Passport Card and Driver's License enough?

batt01

That tiny, little Canada!

Only our population is tiny compared to the USA. The country itself is the second largest after the former USSR.

Example: British Columbia is the same size as Wash, Oregon, California , Idaho , part of Nevada and Arizona.

For me it's a convenience issue. It took 3 hours in line and waiting with the agent to get my kids passport. Researched more and found another location for the renewal - that was only 2 hours...

You can say due to size of country or whatever but the general culture here isn't to travel out of the country so passports aren't that important b

Only our population is tiny compared to the USA. The country itself is the second largest after the former USSR.

Example: British Columbia is the same size as Wash, Oregon, California , Idaho , part of Nevada and Arizona.

Sarcasm. Sorry, you missed it.

He was mentioning the massive size of the US being why people don't get a passport. The US isn't that large compared to Canuckistan. That was my little bit of humor.

Sarcasm. Sorry, you missed it.

He was mentioning the massive size of the US being why people don't get a passport. The US isn't that large compared to Canuckistan. That was my little bit of humor.

I got the humor, though my complete point was that, until recently, we were used to being able to travel all over our own large country and the neighboring ones without the need of a passport. So only those who were traveling much farther, like overseas trips, ever really needed a passport.

I hear you, but I have a Nexus card and I'm still taking my passport. Oh well maybe it's because us Canadian are much more likely to travel to the U.S. Which does require a passort

As an aside, I've been tempted to use my Nexus card (which is listed as a documentation option) for online check in, but am always a bit concerned that the port agents in the US won't know what it is.

As far as boarding airplane for a domestic flight only or ship, passport card will be sufficient.

Fixed.

The second part doesn't make sense. If they only have a passport card that is the same size as a DL, why wouldn't they take that? I can understand leaving a passport book because it's larger and made of paper, but why the small plastic card?

Thanks for the correction, and I assumed it was a domestic flight...what I mean by needing the DL to reboard is that you need that sometimes if you don't take your passport, which we have and don't take off the ship. We usually have to show our DL along with the boarding pass because we don't take our passports. Of course if they opt to take the passport card that would certainly work in place of the DL.

A big difference for why so many Americans don't have a passport is because the geography of our country covers such a wide range of climates.

I live in Michigan, which gets cold and snowy like much of Canada does in the wintertime. I can travel to southern California, Las Vegas, Texas, Florida, and countless other warm and sunny southern locations and spend time on a beach, in the desert, etc., all without ever leaving my own country (and therefore without needing any kind of ID beyond my driver license).

Canadians, however, don't have the luxury of lounging comfortably on a beach in February wearing only a swimsuit unless they leave their country. Therefore, Canadians are much more likely to have a passport, as they need one to fly to Florida or Cuba or Jamaica or Mexico or wherever they choose to warm up in the middle of winter.

A big difference for why so many Americans don't have a passport is because the geography of our country covers such a wide range of climates.

I live in Michigan, which gets cold and snowy like much of Canada does in the wintertime. I can travel to southern California, Las Vegas, Texas, Florida, and countless other warm and sunny southern locations and spend time on a beach, in the desert, etc., all without ever leaving my own country (and therefore without needing any kind of ID beyond my driver license).

Canadians, however, don't have the luxury of lounging comfortably on a beach in February wearing only a swimsuit unless they leave their country. Therefore, Canadians are much more likely to have a passport, as they need one to fly to Florida or Cuba or Jamaica or Mexico or wherever they choose to warm up in the middle of winter.

We can also fly to St Thomas and Puerto Rico and the other territories:).

Canadians can go to Vancouver and sometimes lie around on the beach in beach wear. Still most have to fly or drive to get somewhere warm.

I guess sometimes is the operative word there.

The month of February is characterized by gradually rising daily high temperatures, with daily highs around 47°F throughout the month, exceeding 56°F or dropping below 40°F only one day in ten.

Not exactly my idea of "lounging on the beach" temperatures! :eek: But maybe some Canucks are made of stronger stuff than Michiganders. ;)

We can also fly to St Thomas and Puerto Rico and the other territories:).

Exactly... tons and tons of different options available all year long, while still staying within the country and not needing anything more than a driver license (or other gov't issued photo ID to be able to board a plane, if flying).

If you miss the ship in Cozumel, you can rent a car, and if you have a passport card drive to the boarder (after you take the ferry of course to the mainland). It will take several days and but you can make it, plus it would be an adventure.

This is terrible advice. To get back to the US border either at California, Arizona or Texas they would have to drive through territory controlled by the cartels. Good way to get themselves killed. Just ask the Australian surfers who were found dead in their burned out car last week.

Edited by DebJ14

If you miss the ship in Cozumel, you can rent a car, and if you have a passport card drive to the boarder (after you take the ferry of course to the mainland). It will take several days and but you can make it, plus it would be an adventure.

This is terrible advice. To get back to the US border either at California, Arizona or Texas they would have to drive through territory controlled by the cartels. Good way to get themselves killed. Just ask the Australian surfers who were found dead in their burned out car last week.

I'm pretty sure that still qualifies as an adventure. A horrible one, but an adventure nonetheless.

ad·ven·ture

/adˈven(t)SHər,ədˈven(t)SHər/

noun

noun: adventure; plural noun: adventures

1. an unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity.

"her recent adventures in Italy"

synonyms: exploit, escapade, deed, feat, experience

2. daring and exciting activity calling for enterprise and enthusiasm.

"she traveled the world in search of adventure"

synonyms: excitement, thrill, stimulation, risk, danger, hazard, peril, uncertainty, precariousness

verb

verb: adventure; 3rd person present: adventures; past tense: adventured; past participle: adventured; gerund or present participle: adventuring

1. engage in hazardous and exciting activity, especially the exploration of unknown territory.

"they had adventured into the forest"

Edited by poncho1973
definition

I'm pretty sure that still qualifies as an adventure. A horrible one, but an adventure nonetheless.

That would be an adventure all right. Though I doubt you'd get a rental car company willing to allow that kind of a trip. (I guess, if you're up for that kind of adventure, you don't have to tell Avis what you're planning to do with their car...)

I think that was a joke, wasn't it?