New Beds!

Working 2 Cruise

I guess I'm in the minority. I always sleep great on the ships. Beds, like everything else are subjective. I spent the night at my mother's house and I don't know if the bed was too soft or too hard but it was horrible. My husband rolled over and fell out of the bed. It was too funny. Well, for me. The first thing I'd change if it were my house. I've never needed the mattress topper either.

I guess I'm in the minority. I always sleep great on the ships. Beds, like everything else are subjective. ......

I'm with you. This is BAD news to me, if they are answering the complaints. The people complaining want soft, soft, squishy plushy mattresses. I want (and NEED due to a back injury) firm mattresses. The current Princess mattresses suit me just fine. I sleep great and wake refreshed on Princess.

But you can't please everyone and obviously I'm in the minority. I can handle it, because the rest of the experience is outstanding!!

we had heard this news a few weeks ago on board a ship. Our friend is the Executive Housekeeper and he told us that not only beds but all new linen. Higher end sheets, duvets, pillows, towels etc are being rolled out.

Beds have gotten better but I have found it hit or miss on board. The linens certainly could be better, often see holes, tears, or too much wear. Other lines we have been on have been far better. But I like Princess. So glad to see they are upgrading.

I'm with you. This is BAD news to me, if they are answering the complaints. The people complaining want soft, soft, squishy plushy mattresses. I want (and NEED due to a back injury) firm mattresses. The current Princess mattresses suit me just fine. I sleep great and wake refreshed on Princess.

But you can't please everyone and obviously I'm in the minority. I can handle it, because the rest of the experience is outstanding!!

Then you have never had a Princess mattress with 4" body impressions in it.

Try it sometime and you will change your tune. :(

We were on 4 Ruby cruises in 2014 and had no problems with the beds -- they were comfortable pillow tops in 3 mini-suites and 1 full suite. .

It is neato that you can afford the cabins with the replaced beds. Good for you!

Then you have never had a Princess mattress with 4" body impressions in it.

Try it sometime and you will change your tune. :(

With 17 Princess cruises on 11 different Princess ships, I really don't think I'll change my tune. As I said, the total experience will probably be worth it, even if I won't sleep as well.

But, for many reasons, we're broadening our cruising experience, as you can see below.

It is neato that you can afford the cabins with the replaced beds. Good for you!

Wow! I only mentioned the type of cabins in case they make a difference (I have no idea if they do or not) so others (especially those new to or thinking about taking a Princess cruise) can see that not all the beds on the Ruby, Crown, Star, Golden, Sapphire, etc. are horrific. Just trying to be hopeful - not boasting about the cabins I've had.

YEAH!!!!!!

I have been one of the biggest critics of Princess beds for years. I'm happy to hear they are listening. I have to say that the beds have improved over the last couple of years, but I agree that it's hit or miss. I was on the Royal for 20 days in October and the bed was fine. In April, I was on the Crown and the bed was awful. It says roll out by 2018. Does that mean that it will be complete by 2018 and starting on some ships sooner? I hope so. Something to look forward to.

I am thrilled to hear this, and thank you, Working2Cruise, for sharing that info here. It's only what constitutes a good mattress that is subjective; people can generally agree that a sagging mattress with hard edges is a bad one, and there are too many of those on Princess. Honestly, mattresses have picked up where smoking left off. Every time we open a cabin door for the first time, instead of wondering if the prior occupants smoked in the cabin, we wonder what shape the mattresses are in.

I also am guessing that an entire ship would not be changed out at one time, leading to the same questions here on CC about the state of the mattresses on the Whatever Princess. And some people will say they are brand new while others might disagree.

My only other thought is that, with that 3 year timeframe, it reminds me a bit of 9 year old me begging my mom to let me play this weekend, and next weekend I'll ________ (fill in the blank with paint the house, rotate the tires, cut down the trees, install new roofing, etc). My promises became more ambitious the further out they went.

Is it just me, or does have new Princess initiative have to be backed by a minor celebrity or public figure? They slap a picture of Dr. Michael Breus or Curtis Stone and assume everyone will agree it's the best thing that's happened to Princess.

A 9-year old could sketch a nicer bed than the one in the latest CC mag.....

We were on the Royal Princess for 20 days in October and the pillows were very comfortable (the best of any cruise we've been on). My DH, who is very particular about his pillow, liked them so much that he went to passenger services and asked who made them. The first answer was "we get them from the warehouse." Well that wasn't very helpful :D so they offered to check with the Hotel Manager. The next morning we had a message on our cabin phone giving us the name of the company. Turns out it is an Italian company (Matermoll) but thanks to the internet DH found a distributor in the US. Within a week of our return from the cruise he had his new pillow.

I looked at the name on the pillow tag. I did the same as your Dh and found the company, if my memory serves me, in Miami. They are imported from Italy. I had to wait a bit for mine as they were out of stock and waiting a shipment. Bought 2 of them and still use them.

I looked at the name on the pillow tag. I did the same as your Dh and found the company, if my memory serves me, in Miami. They are imported from Italy. I had to wait a bit for mine as they were out of stock and waiting a shipment. Bought 2 of them and still use them.

That is the same company DH used. When his pillow didn't have a tag I thought that would be the end of the hunt. We were very surprised to receive the message with the information the next day. That was wonderful service on Princess' part.

we had heard this news a few weeks ago on board a ship. Our friend is the Executive Housekeeper and he told us that not only beds but all new linen. Higher end sheets, duvets, pillows, towels etc are being rolled out.

Beds have gotten better but I have found it hit or miss on board. The linens certainly could be better, often see holes, tears, or too much wear. Other lines we have been on have been far better. But I like Princess. So glad to see they are upgrading.

It's true, it's true! We just got off the Crown last Saturday, December 5. Received a questionnaire survey saying our suite was picked to have the new bed and bedding. Wondering how we liked it - very nice actually, no complaints here.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for Crown info, what cabin number were you in? Maybe I booked the right suite. Did they replace in all Full suites and did you get the sleep amenities package too?

For paying full price I want a new mattress now tooooo, (sorry had to sob).

Best mattresses we have had hav been in the Grand Suites. We had a horrible mattress on Ruby earlier this year in full suite, no one cared.

I just received the Captain Circle Magazine. New Beds, created by Dr. Michael Breus, the Sleep Doctor, and designed by Candice Olson of HGTV, will be rolled out fleetwide through 2018.

Great news indeed! However, I wish Princess would roll this out faster!

I was quite confused because the Sapphire was mentioned, but not the Diamond, that we are sailing on in March. Guess we'll have to see when we get to the ship, but i'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the link. But darn it, I wish it were sooner on the ships *I* sail. LOL.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk