Christmas decorations on Diamond Princess

anjo

Off topic slightly, but I wonder if Australia Day on 26 January will be celebrated on Diamond Princess as they do big time with American Independence Day? I have been on a American Princess ship on a July 4, over the top, flags, balloons, cakes, waiters in the red, white and blue, etc, etc.

My wife and granddaughter will be on Diamond on 26th, enroute Syd-NZ-Sydney.

God Bless Orstralia.

The most we have seen is a cake iced with the words "Happy Australian Day". Nice thought anyway. :)

I have seen them come out with a version of traditional aussie fare, meat pies, lamingtons, etc.:D

Thanks for the replies my friends, but surely Vegemite Sambos will be served at Arvo Tea by the white gloved waiters in ye olde MDR ? Perhaps even some iced vo vo's, tim tams and Anzac bikkies as well !! All washed down with an ice cold VB.

I will try and get my grand daughter to take some pics of the Australia Day fare and activities (if any,) on Diamond and post them on here.

Remember on Princess..'Escape to the Horizon Court' and 'Come Back Fat.' LOL.

Edited by NSWP

I hope they get Curtis Stone to teach them how to make a real lamington.

I agree with that. I was not impressed with the lamingtons on one of the Princess ships we were on. The sponge was dry and nearly hard. :D Maybe they were copying the packaged lamingtons in the supermarket. Coles by any chance? Yes, I know, just because Curtis Stone does promotions for Coles doesn't mean he is responsible for their packaged lamingtons.:(

The Pavlova is a joke as well.

Unfortunately most international chefs do not understand the subtle nuances of a pavlova. They see them as just meringues with a dab of cream and some fruit. They don't realise that the inside must be marshmallow, not air or chewy nougat.

It always amuses me when I serve a true pavlova to international friends - they are amazed how different they are from the meringue versions they have had in the past.

One of these days I must experiment to see if it is possible to create perfect single serve pavlovas. I suspect it may not be as the smaller amount of mix would dry out too quickly. I have successfully made a single egg white pavlova (my usual recipe uses three egg whites). That would probably be a perfect single serve pavlova for GUT :p ;) :D

I agree with that. I was not impressed with the lamingtons on one of the Princess ships we were on. The sponge was dry and nearly hard. :D Maybe they were copying the packaged lamingtons in the supermarket. Coles by any chance? Yes, I know, just because Curtis Stone does promotions for Coles doesn't mean he is responsible for their packaged lamingtons.:(

They probably were from Coles :D

There wasn't any that we saw.

I was disappointed, not sure my stomach was. Earlier Princess cruises Pav was a permanent on the MDR desert menu.

They had them on our Dawn cruise in August. I made the mistake of having one. Actually, although they aren't proper pavs they'd be an OK meringue dessert if they doubled or tripled the amount of cream they serve with them. Unfortunately they only serve a tiny dab of cream and the meringue is very dry.

Maybe the Diamond executive chef was too scared to serve their "pavs" to Aussies in case he got lynched.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thanks for the replies my friends, but surely Vegemite Sambos will be served at Arvo Tea by the white gloved waiters in ye olde MDR ? Perhaps even some iced vo vo's, tim tams and Anzac bikkies as well !! All washed down with an ice cold VB.

I will try and get my grand daughter to take some pics of the Australia Day fare and activities (if any,) on Diamond and post them on here.

Remember on Princess..'Escape to the Horizon Court' and 'Come Back Fat.' LOL.

We met a couple of really nice Yanks after Mustard drill, sat talking for a shile with them and met up with them a few times for arvo tea lunch etc.

At one stage we were talking about things that they must do while n Aus, and foods they needed to try.

In one Port Mrs Gut saw Tim Tams on special so bought a pack (one of the big packs with about 24) and left it in their mail slot with a little note.

The next day I saw Greg (the hubby) who thanked me for the "Cookies" and said that the one he'd been allowed try was great but Dee (his wifey) wouldn't let him have any more as "They were her's".

Hard dry cake (would even say sponge) with purple icing:eek: and shredded coconut:eek: (is there an emoticon for vomit), after breaking it open even I couldn't eat it and I can eat (how else would I get a handle like GUT).

Unfortunately most international chefs do not understand the subtle nuances of a pavlova. They see them as just meringues with a dab of cream and some fruit. They don't realise that the inside must be marshmallow, not air or chewy nougat.

It always amuses me when I serve a true pavlova to international friends - they are amazed how different they are from the meringue versions they have had in the past.

One of these days I must experiment to see if it is possible to create perfect single serve pavlovas. I suspect it may not be as the smaller amount of mix would dry out too quickly. I have successfully made a single egg white pavlova (my usual recipe uses three egg whites). That would probably be a perfect single serve pavlova for GUT :p ;) :D

Agreed, a meringue covered in some cream and fruit does not make a pavlova.

Edited by MicCanberra

Try this one . It was a hit on the NZ MKR show last year.....

http://mkrnz.co.nz/recipes/pavlova-with-passionfruit-and-lychees

We met a couple of really nice Yanks after Mustard drill, sat talking for a shile with them and met up with them a few times for arvo tea lunch etc.

At one stage we were talking about things that they must do while n Aus, and foods they needed to try.

In one Port Mrs Gut saw Tim Tams on special so bought a pack (one of the big packs with about 24) and left it in their mail slot with a little note.

The next day I saw Greg (the hubby) who thanked me for the "Cookies" and said that the one he'd been allowed try was great but Dee (his wifey) wouldn't let him have any more as "They were her's".

Marriage breakers :rolleyes:

Try this one . It was a hit on the NZ MKR show last year.....

http://mkrnz.co.nz/recipes/pavlova-with-passionfruit-and-lychees

Very similar to my recipe. Maybe it is possible. Did you see what it looked like when it was cut open?

Of course those ones are about 3-4 times the size of the pathetic meringues served on Princess.

Only 3 eggs, must be just a snack, Mrs Gut uses a whole dozen.

Hi everyone, just a quick question, boarding Diamond Princess on 30th Dec (can't wait :)) will the Christmas decorations still be up? Thanks Anjo.

We were on a Sea Princess cruise that started Boxing Day from Sydney a couple of years ago. There was certainly no artificial snow and I don't really remember any Christmas decorations, nor does my daughter. There was a balloon drop, champagne and party hats for New Years Eve.

We were on a Sea Princess cruise that started Boxing Day from Sydney a couple of years ago. There was certainly no artificial snow and I don't really remember any Christmas decorations, nor does my daughter. There was a balloon drop, champagne and party hats for New Years Eve.

Do you think they didn't have Christmas decorations at all, or did they take them down on Christmas day? I think that is a bit unlikely. :)

By the way, the artificial snow only operated in the atrium for a set time (I think it was two hours) in the afternoon. We saw this on the Sea Princess last Christmas and New Year.

They had all the party gear for New Year.

It would have been boxing day that they were taken down as that was Embarkation day. If they were there, they were not over the top noticeable. Perhaps some had been removed or at the end of the Christmas season these things fade into the background from my perspective. That was a good thing in my view as we were on a post Christmas cruise.

For the original poster I think I would not set expectations too high that they are still there.

We travelled with friends. I am sure they too more pictures and I will check.

The decorations were mainly in the atrium and each cabin had a little decoration on the letter-box outside the door.

The artificial snow machine might not have been on your cruise, but it is easy to miss. My husband didn't see it until Christmas Eve when a group of the crew were singing Christmas songs on deck five in the atrium when we came out from dinner. The 'snow' was gently falling onto them as they sang. It was beautiful. Whatever the snow was made from melted almost as soon as it hit the floor.

Hi everyone, just popped on to use my minutes up before packing,

The Diamond Princess looks amazing with the Christmas decorations.

We have been on board for the actual 50 year anniversary, which was

fun, we have decided we prefer the sun class ships to the Diamond,

but at least we have tried it, and I am pleased to report that there

appears no sickness on board.:D:D