Caesar salad

smilin jack

any chef working salad/garde would get his but kicked by his sous if he fudged the Ceasar with mayo.....

People become accustomed to what is offered in the marketplace. Purists may hate it, but the advent of Salmonella in eggs lifted Ceasar recipes containing pasteurized mayonnaise into the culinary big leagues.

Messers Keller, Bocuse and Ducasse, may wince, but you can bet your bottom dollar, and Chefs can bet their ever rising insurance premiums, that they think three times before serving anything with raw eggs in it in 2015.

Attitudes change, putting cheese on fish, which was once anathema in any restaurant which saw itself as being above Howard Johnsons' level, is now very "in" with the chic set, and don't even get me started on molecular gastronomy.

People become accustomed to what is offered in the marketplace. Purists may hate it, but the advent of Salmonella in eggs lifted Ceasar recipes containing pasteurized mayonnaise into the culinary big leagues.

Messers Keller, Bocuse and Ducasse, may wince, but you can bet your bottom dollar, and Chefs can bet their ever rising insurance premiums, that they think three times before serving anything with raw eggs in it in 2015.

Attitudes change, putting cheese on fish, which was once anathema in any restaurant which saw itself as being above Howard Johnsons' level, is now very "in" with the chic set, and don't even get me started on molecular gastronomy.

I guess the conversation continues:

I'll "bet my bottom dollar" that most of our local (SF) chefs currently serving table-side Caesar Salad use shell pasteurized eggs (either raw or coddled and perfectly safe per the USDA).

Cheese with fish/seafood has been around for a very long time (e.g., Lobster Thermidor, anchovy pizza, fish tacos). You may be thinking of the wives' tales heard about inland northern Italian nonas chastising family members for sprinkling parmigiano on the only occasional serving of a geographically expensive fish dish.

Want cheese on your fish? Here's some ideas: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5417507

I guess the conversation continues:

I'll "bet my bottom dollar" that most of our local (SF) chefs currently serving table-side Caesar Salad use shell pasteurized eggs (either raw or coddled and perfectly safe per the USDA).

Cheese with fish/seafood has been around for a very long time (e.g., Lobster Thermidor, anchovy pizza, fish tacos). You may be thinking of the wives' tales heard about inland northern Italian nonas chastising family members for sprinkling parmigiano on the only occasional serving of a geographically expensive fish dish.

Want cheese on your fish? Here's some ideas: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5417507

I see someone has the pasteurized egg option covered.

USDA guidelines suggest that two hours is fine (2-Hour Rule: As always, perishable food should not be left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature (1 hour when the temperature is above 90 °F). Be sure to keep this in mind as the party rocks on — and when in doubt, throw it out. (Also see Transporting Food .)). More isn't.

Then again this is the line that cooks a chicken fully one day, doesn't serve it, tosses it in with the next days fresh chickens and cooks it all over again and then serves it to a guest.

Perhaps this explains the very tough chicken our friend was served in Polo.

I didn't know about that - thanks.

U

Then again this is the line that cooks a chicken fully one day, doesn't serve it, tosses it in with the next days fresh chickens and cooks it all over again and then serves it to a guest.

..and you know this how exactly? Were you in the kitchen when they did this or did the chef himself tell you his little secret?

• 8 months later...

I have to resurrect this old thread because last night we made Stan and Jim's recipe for Oceania's Caesar salad dressing....

We thought it was great, and is Oceania's recipe!

I love it!

I also want to apologize for my bad response in reply #19...

jack

We were on Regatta in Alaska and took our 10 year old twin grandsons to Polo one night, properly dressed and prepped for the occasion. We had a wonderful table near the back windows, which was spectacular. They both ordered the Caesar salad. They ordinarily don't like dressing on salad. I didn't say anything and was just interested in how the table side presentation was going to work out. The waiter was very serious, inquired as to the exact amount of cheese they each wanted, tossed the salad carefully and then asked them each how many croutons they wanted and proceeded to count them out.

It will always be a treasured memory.

Mary

Some of you people drive me nuts....I think that Oceania should rename their Ceaser, Oceania Caeser. That might make their dressing accessible to the purest......get a life!

Whatever they call it.....I love it.......

:D But should it be Oceania Caesar, OR Caesar Oceania?!:D With you on that one !

Unlike one of the previous posters, I don't believe anchovies are optional. They are an important part of the ingredients. If one doesn't like anchovies they can request it without the anchovies, but one should never have to order anchovies with the salad. That would be like saying "I want a cheeseburger with cheese!" :rolleyes:

LOL! At least posters are generally spelling "Caesar" correctly, unlike too many restaurant menus.

I feel sorry for all of the Italian restaurants (even some in Italy) that have been compelled to add this salad to their menus because so many diners thought it was named after a certain line of Roman emperors...In that regard, never try to order a "Venti espresso" (a la Starbucks) in Italy. The story goes that some American did that at Tazza d'Oro in Rome and as dismayed to see 20 espresso cups being lined up on the counter for him...

(If it's not true it should be!)

Edited by JPR

I had to try it with all the comments on this thread. The dressing is tasty but totally saturated the romaine lettuce which appeared to have been kept at room temperature. It was not crisp at all. The server reused a ceramic bowl to mix the salad. There were still traces of a previously made Caesar in the bowl, i.e. large pieces of dressing soaked romaine. No wooden bowl, no real mixing table side, just a large spoonful of prepared dressing poured over what appeared to be less than fresh romaine lettuce, topped then with anchovy filets and shaved Parmesan. It was fine but not authentic, likely for the health reasons others have stated. I would not likely order it again. The rest of the meal was fantastic however!