Cancellation - being charged unreduced deposit on "reduced deposit" cruise?

Not an attorney - but OP, think you are stretching on this one. Royal's view makes logical sense.

Their standard billing practice is where the cruise costs $2000, and you pay $500 deposit. At blank date you lose $500 in the cancellation, at the next date you lose 50%, at the next date you lose 75%.

It would never occur to me that the fact that they "reduce deposits" to get you book would change the cancellation schedule. "defer 50% of your deposit until 75 days before your cruise" would confuse most people and be a terrible sale name. I think most people understand that the reduced deposit is in no way reducing your cruise fare, it only reduces the amount of money you need upfront to book.

Although, I agree stating "lose your deposit" as opposed to "lose the standard deposit" or "lose $500" is poor wording in this situation and should probably be changed.

Not an attorney - but OP, think you are stretching on this one. Royal's view makes logical sense.

Their standard billing practice is where the cruise costs $2000, and you pay $500 deposit. At blank date you lose $500 in the cancellation, at the next date you lose 50%, at the next date you lose 75%.

It would never occur to me that the fact that they "reduce deposits" to get you book would change the cancellation schedule. "defer 50% of your deposit until 75 days before your cruise" would confuse most people and be a terrible sale name. I think most people understand that the reduced deposit is in no way reducing your cruise fare, it only reduces the amount of money you need upfront to book.

Although, I agree stating "lose your deposit" as opposed to "lose the standard deposit" or "lose $500" is poor wording in this situation and should probably be changed.

Please dont confuse people with logical, rational and reasonable thinking. It will only tend to confuse them more. ;)

I think that pretty much everyone understands that. Did anyone even hint that the promotion we are talking about reduces the cruise fare?

RCI's position only makes sense if one accepts that the deposit paid is NOT the actual deposit amount. Given that RCI makes no mention of this thinking anywhere in their advertising, I wonder how long a judge would laugh at this assertion before ruling on it.

By the logic of the second paragraph, if one pays $100 deposit then "at blank date" one looses $100 deposit, Everyone understands this . . . well except for RCI who claim one looses $200.

Stop with the red herrings. The OP has never suggested that the deposit amount in any way affects the cruise fare.

Wording counts in advertising. It is the responsibility of the advertiser, not the reader, to be clear and accurate. If one loses the "standard" deposit as opposed to the actual deposit made, the advertising has to be quite clear about this. Otherwise a case can be made for false advertising.

Advertisers do not have the luxury of saying whatever they want. They must be clear and upfront about terms and conditions. Just because wording may not be terribly marketable is no excuse for using misleading or false wording.

After I thought about this a lot, I guess I understand what the process is here. My thought process is Rccl says you lose the deposit amount if you cancel after final payment. I know this is ticky tack, but the deposit amount per the deposit schedule is $200. It doesn't state what you paid, it states the deposit amount. Not saying this is right or even makes sense, but the deposit amount per the schedule is $200.

Now I know there are going to be a lot of firing back from this so I did some digging and really found nothing in any policies etc that really explain this. But I did do a mock booking, I think it was for the Brilliance 5 day in March or April and guess what, it spells it out plain as day.

Deposit for the 5 day cruise- $100

Cancellation after final payment- $100 PER PERSON.

12sDFxuLgRKh17EgWnVHQ9_XePKUXzRlMWZ5n_QrxHacm3vMkUwniNzioah9renj4WhAVbPFMrrkd5KLMcu7V-e_c0dvHCUujN3QldSdBojfLnyeVkP4XcJCpaVo_NliFvWxHvhBtLf7pJzS1DkHhwdwLSVJ38E3e0Sp57apbqzQR7Jw4DEvFGny7BUuaBGOuEhSkanzSoF4dhT9Oz99ct1XARbh3AulYqnvI-RmhESj2eWrgCZ-639o0fbMTLa6t0qkv_z8LY6gjC_tIBkEi9e5g08F_cSijVccxBM8u_mEhA5GpdY1yB-rmhxw0P6gNFwVNVKZiJafDdI-pGp8AVJfvhWGRZfOTRgLo0n5fWChZaD0-3vh0cyWYoqv34Fss83RUHhEuYe0pIfRgkGhDNdWM1nwMqNIJnQMh-sGEDVFHQWZ5rTGaVkzX-sK_1XTD4Pu8xX3Ow3bCHzqYnWSPiT1Bc36nkWimAxlAY6b06acb6cDPkMjcHeHHB4V8Eo68nt7OjDsq-N5WFJpbC55Bk7Lzvo6u5S1IKCOq4aoRXc7=w1680-h945-no

So I know we all never really thought that if you cancel on a 50% deposit cruise you still pay the whole deposit. There it is, black and white. (Well in color I guess) :D

Not saying it's right..... but they have covered their butts!

Wording counts in advertising. It is the responsibility of the advertiser, not the reader, to be clear and accurate. If one loses the "standard" deposit as opposed to the actual deposit made, the advertising has to be quite clear about this. Otherwise a case can be made for false advertising.

Advertisers do not have the luxury of saying whatever they want. They must be clear and upfront about terms and conditions. Just because wording may not be terribly marketable is no excuse for using misleading or false wording.

Which is why we have a world full of attorneys. I don't think anyone was misled; I think someone is trying to cancel after final payment and trying to see how little they can lose. They advertise 50% of deposits and OP was able to reserve a spot on the cruise for 50% less than normal. They did not advertise a lesser cancellation penalty.

Yes, current promotion.

It appears then that RCI has altered its policy and now only penalizes the deposit actually paid, as opposed to the non-promotion deposit amount. Too bad the OP got stiffed.

Glad to see that RCI has now made things very clear. Also glad to see that the deposit penalty is what is actually paid.

It appears then that RCI has altered its policy and now only penalizes the deposit actually paid, as opposed to the non-promotion deposit amount. Too bad the OP got stiffed.

Glad to see that RCI has now made things very clear. Also glad to see that the deposit penalty is what is actually paid.

I'm not sure what you are seeing, but on the screenshot I posted the deposit is $100 but the cancellation is $200 (full deposit amount). So no, the are penalizing the full deposit even tho 50% was paid.

I'm not sure what you are seeing, but on the screenshot I posted the deposit is $100 but the cancellation is $200 (full deposit amount). So no, the are penalizing the full deposit even tho 50% was paid.

I see the image has been removed. I believe you are misremembering the picture. The deposit amount was $100. The cancellation fee was $100. I checked that several times before posting.

I see the image has been removed. I believe you are misremembering the picture. The deposit amount was $100. The cancellation fee was $100. I checked that several times before posting.

Not 100% sure, but I thought the cancellation fee was "per person".

I am also taking advantage of the onboard booking reduced deposit.

But my interpretation ever since is if you have a reduced deposit, then paid it full, then cancelled during the penalty period wherein you will forfeit your deposit, you will lose the full deposit amount of that sailing.

So I know what I am getting into.

To reinforced this, read the cancellation terms of your booking which serves as your contract. The initial penalty amount is written in a fixed value.. e.g. full deposit value of $250, even if you paid only $50 or $100 when you booked on board. It does not say you will lose whatever you paid for deposit.

Since this is a specific contract related to your specific cruise booking, it is binding. So be sure to read the contract terms carefully before you book so you are aware what are you getting into.

• 9 months later...

Bringing this thread back. Has anyone had any recent experience with this to share? I just called C and A and was told that if I cancel between the 74 days and 60 day mark I will only be charged is the deposit I paid when I booked on board which is $50. The deposit would have been $100 pp or $200 total.

I'm afraid to call back and get a second answer;)

I'm in the UK so not exactly the same but here is my experience.

I booked directly with RCI and paid reduced deposits (£25 per person). Shortly before final payment my work commitments changed. I wasn't sure when I would be able to book an alternative cruise so I called RCI to cancel. (Overseas Call Centre - no idea where!). I asked whether the full deposit would now be payable and the advisor went away to check and much to my relief I was told I would just lose the low deposit amount and no further payment was needed. This was 3 months ago and I have not heard anything further from RCI so I guess it all went through ok.

Edited by livylotte

I booked directly with RCI and paid reduced deposits (£25 per person). Shortly before final payment my work commitments changed. I wasn't sure when I would be able to book an alternative cruise so I called RCI to cancel. (Overseas Call Centre - no idea where!). I asked whether the full deposit would now be payable and the advisor went away to check and much to my relief I was told I would just lose the low deposit amount and no further payment was needed. This was 3 months ago and I have not heard anything further from RCI so I guess it all went through ok.

Thanks!!

When I look at my booking confirmation, it specifically lists the dollar amount of deposit that will be forfeited upon cancellation.

For example, we have a 10 day cruise in a JS coming up. On the booking confirmation, it says if I cancel 74 to 57 days prior to sailing I will lose $450pp. I only paid $100pp to book the cruise.

All of my booking confirmations also specifically list the $250.00 amount will be lost if I cancel during the first designated period after final payment. Some of these were reduced deposit bookings.

I think that your situation is a bit different. You cancelled before final payment so you forfeited the reduced deposit only. That was the amount of money you already had paid to RCI. Obviously, they could not require you to pay what would have been considered a full deposit in order to cancel your reservation. If you had cancelled after final payment and had already made payment I suspect, and this is obviously only speculation, that they may have kept what would have amounted to a full deposit. Of course, my speculation could be wrong.

All of my booking confirmations also specifically list the $250.00 amount will be lost if I cancel during the first designated period after final payment. Some of these were reduced deposit bookings.

I also have an active reservation that was made with a reduced deposit and it indicates the same dollar amount as yours does.

My invoice also states $250 pp as when I originally booked on board it was for a 7 day cruise. I changed it to a 5 day one but the invoice never changed to show the deposit as $100 per person.

We only paid a $50 deposit on on board. The C and A rep this morning said if I cancel between 60 - 74 days we would lose $50, not $200 or $500.

I am only concerned should there be a nice price drop within that time period where for $50 I could cancel and re-book. Just speculating and wondering if anyone had any actual recent experiences with it.

Hmmm. Interesting topic.

I book my cruises through an online TA. They always run a "No Deposit Required" promotion but when you scroll WAY down to read the fine print...

Deferred Deposit
offer is valid for most sailings departing by 12/31/16. ...Initial deposit must be paid 10 days prior to final payment due date;
if changes are made benefit will become void and the cruise lines full deposit is required;
changes made resulting in a new cruise line booking are considered a cancellation and subject to cruise lines cancellation policy...

Under these promos I pay a $24.99 processing fee to book my cruise. But my cancellation fee would be $500 (7 day balcony deposit for 2).

Hmmm. Interesting topic.

I book my cruises through an online TA. They always run a "No Deposit Required" promotion but when you scroll WAY down to read the fine print...

Deferred Deposit
offer is valid for most sailings departing by 12/31/16. ...Initial deposit must be paid 10 days prior to final payment due date;
if changes are made benefit will become void and the cruise lines full deposit is required;
changes made resulting in a new cruise line booking are considered a cancellation and subject to cruise lines cancellation policy...

Under these promos I pay a $24.99 processing fee to book my cruise. But my cancellation fee would be $500 (7 day balcony deposit for 2).

I think I might know which TA you use. I would never pay a fee for giving them my business. Why do people agree to that?

I think I might know which TA you use. I would never pay a fee for giving them my business. Why do people agree to that?

You know, I never thought about it that way. LOL! I was looking online for my first cruise and found their no deposit required promo. Of course they don't tell you about the fee until the end. But I figured $25 was still way better than $500 down. :p The person who helped me was super nice too. I've used them for my last 3 cruises.