How to carry Seapass & almost last minute questions!

Just 3 short weeks until our first cruise for the honeymoon!

Question about seapass - how do people carry them around? Being female with no pockets (they need to make more dresses with pockets !) most of the time and the inordinate amount of time I plan on being in a bathing suit, I can't seem to figure out how not to lose my seapass. Do they give you a lanyard or should I bring my own? It would be great if they switch to bands like Disney World did - I absolutely loved those ... I can pay and swim! Also, do I have to carry my ID around for drinks or is my birthday on my seapass account (mid to late twenties and we get carded all the time. It will be a blessing in a few more years).

Also, I was listed as special diet because my doctor limits my gluten intake , but I am not allergic (if only I can figure out what is going on with my body... I also miss pizza). Will I be able to order off the normal menu in the dining room? Or does it work both ways in that others can't eat my food , and I can't order off theirs :-(. I told my travel agent this and he said that he still needs to list me as gluten free for the ship

I am beyond excited! Also, on tender ports (Belize), can we tender on/ off at any time or only at the docking /leaving times? Also, are the times listed for arrival of ship for tender or the arrival of you onto the land (itinerary says 9 to 6).

I've been following packing lists and it is a HUGE amount of stuff... does anyone have a short list of essentials ?

Thanks so much in advance! I've been reading these forums for so long, my husband jokes that I spent more time on cruise critic than I will on the ship!

Also almost forgot my tipping question. It got deleted somehow

We like tipping as we go in cash. This is in no way a method to skip or skimp on our gratuities. We were thinking of making an envelope of cash in the amount of gratuities and using it up as we go. I like the idea of being able to allocate what percentage of my tip goes to who.

As for tipping in cash, do people tip every meal? At the beginning of the trip or the end? Do you leave a tip like you would on the dining room table for meals? Just don't want to be ousted for weird social etiquette

For the seapass, bring your own lanyard. They have a punch to make a hole in the seapass for you so you can clip it on the lanyard. We did this on our last cruise and it worked great.

My wife is allergic to gluten. On our first night in the MDR we told the waiter about it. He pointed out what food she could order on the menu that would be fine for her or they could quickly modify. After that, at the end of each meal each night he would bring out the menu for the next night and she could order whatever she wanted on the menu and they would prepare it the next day gluten free. They also have gluten free bread each night at dinner and my wife said it was the best gluten free bread she has ever had.

For your age I assume it is recorded on your seapass.

We always pack too much stuff, especially when it comes to clothes.

They don't give you a lanyard, but you can bring one or purchase one onboard. They will punch a hole in your SeaPass card upon request.

Your SeaPass card may not always suffice for proving your age. If the bar staff does not have easy access to a scanner that shows the photo associated with your SeaPass, they may ask for a photo ID.

We use lanyards- and after a week of not using one on the Anthem (can't hole punch them, and we didn't have a pocket to hang), we missed that.

RE- tips, you CAN pay with cash- but you have to have the auto billing stopped. Right now, everyone is charged for each day, automatically. As for when- traditionally- it's been the last night of the cruise when you gave the envelope.

(I'm sure many more will chime in on that).

Can't answer your diet question- but am aware that things can be done.

Tendering can can be done anytime. Well, anytime between when you arrive and when you leave... :eek::D

Let me see if i can help-

seapass they do not provide lanyards and you will need it to buy anything on board the ship. It is you age ID, cash per say-pretty much all you need. no pockets, no purse, I'd say lanyard!!

menu-just let the waiters know you are gluten free and you should be fine.

tenders-they will make announcements on when the first tender starts. It's been so long I've needed one-I'm sure more will chime in. the do let you know when the last one returns too!!

tipping-Oh boy-get ready. They will on a daily basis deduct a per day gratuity that will go on your on board account. You can, if you would like have this removed and tip in cash. Get ready for a lot of lectures on this. :eek: Do as you feel comfortable on that.

We like tipping as we go in cash. This is in no way a method to skip or skimp on our gratuities. We were thinking of making an envelope of cash in the amount of gratuities and using it up as we go. I like the idea of being able to allocate what percentage of my tip goes to who.

As for tipping in cash, do people tip every meal? At the beginning of the trip or the end? Do you leave a tip like you would on the dining room table for meals? Just don't want to be ousted for weird social etiquette

A service charge of $12.95/pp for inside, oceanview and Jr Suite cabins will be charged daily to your account to cover tips for your wait staff and room steward. Full suites have a higher rate.

Tipping is a sensitive topic. It just works differently on a cruise ship and some folks just don't like it. If you leave the daily service charge in place, you will have satisfied all your expected tipping on the ship except for room service. Automatic tips will be added to any bar service bill. I've never seen anyone leave cash on the table - that is definitely not the social etiquette on the ship.

Some folks bring one dollar bills to have for extra tips. For example, I get free drinks during the cocktail hour because I have cruised a lot with RCL. If I drink all the time in the same venue, I tip the bar service staff at the end, but if I use a drink voucher in a random bar, I tip cash for the free drink. I'm guessing that you are not in that situation yet.

Edited by 138east

Just 3 short weeks until our first cruise for the honeymoon!

Question about seapass - how do people carry them around? Being female with no pockets (they need to make more dresses with pockets !) most of the time and the inordinate amount of time I plan on being in a bathing suit, I can't seem to figure out how not to lose my seapass. Do they give you a lanyard or should I bring my own? It would be great if they switch to bands like Disney World did - I absolutely loved those ... I can pay and swim! Also, do I have to carry my ID around for drinks or is my birthday on my seapass account (mid to late twenties and we get carded all the time. It will be a blessing in a few more years). I personally hate lanyards. but no the ship does not supply them for free. you either bring your own or buy on on board. I use what amounts to an oversized cell phone holder that I picked up in Thailand a hundred years ago. it fits my sea pass card, my chapstick and my cellphone( which will only be used as a camera). your Seapass card has your picture and all relevant information. HOWEVER some ports do require you to provide a picture ID to enter the security area to get back on board.

Also, I was listed as special diet because my doctor limits my gluten intake , but I am not allergic (if only I can figure out what is going on with my body... I also miss pizza). Will I be able to order off the normal menu in the dining room? Or does it work both ways in that others can't eat my food , and I can't order off theirs :-(. I told my travel agent this and he said that he still needs to list me as gluten free for the ship shouldn't be too much of an issue. you can always ask to speak to a chef ( including the Buffet) worse case scenario is they make you pre order tomorrow's dinner while slurping your after dinner coffee the night before. they will at the very least have a GF option on the bread tray.

I am beyond excited! Also, on tender ports (Belize), can we tender on/ off at any time or only at the docking /leaving times? Also, are the times listed for arrival of ship for tender or the arrival of you onto the land (itinerary says 9 to 6). tenders tend to run continuously but depending on how many they have going at once there could be trips as often as every 15 minutes or as little as once every half hour. times tend to be dropping anchor times. add another 30 minutes to get the first tenders away. sometimes they can drop early.

I've been following packing lists and it is a HUGE amount of stuff... does anyone have a short list of essentials ? lay out what you normally wear to a similar vacation for a similar length of time. then put half of it BACK. ONE pair of slacks can last all week in the MDR for dinner on the guys. I stick to dresses and skirts so I never have to worry about changing out of shorts. also everythingI pack can mix and match with everything else. I literally have 2 skorts and a skirt plus 5 tops on the couch for this weekend. If you do Formal, ONE dress or set of palazzo pants and use different baubles. Undies can be rinsed out and air dried. bring two bathing suits if you will be spending a lot of time in the water.

Thanks so much in advance! I've been reading these forums for so long, my husband jokes that I spent more time on cruise critic than I will on the ship!

no worries on not spending too much time on the ship. you WILL be making him take you again. ;)

complete waste of effort on your part. just let them charge the people that get it daily. about the only people who would be in a position to receive cash would be room service and the bartenders if you want to add extra on top of the 18% that its automatically added.

they got rid of envelopes for a reason. it is all just charged to your account. by all means leave a little extra for the wait staff or your cabin steward if you think they deserve it, but the daily charge is all they expect.

SeaPass cards - Lanyard is one way, as has been mentioned. I normally have pockets, so my wife, who doesn't always want to wear a lanyard around, just has me carry hers for her, when she doesn't have a pocket to carry it in.

Gluten - If you're just being "limited" on your gluten intake, it shouldn't be much of a problem. It's a good idea to let them know, but there are plenty of options that would be low to no gluten. You might want to let them know that it is not necessarily zero-tolerance for you. Some people can't tolerate gluten at all, and they need food prepared in a special area of the kitchen to avoid any trace of gluten. You may not want them to go to that much trouble, if it's not necessary.

Tipping - My advice is to consider the standard daily gratuities as part of your cruise cost, and just leave them as-is. It makes sure that all the people who serve you get appropriately compensated, and you don't have to worry about whether you missed someone or shorted someone, trying to figure out the right amount to give each person. Save the cash tips for anyone you may feel the need to show a little extra appreciation to.

I have a small plastic waterproof case that goes around the waist. Sell them all over. I use it on shore excursions also. Put some cash in there so nothing of value left on beach or boat. Layard can slip off your neck while swimming or snorkeling.

I put mine in a small purse or my pool tote. I don't like looking like I'm at a convention, so no lanyards for me. When I'm out and about on the ship, I like having my comb, lipstick, etc....so a very small purse works well.

In a hotel, how do you carry your room key? Do the same on a ship!

The tips they automatically charge to your account cover all those who serve you, with the exception of room service delivery and the concierge (if you're in a suite). Leave them in place, and you're done!! It, too, is "foolproof" and more than sufficient!

Edited by cb at sea

The gratuities payed daily are for a host of folks e.g.; cabin steward and other housekeeping folks that keep public areas, toilets, hallways, stairways, etc., clean; and, head waiters, waiters, assistant waiters, other food service attendants like in the Windjammer buffet area.

It is impossible for any guest on a cruise ship to provide gratuities on a case by case basis as you will not be running into all the folks that provide you service that receive the allocated gratuities. You will note that I did not use the term "Tips". That is because the gratuity on a cruise ship is in fact a service charge not a tip.

If one wants to add a tip they certainly can and many do.

Hope you have a great honeymoon on one of our favorite ships!

Edited by Scotty G

I can tell you my experience regarding the gluten question. I have IBS and one of my trigger foods is gluten - I do not have an allergy, just a sensitivity. I filled out my cruise docs with special diet gluten free. When we ate the first night the waiter brought up my gluten "allergy" and I explained that I do not have celiac, just a sensitivity. So instead of having to order my dinners the night before (which I believe they do for celiac so they can prepare the entire meal in a separate prep area so that nothing touches gluten), I would just look at the menu each night and ask for one of the meals with the gluten free option symbol next to it (dairy is also a trigger for me and they had quite a few options for dairy free as well). They also brought me a selection of gluten free breads and I loved them all! Had a full plate of them waiting for me every night after that. Just let them know it's not an allergy, just a preference/sensitivity, so they don't tell you you can't order the cake for dessert if you want some :D ... I won't be selecting gluten free as a special diet on our next cruise and plan to just ask for the gluten free bread and look for gluten free dinner options.

Thanks so much! This forum is endlessly useful

And yep, that's my issue too with the sensitivity. Too much and I need medication which isn't too big of an issue, but it's not fun to be sick while of vacation. Even when it involved good pizza. I am so excited to decent gluten free pizza! And I will let them know it's not celiac to my waiter so it won't be extra work for them :-)

And as for the tips, I didn't think of the other people that the gratuity included. We will just leave as is and carry some singles around then. And that is why I ask these questions here because we would have left money on the table after dinner if we had not known ! Also they should not call them gratuities because gratuities are tips in my head which apply to waiters and room service

As for the seagrass , lanyard it is. I know it's ugly, but hey, it's useful. But seriously, they should consider the Disney method of RFID bands. I would pay for an upgrade like that. My husband does make a good purse, but he has legs that wander...

I have a very small plastic box that is,theoretically, waterproof that holds seapass,license,2 credit cards and some cash....I tie it to my bathing suit strap or bra strap....I do not carry a purse on vacation....very safe, secure and convenient......and no one has ever turned down my damp money....

I have a very small plastic box that is,theoretically, waterproof that holds seapass,license,2 credit cards and some cash....I tie it to my bathing suit strap or bra strap....I do not carry a purse on vacation....very safe, secure and convenient......and no one has ever turned down my damp money....

Do you keep it on you in the water? That's great if it's secure for when at the beach.

I never knew carrying a small purse was an option!

Most of the ladies I see are packing enough luggage to hold the kitchen sink. Can't possible imagine what's inside them, as all that's possible to use on board is the Setsail pass. :confused:

I usually wear mine on a lanyard. I have the small plastic pouch for it. I carry my young children's passes too. I also take with my a Vera Bradley Shoot From the Hip bag. Enough for the compass, sea passes, lip balm, and something else small if needed.

I do wear it in the water where you can find me most of the time!...solves the security problem....my husband has a little bigger one that also holds a rental car key.....that goes into his swim suit velcro pocket....his remains waterproof over many trips.....if someone comes along and steals our towels and sunscreen we aren't out much...I only carry a purse when I am doing the driving or going to the movies to carry in my treat...