Compensation for Riviera Nurovirus Cruise

RJB

Enjoyed your review, Jacqui....very factual.

Jacqui,

While we were lucky not to get sick our overall experience was similar to yours. Thank you for the review. Enjoyed meeting you and your DH. Best wishes on future cruises.

Barry

thanks, glad I wasn't alone in our experience.

It was our pleasure to meet you too and if the cruising Gods smile upon us, with luck we may cruise together again. It was our pleasure :)

Edited by kazu

Yet you've stopped cruising with them....

Pray, tell us more about why-

not Sail, but just to save her the pain of answering. She hasn't stopped cruising with HAL. She has just postponed. Her DH passed away so for her to foray into the world of a solo cruiser was difficult enough. To try to go on HAL that she and her DH had been on for more cruises that I can count would have been pushing the envelope so to speak and too hard to do with all the memories for her first cruise on her own. She had the opportunity to sail with friends who were going on NCL and that fit for her first solo cruise very well.

I am sure she will be back on HAL when she is ready.

Edited by kazu

When you do not know someone's circumstances please do not post! I mean this most sincerely. This thread is about compensation for those who were on the Riviera cruises affected by missed ports and Noro - let's leave the discussion along those lines please.

I do not see anything wrong is being asked why you no longer sail on a cruise line. If the reasons are personal, the poster can state that for themselves.

HAL is obviously part of Carnival....... do all of their ships refund for missed ports? While this is off the main topic in a way, it does speak to missing ports due to "noro" and/or other reasons. We have a sick passenger and missed a port. The communication on board is excellent. The increased speed of the ship (Regent Mariner) is costing the company $25,000/day more than if they were going regular speed. We will be docking in Rio in an hour - a day early (at an approximate docking cost of $75,000). Perhaps Regent should refund the docking fee for the one port and charge the passengers for the extra fuel and port charge? (Saying this tongue in cheek). And, BTW, it wasn't a docking port it was a tender port.

It is probably good to have passengers from this cruise vent. Hopefully, in a month or so they may see things differently....... or, perhaps they will change cruise lines -- so many choices.

Edited by Travelcat2

Port chargers have nothing to due with being paid for missing a port. In my experience most lines list them as a line item on the invoice and refund them if a port is missed. Oceania does not. Some people find this odd. It's like charging sales tax and not giving it to the government, but keeping it for yourself.

Port chargers have nothing to due with being paid for missing a port. In my experience most lines list them as a line item on the invoice and refund them if a port is missed. Oceania does not. Some people find this odd. It's like charging sales tax and not giving it to the government, but keeping it for yourself.

Mass market lines definitely itemize port charges.They are doing everything possible to lure customers based on a low advertised, tease price. They want the price to be as low as possible, 7 day cruises are often marketed for $399. The advertised price does not include port fees, government taxes, etc. Then once onboard you are charged for a myriad of items, ranging from bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffee, etc.

Port fees vary by location, previous refunds I've received have been in the five to ten dollar range. IMO not a big deal one way or the other.

Oceania does itemize or refund port fees but they also do not add port fees when one port is substituted for another. We've experienced both situations.

I've never been compensated for missed ports or illness on board.

Mass market lines definitely itemize port charges.They are doing everything possible to lure customers based on a low advertised, tease price. They want the price to be as low as possible, 7 day cruises are often marketed for $399. The advertised price does not include port fees, government taxes, etc. Then once onboard you are charged for a myriad of items, ranging from bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffee, etc.

Port fees vary by location, previous refunds I've received have been in the five to ten dollar range. IMO not a big deal one way or the other.

Oceania does itemize or refund port fees but they also do not add port fees when one port is substituted for another. We've experienced both situations.

I've never been compensated for missed ports or illness on board.

I have never seen an Oceania statement where they itemize port fees. Are you sure you have the right cruise line?

I have never seen an Oceania statement where they itemize port fees. Are you sure you have the right cruise line?

Uh oh, typo or auto correct on my part, thanks. Too late to edit the post.

Oceania does not itemize or refund port fees, unlike mass market lines.

I meant to say Oceania does NOT itemize or refund port fees, nor do they add port fees when one port is substituted for another.

I meant to say Oceania does NOT itemize or refund port fees, nor do they add port fees when one port is substituted for another.

No problem. Sounds like I sometimes write my posts. Happy Holidays :):)

You are correct - luxury cruise lines (or premium plus) do not itemize port fees. Most missed ports are due to weather (acts of God) or sick passengers (not usually caused by the cruise line). It sounds to me that some passengers want the cruise line to pay for anything that happens - whether it is their fault or not.

In terms of lack of communication or perceived reduced staff (Oceania has not reduced their staff - perhaps they were sick), it is truly unfortunate -- just as being sick on a cruise (for any reason) is sad.

After 20 years of international travel (before we began cruising in 2004), we understand that cruising is not for everyone. There are bound to be occasional missed ports, cruises (mainly during the winter) when many passengers are sick, etc. And, there are people who are upset with the ports they are visiting because they did not do research. For those of you upset with Oceania, perhaps cruising is not for you.

I just finished reading four reviews of the Nautica's Cape Town to Cape Town itinerary (same itinerary as Regent's Mariner did - on the same dates). The biggest complaint that I read was that the excursions took people to places where there was poverty. I was stunned. Why would anyone book a trip of any kind to Africa if they did not want too see how they really live? It is this kind of thinking that makes me scratch my head.

I really recommend that people read the fine print when they book a cruise (so that you are not surprised that missed ports are not refundable and being getting sick on board does not mean you should get money back). Once you understand the guidelines, your expectations will probably be much more realistic.

I'm bound to get flamed for this post but I do feel strongly on this subject.

You are correct - luxury cruise lines (or premium plus) do not itemize port fees. Most missed ports are due to weather (acts of God) or sick passengers (not usually caused by the cruise line). It sounds to me that some passengers want the cruise line to pay for anything that happens - whether it is their fault or not.

In terms of lack of communication or perceived reduced staff (Oceania has not reduced their staff - perhaps they were sick), it is truly unfortunate -- just as being sick on a cruise (for any reason) is sad.

After 20 years of international travel (before we began cruising in 2004), we understand that cruising is not for everyone. There are bound to be occasional missed ports, cruises (mainly during the winter) when many passengers are sick, etc. And, there are people who are upset with the ports they are visiting because they did not do research. For those of you upset with Oceania, perhaps cruising is not for you.

I just finished reading four reviews of the Nautica's Cape Town to Cape Town itinerary (same itinerary as Regent's Mariner did - on the same dates). The biggest complaint that I read was that the excursions took people to places where there was poverty. I was stunned. Why would anyone book a trip of any kind to Africa if they did not want too see how they really live? It is this kind of thinking that makes me scratch my head.

I really recommend that people read the fine print when they book a cruise (so that you are not surprised that missed ports are not refundable and being getting sick on board does not mean you should get money back). Once you understand the guidelines, your expectations will probably be much more realistic.

You are assuming a lot in your post and you know what happens when you assume.

I think most of the people I met on the Riviera were VERY experienced cruisers. I think we all know how to read fine print and sure, missed ports happen.

You have missed the point if you think this is about a missed port. If that was all it was, I don't think people would be posting. Ship happens.

You might want to re-read some of this thread and the issues that have been stated by people that were on the ship.

I am not a complainer by nature and am pretty good of making the best of things, but for what little it is worth, this is the first time in all my years of cruising (since 1987) that I was glad a cruise was over.

I respect your right to your opinion, even if I think it's completely wrong.

You are correct - luxury cruise lines (or premium plus) do not itemize port fees...
Not quite true. We have upcoming cruises on both Seabourn and Crystal and they itemize port fees. Seabourn calls it "taxes, fees and port expenses" while Crystal calls it "port, security and handling". We also have a future cruise on Azamara and they itemize it as "taxes, fees and port expenses". Oceania and Regent are the only lines we've sailed that do not break out port fees nor provide refunds when ports are missed.

Too bad that you have no clue about what most people are talking about. This is not about sick people or weather delays. Just about what we pay for and do not get. Port fees are part of our cruise fare and if we do not stop at the port than Oceania does not pay. We should get a refund for that. You would not pay for what you do not get. Or maybe you are willing to take what anyone tells you to. Too bad you are only a cheerleader for Oceania and do not understand that most of us are only asking Oceania to do the right thing. Do you work for Oceania? Sounds like it from all your posts.

I am a big believer in Personal responsibility. This means that I use the Clorox wipes myself in any public gym, just like I do in the grocery story and Target when I take a shopping cart. I would never depend on or expect anyone else to sanitize inbetween customers.

I agree. If you catch something. It is because you didn't protect yourself and you touched your face or food with dirty hands or contaminated your eating utensils or menu. We always sanitize after touching the menu before eating anything anywhere. You have to be germ phobic when you travel world wide or out in public.

My two cents on the subject.

Not quite true. We have upcoming cruises on both Seabourn and Crystal and they itemize port fees. Seabourn calls it "taxes, fees and port expenses" while Crystal calls it "port, security and handling". We also have a future cruise on Azamara and they itemize it as "taxes, fees and port expenses". Oceania and Regent are the only lines we've sailed that do not break out port fees nor provide refunds when ports are missed.

Agreed!! You are correct about how crystal breaks things out...port, security and handling fees as one amount on the the cruise invoice and in all their pricing materials. I have sailed crystal for quite a few years and this has been the case. From time to time, mostly weather related, I have missed a port on crystal and the port fee has been credited to my shipboard account/credit card during the sailing. Typically the amount has been under $25 pp for a port.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

Agreed!! You are correct about how crystal breaks things out...port, security and handling fees as one amount on the the cruise invoice and in all their pricing materials. I have sailed crystal for quite a few years and this has been the case. From time to time, mostly weather related, I have missed a port on crystal and the port fee has been credited to my shipboard account/credit card during the sailing. Typically the amount has been under $25 pp for a port.

Nancy

Great. Does not matter what the amount of the refund is. Just the idea that they are giving back what was paid for and something that you did not get. Oceania is keeping your money and Crystal is not. Good for Crystal.

Great. Does not matter what the amount of the refund is. Just the idea that they are giving back what was paid for and something that you did not get. Oceania is keeping your money and Crystal is not. Good for Crystal.

Yes, the amount does not matter, the refund matters. Just wanted to share how crystal, a luxury line, deals with this issue and their passengers... contrary to what someone else has stated!!! Full disclosure...I have sailed crystal exclusively since 2004, quite a few cruises!! :D

Nancy

Yes, the amount does not matter, the refund matters. Just wanted to share how crystal, a luxury line, deals with this issue and their passengers... contrary to what someone else has stated!!! Full disclosure...I have sailed crystal exclusively since 2004, quite a few cruises!! :D

Nancy

I traveled on Crystal twice, and one time we were late getting into port (I can't recall the port). Since we had to leave at the previously indicted time (i.e. they could not make up for the shorter time in port on the back end), Crystal refunded the port fees, and I didn't even realize until I got home and had a credit on my credit card and had to call Crystal to get an explanation as to why I had a credit on my account.

John

Yet you've stopped cruising with them....

Pray, tell us more about why-

Seeing you asked........

I have not stopped sailing HAL.

My late DH and I sailed HAL more than 80+ cruises and they were a very big part of our travel/life.

My DH passed away and it has been very difficult for me to imagine boarding a blue hulled beautiful HAL ship without him.

So many memories. So many friends and people we have known for years aboard the ships. I fear it would be a very sad vacation for me to be

sailing without my DH and to answer questions many stewards/bartenders/Officers (who don't know he has passed) would be asking.

We were a couple for 47 years. I hope to sail HAL again in time but the time is notyet right for me.

Edited by sail7seas

not Sail, but just to save her the pain of answering. She hasn't stopped cruising with HAL. She has just postponed. Her DH passed away so for her to foray into the world of a solo cruiser was difficult enough. To try to go on HAL that she and her DH had been on for more cruises that I can count would have been pushing the envelope so to speak and too hard to do with all the memories for her first cruise on her own. She had the opportunity to sail with friends who were going on NCL and that fit for her first solo cruise very well.

I am sure she will be back on HAL when she is ready.

Thank you, Jacqui.

Well said.

Your right Seabourn, a luxury line, does list port fees and taxes separate to the total account. They also refund missed ports.

In January on Seabourn we had to miss Madagascar and Reunion due to a cyclone and we were refunded about $50 per person. We have also had times of booking 18 months in advance and have received notification of a price reduction on ports and taxes closer to the time as some ports were less then was originally calculated. Always a nice surprise when that happens :).

Nancy

I agree with the fact it is not the amount that matters it is the refund. When you total the whole amount up over the number of passengers that could be a tidy amount.

Mt TA list port charges and government fees as two separate line items on my invoices for Oceania. The cruise rate is on a separate line.

My TA does the same and likely it is because these port charges and taxes are not commissionable and thus the TA tracks what his commision will be based on the cruise only fare.

Also, like other TA's, mine provides a rebate of 10% or more and that too is based on the cruise fare less port taxes and government fees.

As many others have stated, first of all it is the right thing to do to refund money collected for port taxes and fees that are not paid as keeping them simply enriches the cruise line unfairly. Second, all of the Florida based cruise lines several years ago including Oceania and Regent signed a document agreeing to do this refund for missed ports after a law suit was filed in Florida. This is the point people are making and the title of the thread is now a bit misleading in that people only want back the money paid that was not used for the purpose intended.