! As for REAL compensation...THEY refer us to "Guest Serviced" All they want is for us to get off the ship and out of their hair!

We are today getting off the "Plague Ship" called Riviera. The odour of Chlorine and antiseptic assails our senses. I feel VERY sorry for those getting on. Norovirus is Still on the ship with 3 more cases yesterday. Compensation? Try $100 each! That's for 3 weeks of bad service and a continued fear of catching the bug. Some Vacation! As for REAL compensation...THEY refer us to "Guest Serviced" All they want is for us to get off the ship and out of their hair!

reminiscent of our cruise, sadly.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season - you have certainly earned it!

What popped out at me when reading Lord's post is "three more cases yesterday". Those passengers are - a)staying on for the next segment or b) travelling somewhere today! When will it end?

We have been on several cruises where there was Noro - it was dealt with in a very timely and professional manner and restrictions were eased within several days. The outbreak on the Riviera is going on too long, hopefully the passengers that embark today will get full enjoyment from their cruise - something that I feel we did not on our TA.

Just off the Riviera today. I'll be doing a full review later. Very disappointing cruise. Surely felt as if they couldn't wait to get us off the ship.

Disembarkation was horrendous! There was no assistance onboard for handicapped passengers. Passengers needing wheelchair assistance had to get off the ship in order to get a wheelchair. Getting my handicapped companions off was not easy.

Since we came into a different terminal than the one we left from, we had to take a shuttle to the parking garage. No one really knew where the shuttle was supposed to be. I had another car coming to help me get all the passengers and luggage back home. I called the driver, who was at a hotel three miles away, when we exited the terminal. He arrived at the terminal before the shuttle did! He drove me to the other parking area while the others in my party waited in the heat!

The entire disembarkation experience was frustrating, nerve wracking and exhausting. First time in a long time that I'm really happy to be home from a cruise. Once I rest up I'll do an objective review of the entire trip.

Just off the Riviera today. I'll be doing a full review later. Very disappointing cruise. Surely felt as if they couldn't wait to get us off the ship.

Disembarkation was horrendous! There was no assistance onboard for handicapped passengers. Passengers needing wheelchair assistance had to get off the ship in order to get a wheelchair. Getting my handicapped companions off was not easy.

Since we came into a different terminal than the one we left from, we had to take a shuttle to the parking garage. No one really knew where the shuttle was supposed to be. I had another car coming to help me get all the passengers and luggage back home. I called the driver, who was at a hotel three miles away, when we exited the terminal. He arrived at the terminal before the shuttle did! He drove me to the other parking area while the others in my party waited in the heat!

The entire disembarkation experience was frustrating, nerve wracking and exhausting. First time in a long time that I'm really happy to be home from a cruise. Once I rest up I'll do an objective review of the entire trip.

Wow, so sad. Just does not sound like Oceania. Would like to hear your review of the whole trip.

Just off the Riviera today, our 5th O cruise. Our big disappointment was the lack of serving staff in MDR, Waves, and Terrace. Serving staff in the specialty restaurants seemed to be okay. Possibly this was due to the ongoing "noro" situation, though it was never explained as such. One night in MDR 2 hours had gone by since we first sat down and the desert menus had not yet been given out. We left without same, as we wanted to make the 9:00PM show. Tables in Waves and Terrace stood unbussed for periods of time we had never experienced during our 4 previous O cruises.

I agree that they couldn't wait to get us off the ship yesterday. Did anyone else notice that they were not sanitizing the tables in Terrace Cafe yesterday morning? I guess it didn't matter to them if those of us getting off were exposed, since it wouldn't show up as an Oceania problem if we get sick after returning home.

My husband and I ,left the ship yesterday after the 10 day cruise.

I did notice in the Terrace Cafe ,yesterday ,only the place mats were being changed.

This was our 7th Oceania voyage ,the embarkation was long.

We were notified about the delay and arrived at the pier about 1:15,called to board about 2:30.After checking in, we were given numbers for boarding groups we were 5 and the numbers went to at least 23 with a long delay between groups.

After the mid cruise comment cards were read ,the Captain came on and stated that most passengers were concerned about the lack of information coming from Oceania concerning the noro virus.At that time we received daily updates,some reports of GI upset but most did not test positive for noro.

I will agree that by midday on the 11th ,they were clearing the rooms of everything ,glasses,robes and trays.

We have been delayed disembarking in Miami on previous cruises ,yesterday everything for us was smooth and we were out of the terminal by 8:10am

I do hope that if this was your first trip with Oceania ,that you give them one more try to show you that they can do a wonderful job .

The last morning it is always a rush to get people off

They have a lot of work to do in a short time & after the past 3 wks I will bet the crew were exhausted physically & mentally

They have to also report to immigration each time they return to the US port so that takes time as well

just the facts

There is no question that the last 2 segments on the Riviera were difficult (and atypical) cruises for everyone involved. It would also appear that Oceania didn't do everything right or at least not enough.

I can certainly understand that if this was someone's first experience on Oceania, they would be very disappointed and not inclined to return. I would feel the same way if this had been my first Oceania experience.

Having many O cruises behind me, I have all the confidence in them that this was a "one off" and that they will have learned much from this experience.

At the present, I have no hesitation in keeping my current future reservations as I have many years of O experience to lean on. At the same time, I do understand those new O customers that do not wish to return.

If this type of experience should become more common, I might change my mind as well.

Edited by Paulchili

There is no question that the last 2 segments on the Riviera were difficult (and atypical) cruises for everyone involved. It would also appear that Oceania didn't do everything right or at least not enough.

I can certainly understand that if this was someone's first experience on Oceania, they would be very disappointed and not inclined to return. I would feel the same way if this had been my first Oceania experience.

Having many O cruises behind me, I have all the confidence in them that this was a "one off" and that they will have learned much from this experience.

At the present, I have no hesitation in keeping my current future reservations as I have many years of O experience to lean on. At the same time, I do understand those new O customers that do not wish to return.

If this type of experience should become more common, I might change my mind as well.

I agree Paul

When we had many issues on our 2014 cruise I was ready to quit Oceania after several good cruises we decided to give them a another shot

In May the cruise was great up until DH took ill :mad:

This cruise seemed very bad compared to the normal cruise on O

Hearing that two women that were allowed to board when very ill has me wondering WHY they were permitted onboard in the first place :confused:

My husband and I were on the November TA. I agree with the service issues especially in the main dining room and terrace cafe. I do not go on a cruise to bus my own dishes or have to flag down waiters to get water. We have enjoyed much better service on our previous eight Oceania cruises. That being said, I still love the food, trivia and the pleasant passengers and plan to do the two Riviera cruises we have scheduled for next year. Hopefully, the norovirus will be gone by April and the service will improve. I have never heard as many negative comments about Oceania as I did on this last cruise. Things need to improve or the line will lose many customers! I still think the NCL connection is not helping things.

My husband and I were on the November TA. I agree with the service issues especially in the main dining room and terrace cafe. I do not go on a cruise to bus my own dishes or have to flag down waiters to get water. We have enjoyed much better service on our previous eight Oceania cruises. That being said, I still love the food, trivia and the pleasant passengers and plan to do the two Riviera cruises we have scheduled for next year. Hopefully, the norovirus will be gone by April and the service will improve. I have never heard as many negative comments about Oceania as I did on this last cruise. Things need to improve or the line will lose many customers! I still think the NCL connection is not helping things.

NCL has nothing to do with it. The founder of Oceania is the CEO of

NCLH. His handpicked executives are running Oceania. The controlling stockholders remain as before... Apollo and TPG Capital.

Edited by njhorseman

It's hard to please everyone - some complain that disembarkation took too long, others that "they couldn't wait to get us off the ship".

Just to clarify "they couldn't wait to get us off the ship" referred to the attitude and treatment by a number of crew which began the day before disembarkation, I believe. Nothing to do with the speed of disembarkation ;)

I agree that they couldn't wait to get us off the ship yesterday. Did anyone else notice that they were not sanitizing the tables in Terrace Cafe yesterday morning? I guess it didn't matter to them if those of us getting off were exposed, since it wouldn't show up as an Oceania problem if we get sick after returning home.

Yes, I'm sure that was their thinking and I'm sure it came on direct orders from NCL!

👿

Yes, I'm sure that was their thinking and I'm sure it came on direct orders from NCL!

Dave You were on Marina this summer when it had Noro

it did not seem to be as bad (service wise) as this cruise was reported to be

We got off the day the more intense cleaning started

Our friend managed to get it though

Edited by LHT28

Originally Posted by LAexNY View Post

You've got it backwards. The former Oceania CEO is in charge of NCLH and the day to day management of Oceania is run by Oceania executives, not NCL executives.

I suspect LAexNY was being sarcastic.

Edited by Paulchili

Originally Posted by LAexNY View Post

��

I suspect LAexNY was being sarcastic.

Thanks, Paul.

You got it.

David

Has the GM surfaced yet? Dominque was MIA on the Barcelona - Miami milk run. Lots of repeated public complaints were met with stony silence by management. Zippo response from him or his minions.

Is he hiding under a desk, avoiding upset passengers? Typically, Oceania GMs are out and about, visible and attentive, checking for stray martini glasses, cheerfully answering questions and suggestions. Present & accounted for & all that.

We missed you in November!

This was not a "one off" for Oceania. It was our 4th sailing with them, and the first two were great. The third was on the Riviera in Nov 2012, when there was also an awful Noro outbreak. The CDC reported 37 cases, but that was just the number that went to medical - there were at least ten times that! Oceania would not acknowledge what was happening until they got to that 3% number required by the CDC towards the end of the cruise. My husband was stricken early in the cruise and even passed out in the room in the middle of the night. When I called for help, they made sure I knew there was an extra charge for after hours.

That trip to medical cost us $677! They called it gastroenteritis, but no test was done to prove otherwise. We knew so many people who were sick but wouldn't go to medical, with charges like that. I knew someone else who was charged over $1200. Yes, some people didn't want to be quarantined, but that only lasted 24 hours. I don't remember any extra cleaning or sanitizing being done on that cruise, even after Norovirus was acknowledged. It was only the last two days that they didn't charge for a medical evaluation.

This cruise was so inferior and disappointing that I really believe Oceania owes us some form of reimbursement - it doesn't sound like that is going to happen.

It took three years for us to decide to give Oceania another try. Would you go back on Oceania, especially Riviera, if you were me?