Compensation for Riviera Nurovirus Cruise

RJB

Paul - we had four O bookings over the next 24 months. After disembarking in Miami, we cancelled one and are giving serious consideration to axe the remaining three.

I could not blame you if you decided to axe your remaining O cruises.

I am not sure what I would do in your situation - just hope that I never have to make that decision.

Happy cruising wherever you decide to cruise :)

Were they getting the same CAT Cabin as you??

It happens with airfare as well as cruises the closer to sail date prices drop

I would be upset also if I booked 18 mths out & someone booked a mth out got a better price

They had a B2 and I had a A3 I paid $4258 no internet or grats or OBC.and they booked in October !!!

I could not blame you if you decided to axe your remaining O cruises.

I am not sure what I would do in your situation - just hope that I never have to make that decision.

Happy cruising wherever you decide to cruise :)

Do what you think best. For now we will keep out booked cruises unless we continue to read these kinds of posts. Think this was the exception rather than the rule. :):)

Personally, I don't want a $200 credit for a future cruise purchase. I want assurance senior management is aware of the glaring deficiencies so commonplace on Riviera and is, in response, taking concrete steps to ensure the many problems we experienced will not recur on future cruises.

Management's silence was deafening on board. We disembarked 12 days ago - continued silence speaks about their commitment to loyal customers.

I think the above statement say's it all..........Rick

Feel quite lucky that nothing similar happened on the Marina crossing from Cape Town to Rio as my partner and I had little confidence in senior on board management.....neither the GM Yves Segers or the CD Ray Carr were visible. Neither of us saw the GM or the CD at all. Thankfully waiters, bar staff, and Butlers were all brilliant.

I wonder what they did with the cruise comment cards? Bet a good bunch landed up in the garbage. I brought mine home, filled it out and mailed it to Miami.

I wish I would have had as much fore sight as you.!

Just a reminder to post your ship experience reviews on the Cruise Critic review section. There are several up now that imho, illustrate the dismal situation that we experienced. I do think O pays attention to reviews posted.

Can't believe it has been almost three weeks since I started this thread and it is still going strong. Too bad that management has not responded in a positive way so we could feel better about future cruises on Oceania. We will try one more, but some of us may not and that would be the fault of a lack of a real response. :confused::confused::confused:

Can't believe it has been almost three weeks since I started this thread and it is still going strong. Too bad that management has not responded in a positive way so we could feel better about future cruises on Oceania. We will try one more, but some of us may not and that would be the fault of a lack of a real response. :confused::confused::confused:

They are not going to respond here or on any public forum

If someone is reading the word has gotten out to the" powers that be " if they were not aware of the problem (which I doubt) but do not expect a public response

It is not the good ole days anymore on Oceania ;)

If someone is reading the word has gotten out to the" powers that be " if they were not aware of the problem (which I doubt) but do not expect a public response

I cannot understand why any company that relies on its customers can completely disregard the many complaints that they must have had.

Without so much as one word of remorse for all the ruined holidays and once in a life time trips that were ruined by the short comings of the crew and management.

This is a complete disregard of people's feelings, there comes a time when one has to hold their hands up and say SORRY!

Without this Oceania will have tainted their image for ever as far as I am concerned.

Lets hope they are man enough to give some of their loyal customers a nice feeling and good will for the Christmas season.

I wrote a review of our dismal experience but it has not yet posted. Dibel & others who have posted Riviera reviews provide terrific summaries of the worst cruise we have ever had to endure. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so others can see for themselves!

New review up today - 2 stars on the 12/2 Riviera Miami cruise - scathing on management and the attitude, esp in Terrace. Strikingly similar to our Barcelona - Miami mess.

At least on the "S.S. Minnow" - Gilligan's Island leaky boat - The Skipper and Thurston Howell III would have been more fun, visible & proactive dealing with problems than Captain Gunner and GM Dominique.

Where were those two? Hiding under a desk? In their cabins avoiding the many complaints and unhappy passengers?

We live in the world of lawyers and getting money. Oceania will never admit a mistake less a lawsuit

This is truye, however a good company will always write a ptv letter to a customer. You don't have to admit a mistake to have good customer service. This seems to be lacking with "O" and that is sad.

Rick

We live in the world of lawyers and getting money. Oceania will never admit a mistake less a lawsuit[/quote

Sorry I don't know why a 2nd post.

This is true, however a good company will always write a ptv letter to a customer. You don't have to admit a mistake to have good customer service. This seems to be lacking with "O" and that is sad.

Rick

O.K. See your point, not on this board but I have not heard of any private responses either. Lets see how their cruises are going forward. We will go in Feb. and let everyone know how it worked out. Not ready to give up on O just yet. We have had too many great cruises in the past.

O.K. See your point, not on this board but I have not heard of any private responses either. Lets see how their cruises are going forward. We will go in Feb. and let everyone know how it worked out. Not ready to give up on O just yet. We have had too many great cruises in the past.

I know that sometimes people will get a private responses we were lucky when I complained a couple of years ago

I sent the complaint to my TA who sent to the right person at O, within a couple of hours I had a phone call from H.O.

We almost gave up on O after they tried to poison DH not once but twice at the same meal (hey that is my job) but we did give them another try a year later & up until DH got sick the cruise was just like the old days

We have now booked 2 for April

Will see what the future holds

We all have choices in life

Lyn

I know that sometimes people will get a private responses we were lucky when I complained a couple of years ago

I sent the complaint to my TA who sent to the right person at O, within a couple of hours I had a phone call from H.O.

We almost gave up on O after they tried to poison DH not once but twice at the same meal (hey that is my job) but we did give them another try a year later & up until DH got sick the cruise was just like the old days

Lyn

Hope it works out well for both of us. After Feb. we have one booked for July. Have a feeling that this was the exception and things will be back to what we expect from O. Sure hope so.

Lyn

By the way, where in the world do you get time for 28,200 posts? Do you have time to sleep? Keep up the good work. I like reading them. :):):)

Just a reminder to post your ship experience reviews on the Cruise Critic review section. There are several up now that imho, illustrate the dismal situation that we experienced. I do think O pays attention to reviews posted.

Good reminder. I thought your review was spot on. !

Quote:

Originally Posted by dibel View Post

Good reminder. I thought your review was spot on. !

Really?

OP's quote on cabin (rate given 3):

Cabin: Found it to be nicely appointed with lovely furnishings and the most comfortable beds/bedding. The bathroom is spacious and of course, the bathtub was a big attraction for me.

OP's quote on GYM (rate given 2):

Gym: Nicely furnished and never seemed crowded. It horrified me to see people coming and going with little attention to disinfecting. In particular, the lack of staff in the gym to enforce sanitation seemed ridiculous. There should have been someone assigned to the gym to maintain sanitary conditions. I went everday and was fastidious about wiping the equipment before and after use. Wish I could say the same for some of the other guests. Next to the gym is a separate room that is a pleasant place to practice yoga or pilates.

Shore excursions (rate given 1) - note - OP didn't even take a single shore ex:

Excursions: We generally don't do the cruise line excursions...prefer to book our own. Due to the fact that we were denied entry to Bermuda because of the Norovirus issue, the one excursion I had planned on was a moot point.

Public rooms (rate given 2):

Really - 2 for Riviera's public rooms? Where does this OP cruise that Riviera's public rooms rate only 2?

It seems that OP could not get away from the Noro problem, even when rating cabin and public rooms (or excursions that OP never took).

Edited by Paulchili

Paul Chili,

Why would you take it upon yourself to make a less than objective guess as to why I wrote "my" review? If you love Oceania, that's perfectly fine and I will not try to take apart your pro arguments. As for me, I am most definitely not a fan so I stand by my review 100%. Please don't try to twist my position to fit your own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dibel View Post

Really?

OP's quote on cabin (rate given 3):

Cabin: Found it to be nicely appointed with lovely furnishings and the most comfortable beds/bedding. The bathroom is spacious and of course, the bathtub was a big attraction for me.

OP's quote on GYM (rate given 2):

Gym: Nicely furnished and never seemed crowded. It horrified me to see people coming and going with little attention to disinfecting. In particular, the lack of staff in the gym to enforce sanitation seemed ridiculous. There should have been someone assigned to the gym to maintain sanitary conditions. I went everday and was fastidious about wiping the equipment before and after use. Wish I could say the same for some of the other guests. Next to the gym is a separate room that is a pleasant place to practice yoga or pilates.

Shore excursions (rate given 1) - note - OP didn't even take a single shore ex:

Excursions: We generally don't do the cruise line excursions...prefer to book our own. Due to the fact that we were denied entry to Bermuda because of the Norovirus issue, the one excursion I had planned on was a moot point.

Public rooms (rate given 2):

Really - 2 for Riviera's public rooms? Where does this OP cruise that Riviera's public rooms rate only 2?

It seems that OP could not get away from the Noro problem, even when rating cabin and public rooms (or excursions that OP never took).

Really?

I didn't know YOU were on the cruise. I guess we missed you:rolleyes:

sanitation of gym stuff is an issue with Noro - of course that would influence the review.

Public rooms - sure they are pretty but many of the chairs as beautiful as they look are NOT comfortable. I think they were built for larger people maybe????

chairs outside La Reserve (which we did), Privee and the Grand Bar are not very comfortable at all. So, if dibel had the same experience then I can see the rating on public rooms. There is more to a public room than looks. It is called comfort.

AND, if there were service issues then public rooms are not that great.

I don't pick apart anyone's review, but if I agree with the overall impression, I will say so.