Excursion splurges

OldBoot

Another splurge, we had a private driver take us to Pompeii and then along the Amalfi Coast, stopped in Positano and Sorrento to buy Italian Pottery(arrived in perfect condition) and ate lunch at a small family farmhouse restaurant. After lunch the daughters taught me to make limoncello and orangecello, gave me a tour of their farm. Really a wonderful and remarkable day of gorgeous views, great pottery, and a surprise limoncello lesson. Now I always have Limoncello in my refrigerator.

And another one - this time in France, took a van to a boat which brought us out to view the Calanques de Cassis (gorgeous), visited a local food market and pastry shop, bought a picnic lunch at these places of ham, French Bread, cheese and pastries, went to an olive oil mill, bought olive oil and Herbs de Province in the olive wood grinder and then went wine tasting and bought wine. Just another day in paradise!

On that same trip, we did a FABULOUS Tuscan Hill Town adventure. These towns have amazing views and are equally beautiful to look at from below. They are a photographer's dream in every way! Our first stop was Volterra - with a commanding presence and sweeping views and a great place to buy alabaster. Second, San Gimignano (and ate the world's best gelato - and it WAS! (Gorgonzola flavor)), It was in San Gimignano that I discovered the crazy colored and oversized pasta from Morelli from Tuscany and Marella from Puglia. San Gimignano is beautifully preserved and just a fun place to visit, so quaint and charming. We went further along to Montepulciano, where we had a delicious lunch of pasta with wild boar, wonderful local wine and vin santo for dessert and then finally Sienna where we saw the Head and thumb of St. Catherine (relics) in the basilica and did some shopping. We had not gone to the basilica to look at relics, but I happened upon them and decided to look up the story behind these. After all, why would they just have her head and thumb? How did she die? As it turns out she died in her early 30's as she claimed she could only eat communion wafers and communion wine (was she an anorexic or did she have cancer or some other disease? We'll never really know.), these relics got to Sienna by way of a rather risky caper - they were stolen from the Vatican while under guard and brought to Sienna in a valise, which was searched when the theft was noticed, but only contained rose petals and then the head rematerialized upon its return to Sienna! Look up the story, it is fascinating. Anyway, this is why St. Catherine is often depicted in paintings with rose petals. This was her last miracle.

Interestingly enough, Volterra is actually the town in the Twilight books, but Montepulciano is where the Twilight film scenes (New Moon) for Volterra were filmed as Volterra has no central fountain as described in the books. The Tuscan hill towns were so individual and so interesting, it has made us want to go back and visit even more of them! Meanwhile, back in Florence, others from our cruise spent the whole day in the Academia Gallery. But I realized, if we did that, we'd see art but not Italy.

I feel so lucky and privileged to have had these experiences. They were all just amazing and so very, very special and unique.

St. Catherine (well, most of her) is laid to rest at the Basilica of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva in Rome. It is actually my favorite church to visit in Rome. Right behind the Pantheon.

I haven't done an excursion on a cruise yet. I'm DIY. But, I did do a splurge on a trip to Kenya. The safari was already stretching my budget. But, there was an offer of a dawn hot air balloon ride on the Masai Mara. I just couldn't turn that down!!! The photo in my .sig is from that ride...

Another splurge, we had a private driver take us to Pompeii and then along the Amalfi Coast, stopped in Positano and Sorrento to buy Italian Pottery(arrived in perfect condition) and ate lunch at a small family farmhouse restaurant. After lunch the daughters taught me to make limoncello and orangecello, gave me a tour of their farm. Really a wonderful and remarkable day of gorgeous views, great pottery, and a surprise limoncello lesson. Now I always have Limoncello in my refrigerator.

And another one - this time in France, took a van to a boat which brought us out to view the Calanques de Cassis (gorgeous), visited a local food market and pastry shop, bought a picnic lunch at these places of ham, French Bread, cheese and pastries, went to an olive oil mill, bought olive oil and Herbs de Province in the olive wood grinder and then went wine tasting and bought wine. Just another day in paradise!

On that same trip, we did a FABULOUS Tuscan Hill Town adventure. These towns have amazing views and are equally beautiful to look at from below. They are a photographer's dream in every way! Our first stop was Volterra - with a commanding presence and sweeping views and a great place to buy alabaster. Second, San Gimignano (and ate the world's best gelato - and it WAS! (Gorgonzola flavor)), It was in San Gimignano that I discovered the crazy colored and oversized pasta from Morelli from Tuscany and Marella from Puglia. San Gimignano is beautifully preserved and just a fun place to visit, so quaint and charming. We went further along to Montepulciano, where we had a delicious lunch of pasta with wild boar, wonderful local wine and vin santo for dessert and then finally Sienna where we saw the Head and thumb of St. Catherine (relics) in the basilica and did some shopping. We had not gone to the basilica to look at relics, but I happened upon them and decided to look up the story behind these. After all, why would they just have her head and thumb? How did she die? As it turns out she died in her early 30's as she claimed she could only eat communion wafers and communion wine (was she an anorexic or did she have cancer or some other disease? We'll never really know.), these relics got to Sienna by way of a rather risky caper - they were stolen from the Vatican while under guard and brought to Sienna in a valise, which was searched when the theft was noticed, but only contained rose petals and then the head rematerialized upon its return to Sienna! Look up the story, it is fascinating. Anyway, this is why St. Catherine is often depicted in paintings with rose petals. This was her last miracle.

Interestingly enough, Volterra is actually the town in the Twilight books, but Montepulciano is where the Twilight film scenes (New Moon) for Volterra were filmed as Volterra has no central fountain as described in the books. The Tuscan hill towns were so individual and so interesting, it has made us want to go back and visit even more of them! Meanwhile, back in Florence, others from our cruise spent the whole day in the Academia Gallery. But I realized, if we did that, we'd see art but not Italy.

I feel so lucky and privileged to have had these experiences. They were all just amazing and so very, very special and unique.

So glad you shared. I am loving everyone's stories. What great experiences; no regrets.

I haven't done an excursion on a cruise yet. I'm DIY. But, I did do a splurge on a trip to Kenya. The safari was already stretching my budget. But, there was an offer of a dawn hot air balloon ride on the Masai Mara. I just couldn't turn that down!!! The photo in my .sig is from that ride...

DIY is an aspiration of mine. I don't feel confident enough for most--and, I always seem to try to hit ALL the high points available, instead of enjoying the moment. (I have a dawn hot air balloon ride in mind for an upcoming splurge.) Would love to see other photos from that ride!

After our first cruise we decided to explore something other than the ship's tours. Of course this will depend on the comfort level of each individual.

We have pretty much done 50/50... small groups with others on our roll call, or private just the two of us. I book the private tours when I think we may want to do something a bit different, or in the case of Ephesus, it was so special to me I just wanted it to be us and the guide/driver.

In Honolulu we did a doors off helicopter which was amazing.

The Amalfi Coast we were a small group from roll call but went off with time on our own. DH and I also ended up buying some beautiful pottery which was delivered a couple of weeks ago.

In Rome we had a guide/driver to show us around the city, no lines or tickets. That was one of the most expensive but definitely worth it.

In Madeira it was just us and the driver and that was a fantastic day, in a four wheel drive, all over the island.

In Alaska DH went up in the plane over Mt. McKinley and he thoroughly enjoyed that.

Whatever you do I hope you have a fantastic time with wonderful memories.

Edited by SPacificbound

In Honolulu we did a doors off helicopter which was amazing.

The Amalfi Coast we were a small group from roll call but went off with time on our own. DH and I also ended up buying some beautiful pottery which was delivered a couple of weeks ago.

In Rome we had a guide/driver to show us around the city, no lines or tickets. That was one of the most expensive but definitely worth it.

In Madeira it was just us and the driver and that was a fantastic day, in a four wheel drive, all over the island.

In Alaska DH went up in the plane over Mt. McKinley and he thoroughly enjoyed that.

Whatever you do I hope you have a fantastic time with wonderful memories.

Oooh, some of this sounds quite recent. You must still have that after-cruise glow about you. :) Great choices, every one of them it seems. Thank you for the lovely wish for our holiday! You are kind to offer it and I appreciate your words.

• 1 year later...
I'm considering an excursion splurge on an upcoming cruise. I'm wondering if other cruisers would be willing to share a story about a time when you chose to splurge big on an excursion? Was it amazing or did you regret it?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm bumping this thread. It's been awhile AND we have just booked another cruise, so am in planning mode again. This was a fun thread before and I thought it might be fun again. Can't wait to hear about your favorite excursion splurge!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

I'm bumping this thread. It's been awhile AND we have just booked another cruise, so am in planning mode again. This was a fun thread before and I thought it might be fun again. Can't wait to hear about your favorite excursion splurge!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

It wasn’t while we were on a cruisebut we were in Cozumel last Christmas and did a private plane tour over toMayan ruins at Chichen Itza. It was about an hour flight there with just my DW and I andtwo pilots. When we got there we had an arial tour of the site before landing at the local airport. We had a private driver and private tour of thesite. We got there well before the crowds who took tour buses so we got to seea lot more of the site. and left before it got too crowded (and it got crowded!) The other bonus was that we were back on the beach by3pm. The bus tours got back around 9pm.

When we travel in Europe, I research the ports to see which ones we can see on our own and which are better served by an excursion.

Usually, I will book about three excursions or so depending on the length of the cruise.

All of them have been terrific. But, one of the stand outs was an all-day affair during our port stop in Monte Carlo, Monaco.

We began with a bus drive to Cannes, France where we spent an hour and a half walking around and enjoying a giant Boeuf and frommage or a cheese burger.

Next stop up to Grasse, perfume factory. Then a wonderful drive through the beautiful south of France countryside to reach the medieval mountain village St. Paul de Vence.

We finished off with a marvelous dinner at a typically French bistro type restaurant for a delicious meal before heading back to the ms Noordam awaiting us in port.

There have been other great tours, but, that was one of our favorite.

Jonathan

It wasn’t while we were on a cruisebut we were in Cozumel last Christmas and did a private plane tour over toMayan ruins at Chichen Itza. It was about an hour flight there with just my DW and I andtwo pilots. When we got there we had an arial tour of the site before landing at the local airport. We had a private driver and private tour of thesite. We got there well before the crowds who took tour buses so we got to seea lot more of the site. and left before it got too crowded (and it got crowded!) The other bonus was that we were back on the beach by3pm. The bus tours got back around 9pm.

That sounds fantastic. I can almost see

your smile as you post this memory. ^_^

Sent from my K00L using Tapatalk

When we travel in Europe, I research the ports to see which ones we can see on our own and which are better served by an excursion.

Usually, I will book about three excursions or so depending on the length of the cruise.

All of them have been terrific. But, one of the stand outs was an all-day affair during our port stop in Monte Carlo, Monaco.

We began with a bus drive to Cannes, France where we spent an hour and a half walking around and enjoying a giant Boeuf and frommage or a cheese burger.

Next stop up to Grasse, perfume factory. Then a wonderful drive through the beautiful south of France countryside to reach the medieval mountain village St. Paul de Vence.

We finished off with a marvelous dinner at a typically French bistro type restaurant for a delicious meal before heading back to the ms Noordam awaiting us in port.

There have been other great tours, but, that was one of our favorite.

Jonathan

I loved the Monaco port stop, but we didn't venture out as you did. What a lovely day! :-)

Since the South American and Europe excursions I reported on up-thread, last year we took six members of my family on the 7-day Vancouver RT Alaska cruise. I wanted to give them the best of what we had experienced on a longer ship-and-shore trip to AK some years ago, and I wanted everything to be smooth, so I picked from ship's ShoreX only and "shot the wad" at Juneau with a 3-part Mendenhall glacier/whale-watch/salmon-bake excursion. It was all I hoped for and everyone is ready to go back for a 14-day cruise next year!

The most expensive excursion we've ever taken was from Civitavecchia to Rome. It was our first European cruise DIY on all excursions but had to bite the bullet on the imperial Rome tour.

We saw more than I could of imagined and had a 3 course lunch included. We saw Trevi fountain, and bypass the line access to the forum, colosseum, and St. Peter's Bassilica.

We each threw our 3 coins in the fountain and are finally returning to Rome 9 years later this October. 10 friends and family are tagging along so it'll be a special trip.

We took a helicopter tour in Kauai. Very expensive for our family of four and sooooooooooo worth it. We all still talk about it years later.

In Juneau we did the Taku Lodge flight and feast (whatever it's called). That was another day to remember - it was awesome seeing all the glaciers from above, the salmon lunch was the best salmon we've ever had, we saw a bear at the grill, we did a nature walk with a guide - another awesome day we'll never forget.

We don't do the most expensive things there are to do everywhere we go, but if it's something you really want to do or see, or if you can't do or see it without spending some money, then you should go for it. No regrets.

The most expensive excursion we've ever taken was from Civitavecchia to Rome. It was our first European cruise DIY on all excursions but had to bite the bullet on the imperial Rome tour.

We saw more than I could of imagined and had a 3 course lunch included. We saw Trevi fountain, and bypass the line access to the forum, colosseum, and St. Peter's Bassilica.

We each threw our 3 coins in the fountain and are finally returning to Rome 9 years later this October. 10 friends and family are tagging along so it'll be a special trip.

Just a tip, this time, you might take the train into Rome and have a guide from http://www.througheternity.com meet you at the train station for a walking/taxi tour of Rome - it is much less expensive and you will see more than you ever imagined! List all the places you want to visit and your guide (usually a historian) will plan your route and take you all over Rome or choose one of their pre-planned tours. We saw:

Spanish steps

Fountain of 4 Rivers

Pantheon

Trevi Fountain

had lunch at a restaurant frequented by locals

Forum

Colloseum

All tickets were skip the line and I believe the shared tour (I think there were 7 of us) was $75 per person plus lunch and a $10 cab ride from the Trevi Fountain to the Forum. At the end of the day, our guide walked us to the train station near the Colosseum and made sure we got on the right train back to Civitavecchia.

Alaska Post-Cruise Excursion Splurge:

Drove rented car to Fairbanks and boarded Alaska Air flight (737 half-cargo / half-passenger) for tour package to Barrow on the Arctic Ocean. Included overnight at the Top of the World hotel and lunch that day (at Pepe's North of the Border Mexican Restaurant) as well as bus (old school bus) tour of the town and out to Point Barrow - about as far north as you can get on mainland North America. Since it was just a few days past the Summer solstice I went out to the beach at 1am to take a picture of the sun high in the sky straight in the north over the sea ice - one of the few places and times this is possible. A bunch of little kids were playing in the nearby playground. The sun would not be going down for another month. Barrow is a surreal place - about how I would imagine a colony on Mars to be like. The North Slope is very flat with zillions of little pothole lakes and almost no vegetation. No roads so everything comes by air or seasonal barge. Steak is cheaper than a lettuce salad (steak freezes OK, lettuce doesn't). A very educational and enlightening trip and well worth the $400 pp.

Since the South American and Europe excursions I reported on up-thread, last year we took six members of my family on the 7-day Vancouver RT Alaska cruise. I wanted to give them the best of what we had experienced on a longer ship-and-shore trip to AK some years ago, and I wanted everything to be smooth, so I picked from ship's ShoreX only and "shot the wad" at Juneau with a 3-part Mendenhall glacier/whale-watch/salmon-bake excursion. It was all I hoped for and everyone is ready to go back for a 14-day cruise next year!

Wow! So nice you were able to treat your family. Sounds wonderful. Hope you get to do it again soon. [emoji295]

What a great memory. Sometimes a splurge really pays off. Hope your planned trip with family and friends is just as wonderful.

We took a helicopter tour in Kauai. Very expensive for our family of four and sooooooooooo worth it. We all still talk about it years later.

In Juneau we did the Taku Lodge flight and feast (whatever it's called). That was another day to remember - it was awesome seeing all the glaciers from above, the salmon lunch was the best salmon we've ever had, we saw a bear at the grill, we did a nature walk with a guide - another awesome day we'll never forget.

We don't do the most expensive things there are to do everywhere we go, but if it's something you really want to do or see, or if you can't do or see it without spending some money, then you should go for it. No regrets.

It's good to choose wisely. We try for moderation most of the time. Those splurges are extra special when they happen. [emoji322]

We've done a couple of port call tours - but nothing I'd call a splurge. We splurge pre- or post-cruise -- a week or so in Rome, Tuscany, England, Provence, Istanbul, Paris - combining a land trip with a cruise as long as we are flying that way

I love this tip! :-)

Alaska Post-Cruise Excursion Splurge:

Drove rented car to Fairbanks and boarded Alaska Air flight (737 half-cargo / half-passenger) for tour package to Barrow on the Arctic Ocean. Included overnight at the Top of the World hotel and lunch that day (at Pepe's North of the Border Mexican Restaurant) as well as bus (old school bus) tour of the town and out to Point Barrow - about as far north as you can get on mainland North America. Since it was just a few days past the Summer solstice I went out to the beach at 1am to take a picture of the sun high in the sky straight in the north over the sea ice - one of the few places and times this is possible. A bunch of little kids were playing in the nearby playground. The sun would not be going down for another month. Barrow is a surreal place - about how I would imagine a colony on Mars to be like. The North Slope is very flat with zillions of little pothole lakes and almost no vegetation. No roads so everything comes by air or seasonal barge. Steak is cheaper than a lettuce salad (steak freezes OK, lettuce doesn't). A very educational and enlightening trip and well worth the $400 pp.

Great timing to be there near the summer Solstice. Once in a lifetime experience!

Wow! So nice you were able to treat your family. Sounds wonderful. Hope you get to do it again soon.

Yes, dr'spin's work life is grueling but it does have its perks. We have booking for five adjoining (not connecting) partially obstructed rooms on the Zaandam's Alaska Explorer for August 2018. Asked two members of my step-family in addition this time!

Last year in Juneau, we did a seaplane glacier tour. It was absolutely stunning and a wonderful adventure! But in Haifa on another cruise, we opted for a full day tour to Jerusalem. There was traffic, and it was a long three hour bus drive each way, leaving us very little time in the city itself. Though we were certainly glad to see the amazing sites of the old city, the rest of the day---including a relatively inedible lunch---was a long, hot grind. We're not senior citizens, but even for us it was an endless, exhausting day. We now stay away from the full day, 12 hour excursions that involve hours and hours on a bus or train.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last year in Juneau, we did a seaplane glacier tour. It was absolutely stunning and a wonderful adventure! But in Haifa on another cruise, we opted for a full day tour to Jerusalem. There was traffic, and it was a long three hour bus drive each way, leaving us very little time in the city itself. Though we were certainly glad to see the amazing sites of the old city, the rest of the day---including a relatively inedible lunch---was a long, hot grind. We're not senior citizens, but even for us it was an endless, exhausting day. We now stay away from the full day, 12 hour excursions that involve hours and hours on a bus or train.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The seaplane glacier tour sounds so beautiful. What a happy memory.