service charge on NCL

Jk2

I am a little confused about service charges. When I booked my cruise for December 2015 early this year, service charges were $12/person/day. Now it is increased. On my ncl.com account, I see the option to prepay service charge at old rate, $12. Would it be the same rate if pay it on the ship?

Thanks.

I am a little confused about service charges. When I booked my cruise for December 2015 early this year, service charges were $12/person/day. Now it is increased. On my ncl.com account, I see the option to prepay service charge at old rate, $12. Would it be the same rate if pay it on the ship?

Thanks.

No. If you pay on the ship they will bill it each day at the current rate.

If you want to keep your $12 per day rate, then you need to pre-pay it.

I am a little confused about service charges. When I booked my cruise for December 2015 early this year, service charges were $12/person/day. Now it is increased. On my ncl.com account, I see the option to prepay service charge at old rate, $12. Would it be the same rate if pay it on the ship? Thanks.

If you wait until you are onboard, you will get charged:

• $13.50 per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $15.50 per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

On my ncl.com account, I see the option to prepay service charge at old rate, $12. Would it be the same rate if pay it on the ship?
You should have received two e-mails from NCL about this, one in February when the rate went from $12 to $12.95/$14.95, and a second message in July when they raised it again to $13.50/$15.50. If you want to search for the messages, the subject line was: "Important Information for reservation XXXXXXXX sailing on Norwegian ???? on mm/dd/yyyy".

But the e-mails pretty much just said what the others explained above: pay by credit card before your cruise and you get the old rate of $12, or wait for it to be charged on board and you get the current, higher rate.

The service is the same, whether you pre-pay or don't.....

That is wrong, if a booking was made when the service charge was still $12 per person you have the option of pre-paying at that rate OR you will be assessed the new $13.50 if paying on board.

Bookings AFTER the price increase won't make any difference as it will be the same either way.

That is wrong, if a booking was made when the service charge was still $12 per person you have the option of pre-paying at that rate OR you will be assessed the new $13.50 if paying on board.

Bookings AFTER the price increase won't make any difference as it will be the same either way.

Please re-read what cb at sea said. The service is the same, not the service charge.

If you choose not to prepay, but want your original price, you can get a form onboard from guest services and send it in post-cruise. It will take 2-3 weeks and they will adjust it to the amount you stipulate.

Good luck with that. I am still waiting....and it is more than two weeks.

Good luck with that. I am still waiting....and it is more than two weeks.

When I sent in the form I immediately received an automated email receipt with a case number. If you did not receive this, resubmit. If you have received it call their main guest service number and reference your receipt number.

When I sent in the form I immediately received an automated email receipt with a case number. If you did not receive this, resubmit. If you have received it call their main guest service number and reference your receipt number.

Yes, I I received an automated email receipt with case number. It is a stock email. I just sent a request to that email for information and got the exact same receipt email back, so noone actually attends to that email box. It is automated.

I will call the main guest service number and follow up there.

Thanks!

Yes, I I received an automated email receipt with case number. It is a stock email. I just sent a request to that email for information and got the exact same receipt email back, so noone actually attends to that email box. It is automated.

I will call the main guest service number and follow up there.

Thanks!

I called the guest service line. Was on hold for 40 minutes!

Eventually spoke to someone who told me that my request was submitted to "accounting" on 11/21 (13 days after I submitted my request to the email). She said it would take at least two weeks from 11/21 for accounting to certify the refund, and then it would take at least 10-14 days before they would do the credit back to the credit card.

So, a more realistic timeframe to expect a refund is 6 weeks post cruise!

I shall monitor progress and report back when refund is complete.

A DSC question for Canadians:

I see on myncl.com that if I prepay, I'll be charged $15CDN per person, which is cheaper than $13.50 US (we booked in late August, after the charges had gone up). If I use today's exchange rate as a guide, $13.50 US works out to $18 CDN. That works out to a $90 difference on our upcoming Dec 13 cruise..

I'm wondering: if we prepay it, will that be cheaper than paying onboard in US funds that are then converted?

Any other Canadians grappling with the math?

A DSC question for Canadians:

I see on myncl.com that if I prepay, I'll be charged $15CDN per person, which is cheaper than $13.50 US (we booked in late August, after the charges had gone up). If I use today's exchange rate as a guide, $13.50 US works out to $18 CDN. That works out to a $90 difference on our upcoming Dec 13 cruise..

I'm wondering: if we prepay it, will that be cheaper than paying onboard in US funds that are then converted?

Any other Canadians grappling with the math?

I am not a Canadian, but an Accountant!

Prepay in CDN at 15, as this is related to the conversion rate used by NCL at the time of your booking. They have been extremely slow in catching up with the movement between USD and CDN in recent months, so you benefit at all levels!! Don't pay on board as the conversion rate used will be bang up to date, and you would lose out....keep the $90 in your own pocket is my advice.;)

Another thing to consider is pre-purchasing OBC. You can purchase in units of 25USD, at a rate on your myncl.com that will also be favourable!;)

Not intentionally, but via a "friend" on cruisecritic we were directed to a Canadian TA for our upcoming (Mar 2016) cruise. Since booking I realise that, because NCL were slow in catching up with currency movements, this is favourable to me in the UK also so it is win/win all the way for us. We then booked a further two cruises (B2B Oct 2016) a couple of days ago and discover that the USD to CDN conversion factor is even more favourable than that used for our March cruise....incredible, but true....so our "new" TA has a client for life!:)

I called the guest service line. Was on hold for 40 minutes!

Eventually spoke to someone who told me that my request was submitted to "accounting" on 11/21 (13 days after I submitted my request to the email). She said it would take at least two weeks from 11/21 for accounting to certify the refund, and then it would take at least 10-14 days before they would do the credit back to the credit card.

So, a more realistic timeframe to expect a refund is 6 weeks post cruise!

I shall monitor progress and report back when refund is complete.

Dispute the charge with the cc company. It's very easy to do. Many banks you can even do it online.

They won't make you pay the charge until the dispute is settled and there will be no interest charge

For some reason companies hate when you do that. Must be more work on their end, but boo hoo. It's their fault to begin with.